CZ 452 Australian Cadet Rifle

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

CZ 452 Australian Cadet Rifle

Post by vonfram88 » 13 Dec 2014, 8:26 pm

Have one in cadets who will be using the CZ rimfire. I heard they had to modifiy the safety on these rifles.

Does anyone know the nature of the modification - is it still a backwards safety (back to fire, forward to safe)?

I'm thinking of investing in a 452 to help him get additional trigger time on this platform and would want it to exactly match the Cadet rifles.
He that hath no sword; let him sell his garment and buy one.
vonfram88
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: CZ 452 Australian Cadet Rifle

Post by gefengel » 02 Jan 2015, 9:47 am

In my experience with CZ (and on my BRNO) you push the safety forward to put the rifle on safe and pull it back towards you to engage the "fire" position. It's a common criticism of CZ / BRNO but it's easy enough to get used to. Are you saying the cadets then get them modified? I didn't even know safety mods were a thing that was done.

Regardless you cannot go wrong with a 452, they're a genuine pleasure to shoot and last forever with the right care. Plus shooting on a common platform always gives the best results with shooting discipline.
Remington 700 SPS 7mm Remington Magnum w/ Swarovski Z3 4-12x50
Browning A-Bolt Composite Stalker 22-250 w/ Nikon Monarch 3 MC3 4-16x42
BRNO Model 2 22LR w/ Iron Sights (Currently)
gefengel
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by vonfram88 » 02 Jan 2015, 4:33 pm

I think a bunch of CZ rifles were imported for the cadets and they failed the rubber mallet test at customs. They were required to be modified but I don't know the nature of the modification. I have CZ527 American and I never use the damn safety, as I wouldn't on most bolt action rifles. Bolt closed (dry fired to decock) with chamber empty and magazine inserted is the standard carry condition in my family when we are free-ranging.
He that hath no sword; let him sell his garment and buy one.
vonfram88
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by gefengel » 02 Jan 2015, 9:12 pm

Agreed, the safest rifle is the one with an empty chamber, sounds like we have similar disciplines.

Customs have always been tough on that sort of stuff, doesn't surprise me that even the most high quality rifles would fail some sort of Australian regulation. Get your young fella the 452 anyway, it's worth the investment and truly a rifle to be proud of.

Is that the 527 in 223? Great rifle!
gefengel
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Usurper » 04 Jan 2015, 7:36 pm

Can't go wrong with the CZ ;)
.308 CZ 550 American
.222 Tikka Varmint
.357 Mag Marlin 1894
Usurper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Mich » 04 Jan 2015, 7:38 pm

gefengel wrote:Get your young fella the 452 anyway, it's worth the investment and truly a rifle to be proud of.

They are.

You men can't have them there as I understand it but they do a 16" barrel version for use with a suppressor. Very nimble and obviously quiet. A pleasure to walk around with, nothing on the ears and takes the rabbits and foxes every time.
Mich
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by gefengel » 04 Jan 2015, 9:20 pm

Mich wrote:
gefengel wrote:Get your young fella the 452 anyway, it's worth the investment and truly a rifle to be proud of.

They are.

You men can't have them there as I understand it but they do a 16" barrel version for use with a suppressor. Very nimble and obviously quiet. A pleasure to walk around with, nothing on the ears and takes the rabbits and foxes every time.

We have the 16" 452 variant here, threaded and all. However we can't put suppressors on them unless we have a genuine reason, like contracted hunting :(
gefengel
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Mich » 05 Jan 2015, 10:34 am

That's a shame.

A suppressor is a nice edition to the right setup.
Mich
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by subatom » 21 Jan 2015, 1:28 pm

Mich wrote:A suppressor is a nice edition to the right setup.

It's possible we might have them in South Australia soon which will be the first state to have them legalised for normal shooters in years (decades?)

Here's hoping.
Remington VTR .308 Winchester. Marlin 336 .35 Remington. Mossberg 185 20 gauge.
subatom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by cooker » 23 Jan 2015, 6:53 pm

A suppressed .22 with subsonics is nothing but fun to shoot.

Good luck to you guys with it over there.
cooker
Private
Private

New Zealand

Return to Centerfire rifles