Big Mac GBV

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Big Mac GBV

Post by brett1868 » 06 Dec 2014, 11:32 am

Finished paying off the latest piece of field artillery during the week and collected it yesterday from the good folks over at Magnum Sports. For those not familiar with the McMillan TAC 50, it's currently listed as holding the second longest, published confirmed kill by a Canadian sniper in Afghanistan at 2430 meters. I'll be happy if I can hit the side of a barn at that range though.

Topping the package is a Nightforce NXS 8-32 x 56 MOAR reticule scope mounted in a 1 piece ERA-TEC adjustable inclination mount with 0-70MOA increments in 10MOA steps.

My initial observations are that it's probably one of the smoothest actions I've cycled and the trigger is awesome, not a hint of creep and breaks crisp as a cracker. The green Cerakote cannot be faulted nor can the machining of any part in the action or bolt. My only whinge is that the bipod is not of the quick removal type and requires a spanner or socket to install or remove. At least it fits in the supplied Pelican case with the bipod attached so removing it isn't likely to be done often. Not related to the rifle but still something stupid is the foam cut out in the case doesn't allow the rifle to be stored with the scope attached, these guys need some lessons from Barrett on how to case rifles. Clarke rubber and an electric bread knife will fix this issue though so not a major drama.

On the kitchen table cause wife's not home and I'm the boss when she's out :)

Action in the open position

Adjustable base from ERA-TEC

Giant bolt and a work of machining art.
Last edited by brett1868 on 08 Dec 2014, 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Re: Big Mac GBV

Post by Westy » 06 Dec 2014, 12:49 pm

WoWWoW again, Merry Christmas Mate!!!!!!

Warning Jellyfish off Sydney heads with Horne just spotted!!!!!

Brett That's a whole Lota gun and it looks great!!!! :lol: :D :lol:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by 1290 » 06 Dec 2014, 1:02 pm

noyce, can iva go?...

(you dont have kids do you??!!)

You know a damn big barn at that range is still less than 0.4MoA.... I'm happy with 4 barns at 2 and a half kays!

enjoy.
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Baldrick314 » 06 Dec 2014, 2:35 pm

Very nice mate :)
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 06 Dec 2014, 3:03 pm

very nice now get out a test it ................. i would like to see a 1000 group :mrgreen:
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 07 Dec 2014, 3:57 pm

I'm definately heading north between Santa's birthday and Pissed Eve, A triplet of 50's, a pair of 416's and the 375 Cheytac will help me ring in the New Year. The giant bunnies are in for a New Years vapourising if I get my act together. I'm fully prepped, time off work locked in, wife's cool and everything else is ready to go.
Last edited by brett1868 on 08 Dec 2014, 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by wayward » 08 Dec 2014, 7:09 pm

How many organs did you need to sell to get it? :lol:
wayward
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Redwood » 08 Dec 2014, 7:13 pm

Pfft, you only need 1 kidney.

Totally worth it :lol:
Redwood
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 08 Dec 2014, 7:52 pm

wayward wrote:How many organs did you need to sell to get it? :lol:

All up cost was around the $14k mark by the time mount & scope are factored in and since I have a couple other 50's there's no real upfront cost to feed it. I know it may seem like a lot of money but a pack a day smoker who also drinks a case a week will burn or piss through over $10k per year with only ill health to show for it. The big guns are my idea of fun and I enjoy the load development side of buying a new firearm so I consider them therapy :) or that's how I explain it to the missus :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by agentzero » 08 Dec 2014, 9:13 pm

Das a big red cartridge :lol:
agentzero
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Norton » 08 Dec 2014, 9:14 pm

deye243 wrote:very nice now get out a test it ................. i would like to see a 1000 group :mrgreen:

Lets see a 2430 metre group on par with the record :D

Caaarn Brett!
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Monty » 08 Dec 2014, 9:15 pm

brett1868 wrote:that's how I explain it to the missus :)

And you knock the 1 of that $14,000 when you tell here :lol: ;)
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by cruze82 » 08 Dec 2014, 10:18 pm

Hey Brett iv been looking at those scope mounts for awhile are they any good would you recommend them
cruze82
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by 1290 » 09 Dec 2014, 8:27 am

Monty wrote:
brett1868 wrote:that's how I explain it to the missus :)

And you knock the 1 of that $14,000 when you tell here :lol: ;)

rule number 1, unless wifey's a connoisseur/ overly switched on, always knock off a zero!
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 09 Dec 2014, 8:58 am

cruze82 wrote:Hey Brett iv been looking at those scope mounts for awhile are they any good would you recommend them

German made and appear to be of good design and quality but I'm yet to test it so can't really comment about their functionality yet. The one I bought came from Danny at Delta Tactical and is the 20mm high version. I originally intended fitting it to my DTA HTI but it won't fit. With the 56mm objective on the scope there's not enough clearance from the full length rail to the bottom of the scope. I've ordered the 25mm high version for the HTI and fitted this one to the Tac.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by cruze82 » 09 Dec 2014, 5:23 pm

brett1868 wrote:
cruze82 wrote:Hey Brett iv been looking at those scope mounts for awhile are they any good would you recommend them

German made and appear to be of good design and quality but I'm yet to test it so can't really comment about their functionality yet. The one I bought came from Danny at Delta Tactical and is the 20mm high version. I originally intended fitting it to my DTA HTI but it won't fit. With the 56mm objective on the scope there's not enough clearance from the full length rail to the bottom of the scope. I've ordered the 25mm high version for the HTI and fitted this one to the Tac.

Thanks Brett, I've purchased a few thing off Danny at Delta and he's been really great to deal with.

I looking forward to know how accurate the MOA adjustment is on the base
cruze82
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by lole » 10 Dec 2014, 12:21 pm

I like it and I want one :D
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales