Trigger control

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Trigger control

Post by RoginaJack » 15 Dec 2014, 9:52 pm

Jenna, one of the exercises we used to do was "dry firing'. From the Prone position and with the .22 I used a fired "rat shot shell" , to protect the rimfire firing pin from striking the chamber. Have someone walk around behind you and check your position and release etc,

Cheers,
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by wheedle » 16 Dec 2014, 1:32 pm

What's the rat shot shell changing over just shooting normal ammo?
wheedle
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 16 Dec 2014, 4:00 pm

The .22 rat shot is or was a 22lr rimfire cartridge that was crimped at the end and contained a small charge of shot. It was similar to a shotgun shell and used it for shooting rats, mice etc. It was the same length as a .22 lr but was a full length brass shell. When fired the crimp opened up & out can the shot. A bit rough on the rifling as the shot was loose - not in a hull.

I just used it while practicing "Holding Aiming and Firing" drills to give the firing pin something to strike against and being "full length" shell, would feed through a box magazine or easier to single load . A bit like using a drill round. .

I didn't use it to replace normal ammo but I'd practice the drill in the bedroom in front of a mirror. Learn a lot doing this.

Cheers,
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by wheedle » 17 Dec 2014, 10:15 am

RoginaJack wrote:being "full length" shell, would feed through a box magazine or easier to single load . A bit like using a drill round.

Right, right. Makes sense.

That's what I wasn't putting together.
wheedle
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 18 Dec 2014, 9:53 am

wheedle wrote:
RoginaJack wrote:being "full length" shell, would feed through a box magazine or easier to single load . A bit like using a drill round.

Right, right. Makes sense.

That's what I wasn't putting together.

That's great wheedle, I should have explained it in a bit more detail in the 1st place. :oops:

I was instructed not to "dry fire" a .22 rimfire or I imagine any rinfire for that matter 'cause there is a chance that the firing pin or chamber could be damaged with nothing for the pin to strike.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by lole » 18 Dec 2014, 12:09 pm

I wasn't following to start either.

"To practice shooting, I shoot with ammo!"

Some revolutionary tactic you've developer there :lol:

Good tip though as you can feed them. Hand feeding an empty case into the chamber and spinning it for the firing pin is a fkn pain.

I used to do that when fiddling with my rimfire and needing to dry fire it.
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles