P13 and P14 rifles

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: P13 and P14 rifles

Post by Chronos » 01 Apr 2015, 6:31 pm

tarnagulla wrote:P13 rifles (in their original .276 chambering) are indeed rare. I recall seeing one for sale in the early eighties at a Gun Show in Melbourne, have never seen one for sale before or since...
When the feathers hit the fan in 1914, it soon became obvious to the British that vast numbers of rifles would eventually be required, far more than the numbers of SMLE rifles that could be produced in England, so it was decided to introduce the P13 in the existing .303 calibre (there were issues with the experimental .276 calibre, particularly rapid throat erosion) but with no hope of producing them in England, orders for such rifles were contracted out to the then neutral USA, Remington and Winchester (the "ERA" production was from a subsidiary of Remington). Thus we have the P14.
Of course, America found itself in much the same position when it entered WWI in 1917 - Springfield had no hope of producing the huge number of their .30-06 rifles, which were standard issue for the US Army at the time, so to meet the shortfall, contracts were awarded to Remington and Winchester to re-tool their P14 lines to allow for a change to .30-06 calibre rifles - hence the M17 (Model of 1917, to be more accurate). "P17" is nonsense, of course...
As for uncomfortable - well, I have used both P14 and M17 rifles in M<ilitary (or Copmbined Service) Discipline comp., and they are not only comfortable, but slick, smooth, and accurate.
Just my two bob's worth, as an old bloke...

Shot a M1917 a few weeks ago, not an entirely unpleasant experience ;)

Probably more accurate than any No1, No3 i have shot, hard to tell from the small number of shots. Is that a common thought?

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 01 Apr 2015, 6:43 pm

I think its fair to say that its generally accepted that front lockers are more accurate than rears (the photo of the Aussie holding a p14 sniper NOT a LE!!).... but the LE, in the right hands is damned fast, add to that strippers clip reloads :thumbsup: theyre good for 2000+ yards!!! well the volleys say so! :D

In practice, when shooting off hand or prone, with open sights, whether you're shooting a mauser or a Lee, it all depends on YOUR eye and YOUR technique.... where the action locks is kind of less relevant.
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 01 Apr 2015, 7:18 pm

1290 wrote:I think its fair to say that its generally accepted that front lockers are more accurate than rears (the photo of the Aussie holding a p14 sniper NOT a LE!!).... but the LE, in the right hands is damned fast, add to that strippers clip reloads :thumbsup: theyre good for 2000+ yards!!! well the volleys say so! :D

In practice, when shooting off hand or prone, with open sights, whether you're shooting a mauser or a Lee, it all depends on YOUR eye and YOUR technique.... where the action locks is kind of less relevant.

well i now own a LE and a Mauser, so just a springfield, a Lebel, a Caracano, an Ariska, a Mosin nagant and a swede to go, no wait i want service rifles not farm guns :lol:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Old Fart » 02 Apr 2015, 8:07 am

Chronos wrote:Shot a M1917 a few weeks ago, not an entirely unpleasant experience ;)

Nice :)
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - .270 Winchester Short Magnum
Uberti 1873 Short Rifle - .45 Colt
Winchester Model 70 Coyote Varmint - .22-250 Remington
Old Fart
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Return to Centerfire rifles