Which Mag System do you Prefer?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Which Mag System do you Prefer?

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Dec 2014, 9:07 pm

Westy wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
Lorgar wrote:Internal box mag for sure.

Love the Ruger magazine. Hate the Tikka magazine.

It takes the same time (faster even) to top load directly into the rifle as it does to load a magazine (comparing same number of bullets). A magazine only adds the need to remove it and reinsert it.

For target shooting and hunting where there is no rush to reload there is no purpose to having a detachable mag IMO. The only exception would be high-capacity mags for culls where more than 3-4 shots would be done in quick succession, but that's fraction of shooters out there.

The Scout has a 10 shot detachable mag for example. How many hunters rattle through 10 shots with a bolt action and need to instantly change out for another 10? That'd be one big herd of really fat, really slow pigs...

One of the reasons I really like the Internal Mags is the easy of which to just drop a round in and close the bolt, I quite often use them like that when spotlighting and it works well from a safety point of view and even if I do fully load the mag and then forget to reload I can just quickly drop one in the port, close the bolt and take the shot, with the DBM setups you usually have to drop the mag out, load then reinsert and cycle the bolt and well the bastards gone by then :lol: You know what I mean. :D and I don't even have to lift my head of the stock to do it either, ;)

You keep talking about having to load the mag all the time Scott not true with the tikka !!!Just let the plastic tongue on the mag hang out and you can top load just as quick as any floor plate rifle!!!

For some reason I though they had issues with being able to do that? I'm sure that was a bug bear with some who used them at the range, I think they even made a single load ramp for em? (confused look on face) :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by headspace » 05 Dec 2014, 9:12 pm

All 4 rifles in my safe are centrefires and all of them have internal mags with a drop down trapdoor. For most hunting you don't get much more than a second shot if that. Internal mags don't fall out and don't get left at servo's (sorry westy) I don't like a rifle that you can't top load or single load with ease. Too many Euro style letter box style ejection ports. The preference in all hunting is one shot one animal. I know that doesn't always happen, but 10 rounds???
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Dec 2014, 9:18 pm

headspace wrote:All 4 rifles in my safe are centrefires and all of them have internal mags with a drop down trapdoor. For most hunting you don't get much more than a second shot if that. Internal mags don't fall out and don't get left at servo's (sorry westy) I don't like a rifle that you can't top load or single load with ease. Too many Euro style letter box style ejection ports. The preference in all hunting is one shot one animal. I know that doesn't always happen, but 10 rounds???
JD

Yes I'm yet to let 5 off trying to shoot fur let alone 10! :lol: f***ing dreaming if you really need that many you really need to practice more :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 05 Dec 2014, 9:21 pm

There is one thing you will never do with a internal mag and thats leave it at home. They also are mighty quick to empty with a drop plate floor.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Dec 2014, 9:31 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:There is one thing you will never do with a internal mag and thats leave it at home. They also are mighty quick to empty with a drop plate floor.

How true or a Servo for that matter! (sorry Westy) that was a pissa of a story, that's a first for me! :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by brett1868 » 05 Dec 2014, 10:30 pm

No mention of the Sako mag...double stack, can be removed, sits flush on the stock and can be top loaded so I believe it to be one of the best I've come across. Of the big guns I like the DTA mags only because the rounds are secured at the shoulder which prevents projectile damage from recoil. Definitely not a fan of Steyr mags purely because they are way over priced.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Dec 2014, 5:01 am

brett1868 wrote:No mention of the Sako mag...double stack, can be removed, sits flush on the stock and can be top loaded so I believe it to be one of the best I've come across. Of the big guns I like the DTA mags only because the rounds are secured at the shoulder which prevents projectile damage from recoil. Definitely not a fan of Steyr mags purely because they are way over priced.

Yep by far the best I've seen to Brett, the best of both worlds - hard to beat for a fantastic design, I wonder if there are any other brands out there doing the same/similar? Only issue I see with them if forgetting to bring it or losing it other than that its perfect. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Combat_Wombat » 06 Dec 2014, 8:25 am

I have a 5 shot double stack mag on my CDL and it top loads brilliantly although I only ever put 4 rounds in it because it feeds a lot smoother like that. Only thing I can fault it on is it's slightly loose and rattles a bit but I'm considering attaching it to the stock more permanently. Any ideas how without getting out the welder? I've heard some people use sikaflex but I'm not keen on that at all.
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Dec 2014, 9:29 am

Combat_Wombat wrote:I have a 5 shot double stack mag on my CDL and it top loads brilliantly although I only ever put 4 rounds in it because it feeds a lot smoother like that. Only thing I can fault it on is it's slightly loose and rattles a bit but I'm considering attaching it to the stock more permanently. Any ideas how without getting out the welder? I've heard some people use sikaflex but I'm not keen on that at all.

