Which Mag System do you Prefer?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Which Mag System do you Prefer?

Post by Westy » 07 Dec 2014, 2:01 pm

Sorry Westy it had to be said :D

Tell me what do you do if you run out of rounds in the mag and want to get another quick shot off? do your mods or drop the mag, load a round into the mag then load the mag back into the rifle then hope the bastard hasn't gotten bored waiting to be shot :lol:

Um maybe I missed something but with a Tikka you normally only need the one shot unlike the howa!!!!! ;) But if I need more than 5 shots I just drop the mag and put a new one in faster than your reading this and I have 5 nice new shinny bullets to shoot ,try doing that with the howa??? :D :) :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tell me how close to the fridge are you Scott :?: :?: :?:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Dec 2014, 4:08 pm

Um Westy ol mate, how many does the Tikka Mag Hold? Depends on Cal Doesn't it?

As for the Howa being useless and needing more bullets to get the job done, I donno about that, I generally just drop one in shoot the fur then drop another one in and repeat the process, I think I'm up to nearly 30 bunnies on the trot now (anywhere from 100m - 300m) :lol: not bad for an old bastard with a cheap rifle and low mag scope - and I didn't have to pull my mag apart to do it either :lol: :lol: by the way the Howa's are 5 in the mag, Aren't the small cals 4 shot mags anything over 22.250 in the Tickler and its 3 in the mag in the larger cals which would be a PITA if doing culling work.

We're already in front of ya with at least one extra kill with the 5rd mag Howa V the 4 or 3 shot mags of the Tikka. :lol:

Just another drawback of the Tickler along with small ejection port, cheap arse alloy recoil lug, plastic everything and overpriced replacement parts and upgrades :D

Edit: I'm confused as to their mag capacity, some say 6 or 7 some say 3 or 4 :? do they have various size mags you get with em or do you buy em as an accessory? (scratching head) :D

http://www.tikka.fi/pdf/specs/Lite.pdf
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Combat_Wombat » 07 Dec 2014, 5:47 pm

ust another drawback of the Tickler along with small ejection port, cheap arse alloy recoil lug, plastic everything and overpriced replacement parts and upgrades

But apart from that they are perfect :lol:
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Westy » 07 Dec 2014, 6:27 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Um Westy ol mate, how many does the Tikka Mag Hold? Depends on Cal Doesn't it?

As for the Howa being useless and needing more bullets to get the job done, I donno about that, I generally just drop one in shoot the fur then drop another one in and repeat the process, I think I'm up to nearly 30 bunnies on the trot now (anywhere from 100m - 300m) :lol: not bad for an old bastard with a cheap rifle and low mag scope - and I didn't have to pull my mag apart to do it either :lol: :lol: by the way the Howa's are 5 in the mag, Aren't the small cals 4 shot mags anything over 22.250 in the Tickler and its 3 in the mag in the larger cals which would be a PITA if doing culling work.

We're already in front of ya with at least one extra kill with the 5rd mag Howa V the 4 or 3 shot mags of the Tikka. :lol:

Just another drawback of the Tickler along with small ejection port, cheap arse alloy recoil lug, plastic everything and overpriced replacement parts and upgrades :D

Edit: I'm confused as to their mag capacity, some say 6 or 7 some say 3 or 4 :? do they have various size mags you get with em or do you buy em as an accessory? (scratching head) :D

Keep your hair on Scott !!Just voicing a opinion which is different yours, I had floor plates in rifles 30 yrs ago and found them to be dangerous pieces of s**t but different horses different courses . As for the howa 1500 I think you might find I've always said good things about them here. Sure their not a Tikka but their a nice cheap rifle !!!!! :o :shock: :o
As I hear around here someone had to say it!!!!!! :) ;) :o
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Dec 2014, 6:45 pm

Westy wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Um Westy ol mate, how many does the Tikka Mag Hold? Depends on Cal Doesn't it?

Keep your hair on Scott !!Just voicing a opinion which is different yours, I had floor plates in rifles 30 yrs ago and found them to be dangerous pieces of s**t but different horses different courses . As for the howa 1500 I think you might find I've always said good things about them here. Sure their not a Tikka but their a nice cheap rifle !!!!! :o :shock: :o
As I hear around here someone had to say it!!!!!! :) ;) :o

:lol: :lol:
So what is the mag capacity of them Westy - I've read some say 3 or 4 depending on cal and some say 6 or 7 (scratches head) so which is it?

And can you explain what's dangerous about Internal mags? (scratches head again) been using em since day dot and haven't had an issue ever with any of em, so just wondering what I'm doing wrong to make em so safe for me. ;)
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by headwerkn » 07 Dec 2014, 9:52 pm

For .22LR a 5- or 10-shot DBM is a good thing, especially for wallaby culling from a vehicle or varminting bunnies from a good spot. You'll use the shots and if you've got a few mags loaded up, all's the better.

For deer however I do really like my old 300WM Sako's internal trapdoor magazine. Makes more sense - can't lose a $100+ mag in the bush for a start!
headwerkn
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by mausermate » 08 Dec 2014, 8:20 am

I kind of like Blasers rotary in the R8 but not sure about the straight pull action.
The Mag has a few nice features, it can be top loaded, it feeds from the centre to ensure a smooth feed straight into the chamber, it is detachable, albeit detaches with the trigger, it detaches with two buttons for extra security, and finally, it has a nifty little switch inside the mag that you can activate and the mag cannot detach. Really good on a hunt when you need to be sure to be sure.
Wouldn't mind that in a controlled round feed bolt action.
Now that's been said, who's coming for a shot?
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 08 Dec 2014, 10:21 am

My factory issued Tikka .243Win mag. holds 3+1 rounds and the spare 5+1. So, when I'm calling Lenard de Feral (dog) i have 75gr H.P in the 5 shot on rifle and should Mr. Piggy show, I have the other loaded with 90gr. PSP and just swap. See, simple.(tsk).

Try doing that with internal mag.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Combat_Wombat » 08 Dec 2014, 12:54 pm

I don't mind the look of the Brownings that have a box mag that flips down on a hinge like a floor plate. Best of both worlds
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Dec 2014, 12:57 pm

RoginaJack wrote:My factory issued Tikka .243Win mag. holds 3+1 rounds and the spare 5+1. So, when I'm calling Lenard de Feral (dog) i have 75gr H.P in the 5 shot on rifle and should Mr. Piggy show, I have the other loaded with 90gr. PSP and just swap. See, simple.(tsk).

Why not just run the 90's if you're concerned the 75's can't cut it on the pigs, surely the 90's would do the job on the dogs too? :?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by RoginaJack » 08 Dec 2014, 3:17 pm

Yo, Bigfellascott, Yep, the 90s do the job but just a bit harsh - through the dog, 2 gum trees and besides, I just like the "SPLAT" of the 75s. :o
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 08 Dec 2014, 3:45 pm

Westy wrote:Here we go less the Video yes I'm still ignorant to the ways of YouTube !!!!!! :lol: :D :lol:

Top loading a Tikka using the magazine for all of you that are Ignorant to the virtues of the Tikka Magazine

I'm using a T3 long action magazine here but it work the same with all 3 types of Magazine!!!!

007.JPG

Grab the mag and push back of tongue down with bullet :o

008.JPG

Pop Tongue out and forward :x

009.JPG

Push it back wards to back of Magazine :?

010.JPG

See how the tongue now sits up above the magazine :idea:

011.JPG

Bullet now sit on top of Magazine and you can top load all day long and when your finished you just reverse the process and you have a 5 shot feeding magazine once again. ;)

Simple when someone shows you how , now who wants a floor plate again?? Ouch I've jammed my bloody finger under the bolt face again, Bloody Howa's\ Remington's !!!!!
:D ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

westy can i point out that your little trick isn't necessary on the medium and long mags, only the short action .222, .223, .204 etc.

i'v efired thousands of rounds through my 7-08 by just dropping a round in the port and closing the bolt, often in rapid fire competition never an issue feeding them and i've never even seen your follower trick before

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Dec 2014, 5:32 pm

Chronos wrote:
Westy wrote:Here we go less the Video yes I'm still ignorant to the ways of YouTube !!!!!! :lol: :D :lol:

Top loading a Tikka using the magazine for all of you that are Ignorant to the virtues of the Tikka Magazine

I'm using a T3 long action magazine here but it work the same with all 3 types of Magazine!!!!

007.JPG

Grab the mag and push back of tongue down with bullet :o

008.JPG

Pop Tongue out and forward :x

009.JPG

Push it back wards to back of Magazine :?

010.JPG

See how the tongue now sits up above the magazine :idea:

011.JPG

Bullet now sit on top of Magazine and you can top load all day long and when your finished you just reverse the process and you have a 5 shot feeding magazine once again. ;)

Simple when someone shows you how , now who wants a floor plate again?? Ouch I've jammed my bloody finger under the bolt face again, Bloody Howa's\ Remington's !!!!!
:D ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

westy can i point out that your little trick isn't necessary on the medium and long mags, only the short action .222, .223, .204 etc.

i'v efired thousands of rounds through my 7-08 by just dropping a round in the port and closing the bolt, often in rapid fire competition never an issue feeding them and i've never even seen your follower trick before

Chronos

What's the design fault with the smaller cals mag setup mate?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Chronos » 08 Dec 2014, 5:46 pm

bigfellascott wrote:What's the design fault with the smaller cals mag setup mate?

Ahh howapowa will try and troll tikka owners :lol:

It's not a design fault mate, just a side effect of using a large diameter bolt for a small diameter case, the round sits lower than the chamber when it sits on top of the magazine.

A non issue in a mag fed hunting rifle as tgey feed fine from the mag , the only time it's noticed is when seating bullets long trying to reach the lands and they won't fit in the mag.

When I was shooting a 1: 8" twist .233 with 69gr I just seated them to mag length and it still shot .6 " at 200 y and could feed 3 x 5 shot mags in under 45 seconds on target

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 08 Dec 2014, 5:59 pm

Chronos wrote:westy can i point out that your little trick isn't necessary on the medium and long mags, only the short action .222, .223, .204 etc.

Sorry C but your wrong here mate ,I have 2 in 6.5's and neither will side load with out this little trick, the long actions won't load as we use them for M/S and we all have to do this trick with the long actions!!!!! only the mediums like 243 and 308 I'm figuring :?: :?: :?:
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Westy » 08 Dec 2014, 6:02 pm

RoginaJack wrote:My factory issued Tikka .243Win mag. holds 3+1 rounds and the spare 5+1. So, when I'm calling Lenard de Feral (dog) i have 75gr H.P in the 5 shot on rifle and should Mr. Piggy show, I have the other loaded with 90gr. PSP and just swap. See, simple.(tsk).

X2 we do the same with the 223 55grn in one and 70grn in the other ..Maybe Scott could try mixing them up in the floor plate and play a little Russian Roulette ??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 08 Dec 2014, 6:27 pm

Westy wrote:^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Westy can i point out that your little trick isn't necessary on the medium and long mags, only the short action .222, .223, .204 etc"

Sorry C but your wrong here mate ,I have 2 in 6.5's and neither will side load with out this little trick, the long actions won't load as we use them for M/S and we all have to do this trick with the long actions!!!!! only the mediums like 243 and 308 I'm figuring :?: :?: :?:
\

well there you go, i've single loaded my mates 6.5X55 varmint no probs. maybe bullet choice plays a part :?:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by RDobber » 08 Dec 2014, 6:36 pm

RoginaJack wrote:My factory issued Tikka .243Win mag. holds 3+1 rounds and the spare 5+1.

Off-topic but just FYI, I saw a mob in the US are making 10-shot steel Tikka mags now.

Hopefully some good ones come out for a decent price.
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Dec 2014, 6:51 pm

Chronos wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:What's the design fault with the smaller cals mag setup mate?

It's not a design fault mate, just a side effect of using a large diameter bolt for a small diameter case, the round sits lower than the chamber when it sits on top of the magazine.

A non issue in a mag fed hunting rifle as tgey feed fine from the mag , the only time it's noticed is when seating bullets long trying to reach the lands and they won't fit in the mag.

When I was shooting a 1: 8" twist .233 with 69gr I just seated them to mag length and it still shot .6 " at 200 y and could feed 3 x 5 shot mags in under 45 seconds on target

Chronos

Cheers mate, I guess the result of cheap manufacturing processes to save a few $$ - I reckon the Sako Mag setup is the go if you like DBM's - gives you the best of both worlds.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 08 Dec 2014, 6:51 pm

RDobber wrote:
RoginaJack wrote:My factory issued Tikka .243Win mag. holds 3+1 rounds and the spare 5+1.

Off-topic but just FYI, I saw a mob in the US are making 10-shot steel Tikka mags now.

I have few will post picks later ,they work a treat for rapid fire at the military comps!!!!! :lol: :D :lol:
Man I love my Tikka's!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

What did one Howa say to the other Howa?????
When I grow up I'm going to be a Tikka!!!!

Then the other Howa said sorry but you'll have to be a Girl Tikka as you only have floor plate and not a Magazine poking out!!!!! :lol: :D :lol:
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Dec 2014, 7:06 pm

Westy wrote:
RDobber wrote:

I have few will post picks later ,they work a treat for rapid fire at the military comps!!!!! :lol: :D :lol:
Man I love my Tikka's!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

What did one Howa say to the other Howa?????
When I grow up I'm going to be a Tikka!!!!

Then the other Howa said sorry but you'll have to be a Girl Tikka as you only have floor plate and not a Magazine poking out!!!!! :lol: :D :lol:

:lol: :lol: Have a guess what the little Tickler said to the Big Tickler I wish my mag worked like your's, my owners have to keep pulling me apart to use me as a single feed! :lol: and the both Ticklers said I wished we had the mag capacity that the Howa does from the factory. :lol: I mean really what the f*** is a 3 shot Mag capacity about? :D Oh but its easy to remedy once you stump up another couple hundred $$ :lol:

Have fun with ya plastic mags boys - try not to lose em at the servo again Westy! :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 08 Dec 2014, 7:11 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Pretty sure you guys can't read???(punching my head) I'll try again the story goes I left the mag in the side pocket of the front door and only found it when
I got to the servo to pay for the fuel!!!!I reached into the side pocket of the door to grab my wallet and found the Mag!!!It was never lost at the f***ing Servo!!! Is that easier for you to understand???? WTF!!!!! Ohhh and floor plates suck are are a cheap ass alternative to a good magazine!!!!!!!! I have never seen a military rifle with a floor plate wonder why???? :x :x :x
Last edited by Westy on 08 Dec 2014, 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 08 Dec 2014, 7:12 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Chronos wrote:

Chronos

Cheers mate, I guess the result of cheap manufacturing processes to save a few $$ - I reckon the Sako Mag setup is the go if you like DBM's - gives you the best of both worlds.

LOL, yeah, must be :lol:

i think the flush sako mag is a good thing and as you say the best of both worlds except for the release system, a bit slow for mag changes but a lot of bushies would probably top load the mag just like their ond winchester 70 :lol:

the honest truth is the Sako would want to have something to it for the extra $$$. I'd take 2 Tikka Hunter stainless fluted over 1 sako 85 hunter stainless every day of the week and twice on sundays.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Dec 2014, 7:29 pm

Westy wrote:^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Pretty sure you guys can't read???(punching my head) I'll try again the story goes I left the mag in the side pocket of the front door and only found it when
I got to the servo to pay for the fuel!!!!I reached into the side pocket of the door to grab my wallet and found the Mag!!!It was never lost at the f***ing Servo!!! Is that easier for you to understand???? WTF!!!!! Ohhh and floor plates suck are are a cheap ass alternative to a good magazine!!!!!!!! I have never seen a military rifle with a floor plate wonder why???? :x :x :x

Just to help you remember what you said Westy :D
I'm a huge fan of DBM . Lost the bloody mag last trip on the 223 found it on the way home at the servo!!!LOL had to do some shooting with the 6.5 the last day or so!!! Still like the removable Mag myself kind of idiot prof for new shooters!!!

Anyone reading that would think you'd lost it at the servo and then found it on the way home :lol: (shrugs shoulders) :D ya found it again mate, that's the main thing hey, not a prob I will ever experience :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Dec 2014, 7:38 pm

Chronos wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
Chronos wrote:

Chronos

LOL, yeah, must be :lol:

i think the flush sako mag is a good thing and as you say the best of both worlds except for the release system, a bit slow for mag changes but a lot of bushies would probably top load the mag just like their ond winchester 70 :lol:

the honest truth is the Sako would want to have something to it for the extra $$$. I'd take 2 Tikka Hunter stainless fluted over 1 sako 85 hunter stainless every day of the week and twice on sundays.

Chronos

Yes I think I'd probably do the same thing (hunter version of the Tikka) - I guess it comes down to what you want to own and how much you're willing to pay for it hey, that's why I stick to the Howa's they don't cost a lot and are customisable without costing a fortune to do, that works for me, I'm not into fancy wood or any of that over priced stuff, I rather pay a fair price and own something I can use and not be paranoid about damaging type thing.

I've got a Sako in the safe now that I don't use - I'd rather use my Howa's! I'm being dead serious about that, I like my Howa's more! :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Chronos » 08 Dec 2014, 7:41 pm

then the Howler said "I've tried and tried but i can't ever live up to the Sako i'm a rip off copy of :cry:"

come on guys, this has gone on for long enough, BFS you've been bagging tikkas and selling howas for at least 3 years on at least 4 forums :lol:

the point is what do you mag system do you prefer, after all BFS it's your thread

I'd vote for a DBM over floor plate over blind mag for 90% of shooting and single shot for target ;)

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Dec 2014, 7:51 pm

Chronos wrote:then the Howler said "I've tried and tried but i can't ever live up to the Sako i'm a rip off copy of :cry:"

come on guys, this has gone on for long enough, BFS you've been bagging tikkas and selling howas for at least 3 years on at least 4 forums :lol:

the point is what do you mag system do you prefer, after all BFS it's your thread

I'd vote for a DBM over floor plate over blind mag for 90% of shooting and single shot for target ;)

Chronos

:lol: more like the Sako don't live up to the Sako Hype :lol: The Howa's s**t on it in the accuracy stakes, sad as that is its the truth, I've tried countless powder/projie combos and so far haven't been able to find one the Sako likes, f***ing frustrating to be honest and has put me off spending big $$ on a rifle ever again.

So far all the cheaper options have worked out well for me for some reason. :?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 08 Dec 2014, 8:14 pm

I used to like the Howa's but after this I reckon their still a nice Japanese rifle, I guess their just not for me!!! ;) ;) ;)
And if you don't think a floor plate is a dangerous thing in the hands of a novice then I pity you and those you shoot with !!!!
You don't have to justify how good a Howa is to me as I for one won't be buying one
Thanx Scott
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Dec 2014, 8:44 pm

Westy wrote:I used to like the Howa's but after this I reckon their still a nice Japanese rifle, I guess their just not for me!!! ;) ;) ;)
And if you don't think a floor plate is a dangerous thing in the hands of a novice then I pity you and those you shoot with !!!!
You don't have to justify how good a Howa is to me as I for one won't be buying one
Thanx Scott

When I was a novice we used to use Semi Auto's - I think I can handle a Internal Mag system mate :lol:

You still haven't after umpteen posts explained exactly what is dangerous about em? how about ya get on with explaining to the uneducated what this apparent danger is, one danger we can rule out is losing the bloody thing! :lol:

So please enlighten us ignorant internal mag owners as to how we are in danger all of a sudden. Please Please, I wouldn't want to get someone killed by using my internal mag rifles. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 08 Dec 2014, 9:01 pm

It's starting to sound like no one could tell you anything!!! Sounds like what I've been told might be true after all???? :lol: :D :lol:
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles