Tell a girl about a pair of guns

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Tell a girl about a pair of guns

Post by sally-bee » 24 Dec 2014, 1:51 pm

Hi all,

It turns out my guy friends are all big-girls-blouses and none are interested in shooting so here I am for help.

I'm about ready to by my first rifle. I have a little money to spend, Tikka gets lots of praise I can see and it's affordable for me. This is what I'm looking at at the moment.

In time I will want a varmint rifle and a game hunting rifle, but figure I will start with the small calibre first to learn.

At the moment I'm thinking of a Tikka in .223 with a 4-12 scope. Still to be decided if this is varmint/heavy barrel or not.

In time assuming I like the Tikka I am thinking a .308 with a 3-9 scope.

Does it sound like I'm on the right path here for what I want?

Thanks in advance.
sally-bee
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Re: Tell a girl about a pair of guns

Post by Westy » 24 Dec 2014, 2:35 pm

Sounds like a well thought out plan to me!!!!!!
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Juganort » 24 Dec 2014, 3:28 pm

For learning the ropes I'd go a 22lr to start with then move up to a centerfire afterwards. Its easy to put 100 rounds down range practicing and it will only cost you about $15 in ammo. Centerfire will cost at least $70 - $80 for cheap ammo with say a .223, last thing you want to happen is to not want to practice because its costing too much.

I started off with a Savage MKII BRJ in 22lr and used it for practice and metallic silhouette and I'm glad for the advice received before the purchase. I'd say I've shot about 2000 rounds with in since August which I could never do with a centrefire. Now that I reckon I've got the basics down I've ordered a .308 which I hopefully wont need to spend a heap on ammo :)
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.
Juganort
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Dec 2014, 7:17 pm

I'd give some thought to getting a 22 too if you intend on shooting heaps, way cheaper and a great place to learn how to shoot, low noise, low weight as a rule and cheap to run and have fun with.

The Tikka will do the job no worries at all (not my cuppa tea with all the plastic etc) but those who own them generally swear by then.

Good luck with it all and above all have fun learning a new skill.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Baronvonrort » 24 Dec 2014, 7:22 pm

It comes down to what you are going to hunt and where, wide open fields or varying thickness of scrub.

The Tikka is a good rifle, what model are you looking at?

The .223 is good for a first Cat B,low recoil ammo is cheap you should also look at reloading which makes it even cheaper.

I reckon a Cat A .22lr should also be considered, cheap to run no recoil,deadly on small ferals,Anshutz would be my preferred brand maybe a 1416 with thumbhole stock.

As for the .308 try one before you buy one, depending on what you are hunting a .243 could be more than enough.

The .223 and .308 are good choices, the barrels have good life ammo is readily available as are reloading supplies,the .308 can be reloaded with 110-125 grain projectiles and mid loads if recoil is a problem or to help getting used to it, a muzzle brake could also be fitted to reduce recoil.

I would swap the scopes around from your choice, if the finances are good I would mount an aimpoint micro above the scope for the ferals that jump out in front of you at times.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Baronvonrort » 24 Dec 2014, 8:05 pm

The Tikka can be upgraded with the stock if you prefer a more modern look.

http://mdttac.ca
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 24 Dec 2014, 9:03 pm

Welcome to the forum sally-bee

Yeah , nice pair.... of guns that is, and too bad about your girls blouse mates.

If you have some experience shooting then go for it with the .223 , very good choice. but if you have none or very little consider what bigfellascott said about the .22 because its easier to learn to shoot without developing a flinch tnan to learn how to stop flinching.

The .223 will cover most things you will shoot in SA, perfect for foxes, cats, goats overkill on rabbits but thats ethical shooting at its best.
A 4-12 scope would be just right for that.

The .308 will have you sorted for larger game and fulfill your legal requirements for deer in other states, but personally I'm finding my 4-12 on my .243 a bit difficult to use at extended ranges so the 3-9 might end up being a bit underpowered on a .308 after a while.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Dec 2014, 9:19 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:The Tikka can be upgraded with the stock if you prefer a more modern look.

http://mdttac.ca

I like the looks of MDT Tac system, but I wouldn't personally buy one, I can see a time where they will more than likely be banned, you can see them enforcing that "Military Look" crap all over the country sooner or later. :roll:

She's already started in W.A. with the colt and few other platforms, only a matter of time before it spreads to the rest of the states, even S.A. is starting to turn into W.A. with its PTA system and the requirement to prove the need for another rifle crap they have just started doing. :roll:

Even Camo stocks are now being questioned in W.A. from what I'm hearing - :roll: :roll:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Baronvonrort » 24 Dec 2014, 9:46 pm

If they want to go by military look we should point out Accuracy International are military rifles and should be banned as well, if we did that maybe the SSAA get off their butts and oppose it as many of their members have military look military rifles from AI.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Dec 2014, 9:56 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:If they want to go by military look we should point out Accuracy International are military rifles and should be banned as well, if we did that maybe the SSAA get off their butts and oppose it as many of their members have military look military rifles from AI.

Don't give em any ideas! :D There will come a time my friend, it's not if but when.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Patrol66 » 25 Dec 2014, 4:09 pm

Another point to consider is if there are any caliber restrictions at your preferred shooting range , if you go to an organised club / range that is. My local range is .22 only which is fine for practice / social shooting
Rem 700- 223, Marlin xt 22, Rem 700 - 30-06 ( not mine , but in my safe )
Patrol66
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by sally-bee » 26 Dec 2014, 11:17 am

Juganort wrote:For learning the ropes I'd go a 22lr to start with then move up to a centerfire afterwards. Its easy to put 100 rounds down range practicing and it will only cost you about $15 in ammo. Centerfire will cost at least $70 - $80 for cheap ammo with say a .223, last thing you want to happen is to not want to practice because its costing too much.

bigfellascott wrote:I'd give some thought to getting a 22 too if you intend on shooting heaps, way cheaper and a great place to learn how to shoot, low noise, low weight as a rule and cheap to run and have fun with.

Hi guys,

I have looked at a .22 as well but I don't think it's going to do what I want.

I know ammo is cheap, I won't be shooting heaps though so don't see it being a problem. It will be mostly hunting and a little target shooting for fun but not a lot of that done.

I'm convinced the .223 is a better option for me personally as it will cover more distance and be more versatile for me. I can afford something good but don't have buckets of cash. Better to have the best .223 I can afford than a cheaper .22 and .223 for the sake of having both.
sally-bee
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by sally-bee » 26 Dec 2014, 11:18 am

Baronvonrort wrote:It comes down to what you are going to hunt and where, wide open fields or varying thickness of scrub.

The Tikka is a good rifle, what model are you looking at?

The .223 is good for a first Cat B,low recoil ammo is cheap you should also look at reloading which makes it even cheaper.

I reckon a Cat A .22lr should also be considered, cheap to run no recoil,deadly on small ferals,Anshutz would be my preferred brand maybe a 1416 with thumbhole stock.

As for the .308 try one before you buy one, depending on what you are hunting a .243 could be more than enough.

The .223 and .308 are good choices, the barrels have good life ammo is readily available as are reloading supplies,the .308 can be reloaded with 110-125 grain projectiles and mid loads if recoil is a problem or to help getting used to it, a muzzle brake could also be fitted to reduce recoil.

General bush, fields. It's going to be all purpose except for probably NOT dense scrub.

I think the Tikka Hunter at the moment is top of the list. I don't really care for the plastic one either.

I did look at a .243 but I will want to hunt deer with this so that's why I came to the .308. As well as the other convenient reasons you mentioned.
sally-bee
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by sally-bee » 26 Dec 2014, 11:21 am

on_one_wheel wrote:Yeah , nice pair.... of guns that is, and too bad about your girls blouse mates.

Yeah I gotta get some tougher mates :lol:

This lot couldn't change a tyre.
sally-bee
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by sally-bee » 26 Dec 2014, 11:22 am

Patrol66 wrote:Another point to consider is if there are any caliber restrictions at your preferred shooting range , if you go to an organised club / range that is. My local range is .22 only which is fine for practice / social shooting

Yep I'm aware of that but shouldn't be a problem.

I want to be in the field more than the range.
sally-bee
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Calamity Jen » 26 Dec 2014, 12:04 pm

I'm a woman shooter and I went with a .SAKO 85 Varmint s/s in .223 for my first rifle and I couldn't be happier with it.

I've put tons of round through it and can't fault it. I went with a 1:8 twist which was another good choice for me.

I hunt with it mainly, but occasionally do F Class with it too and it makes me look good for sure :lol:

I am however getting a 7mm-08 soonish for deer hunting, which I also love. I had a look at the Tika, but think I might stay with another SAKO.

I love the line, just that much. ;)
Calamity Jen
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by cavok » 26 Dec 2014, 1:47 pm

Don't forget many a reputable gun shop always have 2nd hand rifles for sale, many have had few rounds fired, always worth a look see.

Ruger is also a great brand, as are many others, no need to buy a firearm made in Finland, USA is good.

Also a good source is usedguns.com, always worth a visit on their website just to get an idea what a rifle is worth second hand, scopes and a great deal more.
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by RDobber » 29 Dec 2014, 10:14 am

Calamity Jen wrote:I am however getting a 7mm-08 soonish for deer hunting, which I also love. I had a look at the Tika, but think I might stay with another SAKO.

I love the line, just that much. ;)

Love the rifles, just not the price tag :|
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by sally-bee » 29 Dec 2014, 10:16 am

cavok wrote:Don't forget many a reputable gun shop always have 2nd hand rifles for sale, many have had few rounds fired, always worth a look see.

Ruger is also a great brand, as are many others, no need to buy a firearm made in Finland, USA is good.

Also a good source is usedguns.com, always worth a visit on their website just to get an idea what a rifle is worth second hand, scopes and a great deal more.

Thanks Cavok.

I like the Sako's too like Calamity Jen said but looking at new rifles they're too much for my budget at the moment.

At this point I'm probably going new with a Tikka, but second hand Sako for the right price would do to :)

Haven't really had much to do with a Ruger yet. More visits to the store before I commit so will have a look too :)
sally-bee
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Return to Centerfire rifles