The good ol rattling mag, another drawback of some DBM's maybe some sort of tape might help mate?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by valkyrie » 06 Dec 2014, 9:59 am

The 10 rounds are helpful when you come over a rise and are presented with multiple targets (bunnies)
Remington 700 sf .308
Mossberg 4x4 22-250
Brno model 1 .22
Trusty 12 gauge
valkyrie
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 06 Dec 2014, 11:07 am

bigfellascott wrote:
brett1868 wrote:No mention of the Sako mag...double stack, can be removed, sits flush on the stock and can be top loaded so I believe it to be one of the best I've come across. Of the big guns I like the DTA mags only because the rounds are secured at the shoulder which prevents projectile damage from recoil. Definitely not a fan of Steyr mags purely because they are way over priced.

Yep by far the best I've seen to Brett, the best of both worlds - hard to beat for a fantastic design, I wonder if there are any other brands out there doing the same/similar? Only issue I see with them if forgetting to bring it or losing it other than that its perfect. :D

I only ever drop the mag to clean the action and put it back in when done so no chance of forgetting it. Takes 2 actions to remove it, push in, release catch and allow to drop so it's not likely to fall out in a hurry and get lost. I don't even bother removing it to load as I just top load anyway.
The Ruger 10/22 style mag is another favourite of mine, quite small, cheap to buy, flush fitting with the only downside being that loading them is slow compared to regular double stack mags.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 06 Dec 2014, 11:13 am

bigfellascott wrote:For some reason I though they had issues with being able to do that? I'm sure that was a bug bear with some who used them at the range, I think they even made a single load ramp for em? (confused look on face) :D

Wow I'm going to have to make my first video and post it here this could be fun??? Bugger will ask the daughter how to do this she's knows everything. she gets it off her mother!!!!LOL
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Dec 2014, 12:28 pm

Westy wrote:Wow I'm going to have to make my first video and post it here this could be fun??? Bugger will ask the daughter how to do this she's knows everything. she gets it off her mother!!!!LOL

:lol: :lol: :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gregg » 06 Dec 2014, 1:05 pm

Teach a man to fish... Nah screw it, ask the kids.
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Combat_Wombat » 06 Dec 2014, 1:19 pm

Gregg wrote:Teach a man to fish... Nah screw it, ask the kids.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (44.57 KiB) Viewed 5541 times
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by ebr love » 07 Dec 2014, 8:24 am

Go Ron :D
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 07 Dec 2014, 11:34 am

Here we go less the Video yes I'm still ignorant to the ways of YouTube !!!!!! :lol: :D :lol:

Top loading a Tikka using the magazine for all of you that are Ignorant to the virtues of the Tikka Magazine

I'm using a T3 long action magazine here but it work the same with all 3 types of Magazine!!!!

007.JPG
007.JPG (273.14 KiB) Viewed 5507 times

Grab the mag and push back of tongue down with bullet :o

008.JPG
008.JPG (268.15 KiB) Viewed 5507 times

Pop Tongue out and forward :x

009.JPG
009.JPG (272.23 KiB) Viewed 5507 times

Push it back wards to back of Magazine :?

010.JPG
010.JPG (286.49 KiB) Viewed 5507 times

See how the tongue now sits up above the magazine :idea:

011.JPG
011.JPG (269.25 KiB) Viewed 5507 times

Bullet now sit on top of Magazine and you can top load all day long and when your finished you just reverse the process and you have a 5 shot feeding magazine once again. ;)

Simple when someone shows you how , now who wants a floor plate again?? Ouch I've jammed my bloody finger under the bolt face again, Bloody Howa's\ Remington's !!!!!
:D ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Dec 2014, 12:49 pm

What so you have to stuff around with the mag to use it as a single feed then stuff around with it again to use it as it was designed! Ah f*** that give the Howa over that crap any day :D

Now this is how you single feed a Howa:- Open bolt, drop round in Close bolt, take aim and shoot! :lol: :lol: :lol: its s**ts all over that poxy mag system in so many ways its not funny and if you want to shoot it as it was designed you just load em up with 5 rds and go shootin none of that mucking around modding mags to do one or the other :D

Sorry Westy it had to be said :D

Tell me what do you do if you run out of rounds in the mag and want to get another quick shot off? do your mods or drop the mag, load a round into the mag then load the mag back into the rifle then hope the bastard hasn't gotten bored waiting to be shot :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 07 Dec 2014, 2:01 pm

Sorry Westy it had to be said :D

Tell me what do you do if you run out of rounds in the mag and want to get another quick shot off? do your mods or drop the mag, load a round into the mag then load the mag back into the rifle then hope the bastard hasn't gotten bored waiting to be shot :lol:

Um maybe I missed something but with a Tikka you normally only need the one shot unlike the howa!!!!! ;) But if I need more than 5 shots I just drop the mag and put a new one in faster than your reading this and I have 5 nice new shinny bullets to shoot ,try doing that with the howa??? :D :) :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tell me how close to the fridge are you Scott :?: :?: :?:
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Dec 2014, 4:08 pm

Um Westy ol mate, how many does the Tikka Mag Hold? Depends on Cal Doesn't it?

As for the Howa being useless and needing more bullets to get the job done, I donno about that, I generally just drop one in shoot the fur then drop another one in and repeat the process, I think I'm up to nearly 30 bunnies on the trot now (anywhere from 100m - 300m) :lol: not bad for an old bastard with a cheap rifle and low mag scope - and I didn't have to pull my mag apart to do it either :lol: :lol: by the way the Howa's are 5 in the mag, Aren't the small cals 4 shot mags anything over 22.250 in the Tickler and its 3 in the mag in the larger cals which would be a PITA if doing culling work.

We're already in front of ya with at least one extra kill with the 5rd mag Howa V the 4 or 3 shot mags of the Tikka. :lol:

Just another drawback of the Tickler along with small ejection port, cheap arse alloy recoil lug, plastic everything and overpriced replacement parts and upgrades :D

Edit: I'm confused as to their mag capacity, some say 6 or 7 some say 3 or 4 :? do they have various size mags you get with em or do you buy em as an accessory? (scratching head) :D

http://www.tikka.fi/pdf/specs/Lite.pdf
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Combat_Wombat » 07 Dec 2014, 5:47 pm

ust another drawback of the Tickler along with small ejection port, cheap arse alloy recoil lug, plastic everything and overpriced replacement parts and upgrades

But apart from that they are perfect :lol:
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Westy » 07 Dec 2014, 6:27 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Um Westy ol mate, how many does the Tikka Mag Hold? Depends on Cal Doesn't it?

As for the Howa being useless and needing more bullets to get the job done, I donno about that, I generally just drop one in shoot the fur then drop another one in and repeat the process, I think I'm up to nearly 30 bunnies on the trot now (anywhere from 100m - 300m) :lol: not bad for an old bastard with a cheap rifle and low mag scope - and I didn't have to pull my mag apart to do it either :lol: :lol: by the way the Howa's are 5 in the mag, Aren't the small cals 4 shot mags anything over 22.250 in the Tickler and its 3 in the mag in the larger cals which would be a PITA if doing culling work.

We're already in front of ya with at least one extra kill with the 5rd mag Howa V the 4 or 3 shot mags of the Tikka. :lol:

Just another drawback of the Tickler along with small ejection port, cheap arse alloy recoil lug, plastic everything and overpriced replacement parts and upgrades :D

Edit: I'm confused as to their mag capacity, some say 6 or 7 some say 3 or 4 :? do they have various size mags you get with em or do you buy em as an accessory? (scratching head) :D

Keep your hair on Scott !!Just voicing a opinion which is different yours, I had floor plates in rifles 30 yrs ago and found them to be dangerous pieces of s**t but different horses different courses . As for the howa 1500 I think you might find I've always said good things about them here. Sure their not a Tikka but their a nice cheap rifle !!!!! :o :shock: :o
As I hear around here someone had to say it!!!!!! :) ;) :o
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Dec 2014, 6:45 pm

Westy wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Um Westy ol mate, how many does the Tikka Mag Hold? Depends on Cal Doesn't it?

Keep your hair on Scott !!Just voicing a opinion which is different yours, I had floor plates in rifles 30 yrs ago and found them to be dangerous pieces of s**t but different horses different courses . As for the howa 1500 I think you might find I've always said good things about them here. Sure their not a Tikka but their a nice cheap rifle !!!!! :o :shock: :o
As I hear around here someone had to say it!!!!!! :) ;) :o

:lol: :lol:
So what is the mag capacity of them Westy - I've read some say 3 or 4 depending on cal and some say 6 or 7 (scratches head) so which is it?

And can you explain what's dangerous about Internal mags? (scratches head again) been using em since day dot and haven't had an issue ever with any of em, so just wondering what I'm doing wrong to make em so safe for me. ;)
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by headwerkn » 07 Dec 2014, 9:52 pm

For .22LR a 5- or 10-shot DBM is a good thing, especially for wallaby culling from a vehicle or varminting bunnies from a good spot. You'll use the shots and if you've got a few mags loaded up, all's the better.

For deer however I do really like my old 300WM Sako's internal trapdoor magazine. Makes more sense - can't lose a $100+ mag in the bush for a start!
headwerkn
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by mausermate » 08 Dec 2014, 8:20 am

I kind of like Blasers rotary in the R8 but not sure about the straight pull action.
The Mag has a few nice features, it can be top loaded, it feeds from the centre to ensure a smooth feed straight into the chamber, it is detachable, albeit detaches with the trigger, it detaches with two buttons for extra security, and finally, it has a nifty little switch inside the mag that you can activate and the mag cannot detach. Really good on a hunt when you need to be sure to be sure.
Wouldn't mind that in a controlled round feed bolt action.
Now that's been said, who's coming for a shot?
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 08 Dec 2014, 10:21 am

My factory issued Tikka .243Win mag. holds 3+1 rounds and the spare 5+1. So, when I'm calling Lenard de Feral (dog) i have 75gr H.P in the 5 shot on rifle and should Mr. Piggy show, I have the other loaded with 90gr. PSP and just swap. See, simple.(tsk).

Try doing that with internal mag.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Combat_Wombat » 08 Dec 2014, 12:54 pm

I don't mind the look of the Brownings that have a box mag that flips down on a hinge like a floor plate. Best of both worlds
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Dec 2014, 12:57 pm

RoginaJack wrote:My factory issued Tikka .243Win mag. holds 3+1 rounds and the spare 5+1. So, when I'm calling Lenard de Feral (dog) i have 75gr H.P in the 5 shot on rifle and should Mr. Piggy show, I have the other loaded with 90gr. PSP and just swap. See, simple.(tsk).

Try doing that with internal mag.

Why not just run the 90's if you're concerned the 75's can't cut it on the pigs, surely the 90's would do the job on the dogs too? :?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by RoginaJack » 08 Dec 2014, 3:17 pm

Yo, Bigfellascott, Yep, the 90s do the job but just a bit harsh - through the dog, 2 gum trees and besides, I just like the "SPLAT" of the 75s. :o
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 08 Dec 2014, 3:45 pm

Westy wrote:Here we go less the Video yes I'm still ignorant to the ways of YouTube !!!!!! :lol: :D :lol:

Top loading a Tikka using the magazine for all of you that are Ignorant to the virtues of the Tikka Magazine

I'm using a T3 long action magazine here but it work the same with all 3 types of Magazine!!!!

007.JPG

Grab the mag and push back of tongue down with bullet :o

008.JPG

Pop Tongue out and forward :x

009.JPG

Push it back wards to back of Magazine :?

010.JPG

See how the tongue now sits up above the magazine :idea:

011.JPG

Bullet now sit on top of Magazine and you can top load all day long and when your finished you just reverse the process and you have a 5 shot feeding magazine once again. ;)

Simple when someone shows you how , now who wants a floor plate again?? Ouch I've jammed my bloody finger under the bolt face again, Bloody Howa's\ Remington's !!!!!
:D ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

westy can i point out that your little trick isn't necessary on the medium and long mags, only the short action .222, .223, .204 etc.

i'v efired thousands of rounds through my 7-08 by just dropping a round in the port and closing the bolt, often in rapid fire competition never an issue feeding them and i've never even seen your follower trick before

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles