Which Mag System do you Prefer?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Which Mag System do you Prefer?

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Dec 2014, 1:57 pm

DBM or Internal and why, what's your theory on which is better? ;)

Me I like the Internal mag systems better, you can't lose them, can't forget to bring em, their quick to load if you run out and need a quick shot, can be used as single feed only without having to much around with removing a DBM inserting a round and reloading etc, their better if you don't take a shot and unchamber an unfired round, a quick push in and the rounds back in the mag where as most box mags require the removal of the mag to reinsert the unused round.

Anyway give me you version as to why one is better/not better than the other.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Re: Which Mag System do you Prefer?

Post by valkyrie » 05 Dec 2014, 4:48 pm

I prefer DBM because most of the shooting that I do is spotlighting out of a vehicle. Means that I can keep the mag loaded but out of the gun while driving and still have up to ten shots available quickly when something is spotted by putting the mag in and cycling the gun. Much quicker than loading an internal mag
Remington 700 sf .308
Mossberg 4x4 22-250
Brno model 1 .22
Trusty 12 gauge
valkyrie
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Westy » 05 Dec 2014, 5:32 pm

I'm a huge fan of DBM . Lost the bloody mag last trip on the 223 found it on the way home at the servo!!!LOL had to do some shooting with the 6.5 the last day or so!!! Still like the removable Mag myself kind of idiot prof for new shooters!!!
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Dec 2014, 5:39 pm

Westy wrote:I'm a huge fan of DBM . Lost the bloody mag last trip on the 223 found it on the way home at the servo!!!LOL had to do some shooting with the 6.5 the last day or so!!! Still like the removable Mag myself kind of idiot prof for new shooters!!!

You loose it doing a hold up mate? :lol: how the hell do you leave you mag at a servo? :shock: No such issues with the Howso's! :lol: all internal and I know where they are all the time, no chance of loosing them bastards! ;)
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 05 Dec 2014, 5:42 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Westy wrote:I'm a huge fan of DBM . Lost the bloody mag last trip on the 223 found it on the way home at the servo!!!LOL had to do some shooting with the 6.5 the last day or so!!! Still like the removable Mag myself kind of idiot prof for new shooters!!!

You loose it doing a hold up mate? :lol: how the hell do you leave you mag at a servo? :shock: No such issues with the Howso's! :lol: all internal and I know where they are all the time, no chance of loosing them bastards! ;)

No was shooting from the passenger seat\spotlighting and threw it in the door card late Friday night turned the truck upside down looking for it and went to get my wallet out of the door on the way home to pay for the fuel and found the bastard right were I left it!!!LOL
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Dec 2014, 5:50 pm

Westy wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

No was shooting from the passenger seat\spotlighting and threw it in the door card late Friday night turned the truck upside down looking for it and went to get my wallet out of the door on the way home to pay for the fuel and found the bastard right were I left it!!!LOL

You were luck mate, no doubt could have cost a few $$ to replace the bloody thing too. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Combat_Wombat » 05 Dec 2014, 6:46 pm

I like internal mag for most shooting especially spotlighting as you can load in the dark. On another note tube magazines are the bloody worst! Nothing more annoying then having to cycle 9 rounds out of a lever action.
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Dec 2014, 7:08 pm

Combat_Wombat wrote:I like internal mag for most shooting especially spotlighting as you can load in the dark. On another note tube magazines are the bloody worst! Nothing more annoying then having to cycle 9 rounds out of a lever action.

Yeah I like the internals for spotlighting too, way easier to just drop a round in the port, close the bolt and take the shot, most DBM's you can't do that with and as you said fumbling around in the dark is a PITA and the other thing I don't really like about some of the DBM's is how they hang down and get in the way when shooting out of windows etc.

Internals all the way for me, shame the 22's don't work the same way. And your right about tube mags, those bastards can be dangerous at times if a case hangs up in em and you don't realise, been there had that problem! :shock:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Lorgar » 05 Dec 2014, 8:32 pm

Internal box mag for sure.

Love the Ruger magazine. Hate the Tikka magazine.

It takes the same time (faster even) to top load directly into the rifle as it does to load a magazine (comparing same number of bullets). A magazine only adds the need to remove it and reinsert it.

For target shooting and hunting where there is no rush to reload there is no purpose to having a detachable mag IMO. The only exception would be high-capacity mags for culls where more than 3-4 shots would be done in quick succession, but that's fraction of shooters out there.

The Scout has a 10 shot detachable mag for example. How many hunters rattle through 10 shots with a bolt action and need to instantly change out for another 10? That'd be one big herd of really fat, really slow pigs...
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Westy » 05 Dec 2014, 8:33 pm

X2 on the tubes pain in the ass, great if your a yank as they have safety's to rely on!!!LOL
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by FuzzyM » 05 Dec 2014, 8:33 pm

I much prefer DBM's. Both of my rifles have detachable mags, the Axis a small flush mounted one, a 10 round one for the MKII.

When out hunting, it is so much easier to pop my mags out to legally cross a walking track or road.
Two of my mates have internals, they have to pop the trapdoor or cycle the rounds out when they want to legally cross a thoroughfare etc.

I would like a 5 round mag for my MKII so it doesn't stick out as far sometimes, but like everything they are way overpriced in this country (for a little folded metal .22 magazine anyway).
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Dec 2014, 8:40 pm

valkyrie wrote:I prefer DBM because most of the shooting that I do is spotlighting out of a vehicle. Means that I can keep the mag loaded but out of the gun while driving and still have up to ten shots available quickly when something is spotted by putting the mag in and cycling the gun. Much quicker than loading an internal mag

:lol: Internal mags are quicker mate, all you do is load em and if you don't want to have a round chambered you just push down on the round and close the bolt over it, that way its just a matter of opening and closing the bolt and you're ready to rock and roll. :D

People seem to think if you load the internal mag you have to chamber a round to close the bolt, nothing could be further from the truth. ;)
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Dec 2014, 8:42 pm

FuzzyM wrote:I much prefer DBM's. Both of my rifles have detachable mags, the Axis a small flush mounted one, a 10 round one for the MKII.

When out hunting, it is so much easier to pop my mags out to legally cross a walking track or road.
Two of my mates have internals, they have to pop the trapdoor or cycle the rounds out when they want to legally cross a thoroughfare etc.

I would like a 5 round mag for my MKII so it doesn't stick out as far sometimes, but like everything they are way overpriced in this country (for a little folded metal .22 magazine anyway).

You make sure of the regs regarding loaded mags mate, you could get into trouble (in NSW I think they consider the rifle loaded if the mags have rounds in em even if they are removed from the rifle! :roll: , not sure what Vics like but best to double check before she goes pair shaped. ;)
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by RDobber » 05 Dec 2014, 8:46 pm

Lorgar wrote:Hate the Tikka magazine.

Never thought I'd hear a harsh word about the Tikka from you :P
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Dec 2014, 8:47 pm

Lorgar wrote:Internal box mag for sure.

It takes the same time (faster even) to top load directly into the rifle as it does to load a magazine (comparing same number of bullets). A magazine only adds the need to remove it and reinsert it.

For target shooting and hunting where there is no rush to reload there is no purpose to having a detachable mag IMO. The only exception would be high-capacity mags for culls where more than 3-4 shots would be done in quick succession, but that's fraction of shooters out there.

The Scout has a 10 shot detachable mag for example. How many hunters rattle through 10 shots with a bolt action and need to instantly change out for another 10? That'd be one big herd of really fat, really slow pigs...

One of the reasons I really like the Internal Mags is the easy of which to just drop a round in and close the bolt, I quite often use them like that when spotlighting and it works well from a safety point of view and even if I do fully load the mag and then forget to reload I can just quickly drop one in the port, close the bolt and take the shot, with the DBM setups you usually have to drop the mag out, load then reinsert and cycle the bolt and well the bastards gone by then :lol: You know what I mean. :D and I don't even have to lift my head of the stock to do it either, ;)
Last edited by bigfellascott on 05 Dec 2014, 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Lorgar » 05 Dec 2014, 8:48 pm

RDobber wrote:Never thought I'd hear a harsh word about the Tikka from you :P

Just a pragmatist mate, not a fanboy :P

If my Tikka had an internal mag I could top load.... The perfect rifle (for me).

bigfellascott wrote:You know what I mean. :D

I do ;)
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Dec 2014, 8:51 pm

Lorgar wrote:
RDobber wrote:Never thought I'd hear a harsh word about the Tikka from you :P

Just a pragmatist mate, not a fanboy :P

If my Tikka had an internal mag I could top load.... The perfect rifle (for me).

bigfellascott wrote:You know what I mean. :D

I do ;)

You'll need to step up to the more expensive version mate :lol: or you could just buy a Howso and be done with it for a 3rd the price :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 05 Dec 2014, 8:54 pm

bigfellascott wrote:

One of the reasons I really like the Internal Mags is the easy of which to just drop a round in and close the bolt, I quite often use them like that when spotlighting and it works well from a safety point of view and even if I do fully load the mag and then forget to reload I can just quickly drop one in the port, close the bolt and take the shot, with the DBM setups you usually have to drop the mag out, load then reinsert and cycle the bolt and well the bastards gone by then :lol: You know what I mean. :D and I don't even have to lift my head of the stock to do it either, ;)

You keep talking about having to load the mag all the time Scott not true with the tikka !!!Just let the plastic tongue on the mag hang out and you can top load just as quick as any floor plate rifle!!!
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Dec 2014, 9:07 pm

Westy wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

You keep talking about having to load the mag all the time Scott not true with the tikka !!!Just let the plastic tongue on the mag hang out and you can top load just as quick as any floor plate rifle!!!

For some reason I though they had issues with being able to do that? I'm sure that was a bug bear with some who used them at the range, I think they even made a single load ramp for em? (confused look on face) :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by headspace » 05 Dec 2014, 9:12 pm

All 4 rifles in my safe are centrefires and all of them have internal mags with a drop down trapdoor. For most hunting you don't get much more than a second shot if that. Internal mags don't fall out and don't get left at servo's (sorry westy) I don't like a rifle that you can't top load or single load with ease. Too many Euro style letter box style ejection ports. The preference in all hunting is one shot one animal. I know that doesn't always happen, but 10 rounds???
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Dec 2014, 9:18 pm

headspace wrote:All 4 rifles in my safe are centrefires and all of them have internal mags with a drop down trapdoor. For most hunting you don't get much more than a second shot if that. Internal mags don't fall out and don't get left at servo's (sorry westy) I don't like a rifle that you can't top load or single load with ease. Too many Euro style letter box style ejection ports. The preference in all hunting is one shot one animal. I know that doesn't always happen, but 10 rounds???
JD

Yes I'm yet to let 5 off trying to shoot fur let alone 10! :lol: f***ing dreaming if you really need that many you really need to practice more :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 05 Dec 2014, 9:21 pm

There is one thing you will never do with a internal mag and thats leave it at home. They also are mighty quick to empty with a drop plate floor.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Dec 2014, 9:31 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:There is one thing you will never do with a internal mag and thats leave it at home. They also are mighty quick to empty with a drop plate floor.

How true or a Servo for that matter! (sorry Westy) that was a pissa of a story, that's a first for me! :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by brett1868 » 05 Dec 2014, 10:30 pm

No mention of the Sako mag...double stack, can be removed, sits flush on the stock and can be top loaded so I believe it to be one of the best I've come across. Of the big guns I like the DTA mags only because the rounds are secured at the shoulder which prevents projectile damage from recoil. Definitely not a fan of Steyr mags purely because they are way over priced.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Dec 2014, 5:01 am

brett1868 wrote:No mention of the Sako mag...double stack, can be removed, sits flush on the stock and can be top loaded so I believe it to be one of the best I've come across. Of the big guns I like the DTA mags only because the rounds are secured at the shoulder which prevents projectile damage from recoil. Definitely not a fan of Steyr mags purely because they are way over priced.

Yep by far the best I've seen to Brett, the best of both worlds - hard to beat for a fantastic design, I wonder if there are any other brands out there doing the same/similar? Only issue I see with them if forgetting to bring it or losing it other than that its perfect. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Combat_Wombat » 06 Dec 2014, 8:25 am

I have a 5 shot double stack mag on my CDL and it top loads brilliantly although I only ever put 4 rounds in it because it feeds a lot smoother like that. Only thing I can fault it on is it's slightly loose and rattles a bit but I'm considering attaching it to the stock more permanently. Any ideas how without getting out the welder? I've heard some people use sikaflex but I'm not keen on that at all.
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Dec 2014, 9:29 am

Combat_Wombat wrote:I have a 5 shot double stack mag on my CDL and it top loads brilliantly although I only ever put 4 rounds in it because it feeds a lot smoother like that. Only thing I can fault it on is it's slightly loose and rattles a bit but I'm considering attaching it to the stock more permanently. Any ideas how without getting out the welder? I've heard some people use sikaflex but I'm not keen on that at all.

The good ol rattling mag, another drawback of some DBM's maybe some sort of tape might help mate?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by valkyrie » 06 Dec 2014, 9:59 am

The 10 rounds are helpful when you come over a rise and are presented with multiple targets (bunnies)
Remington 700 sf .308
Mossberg 4x4 22-250
Brno model 1 .22
Trusty 12 gauge
valkyrie
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 06 Dec 2014, 11:07 am

bigfellascott wrote:
brett1868 wrote:No mention of the Sako mag...double stack, can be removed, sits flush on the stock and can be top loaded so I believe it to be one of the best I've come across. Of the big guns I like the DTA mags only because the rounds are secured at the shoulder which prevents projectile damage from recoil. Definitely not a fan of Steyr mags purely because they are way over priced.

Yep by far the best I've seen to Brett, the best of both worlds - hard to beat for a fantastic design, I wonder if there are any other brands out there doing the same/similar? Only issue I see with them if forgetting to bring it or losing it other than that its perfect. :D

I only ever drop the mag to clean the action and put it back in when done so no chance of forgetting it. Takes 2 actions to remove it, push in, release catch and allow to drop so it's not likely to fall out in a hurry and get lost. I don't even bother removing it to load as I just top load anyway.
The Ruger 10/22 style mag is another favourite of mine, quite small, cheap to buy, flush fitting with the only downside being that loading them is slow compared to regular double stack mags.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 06 Dec 2014, 11:13 am

bigfellascott wrote:For some reason I though they had issues with being able to do that? I'm sure that was a bug bear with some who used them at the range, I think they even made a single load ramp for em? (confused look on face) :D

Wow I'm going to have to make my first video and post it here this could be fun??? Bugger will ask the daughter how to do this she's knows everything. she gets it off her mother!!!!LOL
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles