Would you accept new rifle in this condition

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Would you accept new rifle in this condition

Post by KWhorenet » 14 Nov 2014, 9:39 pm

Hi,
Went to pick up a brand new Remington 572 Fieldmaster pump action .22 today.

Was excited until I took a closer look.

I think the pics should tell the story. Needless to say I didn't accept it.
The LGS staff agreed with me that a NEW rifle shouldn't look used, have damaged screws heads, have the action screw collar canted, have a build up of gritty carbonised grease in the breach, an obviously rusty bolt, ejection port surface finish chipped to bare metal, bluing worn to bare metal on 'mag tube' and 'slide action rail', fore end wood contacting mag tube constantly, dirty dull bore.

To me this rifle appears to have been a used returned/repaired item that's been re sold as a NEW item.

Would you accept it for a $1060 NEW .22lr?

Am I being too picky?
Attachments
2014-11-14 18.24.27.jpg
Fore wood screw head damaged.
2014-11-14 18.24.27.jpg (980 KiB) Viewed 5740 times
2014-11-14 18.22.33.jpg
Rusty bolt, gritty dirty breach. Surface finish chipped to bare metal around ejection port.
2014-11-14 18.22.33.jpg (864 KiB) Viewed 5740 times
2014-11-14 18.19.55.jpg
Bluing worn through to bare metal along mag tube from wood contacting and being used.
2014-11-14 18.19.55.jpg (804 KiB) Viewed 5740 times
2014-11-14 18.23.12.jpg
Very worn looking slide rails. Not expected from a brand new gun.
2014-11-14 18.23.12.jpg (824 KiB) Viewed 5740 times
2014-11-14 18.21.09.jpg
Action screw head damaged and collar canted.
2014-11-14 18.21.09.jpg (884 KiB) Viewed 5740 times
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Re: Would you accept new rifle in this condition

Post by KWhorenet » 14 Nov 2014, 9:40 pm

Click on pics to see fully.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Chronos » 14 Nov 2014, 9:46 pm

no i wouldn't accept it....trying hard not to make a smart arsed lemmington remark here :)

i think you're well within your rights to request a NEW one.'

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by KWhorenet » 14 Nov 2014, 9:55 pm

Haha Chronos, the word has crossed my mind too. I didn't think Remington had issues with their own designs. That's a stab about the Remlins of course.

I was tossing up between the Browning Lever Action and this. If I get shafted or dikced around by you know who, I may attempt a switch to the Browning LA.

I just miss my old Pump 12G and the Fieldmaster is a pretty little thing... I couldn't resist.

I'm sure they will make things $1060 right. Touch wood!!
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by tom604 » 14 Nov 2014, 9:57 pm

its not new, is there any way of finding out if it was sold before?
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by KWhorenet » 14 Nov 2014, 10:09 pm

tom, I'd think if it was sold before it would have an ownership history of more than just import-distributor-my LGS-me.

Surely that could be searched, but easily by whom ?
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by brett1868 » 14 Nov 2014, 10:58 pm

I had a similar experience with a dealer who will remain nameless.

I did all the leg work with an out of state dealer but ended up having my LGS buy it from them as it would save me some $ on shipping. The so called "New" rifle had fired >100 rounds and not been cleaned, was shipped loose in a cardboard box with a little bubble wrap and had a shonky welding repair of a part that retained the firing pin in the bolt. Needless to say I tore the out of state dealer a new one, refused payment and told them to stick it where the sun don't shine cause they lied to me, gave me a lot of crap and refused point blank to resolve several key issues I had with the rifle.

In this particular case my LGS sorted the issue by returning it to the dealer and organising a replacement direct from the importer. It pays to support your local dealer, when things go south they will generally look after you. The dealer is also an importer / distributer of product, I now ask shops where they buy from and if it's that dealer I won't buy it and I'll source alternatives even if it means paying more or waiting longer.

Hope it all works out for you
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by KWhorenet » 14 Nov 2014, 11:52 pm

Cheers Brett, sorry to hear your experience was similar.

I'm only on day one of the journey. Just hope there is no debate over what is an acceptable resolution. I don't want 'fixed'/repaired/covered up.

To me the ONLY resolution is to take the crap back and send an un marked, brand new rifle as ordered & paid for without question.

Would be nice to also receive a nice new gun carry bag and a T-shirt for my troubles ;) Might have to drop that idea on my LGS guy who will be dealing with the distributor.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by MeccaOz » 15 Nov 2014, 12:50 am

Nope !
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by KWhorenet » 15 Nov 2014, 1:29 am

I'm a sucker for punishment. To ease my retail angst, ordered a scope for the pee shooter I haven't even got yet.
Leupold Mark AR MOD 1 3-9x40mm FireDot-G TMR

Ahhhh I feel better
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Nov 2014, 5:32 am

Take it back mate as its not as described (new) if they give you any BS get on to the Dept Fair Trading and go from there. It's clearly damaged (barrel blue scraped off) and the damage to the screw heads etc. Have a read of the new Consumer Protection Laws and let em know you know your rights.

I had a recent experience with a Laptop that crapped itself about 8mths out of warranty period, I got onto DFT to see what my rights were in this regard as it just wasn't acceptable to me that a $1300 computer would s**t itself so soon, anyway I had some recourse so I took it back to Hardley Norman who tried to tell me it was out of warranty and I'd have to pay the repair costs, I soon quoted him the new Consumer Protection Laws etc and he soon changed his mind and upshot was it was repaired for free (motherboard crapped out), same thing happened with the wifes phone, it crapped out 3 times within a few mths, every time it was repaired it would come back with the same problems plus a few more, in the end Telstra had to replace it for a brand new one of our choice. (No more Sony Products ever for me 2 laptops and a phone now that have crapped out within a year or less of owning them)

Anyway mate stand your ground - have a read of the New Consumer Protection Laws and go from there.

Good luck
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 15 Nov 2014, 6:41 am

GI Day KWhorenet I bought this exact rifle the 572 rem pump as I always wanted one since I was a kid earlier this year. had a s**t load of issues like the cover plate in front of the trigger just kept falling off and as for accuracy it was just "s**t" we tried everything from A-Z Ammo in this rifle to get it to shoot and not going into the jamming issues!!!! Truly it was the worst quality built rifle I've ever owned it pissed me off so much I traded it after 4 weeks back on a Leopold Mark 4 scope for a 223 Tikka!! I recon I'd get that Browning A>S>A>P. I have had a lot of Remington's in the past like back in the 80's and 90's but I wouldn't touch 1 with a 10 foot barge pole now days!!! I also have a rem 700 and have spent a Obber load of coin getting it sorted so Rems aren't high on the Christmas card list this year for me. They were alright when Billy Bob was making them but now days I cant stand the thought of owning Juan :lol: :lol: :lol:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Nov 2014, 8:37 am

Westy wrote:GI Day KWhorenet I bought this exact rifle the 572 rem pump as I always wanted one since I was a kid earlier this year. had a s**t load of issues like the cover plate in front of the trigger just kept falling off and as for accuracy it was just "s**t" we tried everything from A-Z Ammo in this rifle to get it to shoot and not going into the jamming issues!!!! Truly it was the worst quality built rifle I've ever owned it pissed me off so much I traded it after 4 weeks back on a Leopold Mark 4 scope for a 223 Tikka!! I recon I'd get that Browning A>S>A>P. I have had a lot of Remington's in the past like back in the 80's and 90's but I wouldn't touch 1 with a 10 foot barge pole now days!!! I also have a rem 700 and have spent a Obber load of coin getting it sorted so Rems aren't high on the Christmas card list this year for me. They were alright when Billy Bob was making them but now days I cant stand the thought of owning Juan :lol: :lol: :lol:

You got lucky Westy, at least yours fired! the bloke I saw at the range a few years back rolled up to shoot his band new SPS and it wouldn't fire or extract the unfired round :lol:

I wouldn't even contemplate owning any of these New Remingtons - just not worth the bloody BS that inevitable ensues.

If I was ol mate I'd be demanding my money back and buying something better!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Chronos » 15 Nov 2014, 8:53 am

Westy wrote:but now days I cant stand the thought of owning Juan :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 15 Nov 2014, 11:14 am

A blind man in a coma could see that is NOT a new rifle.

Stand up for your rights, and go back armed with all your "protection" rights, and demand your cash back.

Might be worth a try by ringing Firearms Branch,,,, explain the story,,,, and ask nicely if they can check the Serial number, to find out if its been registered previously.
And if it has,,,,,,,,, see what the retailer has to say about that. (I'd love to be a fly on the wall)

Worth a try I think.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 15 Nov 2014, 11:30 am

That's been returned for some reason or another and flogged off as a new......

no way,,,,, money back or replacement..
Collector 1
More Brno's than you can poke a stick at..!!!!
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by KWhorenet » 15 Nov 2014, 11:36 am

About to ask the LGS if it is a given that it will be refunded since they also agreed it isn't in acceptable condition.

If so will wack the store credit straight on a Browning BL-22 lever action.

Once burnt twice shy. Trust issue.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Arth » 15 Nov 2014, 11:48 am

KWhorenet wrote:tom, I'd think if it was sold before it would have an ownership history of more than just import-distributor-my LGS-me.

May not have been sold, could be a display that's been handled 100 times without a clean though.

Wouldn't take it either way.
Arth
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Joom » 15 Nov 2014, 11:49 am

No way, BS that is new.
Remington 700 and... Who needs another rifle?
Joom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Khan » 15 Nov 2014, 11:50 am

KWhorenet wrote:Am I being too picky?

LMAO, no way.

That's a joke pitching that as new.
44 Rem. Magnum Marlin Model 1894
.280 Rem. Browning X-Bolt Hunter
Khan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Seik » 15 Nov 2014, 11:50 am

Good call walking away from it.
Seik
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by KWhorenet » 15 Nov 2014, 12:32 pm

LGS assured me it wouldn't be the Distributor doing a dodge. LGS has accepted to refund. Great to deal with.

Going with a Browning BL-22 lever action (blued/wood grade 2) instead.

*EDIT*
*Distributors please note: I retract any insinuations if unfounded. Just lost my sh!t yesterday which was for good reason. Rifle turned up in poor condition.

My LGS should have returned it before I even looked at it.

Done and dusted.
Last edited by KWhorenet on 15 Nov 2014, 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Nov 2014, 12:50 pm

Great news mate, glad they did the right thing. Hopefully the Browning BL-22 will be a better choice.

Good luck
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by 1290 » 15 Nov 2014, 1:14 pm

If the dealer was passing that off as new......an obvious factory return or possibly even second handy!!

I say we're very close to a name and shame territory here.... mods chip in if we have a no name-and-shame policy.

Dont blame Rem, if its a return then the dealer would have received a reimbursement for the cost on the basis that its onsold at a discount (return/usedy).
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by KWhorenet » 15 Nov 2014, 2:32 pm

Agreed.

Rifle turned up in poor condition.

My LGS should have returned it before I even looked at it.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Westy » 15 Nov 2014, 3:55 pm

I wouldn't be retracting "ANYTHING" it is what it is, a piece of "s**t" :o :shock: :evil: You got the pictures now to prove it and they haven't got a leg to stand on if they supplied that to you, surprised the LGS even excepted it in that condition!!!!!! Might be needing to look for a new LGS IMHO good move in not excepting it :evil: :roll: :twisted:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Aster » 16 Nov 2014, 7:29 am

1290 wrote:I say we're very close to a name and shame territory here.... mods chip in if we have a no name-and-shame policy.

Need to leave the names out of it all.

Just best to avoid potential drama.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Nov 2014, 9:35 am

Aster wrote:Need to leave the names out of it all.

Just best to avoid potential drama.

Bloody oath.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by headspace » 16 Nov 2014, 4:19 pm

I reckon that if your LGS has accepted things as they are and agreed on a substitute you're doing OK. Like most of us here I like to deal locally and have massive anxiety issues about buying a firearm sight unseen. Rather pay a little more and know what I'm getting.

JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 16 Nov 2014, 4:25 pm

glad you got it sorted KWhorenet

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant