New Rifle For Missus. Calibre?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

New Rifle For Missus. Calibre?

Post by MalleeFarmer » 22 Jan 2015, 8:23 pm

G'day,
I am Thinking about Getting a rifle for my Wife she has used my old .22-250 but the noise scares her, not so much the recoil although any recoil for a newcomer to rifles doesn't help. and the .22LR is to range sensitive for her to get confident hunting with but has been ideal for plinking at targets.

I was Thinking possibly a .204r but is this too similar to the obnoxiously Loud 250? i have never used one. if so i thought the new .17 WSM could be a nice calibre for her to build confidence but I'm wary of this as they don't seem to have caught on yet and i don't want a Rifle with no ammo that i cant reload for.

I'm open to suggestions on smaller centrefires as my experience is limited.

Cheers
MF
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: New Rifle For Missus. Calibre?

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Jan 2015, 9:47 pm

Buy her some ear muffs and save the $$ for something else - nothings loud with a good set of muffs :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by North East » 22 Jan 2015, 9:53 pm

G'day mate. The .204 Ruger is a fine caliber. But it is pretty loud and hearing protection has to be worn....like any centre fire. It's the speed queen and is probably the flattest shooter around that's why I like it....and it has bugger all recoil. :thumbsup:
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 22 Jan 2015, 10:18 pm

Done the ear muffs thing yea I know all CFs are noisy but the 250s bang with the best of em. How does a .204 compare with the 250?
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Jan 2015, 10:22 pm

MalleeFarmer wrote:Done the ear muffs thing yea I know all CFs are noisy but the 250s bang with the best of em. How does a .204 compare with the 250?

Not a lot diff from my experience with owning both, both are loudish, not that it worries me - I shoot both with or without earmuffs but generally with em 99% of the time.

I'm surprised she still can't handle the noise with muffs on, are they any good or just rubbish?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Baldrick314 » 23 Jan 2015, 5:06 am

I had a couple shots out if a 222 the other day. It seemed a fair bit quieter, more of a crack compared to the boom of my 22-250. Plus the 222 is renowned for good accuracy.
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by MalleeFarmer » 23 Jan 2015, 5:55 am

Thinking the .204 could be the go. Do any of you use smaller centrefires than the usual .222 .223 .204? How do they compare?
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Jan 2015, 6:35 am

The 222 is the quietest of the 222, 223, 204 cals you mention, a pleasure to shoot even without muffs, factory ammo is cheaper compared to the 204 too. 204 factory ammo can cost around $30-$40 per 20rds so not a cheap option compared to the 223 or 222 (223 being the cheapest for factory ammo).
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by MalleeFarmer » 23 Jan 2015, 6:19 pm

Ok by the sounds of this it'll be a toss up between the .204 and the .223
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Westy » 23 Jan 2015, 6:32 pm

I'm a huge fan of the 223 but if I didn't have 3 already I might have bought a 204 as they seem like a lot of fun!!!
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by MalleeFarmer » 24 Jan 2015, 10:48 am

Ok so we have decided the .204 will be the go mainly for minimal recoil and flat trajectory. (Good for confidence building) I am thinking we will be getting it in browning xbolt eclipse varmint, do any of you have any experience with these rifles?
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Jack V » 24 Jan 2015, 11:20 am

The weight of the rifle is also a big factor in how much recoil you feel . A light 204 might feel the same as a bit heavier 22-250 .
The thing is that the smaller the bore and the bigger the case capacity the higher the gas intensity out the muzzle so more noise.
I think your wife is sensitive to muzzle shock wave and the noise . Make sure she is not shooting with her mouth partially open as that lets the shock wave inside your head more . Buy a set of electronic earmuffs for her so she can hear conversation but not the load shots .
I agree that 222 rem is reasonably quite and so is a 6mm /222 . A bigger bore using a heavier bullet at lower velocity will make less noise and let the bullet weight do the job rather than velocity but felt recoil could be the same . A factory rifle in 6mm PPC down loaded a fair bit could be good low recoil and accurate . I don't know how many makers currently chamber for 222 rem or even the 6mm PPC so in the end your choice will be limited . I think sako still chamber for a 222 but I don't think Howa do anymore . 204 is more popular now so in the budget rifles 222 would be out I would say .
Last edited by Jack V on 24 Jan 2015, 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by North East » 24 Jan 2015, 11:42 am

The Browning Eclipse Varmint in .204 looks good. It's quite a heavy varmint rifle weighing about 91/2 Ibs. Recoil will be minimal.

A good choice.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 24 Jan 2015, 12:08 pm

North East wrote:The Browning Eclipse Varmint in .204 looks good. It's quite a heavy varmint rifle weighing about 91/2 Ibs. Recoil will be minimal.

A good choice.

thasts a fair chunk of weight given my .308 weighs 7lbs scoped :unknown:

i have a .204 in a CZ and the .204 is pretty loud, maybe as loud as a .308 but not as loud as a 22-250 or .243

i reckon for small game like rabbits and foxes out to 200m the 22 hornet or .222 would be a good buy and can be shot from a light rifle without massive amounts of recoil.

chronos

edit: also it should be said i'm looking for a carbine for my wife as the full size CZ is too front heavy for her
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by North East » 24 Jan 2015, 12:21 pm

Chronos wrote:
North East wrote:The Browning Eclipse Varmint in .204 looks good. It's quite a heavy varmint rifle weighing about 91/2 Ibs. Recoil will be minimal.

A good choice.

thasts a fair chunk of weight given my .308 weighs 7lbs scoped :unknown:

i have a .204 in a CZ and the .204 is pretty loud, maybe as loud as a .308 but not as loud as a 22-250 or .243

i reckon for small game like rabbits and foxes out to 200m the 22 hornet or .222 would be a good buy and can be shot from a light rifle without massive amounts of recoil.

chronos

My .30-06 weighs 6.9 Ibs scoped but that's a mountain rifle, the less weight the better, if you can tolerate the recoil.

If the OP's wife is not moving around to much the weight will not be an issue. I've got a T3 Varmint in .204 and it's just a sit and snipe rifle.

So many choices.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Combat_Wombat » 24 Jan 2015, 12:25 pm

Damn Chronos beat me to it but a 22 hornet in a CZ 527 would be a great set up for her. I'm contemplating getting one for my girlfriend her birthday is coming up soon :lol:
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 24 Jan 2015, 12:31 pm

Combat_Wombat wrote:Damn Chronos beat me to it but a 22 hornet in a CZ 527 would be a great set up for her. I'm contemplating getting one for my girlfriend her birthday is coming up soon :lol:

don't be scared to look at the original......

http://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=49725

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Combat_Wombat » 24 Jan 2015, 12:41 pm

Chronos wrote:
Combat_Wombat wrote:Damn Chronos beat me to it but a 22 hornet in a CZ 527 would be a great set up for her. I'm contemplating getting one for my girlfriend her birthday is coming up soon :lol:

don't be scared to look at the original......

http://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=49725

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Chronos

Damn nice bit of gear! Shame I've just already bought a new rifle
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Jack V » 24 Jan 2015, 2:27 pm

Hornet cases are too weak and don't last long. A 222 and just load it down a bit will be just like a Hornet and the cases will last way better .
Even a 223 down loaded is a better prospect than a Hornet giving some future room for improvement .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 24 Jan 2015, 2:31 pm

Jack V wrote:Hornet cases are too weak and don't last long. A 222 and just load it down a bit will be just like a Hornet and the cases will last way better .
Even a 223 down loaded is a better prospect than a Hornet giving some future room for improvement .

Really? That's the first I've heard of this.

Chronos

Edit: actually i have heard of it but didn't take much notice because I don't own one.
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by MalleeFarmer » 24 Jan 2015, 3:40 pm

I'm still leaning towards the .204 but thanks all for your input it is very appreciated.. it is good to have informative posts helping me choose a caliber. only thing is i cant find the browning xbolt eclipse varmint on the australian browning/winchester site. hmm what to do.
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Jack V » 24 Jan 2015, 6:34 pm

MalleeFarmer wrote:I'm still leaning towards the .204 but thanks all for your input it is very appreciated.. it is good to have informative posts helping me choose a caliber. only thing is i cant find the browning xbolt eclipse varmint on the australian browning/winchester site. hmm what to do.

