Savage axis .223

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Savage axis .223

Post by Ade » 17 Jan 2015, 5:41 pm

Any one got one? I've been thinking about a Center rifle for a while now. Cats foxes and dogs mostly. The axis seems like the right price and caliber seems right for the above pests. Don't want the accutrigger. How do you guys find the axis
Thanks
Brno model 2 .22
Beretta silver pigeon 12 bore
I.Hollis and Sons 12 bore side by side hammers sidelock 2,5
Ade
Private
Private

Western Australia

Re: Savage axis .223

Post by Jack V » 17 Jan 2015, 8:19 pm

I personally would not buy a Savage axis. I have heard the gunsmiths will not replace the barrel because the coating system glues the barrel in and Savage will not warrant barrel removal and I think the gunsmiths don't want the responsibility if the action is damaged. Just on that alone would steer me to a Howa or Weatherby Vanguard .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 17 Jan 2015, 10:31 pm

I had a few shots through one a couple years back. The factory trigger had been replaced with a rifle basix one. It was accurate and pleasant to shoot. The only problem I had with it was the bolt release button was very stiff and hurt your fingers but it's not a deal breaker given how often you would utilise it
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 18 Jan 2015, 10:09 am

I'm a savage fan..... but I would never buy an axis; they're a compromise of the savage system....
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Jack V » 18 Jan 2015, 10:18 am

Most of the budget guns shoot fairly well now due to CNC machines giving greater consistency over the batch and a similar situation with modern barrel making techniques . However some are basically throw away guns when the barrel is worn out . If that does not worry you then it could be ok to buy one.
You also have to handle a gun and see if you like the feel , fit and the looks . Sometimes you get set on a certain gun and when you actually handle it in the shop with other guns you decide you like something else better .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 18 Jan 2015, 11:44 am

Jack V wrote:Most of the budget guns shoot fairly well now due to CNC machines giving greater consistency over the batch and a similar situation with modern barrel making techniques . However some are basically throw away guns when the barrel is worn out . If that does not worry you then it could be ok to buy one.
You also have to handle a gun and see if you like the feel , fit and the looks . Sometimes you get set on a certain gun and when you actually handle it in the shop with other guns you decide you like something else better .

I think we are missing the point of rifles at this end of the price range.

Most of these are bought by people that will never wear out a barrel and if the barrel were to wear out the cost wouldn't be far off a new rifle.

Simply buy another rifle and go shooting the next day.

A mate and I did an old SAKO up as a project for him, all up it cost well over the two grand mark including purchase price, new barrel etc etc etc. In five years, including sighting in and two deer per year there are still seven shots left out of the original 40 factory rounds that were purchased at the time.

$72 per shot including ammo.

SAVAGE AXIS PP $600 = less than $20 per shot over the same amount of shooting and at 33 shots over five years the barrel will probably outlast the owner.

But at least the barrel on the SAKO can be replaced when it wears out.......................

Just another way to look at it, and remember there is an awful lot of shooting to be had from a .223 barrel with hunting loads.

Back on topic, I have tried an axis, was okay for the price but I would still prefer a HOWA.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Ade » 18 Jan 2015, 2:27 pm

It's the price that apeals for and occasional use new Center Fire. Basically I'm after a .223 under 500 with scope for occasional use wether it's new or second hand
Brno model 2 .22
Ade
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by FuzzyM » 18 Jan 2015, 6:18 pm

I like mine, I would have preferred one of the higher models, I also much prefer the accutrigger in my MKII, but it gets the job done.

Took it out today actually.

I quite like the new age stock with the ribbed hand hold bits, the stock is a bit flimsy on the front end, but I'm not after sub MOA.

It got me in the centerfire game, but didn't cost much.

I don't use it as often as my .22LR, so for the time being I'm glad I didn't spend big $$$ on it.

If I can find some good territory for some longer small game shots it will come out more often, I might consider upgrading, or maybe not.

I could be wrong, but I imagine it would take at least 5000 rounds of .223 to wear out a barrel of a bolt gun. Assuming good maintenance.

Mine was $550 secondhand but looked literally brand new, with the cheap package 3-9 Bushnell and a bag.
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by WesleySnipes » 18 Jan 2015, 7:47 pm

I have one. Mine shoots excellent with average ammo, it's quite light and good for trekking around with jist the rifle and a minimalist pack. Only today I was chasing goats around on the side of a mountain and managed to take 2 out with clean headshots with ease from roughly 150 metres unsupported.

Due to it's price range, the stock is terrible and will touch the barrel when even small amounts of pressure is applied. I'll put a noce Boyd laminate on it to stiffen it up. The trigger out of the box is terrible and needs work but I've lightened mine up to a safe pull in 10 minutes. It's also a long action which is a bit of a downer in a .223 but practice negates this and quick working of the bolt becomes easy.

Simply put, it's a budget rifle that shoots very well for the money. But the stock you get it in is rubbish as well as a fairly cheap scope, but I prefer this for a hunting rifle that takes a beating through harsh terrain, hence I've kept them on it.

I have a Leupold 3-9 ready to be put on but it will just take away from it's ability to take a beating.

There are also other budget rifles that shoot well with similar flaws, shop around and handle them.
WesleySnipes
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Ade » 19 Jan 2015, 12:50 am

It's hard to shop around as I live in the middle of a desert and the closet gun shop is six hrs drive on unsealed roads away
Brno model 2 .22
Ade
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by WesleySnipes » 19 Jan 2015, 8:42 am

I mean shop around in the context of looking at rifles in the same price range to find the one that best suits you (via the internet). What best suits you might be value for money, accuracy for money or whatever else, that's up to you.
Last edited by WesleySnipes on 19 Jan 2015, 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
WesleySnipes
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 19 Jan 2015, 10:06 am

Ade wrote:It's hard to shop around as I live in the middle of a desert and the closet gun shop is six hrs drive on unsealed roads away

The only thing you're missing out on is the handling for fit/comfort.... else everything can be done online, I'm pretty sure most/some? states allow remote firearm purchase to be deleivered and registered by the local cop shop.....

Oh, you did say WA.... probably not, that would be seen as assisting shooters... we can have that. :crazy:
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Jack V » 19 Jan 2015, 5:03 pm

Ade wrote:It's hard to shop around as I live in the middle of a desert and the closet gun shop is six hrs drive on unsealed roads away

Then I suggest you should buy a Howa , it's a better made more reliable design for not much more and any Gunsmith will be happy to work on it .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Jan 2015, 9:04 pm

Yep, a lot of people can the cheaper rifles but if you are hunting with them its pretty hard to wear them out. I purchased a marlin x7 just over $500 +scope. Mainly because my use is only ocassional. Light and with hand loads shoots about .7 moa. But it does look basic in black plastic. Purchased one in 3006 about 3 yrs ago and very happy with it too.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sha » 20 Jan 2015, 10:38 am

1290 wrote:I'm a savage fan..... but I would never buy an axis; they're a compromise of the savage system....

:thumbsup:

Don't have an Axis but have 3 Savages which have all been winners.

Two 93's and a 110 model. Price is a bit more so I know it's not quite a fair comparison but was money well spent IMO.
Savage Axis The Definition of Accuracy

Savage 93 .22 WMR
Savage 93R17 .17 HMR
Savage 110FP .308 WIN
sha
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Return to Centerfire rifles