Remington 700 SPS tactical for short range only?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Remington 700 SPS tactical for short range only?

Post by Techc » 07 Oct 2013, 6:21 pm

I'm looking at a new target rifle, probably .223 at this stage and am after some info on the Remington 700 SPS tactical if anyone can give me some feedback.

So it's got its 20" heavy barrel which gets a big wrap in a lot of reviews, some saying it's their most accurate barrel.

With the shorter barrel though there is some velocity loss as you'd expect, which is where my question comes in.

All the range tests I see people doing with the SPS tactical are at 100m only. Found one review where he did some 200m shooting.

Is the accuracy no good, or less good at long range? Because of the barrel? I'm looking to work my way up to 400, 500 and beyond so want something that will cut it all the way out to that.

What do we think of the Remington 700 SPS tactical for more than 200m shooting?
.223 Remington Savage Model 12 FV
.308 Remington 700 SPS tactical
Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40mm
Techc
Private
Private

South Australia

Re: Remington 700 SPS tactical for short range only?

Post by redrum » 07 Oct 2013, 6:39 pm

That is basically the idea of these 'tactical' rifles.

Absolute maximum accuracy at 100m and little consideration for much else.
Good news, everyone!
- Hubert J. Farnsworth
redrum
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Carter » 07 Oct 2013, 6:49 pm

I'm no expert on the 700 SPS Tactical, but I have recently got a Ruger M77 Mark II target rifle in .223

Affordable rifle and the best groups I've shot...

Can give you the thumbs up for the Ruger if you end up looking for something other than the Remington.
Carter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Herdsman » 07 Oct 2013, 7:01 pm

I think you'll find that Remington do all their in house range testing at 100m, so when they say the 700 SPS Tactical is their "most accurate" rifle, it's based on their test of 100m only.

I don't have the Remington myself, but I'd say a longer barrel .308 or .300 win mag is sure to be better at 500m and further that the SPS Tactical.
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by RealNick » 07 Oct 2013, 7:10 pm

Get a Remington 700 XCR Long Range Tactical in .300 Win Mag.

C'mooon!

:D
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 07 Oct 2013, 7:40 pm

Herdsman wrote:I think you'll find that Remington do all their in house range testing at 100m, so when they say the 700 SPS Tactical is their "most accurate" rifle, it's based on their test of 100m only.

Exactly.

I was speaking to the Remington rep at the Melbourne shot show a few months ago about this.

Remington 700 SPS tactical IS the most accurate at 100m which is the range they test their rifles at.

For long range shooting though he said the 700 XCR Long Range Tactical in .300 Win Mag was their best.

Realnick's the winner ;)
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Hodgie » 26 Oct 2013, 9:48 am

The 20" barrels on some "tactical" rifles is more a consideration for those requiring an easily maneouverable rifle in a built up environment. This mainly pertains to law enforcement marksmen. Most factory match ammunition in .308/7.62 NATO will experience complete propellant burn by the time the projectile leaves the muzzle. Longer barrels afford more headroom for hand loaded cartridges that need more barrel length to achieve a complete burn. Here's an interesting article on the subject: http://www.tacticaloperations.com/SWATbarrel/
Hodgie
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Oldboy 7mm Dakota » 26 Oct 2013, 10:23 am

Techc
To shoot to 500 you would want a barrel in 1 to 8 twist so you can run a heavy projectile.
Most 223s come with 1 to 12 twist and you can only shoot a lighter proj.
I have a 223 hs pro that has a 1 to 12 twist in a varmint barrel 24 " that i have shot to 500 and will do the job but only on a good day as to much wind will play havoc with your projectile. Also have custom 6.5 creedmore that does that range easy and more. Thinking of selling both as time to move some gear that just sits in safe and build some more cals.
Oldboy 7mm Dakota
Oldboy 7mm Dakota
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by Hodgie » 26 Oct 2013, 10:59 am

Sorry. Didn't see the .223 bit.
Hodgie
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Techc » 26 Oct 2013, 5:55 pm

Thanks for the additional info Oldboy, Hodgie.

Still on the fence about this. Grrrr.

Thinking about .308 in the same now instead.

Too much choice :D
.223 Remington Savage Model 12 FV
.308 Remington 700 SPS tactical
Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40mm
Techc
Private
Private

South Australia

Return to Centerfire rifles