New .204 results

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: New .204 results

Post by greyghost » 21 Nov 2014, 2:58 pm

And with factory ammo.

I like :D
Browning BLR .223
Sako 98 .270
greyghost
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Nov 2014, 3:08 pm

greyghost wrote:And with factory ammo.

I like :D

Yeah mate the little Howa's go alright, they've certainly served me well over the years of owning them all. It's a shame factory ammo is so expensive or I'd just shoot that instead of reloading for it. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by greyghost » 23 Nov 2014, 8:04 pm

Not worth your while reloading for the .204 ?
Browning BLR .223
Sako 98 .270
greyghost
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 23 Nov 2014, 8:12 pm

greyghost wrote:Not worth your while reloading for the .204 ?

Funny you say that cause I'm come to the same conclusion that factory seems to be as good as or better then stuffing around reloading. Having said that I've just bought some Nosler Varmageddon 32Gr projectiles I'll try out propelled by 23 gr of AR2207. Should be good for a fraction over 4000fps and if no better then the Hornady Factory stuff I'll stick to factory for this calibre.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Nov 2014, 8:16 pm

greyghost wrote:Not worth your while reloading for the .204 ?

Yeah definitely worth reloading for mate, heaps cheaper than factory ammo, last lot factory ammo I bought cost around $2 a shot! :shock:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by brett1868 » 23 Nov 2014, 10:19 pm

I bought 5 packs of 50 Hornady 32 gr rounds and think they were around $70 a pack which works out at $1.40 a shot. Still much cheaper to reload until factoring in the labour component then it's a close match between factory and reloads.

I'll still try the Nosler's though as I'm curious how fast I can push them before they vaporise leaving the muzzle :D If you think $2 a shot is steep, try $7 per round for reloads of the 50 or almost $9 per round for the .416. I saw 10 packs of Ultratech .416 Barrett with a $210 price sticker on them or $21 a shot.

Factory 50BMG is around $12 a shot when buying a 100 round case. This is one of the main reasons I practise excessively on the smaller calibres cause a miss on the big guns is a lot of money to waste making dust clouds.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Nov 2014, 4:36 am

Unfortunately no Hornady were available when I bought the Rem and Fed stuff and living in the bush you tend to pay more, just a fact of life out here unfortunately. Trust me mate when ti comes to the 204 you really want to reload for it as ammo can be hard to find for them at times often as can reloading components, hence why I bought 1200SBK's a while back along with 32gn Hornady V-max, 35gn Bergers, 26gn Barnes VG's etc etc plus 1000 cases and primers, and enough powder to fill em.

I don't have to worry about the next panic buy up in the US for years for any of my cals, they all run the same powder, most use the same size projectile/primer and I can use the same case for all bar one to resize if needed so I'm set in that regard.

Yeah I know the bigger cals are expensive my mate has em too, great fun to shoot but bloody expensive when you burn through a $2k a day or so playing with em! :lol: but not much use having money if you don't use it to enjoy yourself hey?

I love the 50cal, that muzzle blast is something to behold, one really should experience that at least once in their lifetime! :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by sha » 24 Nov 2014, 10:53 am

Too much for me to ever have a go.

Unless I can go to a range somewhere and buy 1 bullet :lol:
Savage Axis The Definition of Accuracy

Savage 93 .22 WMR
Savage 93R17 .17 HMR
Savage 110FP .308 WIN
sha
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by brett1868 » 24 Nov 2014, 11:25 am

"I love the 50cal, that muzzle blast is something to behold, one really should experience that at least once in their lifetime! "

Yep, nothing like getting a face full of dirt, dust and grass when shooting prone from the ground and losing all visability of the target till it settles :). Curious how much crap the 416 & DTA 50/416 will throw back at me with their different style brakes.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Kipper » 24 Nov 2014, 1:49 pm

This might be of some interest to you Brett.

Pretty good comparison of 10 muzzle brakes here on YouTube.

Muzzlebrake testing 1
Muzzlebrake testing 2
There is no 3 for some reason...
Muzzlebrake testing 4
Muzzlebrake testing 5

The test are for recoil, not debris, but might as well know how they perform while you're looking at them, right?
Kipper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Nov 2014, 4:56 pm

brett1868 wrote:"I love the 50cal, that muzzle blast is something to behold, one really should experience that at least once in their lifetime! "

Yep, nothing like getting a face full of dirt, dust and grass when shooting prone from the ground and losing all visability of the target till it settles :). Curious how much crap the 416 & DTA 50/416 will throw back at me with their different style brakes.

Whack her up on a table Brett, that's what my mate does, no issues with dirt and dust etc then. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by brett1868 » 24 Nov 2014, 6:17 pm

"Whack her up on a table Brett, that's what my mate does, no issues with dirt and dust etc then. :D"

My cousin built a steel bench for us to use which is plenty long enough and rock solid. It's more a problem when I grunt the canon up to the back paddock hunting those giant bunnies that's a problem. At least the DTA should be light enough to fire from a standing position so even with my short stature I shouldn't get dirt in my face :D
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Nov 2014, 6:23 pm

brett1868 wrote:"Whack her up on a table Brett, that's what my mate does, no issues with dirt and dust etc then. :D"

My cousin built a steel bench for us to use which is plenty long enough and rock solid. It's more a problem when I grunt the canon up to the back paddock hunting those giant bunnies that's a problem. At least the DTA should be light enough to fire from a standing position so even with my short stature I shouldn't get dirt in my face :D

Love it! :lol: those 50's sure have truck axles for barrels - spose it has to lobbing nearly 700gn projectile and bucket of powder each shot :lol: My mate had nose bleeds the first time he used it, fired a few too many and that night had some blood streaming from the snoz. :lol: :lol: I get headaches from being near the bastard too long. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Combat_Wombat » 24 Nov 2014, 7:35 pm

Muzzle blast a problem? Jut take it off haha can't be worse then a broken shoulder right?
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Nov 2014, 7:47 pm

Combat_Wombat wrote:Muzzle blast a problem? Jut take it off haha can't be worse then a broken shoulder right?

She'd be an interesting experiment alright, I volunteer you to squeeze the trigger mate. :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by brett1868 » 24 Nov 2014, 8:07 pm

Combat_Wombat wrote:Muzzle blast a problem? Jut take it off haha can't be worse then a broken shoulder right?

I had my right arm torn from the socket 11 years ago and now the shoulder is held together with a screw and a washer. Lucky enough it feels much stronger then the left one so recoils not a problem and being short and round I am my own bipod so I'll have a crack at just about anything. Still working on acquiring the Anzio 50/20 rifle from the U.S, 20mm Vulcan necked down to 50 Cal screams fun in any language :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 24 Nov 2014, 8:11 pm

brett1868 wrote:

I had my right arm torn from the socket 11 years ago and now the shoulder is held together with a screw and a washer. Lucky enough it feels much stronger then the left one so recoils not a problem and being short and round I am my own bipod so I'll have a crack at just about anything. Still working on acquiring the Anzio 50/20 rifle from the U.S, 20mm Vulcan necked down to 50 Cal screams fun in any language :)

lying, doesn't look like fun at all

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by effex » 25 Nov 2014, 9:41 am

brett1868 wrote:I had my right arm torn from the socket 11 years ago and now the shoulder is held together with a screw and a washer.

From shooting or unrelated?
effex
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by brett1868 » 25 Nov 2014, 10:15 am

effex wrote:
brett1868 wrote:I had my right arm torn from the socket 11 years ago and now the shoulder is held together with a screw and a washer.

From shooting or unrelated?

I came off the high side of a Hayabusa at speed and caught my arm under the wheel of a parked car whilst body surfing the bitumen. Thankfully after 30m I had decelerated somewhat so I still had my arm attached but tore all the ligaments & tendons off the bone. Spent 5 days in intensive care, another 2 weeks in hospital and almost 3 years of physio but it's all good now.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by greenonion » 25 Nov 2014, 3:23 pm

I did the same thing.... Coming off my bigwheel as a kid :lol:

Ok it's not the same.
greenonion
Recruit