I new that would be your problem you will be limited by what you can get . The 204 is a great cartridge but what if Ruger suddenly decide to drop it ?
At least with a 223 there is heaps of other weapons that use it and many manufacturers making the ammo .
Also have you checked with your local farm supplies they may sell ammo at primary producer rates and it will not be 204 ruger .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by North East » 24 Jan 2015, 9:39 pm

Jack V wrote:
MalleeFarmer wrote:I'm still leaning towards the .204 but thanks all for your input it is very appreciated.. it is good to have informative posts helping me choose a caliber. only thing is i cant find the browning xbolt eclipse varmint on the australian browning/winchester site. hmm what to do.

I new that would be your problem you will be limited by what you can get . The 204 is a great cartridge but what if Ruger suddenly decide to drop it ?
At least with a 223 there is heaps of other weapons that use it and many manufacturers making the ammo .
Also have you checked with your local farm supplies they may sell ammo at primary producer rates and it will not be 204 ruger .

I live in a classified remote area....I can still get .204 Ruger.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 24 Jan 2015, 10:52 pm

Jack V wrote:

Confused here, if Ruger drop the .204 cartridge?? Many manufactures chamber it and a number of suppliers load for it and there's generally plenty of cases and projectiles in stock so it'll be a non-event if Ruger lose interest in the round.
It's really a 50/50 split between the .204 & .223 and much will depend on what your personal preferences are in manufacturer and what appearance appeals to you. Personally I have a .204 Sako 85, 22-250 Sako 85 and recently acquired a Weatherby .257 Magnum and all 3 are deadly accurate though for small game the .204 gets my vote.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by MalleeFarmer » 25 Jan 2015, 7:58 am

I'm not worried about getting a rifle chambered in .204 but I am not sure if the rifle I want is available in australia
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Jack V » 25 Jan 2015, 11:45 am

brett1868 wrote:
Jack V wrote:

Confused here, if Ruger drop the .204 cartridge?? Many manufactures chamber it and a number of suppliers load for it and there's generally plenty of cases and projectiles in stock so it'll be a non-event if Ruger lose interest in the round.
It's really a 50/50 split between the .204 & .223 and much will depend on what your personal preferences are in manufacturer and what appearance appeals to you. Personally I have a .204 Sako 85, 22-250 Sako 85 and recently acquired a Weatherby .257 Magnum and all 3 are deadly accurate though for small game the .204 gets my vote.

Yes your right but if a company stops pushing their product then over time it can fade away . It's popularity starts to wane and sooner or later other gun manufactures drop the chambering just like about 6 other cartridges I could name . In the interim what happens is the ammo gets more expensive .
In my time I have seen 6mm Rem, 250 savage , 300 savage , 22/ 303 25/303 , 7.7 x54 , 222 magnum , 221 fireball , 222 rem , 222 rimed , 220 swift , 7.61 S&H , 308 Norma magnum all but disappear from mainstream new guns that we get here . So it can happen to the 204 but I agree that it would take some time and being based on the 222 Magnum case it may stay around a lot longer than some of the others did .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Jack V » 25 Jan 2015, 11:59 am

North East wrote:
Jack V wrote:

I live in a classified remote area....I can still get .204 Ruger.

Limited in what "gun " he can get not ammo . 204 ammunition is at the height of it's popularity so it's fairly easy to get .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by MalleeFarmer » 25 Jan 2015, 1:16 pm

Ok Were settled on the .204 :D I will start another thread for a rifle.
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by KWhorenet » 25 Jan 2015, 1:33 pm

Likely to go down the 20-223 route this year. Pac Nor make the barrel pre chambered, 223 brass can be had, one pass of a neck bushing die: formed brass.
Something different but cant really see any issues.

As far as primary producer ammo prices go; I've looked into it around Vic and the prices were worse. Claiming back GST and deducting the cost on tax if you actually are a primary producer can make it cheap. I think this is what they bank on you doing.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by MalleeFarmer » 25 Jan 2015, 1:40 pm

Yes I already claim all my ammo on tax as it is used on foxes and bunnies.
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles