Tikka T3 Rifles - decisions, decisions, decisions

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Tikka T3 Rifles - decisions, decisions, decisions

Post by ShootaMCjohn » 31 Dec 2014, 12:38 pm

Howdy guys i have been looking at a Reminton rifle for a bit now but after reading a few bad comments and looking into in a bit more i reckon ive changed my mind. I just need that little bit more convincing then im sure that i have settled on my next rifle.. :)

I really like the look of the laminate stock but kinda worried the laminate wont last? Im unsure as ive never held a laminate stock before... its the unknown to me. A wooden oiled stock is amazing tho it really brings out a great oldish look to a rifle.

That's my thoughts on the looks of the T3 now i need people that have used or own a Tikka to pitch in and give me "what you really think" of the Tikka T3's

Cheers in advanced ;)

TIKKA T3 HUNTER STAINLESS

TIKKA T3 HUNTER STAINLESS FLUTED BARREL

TIKKA T3 FOREST

TIKKA T3 LAMINATED STAINLESS
- Ruger American Rimfire .22
ShootaMCjohn
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: Tikka T3 Rifles - decisions, decisions, decisions

Post by ex_reven » 31 Dec 2014, 12:49 pm

Can't go wrong mate - from memory the laminated stocks are ever so slightly heavier - but for the most part between the ones you have displayed it just comes down to aesthetics. Best bet would be go go into a shop and handle the laminate and see how you like it. I'm a big fan of stainless with walnut so I'm biased :P
Custom 6mm Dasher
Sako 85, Sako Quad,
K98, K98 Sniper, No 4 Mk 1/2, Norinco JW25a
Kimber 1911 .45ACP, S&W 629 .44 Mag, Walther PPQ, Walther P22, S&W 686, Colt Gold Cup
Akkar Churchill, Crossman 1077
ex_reven
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 31 Dec 2014, 2:16 pm

I'd have any of em if it wasn't for the mag system. If they ran the same mag system as the Sako's I'd definitely consider one then, no reason not too. ;)
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 31 Dec 2014, 7:41 pm

They would be better if they had a floor plate IMH
O!!!!!!
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Turtleburp » 01 Jan 2015, 10:30 am

Availability may help you make with that decision!

I've seen real variability in T3 stock finish, I would look through every tikka rifle in store to see what takes your fancy.
Turtleburp
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 01 Jan 2015, 11:00 am

Most people know I'm a huge fan of the T3 rifles. My first rifle was a rem 700 SPS in .223 and it was a lemon. It wouldn't feed from the magazine and wouldn't shoot better than 1 1/2 moa with handloads.

I traded it back on a T3 stainless varmint in .223. I've since owned a 7-08 stainkess varmint and a stainless hunter fluted in .308. All three rifles are capable of sub 1/2moa with multiple loads and the stainless fluted hunter weighs just 7lbs scoped and shoots the 130gr Federal Hollow point factory ammo around the 3/4" mark at 200y. Needless to say I'm very happy with my purchase.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 01 Jan 2015, 11:05 am

Don't base your decision solely on looks.

Decide what specification you're after first, as there are many makes and models available such that you dont need to follow the sheep - no doubt the Italians make a good rifle in the Tikka and Sako... ;)

Chambering, mag, floorplate, blind, SS, blued, target, carry, 24inch 16 inch....open sights, clean barrel, laminate, walnut.....

for what they're worth, my thoughts on the Tikka is that they are the Porsche of the rifle world... poor mans Ferrari, sorry, but most of the guys that buy a Tikka really wanted a Sako.... am I wrong? maybe. ((anyone who has recently posted multiple images of their (or their dads??) Tikka, dont chime in I couldnt give a flying eff of your opinion))

I have a Laminate boyds on one of my rifles and I really like the feel and shape, I'm sure there is no issue with durability...

Happy new year all!
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Westy » 01 Jan 2015, 12:25 pm

Last Time I looked I had 5 and 6 is on the way next week!!!!! Am I a fan yes I am, as a kid everyone wanted a Sako or a Rem 700 and tikka's were rare as hens teeth we only had the Trading Post $50-00 303 0r a bloody old Stirling semiauto 22's ohhh and grandads shotgun!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Now days I'm spoiling myself and won't spring for the over priced Sako (only because I'm still a tightass) but will buy a Tikka every time. Have 2 in 223 light and varmint also have 2 in 6.5x55 again light and varmint and don't tell anyone (Scott) but a 204 in blued, the cool thing about the this is the mags are interchangeable on the 204 and 223 just in case I loose one again!!!! !!!! :lol: :D :lol: This week I'm off to get one of those them there 260 in a CTR as I shot one yesterday and , just bloody awesome as a hunter. Yer I still have 1 rem 700 but man has it had a s**t load of work done to it to get it up to speed and if it wasn't the Blackout it would have been back traded 12 months ago. Also a few Brunos and a couple of Anshultz but I have a $oft $pot for the Tikka :D ;) :D
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by ex_reven » 01 Jan 2015, 1:18 pm

1290 wrote:for what they're worth, my thoughts on the Tikka is that they are the Porsche of the rifle world... poor mans Ferrari, sorry, but most of the guys that buy a Tikka really wanted a Sako.... am I wrong?

I own two Sako's and they are beautiful rifles - but they get bashed around, scarred and scratched like the rest of my rifles that I take out hunting.
Having handled them and a couple of T3's owned by mates, I can't fault them.

They are a functional rifle and perform wonderfully for their price bracket.
Other than top loading from the magazine (which is convenient), the only thing you are really missing out on is the fit and finish of the Sako.
If spotlighting off the ute and you find you need those extra rounds - you can always fit a 10 round mag to the Tikka

I mounted a Swaro Z5 on my Sako 85: if I was in a position where I could not afford to fit a decent scope to it (wanted a low light scope as it is primarily a deer rifle) - I would have no qualms purchasing the Tikka and running a better scope and other accessories with the savings.
Custom 6mm Dasher
Sako 85, Sako Quad,
K98, K98 Sniper, No 4 Mk 1/2, Norinco JW25a
Kimber 1911 .45ACP, S&W 629 .44 Mag, Walther PPQ, Walther P22, S&W 686, Colt Gold Cup
Akkar Churchill, Crossman 1077
ex_reven
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by ShootaMCjohn » 01 Jan 2015, 5:20 pm

ex_reven wrote:Can't go wrong mate - from memory the laminated stocks are ever so slightly heavier - but for the most part between the ones you have displayed it just comes down to aesthetics. Best bet would be go go into a shop and handle the laminate and see how you like it. I'm a big fan of stainless with walnut so I'm biased :P

I really like the stainless with walnut as well so ill head to a shop within the next week or so and have a look at them all cheers :D
ShootaMCjohn
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by ShootaMCjohn » 01 Jan 2015, 5:22 pm

Turtleburp wrote:Availability may help you make with that decision!

I've seen real variability in T3 stock finish, I would look through every tikka rifle in store to see what takes your fancy.

Well as far as i know they have them all in stock but it all depends when i can buy one and if they still have the one i want. :D
ShootaMCjohn
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by ShootaMCjohn » 01 Jan 2015, 5:25 pm

Chronos wrote:Most people know I'm a huge fan of the T3 rifles. My first rifle was a rem 700 SPS in .223 and it was a lemon. It wouldn't feed from the magazine and wouldn't shoot better than 1 1/2 moa with handloads.

I traded it back on a T3 stainless varmint in .223. I've since owned a 7-08 stainkess varmint and a stainless hunter fluted in .308. All three rifles are capable of sub 1/2moa with multiple loads and the stainless fluted hunter weighs just 7lbs scoped and shoots the 130gr Federal Hollow point factory ammo around the 3/4" mark at 200y. Needless to say I'm very happy with my purchase.

Chronos

Ok so you have had the Rem 700 SPS which is the original rifle i was looking at getting and it seems that everyone's says that they are a lemon or have faults which is definitely Turing me away from the rifle.. My heart is set on a Tikka now. Ill be looking at getting a .223 which will be plenty for what i want to shoot.. :D
ShootaMCjohn
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by ShootaMCjohn » 01 Jan 2015, 5:33 pm

1290 wrote:Don't base your decision solely on looks.

Decide what specification you're after first, as there are many makes and models available such that you dont need to follow the sheep - no doubt the Italians make a good rifle in the Tikka and Sako... ;)

Chambering, mag, floorplate, blind, SS, blued, target, carry, 24inch 16 inch....open sights, clean barrel, laminate, walnut.....

for what they're worth, my thoughts on the Tikka is that they are the Porsche of the rifle world... poor mans Ferrari, sorry, but most of the guys that buy a Tikka really wanted a Sako.... am I wrong? maybe. ((anyone who has recently posted multiple images of their (or their dads??) Tikka, dont chime in I couldnt give a flying eff of your opinion))

I have a Laminate boyds on one of my rifles and I really like the feel and shape, I'm sure there is no issue with durability...

Happy new year all!

Im an Aussie not a kiwi.... id never follow a sheep or be a sheep for that matter :lol:

Looks is definitely one part of the rifle i love but im more after durability, straight shooting out of the box and overall quality without spending a bucket load of cash :D

Porsche hey.... :lol: ive never looked into Sako's rifles as the first time i checked the price tag it turned me away but obviously you pay for quality!

Happy new year to you as well mate ;)
ShootaMCjohn
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by ShootaMCjohn » 01 Jan 2015, 5:40 pm

Westy wrote:Last Time I looked I had 5 and 6 is on the way next week!!!!! Am I a fan yes I am, as a kid everyone wanted a Sako or a Rem 700 and tikka's were rare as hens teeth we only had the Trading Post $50-00 303 0r a bloody old Stirling semiauto 22's ohhh and grandads shotgun!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Now days I'm spoiling myself and won't spring for the over priced Sako (only because I'm still a tightass) but will buy a Tikka every time. Have 2 in 223 light and varmint also have 2 in 6.5x55 again light and varmint and don't tell anyone (Scott) but a 204 in blued, the cool thing about the this is the mags are interchangeable on the 204 and 223 just in case I loose one again!!!! !!!! :lol: :D :lol: This week I'm off to get one of those them there 260 in a CTR as I shot one yesterday and , just bloody awesome as a hunter. Yer I still have 1 rem 700 but man has it had a s**t load of work done to it to get it up to speed and if it wasn't the Blackout it would have been back traded 12 months ago. Also a few Brunos and a couple of Anshultz but I have a $oft $pot for the Tikka :D ;) :D

Ill be looking at getting a .223 Tikka rifle but can you explain to me what benefits that a lite model has?
ShootaMCjohn
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by North East » 01 Jan 2015, 5:52 pm

They only weigh 6.4 Ibs...the less weight the better in a walk about hunting rifle.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Westy » 01 Jan 2015, 6:27 pm

ShootaMCjohn wrote:
Westy wrote:Last Time I looked I had 5 and 6 is on the way next week!!!!! Am I a fan yes I am, as a kid everyone wanted a Sako or a Rem 700 and tikka's were rare as hens teeth we only had the Trading Post $50-00 303 0r a bloody old Stirling semiauto 22's ohhh and grandads shotgun!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Now days I'm spoiling myself and won't spring for the over priced Sako (only because I'm still a tightass) but will buy a Tikka every time. Have 2 in 223 light and varmint also have 2 in 6.5x55 again light and varmint and don't tell anyone (Scott) but a 204 in blued, the cool thing about the this is the mags are interchangeable on the 204 and 223 just in case I loose one again!!!! !!!! :lol: :D :lol: This week I'm off to get one of those them there 260 in a CTR as I shot one yesterday and , just bloody awesome as a hunter. Yer I still have 1 rem 700 but man has it had a s**t load of work done to it to get it up to speed and if it wasn't the Blackout it would have been back traded 12 months ago. Also a few Brunos and a couple of Anshultz but I have a $oft $pot for the Tikka :D ;) :D

Ill be looking at getting a .223 Tikka rifle but can you explain to me what benefits that a lite model has?

Biggest benefit isn't in the humping of it around the paddock IMHO, but when out shooting on my own in the ute and in the driving seat while shooting. It's so light and easy to handle no getting in and out the truck to shoot and just can throw it around the cab with ease!!!!

+1 for the t3 light for the genuine hunter IMHO and make sure you get the 1-8 twist so you can use real bullets like the Speers 70 Grn Varmint will stop 80% of things you will need to bring down!!!! :) ;) :)
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by ShootaMCjohn » 01 Jan 2015, 6:53 pm

North East wrote:They only weigh 6.4 Ibs...the less weight the better in a walk about hunting rifle.

So the lite only about 300g off of the standard rifle
Here are some weights of the stainless rifles i pulled of the Tikka website

Lite 2.7kgs - 2.9kgs
Hunter 3kgs - 3.2kgs
Hunter fluted 3.1kgs - 3.2kgs
ShootaMCjohn
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by ShootaMCjohn » 01 Jan 2015, 6:56 pm

Westy wrote:
ShootaMCjohn wrote:

Biggest benefit isn't in the humping of it around the paddock IMHO, but when out shooting on my own in the ute and in the driving seat while shooting. It's so light and easy to handle no getting in and out the truck to shoot and just can throw it around the cab with ease!!!!

+1 for the t3 light for the genuine hunter IMHO and make sure you get the 1-8 twist so you can use real bullets like the Speers 70 Grn Varmint will stop 80% of things you will need to bring down!!!! :) ;) :)

That would of been one of my next questions. Which twist rate should i get.

cheers :D
ShootaMCjohn
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by North East » 01 Jan 2015, 7:12 pm

ShootaMCjohn wrote:
North East wrote:They only weigh 6.4 Ibs...the less weight the better in a walk about hunting rifle.

So the lite only about 300g off of the standard rifle
Here are some weights of the stainless rifles i pulled of the Tikka website

Lite 2.7kgs - 2.9kgs
Hunter 3kgs - 3.2kgs
Hunter fluted 3.1kgs - 3.2kgs

Every ounce makes a difference after a long walk.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by ShootaMCjohn » 01 Jan 2015, 7:17 pm

North East wrote:Every once makes a difference after a long walk.

That would be true! ;) And then you have to add the weight of a scope to those weights...
ShootaMCjohn
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by North East » 01 Jan 2015, 7:24 pm

ShootaMCjohn wrote:That would be true! ;) And then you have to add the weight of a scope to those weights...

My T3 Lite .30-06 comes in at 6.9 Ibs with the scope on...Aimpoint Hunter H34S 1X red dot.

The less weight the better.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 01 Jan 2015, 8:57 pm

One of the many reasons I chose a Tikka was the 'fit" - it just fitted me better than some others, box mags ansd left handed action, what I wanted it for and then came price. See Simple!
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by North East » 01 Jan 2015, 9:04 pm

RoginaJack wrote:One of the many reasons I chose a Tikka was the 'fit" - it just fitted me better than some others, box mags ansd left handed action, what I wanted it for and then came price. See Simple!

Good to see another southpaw.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 02 Jan 2015, 6:41 pm

North East wrote:
RoginaJack wrote:One of the many reasons I chose a Tikka was the 'fit" - it just fitted me better than some others, box mags ansd left handed action, what I wanted it for and then came price. See Simple!

Good to see another southpaw.

Yeah, mate, welcome to the dark side...
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by cuvy » 03 Jan 2015, 8:03 am

1290 wrote:for what they're worth, my thoughts on the Tikka is that they are the Porsche of the rifle world... poor mans Ferrari, sorry, but most of the guys that buy a Tikka really wanted a Sako.... am I wrong? maybe. ((anyone who has recently posted multiple images of their (or their dads??) Tikka, dont chime in I couldnt give a flying eff of your opinion))

Does that make Howa a Subaru?
cuvy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 03 Jan 2015, 8:14 am

cuvy wrote:
1290 wrote:for what they're worth, my thoughts on the Tikka is that they are the Porsche of the rifle world... poor mans Ferrari, sorry, but most of the guys that buy a Tikka really wanted a Sako.... am I wrong? maybe. ((anyone who has recently posted multiple images of their (or their dads??) Tikka, dont chime in I couldnt give a flying eff of your opinion))

Does that make Howa a Subaru?

I hope so, cheaper to maintain and buy.

We were out yesterday shooting gongs at 750 and 1000yds in 15mph winds with the 308 Howa - was good fun only took 2 shots to get on the 750yd gong. :lol: :lol:

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Lorgar » 04 Jan 2015, 8:31 pm

Ditto.

I wanted the Fluted barrel/action but loved the Forest stock with the rollover cheek piece. The Forest only comes in a straight stock option though.

Was fortunate enough to have become semi-mates with one of the guys at my LGS and he swapped the stock from a Forest and the Fluted Hunter for me so I got the best of both worlds :D
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 04 Jan 2015, 8:41 pm

Lorgar wrote:I wanted the Fluted barrel/action but loved the Forest stock with the rollover cheek piece. The Forest only comes in a straight stock option though.

Was fortunate enough to have a bit of a relationship with one of the guys at my LGS and he swapped the stock from a Forest and the Fluted Hunter for me so I got the best of both worlds :D

Whooooooa dem horsies.......you say what?? :friends:
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Westy » 04 Jan 2015, 8:56 pm

1290 wrote:Whooooooa dem horsies.......you say what?? :friends:

Your mind is always in the gutter 1290
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Lorgar » 05 Jan 2015, 10:22 am

1290 wrote:Whooooooa dem horsies.......you say what?? :friends:

Original post edited for the deviant minds among us :P
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria