Savage Axis .223 - Thoughts As First Purchase ?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Savage Axis .223 - Thoughts As First Purchase ?

Post by Clarkey » 11 Nov 2014, 11:21 am

Thinking of buying a Savage Axis .223 mainly because of its low price and from research ive done its not a bad gun. Whats everyones thoughts on this gun in particular and would love some advice, cheers.
Clarkey
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Savage Axis .223 - Thoughts As First Purchase ?

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Nov 2014, 12:58 pm

It would probably be ok Clarkey, I don't own one, have used an older model that seemed ok, was shooting a bit ordinary at first but with some handloads and a fiddle with the action screws we soon got it shooting 20c groups with consistency.

I hear the Ruger Americans shoot alright, haven't had anything to do with them at all, Howa are another rifle that isn't expensive and are generally reliable and shoot well, Tikka have a good rep for being shooters.

I guess head down the LGS and handle a few and see if anything appeals.

good luck
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 11 Nov 2014, 3:42 pm

On A budget go the Howa!!!! IMHO
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Jack V » 11 Nov 2014, 4:38 pm

Don't touch an Axis they are a throw away gun . The problem is the coating system glues the barrel and nut in and it's hard to get off . So gunsmiths are not keen to do it . Go a Howa best value gun on the market , designed in Australia by people who knew what a good gun is . Made in Japan by Howa . Hammer forged barrels on German made machines. If you are dead set on an Axis go stainless model.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Combat_Wombat » 11 Nov 2014, 6:05 pm

Just take into consideration that this rifle if cared for well enough could potentially last you years decades or for life.

There is nothing wrong with picking something cheaper to get you started but a few hundred more dollars can go a long way.

What do you plan to do with it mate? Just punching some paper or hunting?
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Clarkey » 11 Nov 2014, 6:12 pm

Probably hunting pests mate, rabbits, foxes, etc, Like i said im just getting into the sport, ive been suggested this gun by people who said they loved it as their first rifle. I eventually plan to get probley a .308 or something more up market brand wise but this is just going to be my starter to get familiar to the sport.
Clarkey
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Timb0 » 11 Nov 2014, 6:15 pm

Have you got a budget ?
Marlin XT22 .22lr, Ruger M77/22 .22wmr, Rem 7615 .223, Ruger M77 .223, Weatherby MarkV .243, Rem 700 VLS .243, Kimber Montana .270, Weatherby MarkV .270Wby mag, Rem 700 .308, Khan ATac 12ga.
Timb0
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Clarkey » 11 Nov 2014, 6:32 pm

Well I dont really wanna spend more then 800 but preferably low as possibly the Savage is 510 bucks, thats why im considering getting it cause a lot people in person have said its a great gun with a few small tweaks (the trigger) it does the job perfectly for that price range. But by the time i get the savage which is 510 gotta get scope and gun safe, etc, all adds up to my budget.
Clarkey
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Nov 2014, 6:36 pm

If you are looking for cheap & light weight consider the Marlin X7. I purchased a Marlin X7 in 3006 & more recently 223. Similar trigger system to savage and very light at 6 1/4 lb if that's what you are looking for. Both shot a tad under 1" at 100 yards with my first hand loads. About the same price as the savage. Does the cheaper savage have the accu trigger? All Marlin X7's have the pro-fire trigger. Most others are considerably heavier. I think the X7 are worth considering.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Clarkey » 11 Nov 2014, 6:41 pm

The Marlin X7 is actually cheaper but I dont know much about it at all but will take into consideration and do some research. And no the savage axis dont have the accu trigger however from research its easy to fix the trigger issue that some people have.
Clarkey
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Combat_Wombat » 11 Nov 2014, 6:46 pm

Clarkey wrote:Probably hunting pests mate, rabbits, foxes, etc, Like i said im just getting into the sport, ive been suggested this gun by people who said they loved it as their first rifle. I eventually plan to get probley a .308 or something more up market brand wise but this is just going to be my starter to get familiar to the sport.

Yeah sounds like you know what your talking about anyway. I had a mate who wanted a .223 axis and only wanted to drop pigs with it.

Have a look at the new ruger American predator. Comes with a slightly heavier barrel then the standard and comes with a rail so that will save on buying mounts.
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Clarkey » 11 Nov 2014, 6:58 pm

Yer I might consider getting the Ruger Aswell for sure.
Clarkey
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by FuzzyM » 11 Nov 2014, 9:57 pm

I like mine, have only taken it out to sight it in so far.

I wanted to get into a centerfire and this was an affordable way to start.

I would recommend getting an Axis 2, which has the excellent accutrigger.
I have the accutrigger on my MKII and I missed it when I used the Axis, I have now taken 1 1/2 turns off the trigger spring so hopefully this will help a little, but a bit of dryfiring suggests it is still a bit heavy and has a little bit of creep now.

I quite like the funky hand grip bits on the stock.

The forend has a lot of flex, which may be detrimental if you are chasing 1/4 MOA off a bipod or something :lol:

I don't like the fact that it is a long action even though it is chambered in .223. But not really a big drama.

Overall I am quite happy with the rifle for the money, just needs a better trigger and I am keen to upgrade the cheapy package scope to something a bit better.
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Timb0 » 11 Nov 2014, 10:00 pm

Its hard when your on a budget and your trying to get everything from scratch for your first firearm. If getting started means you can only afford a cheap rifle and an axis is what you want then that"s how it is. I think you will find that most of the rifles around that money are similar, they aren't great but they will do.
You will probably want to up grade this rifle one day and you will be lucky to get half of what you paid for it. So if you can wait a bit and save a bit more you might be better off getting a Howa or similar.
Another idea is if your not planing on going shooting pigs with your mates straight up then maybe you should get a rim fire first. You will learn the deal with firearm ownership, get to practice at the range, go in comps and ammo is cheap! You could get a good CZ just about with that money and you would probably keep it for a very long time.
I sold my old .22 to a mate then bought a cheaper one a year or 2 later. I wish I didn't do it in the end.
Make sure you put enough away so you can get a decent scope too.
Marlin XT22 .22lr, Ruger M77/22 .22wmr, Rem 7615 .223, Ruger M77 .223, Weatherby MarkV .243, Rem 700 VLS .243, Kimber Montana .270, Weatherby MarkV .270Wby mag, Rem 700 .308, Khan ATac 12ga.
Timb0
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by North East » 11 Nov 2014, 10:11 pm

Don't be put off by people about the Axis. It's no bench rest gun but was never mean't to be. It's a hunting rifle and for that will do the job. They work in .223 or bigger calibers. They are pretty cheap and work.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Clarkey » 12 Nov 2014, 10:07 am

Just an Update guys, after some further research and going down to the gun smith guys, weve been told go with the Ruger American which im happy with.
Clarkey
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Nov 2014, 10:31 am

Clarkey wrote:Just an Update guys, after some further research and going down to the gun smith guys, weve been told go with the Ruger American which im happy with.

It should do nicely mate, enjoy it, I know a fella who has one in 308 from memory, he loves it and reckon it shoots real well. Just try a few diff brands of ammo and see which one it shoots the best, then buy up if you're happy with it.

Good luck and don't forget to do a report on it once you've got it and sorted it.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Jack V » 12 Nov 2014, 2:06 pm

Clarkey wrote:Just an Update guys, after some further research and going down to the gun smith guys, weve been told go with the Ruger American which im happy with.

That is a better choice .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by squirrelhunter » 13 Nov 2014, 6:41 pm

Ruger make solid firearms, mate.

You'll be happy with it :)
Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308
Bushnell 3-9x 40mm - Multi-X
squirrelhunter
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles