Which Mag System do you Prefer?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Which Mag System do you Prefer?

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Dec 2014, 6:51 pm

Chronos wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:What's the design fault with the smaller cals mag setup mate?

Ahh howapowa will try and troll tikka owners :lol:

It's not a design fault mate, just a side effect of using a large diameter bolt for a small diameter case, the round sits lower than the chamber when it sits on top of the magazine.

A non issue in a mag fed hunting rifle as tgey feed fine from the mag , the only time it's noticed is when seating bullets long trying to reach the lands and they won't fit in the mag.

When I was shooting a 1: 8" twist .233 with 69gr I just seated them to mag length and it still shot .6 " at 200 y and could feed 3 x 5 shot mags in under 45 seconds on target

Chronos

Cheers mate, I guess the result of cheap manufacturing processes to save a few $$ - I reckon the Sako Mag setup is the go if you like DBM's - gives you the best of both worlds.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 08 Dec 2014, 6:51 pm

RDobber wrote:
RoginaJack wrote:My factory issued Tikka .243Win mag. holds 3+1 rounds and the spare 5+1.

Off-topic but just FYI, I saw a mob in the US are making 10-shot steel Tikka mags now.

Hopefully some good ones come out for a decent price.

I have few will post picks later ,they work a treat for rapid fire at the military comps!!!!! :lol: :D :lol:
Man I love my Tikka's!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

What did one Howa say to the other Howa?????
When I grow up I'm going to be a Tikka!!!!

Then the other Howa said sorry but you'll have to be a Girl Tikka as you only have floor plate and not a Magazine poking out!!!!! :lol: :D :lol:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Dec 2014, 7:06 pm

Westy wrote:
RDobber wrote:
RoginaJack wrote:My factory issued Tikka .243Win mag. holds 3+1 rounds and the spare 5+1.

Off-topic but just FYI, I saw a mob in the US are making 10-shot steel Tikka mags now.

Hopefully some good ones come out for a decent price.

I have few will post picks later ,they work a treat for rapid fire at the military comps!!!!! :lol: :D :lol:
Man I love my Tikka's!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

What did one Howa say to the other Howa?????
When I grow up I'm going to be a Tikka!!!!

Then the other Howa said sorry but you'll have to be a Girl Tikka as you only have floor plate and not a Magazine poking out!!!!! :lol: :D :lol:

:lol: :lol: Have a guess what the little Tickler said to the Big Tickler I wish my mag worked like your's, my owners have to keep pulling me apart to use me as a single feed! :lol: and the both Ticklers said I wished we had the mag capacity that the Howa does from the factory. :lol: I mean really what the f*** is a 3 shot Mag capacity about? :D Oh but its easy to remedy once you stump up another couple hundred $$ :lol:

Have fun with ya plastic mags boys - try not to lose em at the servo again Westy! :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 08 Dec 2014, 7:11 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Pretty sure you guys can't read???(punching my head) I'll try again the story goes I left the mag in the side pocket of the front door and only found it when
I got to the servo to pay for the fuel!!!!I reached into the side pocket of the door to grab my wallet and found the Mag!!!It was never lost at the f***ing Servo!!! Is that easier for you to understand???? WTF!!!!! Ohhh and floor plates suck are are a cheap ass alternative to a good magazine!!!!!!!! I have never seen a military rifle with a floor plate wonder why???? :x :x :x
Last edited by Westy on 08 Dec 2014, 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 08 Dec 2014, 7:12 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Chronos wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:What's the design fault with the smaller cals mag setup mate?

It's not a design fault mate, just a side effect of using a large diameter bolt for a small diameter case, the round sits lower than the chamber when it sits on top of the magazine.

A non issue in a mag fed hunting rifle as tgey feed fine from the mag , the only time it's noticed is when seating bullets long trying to reach the lands and they won't fit in the mag.

When I was shooting a 1: 8" twist .233 with 69gr I just seated them to mag length and it still shot .6 " at 200 y and could feed 3 x 5 shot mags in under 45 seconds on target

Chronos

Cheers mate, I guess the result of cheap manufacturing processes to save a few $$ - I reckon the Sako Mag setup is the go if you like DBM's - gives you the best of both worlds.

LOL, yeah, must be :lol:

i think the flush sako mag is a good thing and as you say the best of both worlds except for the release system, a bit slow for mag changes but a lot of bushies would probably top load the mag just like their ond winchester 70 :lol:

the honest truth is the Sako would want to have something to it for the extra $$$. I'd take 2 Tikka Hunter stainless fluted over 1 sako 85 hunter stainless every day of the week and twice on sundays.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Dec 2014, 7:29 pm

Westy wrote:^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Pretty sure you guys can't read???(punching my head) I'll try again the story goes I left the mag in the side pocket of the front door and only found it when
I got to the servo to pay for the fuel!!!!I reached into the side pocket of the door to grab my wallet and found the Mag!!!It was never lost at the f***ing Servo!!! Is that easier for you to understand???? WTF!!!!! Ohhh and floor plates suck are are a cheap ass alternative to a good magazine!!!!!!!! I have never seen a military rifle with a floor plate wonder why???? :x :x :x

Just to help you remember what you said Westy :D
I'm a huge fan of DBM . Lost the bloody mag last trip on the 223 found it on the way home at the servo!!!LOL had to do some shooting with the 6.5 the last day or so!!! Still like the removable Mag myself kind of idiot prof for new shooters!!!

Anyone reading that would think you'd lost it at the servo and then found it on the way home :lol: (shrugs shoulders) :D ya found it again mate, that's the main thing hey, not a prob I will ever experience :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Dec 2014, 7:38 pm

Chronos wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
Chronos wrote:

Chronos

LOL, yeah, must be :lol:

i think the flush sako mag is a good thing and as you say the best of both worlds except for the release system, a bit slow for mag changes but a lot of bushies would probably top load the mag just like their ond winchester 70 :lol:

the honest truth is the Sako would want to have something to it for the extra $$$. I'd take 2 Tikka Hunter stainless fluted over 1 sako 85 hunter stainless every day of the week and twice on sundays.

Chronos

Yes I think I'd probably do the same thing (hunter version of the Tikka) - I guess it comes down to what you want to own and how much you're willing to pay for it hey, that's why I stick to the Howa's they don't cost a lot and are customisable without costing a fortune to do, that works for me, I'm not into fancy wood or any of that over priced stuff, I rather pay a fair price and own something I can use and not be paranoid about damaging type thing.

I've got a Sako in the safe now that I don't use - I'd rather use my Howa's! I'm being dead serious about that, I like my Howa's more! :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Chronos » 08 Dec 2014, 7:41 pm

then the Howler said "I've tried and tried but i can't ever live up to the Sako i'm a rip off copy of :cry:"

come on guys, this has gone on for long enough, BFS you've been bagging tikkas and selling howas for at least 3 years on at least 4 forums :lol:

the point is what do you mag system do you prefer, after all BFS it's your thread

I'd vote for a DBM over floor plate over blind mag for 90% of shooting and single shot for target ;)

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Dec 2014, 7:51 pm

Chronos wrote:then the Howler said "I've tried and tried but i can't ever live up to the Sako i'm a rip off copy of :cry:"

come on guys, this has gone on for long enough, BFS you've been bagging tikkas and selling howas for at least 3 years on at least 4 forums :lol:

the point is what do you mag system do you prefer, after all BFS it's your thread

I'd vote for a DBM over floor plate over blind mag for 90% of shooting and single shot for target ;)

Chronos

:lol: more like the Sako don't live up to the Sako Hype :lol: The Howa's s**t on it in the accuracy stakes, sad as that is its the truth, I've tried countless powder/projie combos and so far haven't been able to find one the Sako likes, f***ing frustrating to be honest and has put me off spending big $$ on a rifle ever again.

So far all the cheaper options have worked out well for me for some reason. :?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 08 Dec 2014, 8:14 pm

I used to like the Howa's but after this I reckon their still a nice Japanese rifle, I guess their just not for me!!! ;) ;) ;)
And if you don't think a floor plate is a dangerous thing in the hands of a novice then I pity you and those you shoot with !!!!
You don't have to justify how good a Howa is to me as I for one won't be buying one
Thanx Scott
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Dec 2014, 8:44 pm

Westy wrote:I used to like the Howa's but after this I reckon their still a nice Japanese rifle, I guess their just not for me!!! ;) ;) ;)
And if you don't think a floor plate is a dangerous thing in the hands of a novice then I pity you and those you shoot with !!!!
You don't have to justify how good a Howa is to me as I for one won't be buying one
Thanx Scott

When I was a novice we used to use Semi Auto's - I think I can handle a Internal Mag system mate :lol:

You still haven't after umpteen posts explained exactly what is dangerous about em? how about ya get on with explaining to the uneducated what this apparent danger is, one danger we can rule out is losing the bloody thing! :lol:

So please enlighten us ignorant internal mag owners as to how we are in danger all of a sudden. Please Please, I wouldn't want to get someone killed by using my internal mag rifles. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 08 Dec 2014, 9:01 pm

It's starting to sound like no one could tell you anything!!! Sounds like what I've been told might be true after all???? :lol: :D :lol:
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Dec 2014, 9:12 pm

Westy wrote:It's starting to sound like no one could tell you anything!!! Sounds like what I've been told might be true after all???? :lol: :D :lol:

Still no reply to the question regarding the Dangerous Internal Mag System? Why Westy what's the prob? :D

PLEASE Enlighten me with your wisdom brother. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 09 Dec 2014, 7:09 am

Well Maybe you have hunted with pro's all your life but on more than one Occasion I've had the pleasure of hunting with complete novices and I can't count how many times they have loaded the rifle ,then stroked the bolt closed chambering a round or during a skirmish of shooting pigs chamber another round and then forget what they have done and normally always using a floor plate rifle, they forget to push the last one in the stack down and yep it's loaded Wallah !!!! I'm no fan of hunting with safety's on at all ever full stop......I find it much easier and safer to drop the mag and clear a rifle than drop a floor plate pick up the rounds re install the ill fitting floor plate(It is a Howa right??) then reload the rifle, might be easier and quicker to reload a black powder rifle what do you think Noisy???? I know it's not going to be easy for you to admit you might be wrong but thems the breaks , are they more dangerous to use ??? YES because loading rounds that have no access to them easily will always be a disadvantage !!!!!!!! FFS Scott you have to admit that closing the bolt and inserting the magazine is not only easier and safer than loading a rifle up and hoping for the best from those around you. I'm sure you'll change what I've said here and some how I'll of left a rifle at the Local Brothel or something !!I'm not debating this anymore and this is my last word on the subject, Buddy your so wrong on this subject it hurts Period !!!!
I guess you can't educate an Idiot!!!!! :shock: :o :shock:
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Dec 2014, 8:49 am

Westy wrote:Well Maybe you have hunted with pro's all your life but on more than one Occasion I've had the pleasure of hunting with complete novices and I can't count how many times they have loaded the rifle ,then stroked the bolt closed chambering a round or during a skirmish of shooting pigs chamber another round and then forget what they have done and normally always using a floor plate rifle, they forget to push the last one in the stack down and yep it's loaded Wallah !!!! I'm no fan of hunting with safety's on at all ever full stop......I find it much easier and safer to drop the mag and clear a rifle than drop a floor plate pick up the rounds re install the ill fitting floor plate(It is a Howa right??) then reload the rifle, might be easier and quicker to reload a black powder rifle what do you think Noisy???? I know it's not going to be easy for you to admit you might be wrong but thems the breaks , are they more dangerous to use ??? YES because loading rounds that have no access to them easily will always be a disadvantage !!!!!!!! FFS Scott you have to admit that closing the bolt and inserting the magazine is not only easier and safer than loading a rifle up and hoping for the best from those around you. I'm sure you'll change what I've said here and some how I'll of left a rifle at the Local Brothel or something !!I'm not debating this anymore and this is my last word on the subject, Buddy your so wrong on this subject it hurts Period !!!!
I guess you can't educate an Idiot!!!!! :shock: :o :shock:

So somehow because you hunt with idiots its the rifles Mag Systems fault? :lol: You're a goose if you think that, further more you're a goose for going out with people who clearly by your own admission have no idea of what they are doing, regardless of mag system they use I wouldn't be putting myself in that situation with people like that.

I don't hunt with ******, I'll leave that job up to you, sound like you're good at it.

As for clearing an unfired round from a rifle, open bolt, catch round, reinsert round in mag, if its a internal mag push down on round whilst closing bolt that way its safe and no round chambered, with a DBM you eject round, drop mag, insert round, close bolt, insert mag now firearm is safe and mag loaded.

Lets look at those steps again shall we.

Internal mag:-
1. Open Bolt and eject unfired round
2. Insert Back into Mag
3. Push down on round and Close bolt (whilst holding Trigger in) - Job done, rifle is safe and mag loaded
4. To unload mag, press button hinged floor plate opens and round fall out into hand, close floor plate

Oh sit there's a fox, drop round in port, chamber round, take shot, retrieve fox.

DBM mag:-
2. Drop Box mag out
3. Insert unfired round back into mag
4. Close Bolt (whilst holding Trigger in)
5. Insert Mag back into rifle - job done rifle is safe and mag loaded
6. To unload mag, press mag release, catch mag, remove rounds one by one, insert mag back onto rifle

Oh s**t there's a fox, find mag, insert round into mag again, reinstall mag, chamber round, f*** the fox has run off.

Which one's really quicker Westy? :lol: :D

The simple fact is that internal mag systems are quicker and in some cases more versatile (single feed capable without having to pull mag apart to use it as a single round) as you so kindly pointed out (I know that's not the case for all DBMs but in your case it clearly is :D

The only things going for DBMs is the ability to increase mag capacity by buying a bigger mag, which as we know isn't something that's needed in 99% of hunting situations, handy if you're hunting taliban and ISIS but in that case I'd rather belts than DBM's

Some other pro's and cons of both systems:-

Internal Mag Systems:
Can't lose them (Very important that one hey Westy, can f*** up a hunting trip real quick if you do) :D
Don't stick in your back when rifle shouldered
Don't get in the way and catch up on things whilst hunting/shooting from vehicle or rests etc
Can't forget to pack em!

DBM Systems:
Can be lost (as you so kindly pointed out Westy) :D
Can be left behind
Can dig into back depending on Mag Length
Slower to reload
Often Rattle
Have a tendency to get caught up on things
Have the ability to increase mag capacity with purchase of bigger mag
Are perfect for hunting Insurgents because of increased mag capacity

I hope that makes it easier for you to understand Westy? ;)
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Chronos » 09 Dec 2014, 9:26 am

[quote="bigfellascott"]

So somehow because you hunt with idiots its the rifles Mag Systems fault? :lol: You're a goose if you think that, further more you're a goose for going out with people who clearly by your own admission have no idea of what they are doing, regardless of mag system they use I wouldn't be putting myself in that situation with people like that.

I don't hunt with ******, I'll leave that job up to you, sound like you're good at it.

As for clearing an unfired round from a rifle, open bolt, catch round, reinsert round in mag, if its a internal mag push down on round whilst closing bolt that way its safe and no round chambered, with a DBM you eject round, drop mag, insert round, close bolt, insert mag now firearm is safe and mag loaded.

2. Insert Back into Mag
3. Push down on round and Close bolt (whilst holding Trigger in) - Job done, rifle is safe and mag loaded
4. To unload mag, press button hinged floor plate opens and round fall out into hand, close floor plate

Oh sit there's a fox, drop round in port, chamber round, take shot, retrieve fox.

2. Drop Box mag out
6. To unload mag, press mag release, catch mag, remove rounds one by one, insert mag back onto rifle

Oh s**t there's a fox, find mag, insert round into mag again, reinstall mag, chamber round, f*** the fox has run off.

The simple fact is that internal mag systems are quicker and in some cases more versatile (single feed capable without having to pull mag apart to use it as a single round) as you so kindly pointed out (I know that's not the case for all DBMs but in your case it clearly is :D

The only things going for DBMs is the ability to increase mag capacity by buying a bigger mag, which as we know isn't something that's needed in 99% of hunting situations, handy if you're hunting taliban and ISIS but in that case I'd rather belts than DBM's

Internal Mag Systems:
Can't lose them (Very important that one hey Westy, can f*** up a hunting trip real quick if you do) :D
Don't get in the way and catch up on things whilst hunting/shooting from vehicle or rests etc
Can't forget to pack em!

DBM Systems:
Can be left behind
Slower to reload
Often Rattle

What the hell are you on about with this crap?

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Dec 2014, 9:34 am

Chronos wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

2. Insert Back into Mag

2. Drop Box mag out

Internal Mag Systems:
Can't forget to pack em!

DBM Systems:
Can be left behind
Slower to reload
Often Rattle

What the hell are you on about with this crap?

Chronos

Why do you ask Steve 6602?

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Chronos » 09 Dec 2014, 9:43 am

It's no news that's from my PB account. I guess if you can't come up with something you may as well use my s**t lol

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Tiiger » 09 Dec 2014, 10:04 am

bigfellascott wrote:Still no reply to the question regarding the Dangerous Internal Mag System? Why Westy what's the prob? :D

Has this got muddled? I think so?

It was said tube mags could be dangerous, how did we get to floor plates being dangerous?
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Dec 2014, 10:17 am

Tiiger wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Still no reply to the question regarding the Dangerous Internal Mag System? Why Westy what's the prob? :D

Has this got muddled? I think so?

It was said tube mags could be dangerous, how did we get to floor plates being dangerous?

Ask Westy he's the dangerous Internal mag expert :D apparently going by what he said his friends he hunts with are idiots and unsafe and its all the Internal Mag Systems fault - apparently using a DBM fixes this stupidity, not sure how but anyway if Westy said it must be true. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 09 Dec 2014, 7:48 pm

Scott you
Win
Attachments
3662954679_5df32fe5a4.jpg
3662954679_5df32fe5a4.jpg (59.87 KiB) Viewed 3525 times
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Dec 2014, 5:01 am

Westy wrote:Scott you
Win

Thanks for that Westy! Good of you to Acknowledge it, :D

Nice Self Portrait mate, are you looking for your lost mag again or your boyfriends watch? :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 10 Dec 2014, 6:19 am

Ohhh what a shame your on my Ignore list along with a few others and now I can't hear what your saying, Shame that Dam Shame!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Dec 2014, 6:26 am

Westy wrote:Ohhh what a shame your on my Ignore list along with a few others and now I can't hear what your saying, Shame that Dam Shame!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And yet here you are! :lol: :lol: :lol: That would be a loooong list would it? You do seem to lose the plot pretty easily RUOK :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles