Is forward recoil possible?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Is forward recoil possible?

Post by GLS_1956 » 06 Jul 2015, 12:25 pm

I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by pomemax » 06 Jul 2015, 12:57 pm

Just pondering "fire a shot in a vacuum" just a thought
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by KWhorenet » 06 Jul 2015, 1:57 pm

pomemax wrote:Just pondering "fire a shot in a vacuum" just a thought

What is your theory on this? Not having a dig. Just curious?

Personally;
I don't see how anything can influence the newtons 3rd law. Projectile gets pushed forward, equal pressure is felt rearward between the projectile and brass neck, then lining of the bore, imparting force on these surrounding contact/sealing points; thus pushing force back trough the rifle into you...

Vacuum or not, even boring a hole into a 20m diameter barrel 50m long, there will still rearward force albeit so dissipated it may/wont be felt but surely this day n age it should be measurable at the butt with an ultra sensitive accelerometer type thingamajig.

Just don't see any room for other scenarios to occur :crazy:
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Deco » 06 Jul 2015, 3:32 pm

Face the carpark, stick the rifle over your shoulder and shoot backwards.

"forward recoil" :lol:
Browning X-Bolt Hunter in .270 Winchester
Deco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Title_II » 06 Jul 2015, 7:24 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Yes ... if your using a air rifle

It's also the reason .50 rifles brake scopes, but many air rifle scopes can withstand .50 BMG.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by pomemax » 06 Jul 2015, 11:05 pm

KWhorenet wrote:

Personally;
I don't see how anything can influence the newtons 3rd law. Projectile gets pushed forward, equal pressure is felt rearward between the projectile and brass neck, then lining of the bore, imparting force on these surrounding contact/sealing points; thus pushing force back trough the rifle into you...

Vacuum or not, even boring a hole into a 20m diameter barrel 50m long, there will still rearward force albeit so dissipated it may/wont be felt but surely this day n age it should be measurable at the butt with an ultra sensitive accelerometer type thingamajig.

no i was thinking about if your in the vaccuum of space would the 3rd still apply suppose it would have to
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by KWhorenet » 07 Jul 2015, 7:05 am

pomemax wrote:
KWhorenet wrote:

no i was thinking about if your in the vaccuum of space would the 3rd still apply suppose it would have to

Inertia.

Astronaut pushes an object whilst in zero gravity. Both objects move away from each other.

A two part way to end up being moved in the same direction as the object you drive forward:
- Shoot a hole into a large vacuum / void,
- Initial recoil is felt backwards,
- Followed by being sucked forward into vacuum / void...this void could be my brain of late. Being suckered into buying someone's bunch of useless junk, half of which I didn't even ask for but buttered up to buy it anyway, then paying top dollar for the privilege. Feel free to test this theory.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by melanie » 07 Jul 2015, 11:16 am

pomemax wrote: no i was thinking about if your in the vaccuum of space would the 3rd still apply suppose it would have to

Maybe you just discovered cheap propulsion.

Don't need a squillion dollar space suit with thrusters and all just. Just a side arm to recoil yourself around where you want to go by shooting in the opposite direction :lol:
melanie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles