.204 ruger.. varmint rifle what brand?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

.204 ruger.. varmint rifle what brand?

Post by MalleeFarmer » 25 Jan 2015, 1:26 pm

Hi I'm getting My wife a .204 ruger for her first rifle she is set on the .204 now but I'm wondering what brand or model to buy we are quite keen on a browning xbolt eclipse varmint but I'm not sure if they import that model. :unknown: Also considering a CZ527 timber stock, savage 12 varmint laminated stock or an xbolt predator. If you have any experience with any of these rifles or other .204 cal rifles I would like to hear your opinion! Cheers
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: .204 ruger.. varmint rifle what brand?

Post by Gwion » 26 Jan 2015, 6:22 am

Will she be wandering around with it, Mallee? Don't know about the other rifles but after 6 months of walking around with my Howa HB it was so nose heavy and hard to point quickly that had 6" cut off the end. In a boyde stock with scope it is now a slim 9.2lb!!!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Chronos » 26 Jan 2015, 8:30 am

Gwion wrote:Will she be wandering around with it, Mallee? Don't know about the other rifles but after 6 months of walking around with my Howa HB it was so nose heavy and hard to point quickly that had 6" cut off the end. In a boyde stock with scope it is now a slim 9.2lb!!!

very good point. the CZ varmint has a lighter profile than most of the other varmint rifles

as for your choice i'm afraid it may be on you to do the leg work and look through the manufacturers spec sheets and shortlist a few then approach your LGS and see whats available

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 26 Jan 2015, 8:37 am

Tikka
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Westy » 26 Jan 2015, 9:50 am

Warrigul wrote:Tikka

Cz if it's for the wife unless she's like Arnnie then go the tikka :crazy: :wtf: :huh
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by North East » 26 Jan 2015, 10:17 am

The T3 Varmint is about 8Ibs, very accurate, the action is smooth as silk and it won't break the bank. I think they are going for about $1200.00.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 26 Jan 2015, 2:44 pm

North East wrote:The T3 Varmint is about 8Ibs, very accurate, the action is smooth as silk and it won't break the bank. I think they are going for about $1200.00.

I don't like the CZ, prefer TIKKA over anything else any day.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by North East » 26 Jan 2015, 2:55 pm

Warrigul wrote:
North East wrote:The T3 Varmint is about 8Ibs, very accurate, the action is smooth as silk and it won't break the bank. I think they are going for about $1200.00.

I don't like the CZ, prefer TIKKA over anything else any day.

I can't fault Tikka rifles. I've got two now and they are real value for money.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Jan 2015, 6:08 pm

I've been using the Howa 204 to good effect on the bunnies and foxes. I bought the whole outfit for $780 delivered (2nd Hand)

Both shot at 270+m

All shot from 220m-257m (Factory Ammo)
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by brett1868 » 26 Jan 2015, 7:43 pm

I've got the Sako 85 stainless Varmint with laminate stock and set trigger and I have its twin in 22-250. All the big names are probably equal in terms of accuracy so as previously suggested do some research and see what fits the budget and your missus. Get the missus to shoulder the rifle and try and hold a target for a minute to test if it's too heavy for her. Not sure how your missus is built so first find something that's comfortable for her then worry about brand later. Pity you're not up Sydney way so you could try mine at the range to see if she likes it.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by RDobber » 27 Jan 2015, 3:27 pm

North East wrote:The T3 Varmint

:thumbsup:

Bit more expensive than the other brands mentioned but if it's in the budget they're a winner.
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Chronos » 27 Jan 2015, 3:46 pm

RDobber wrote:
North East wrote:The T3 Varmint

:thumbsup:

Bit more expensive than the other brands mentioned but if it's in the budget they're a winner.

they're good value at the moment at around $1275...better than the near $1500 i paid 5-6 years ago :cry:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Jack V » 27 Jan 2015, 4:12 pm

Well I reckon you are being a chauvinist Mallee . Let your wife pick her own gun that she likes the feel and handling off . The way this is going she will only get a gun that suits you !! Or is that the plan all along ? Unless it's a surprise gift then I retract .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Jack V » 27 Jan 2015, 4:41 pm

Tikka is a good gun but the CZ 527 has a lot going for it . it's basically a mini Mauser , split lug with blade ejector so you don't have to eject hard if you don't want to. Good for spotlighting and not loosing cases. Good solid ala Mauser claw extractor . Nice handling gun . I don't think the weight differences are all that limiting .
A lot depends on the model and barrel profile . You can get a carbine length barrel in the CZ 527 . Tikka might have the quality edge , probably a better made barrel on the Tikka but the CZ 527 looks well made . CZ ( Brno) have always made good handling hunting rifles , they may not be tacticool as some others but good guns but you can get the set trigger which others say works well . You can only get the carbine in 7.62x39 so that's no good.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by MalleeFarmer » 28 Jan 2015, 7:07 am

Jack V wrote:Well I reckon you are being a chauvinist Mallee . Let your wife pick her own gun that she likes the feel and handling off . The way this is going she will only get a gun that suits you !! Or is that the plan all along ? Unless it's a surprise gift then I retract .
haha. Maybe so and she will we live 250k from our nearest gun shop so going to find a rifle is troublesome and time consuming so I'm getting some ideas before we go she is the one that likes the browning xbolt varmint but I don't want her to be set on something and then not like it so we are so far looking at ruger m77 varmint the xbolt and perhaps the Cz or maybe a tikka. Even a howa might be ok but she likes pretty guns and howas aren't overly pretty.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 28 Jan 2015, 7:54 am

Sounds like she chosen by appearance..... my 'boss' likes a timber stocked bolt..... but just quietly loves a lever....

There are so many styles (and chamberings!) That any Newby really needs to spend an hour in a gun shop fondling, shouldering, operating different rifles... failing that- they'll have to settle on a given combo.
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Jack V » 28 Jan 2015, 8:42 am

MalleeFarmer wrote:haha. Maybe so and she will we live 250k from our nearest gun shop so going to find a rifle is troublesome and time consuming so I'm getting some ideas before we go she is the one that likes the browning xbolt varmint but I don't want her to be set on something and then not like it so we are so far looking at ruger m77 varmint the xbolt and perhaps the Cz or maybe a tikka. Even a howa might be ok but she likes pretty guns and howas aren't overly pretty.

Fair enough but if she likes pretty then that's what she wants .
We still have not heard much about the actual type of hunting she will do with it . Howa is a good gun but your right they are not fancy . I have had two and still have a Howa 223 but the pin ejector is a bit of a pain when spotlighting if you forget to cover the ejection port with your left hand under the gun so the case don't end up under the car seats or worse out the window . It's fairly hard to pick a gun without handling a few .
You would not go far wrong with an x bolt . I have seen a few at my range and helped a mate with one and they all seem happy with them .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by MalleeFarmer » 28 Jan 2015, 10:06 am

yes apologies mostly it will be sitting sniping at bunnies or spotlighting and a little bit of target shooting not likely to be lots of walking at this stage though it would be a possibility in the future
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Jack V » 28 Jan 2015, 2:38 pm

Ok then a rigid stock , some weather resistance and a removable bi--pod is on the cards . I would go for something with a standard shape laminated stock and stainless .
Either a Tikka T3 Laminated stainless or a Howa laminated stainless as the stock shape is also ok for spotlighting and stalking . The x -bolt's varmint laminated stock is too radical and will restrict uses dramatically but the Eclipse Varmint looks good except don't bang the thumbhole stock around as they do tend to crack at the top . Don't sacrifice a rigid laminated stock for a heavy barrel . A heavy barrel in a weak plastic stock is little advantage .
Salo 85 laminated stainless would be good also. Go heavy barrel if she likes it as long as it comes with a standard laminated stock shape , stainless and 204R chambering off course . Don't let her worry about one being a tad heavier than the other , off the bi-pod and out the window it will not feel much different but extra weight on the bi-pod helps accuracy . I don't see a pressing need to go heavy barrel in a 204R really .
Bi-pod should be an Atlas with a Quick Detachable 1913 Picatinny rail mount . Just buy a short section of Picatinny rail from ebay ( also called a 1913 rail ) and screw it under the forend well forward so it don't get in the way resting the forend on a sand bag , BR rest or window rest but it must be nice and straight inline with the barrel . http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Atlas-Bipod- ... 20f28ec9f2
If an atlas is too expensive then go a Harris BRMS with pod lock and buy an American defence adapter for the 1913 rail or just connect it to the sling stud .
It is still removable but not as rigid .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 28 Jan 2015, 2:57 pm

Jack V wrote:Ok then a rigid stock , some weather resistance and a removable bi--pod is on the cards . I would go for something with a standard shape laminated stock and stainless .
Don't sacrifice a rigid laminated stock for a heavy barrel . A heavy barrel in a weak plastic stock is little advantage .

There are no accuracy issues with the Tikka plastic stock, this is generally something put out by people who haven't used them. I shot some very impressive scores with two of mine and even the T3 Lite in .243 I still have is of a high standard.

I have no problems with my Howa in its original stock either, but to be honest haven't shot that past 600.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Jack V » 28 Jan 2015, 3:04 pm

Warrigul wrote:
Jack V wrote:Ok then a rigid stock , some weather resistance and a removable bi--pod is on the cards . I would go for something with a standard shape laminated stock and stainless .
Don't sacrifice a rigid laminated stock for a heavy barrel . A heavy barrel in a weak plastic stock is little advantage .

There are no accuracy issues with the Tikka plastic stock, this is generally something put out by people who haven't used them. I shot some very impressive scores with two of mine and even the T3 Lite in .243 I still have is of a high standard.

I have no problems with my Howa in its original stock either, but to be honest haven't shot that past 600.

You are imagining things mate it's not a comment directed at a Tikka or any other particular brand . It's about heavy barrels in weak stocks as compared to just having a lighter barrel in that stock , Any weak plastic stock in general not a particular plastic stock .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 28 Jan 2015, 3:08 pm

Jack V wrote:
Warrigul wrote:

You are imagining things mate it's not a comment directed at a Tikka or any other particular brand . It's about heavy barrels in weak stocks as compared to just having a lighter barrel in that stock , Any weak plastic stock in general not a particular plastic stock .

I think it to be an incorrect statement and horribly misleading to anyone considering buying a varmint rifle, have you owned a varmint or a super varmint? It is not as if I don't own other rifles to compare them to at distance.

Honestly a .204 is not going to be much of a strain even for a cheap remington stock, a synthetic tikka varmint would be an excellent rifle for 99% of shooters..

And just of late I have seen quite a few laminated stocks with issues, one that split in the wrist(and wouldn't I be pissed at that if I had spent $800) and another than has cracked down a laminate..
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Lorgar » 28 Jan 2015, 3:40 pm

MalleeFarmer wrote:so far looking at ruger m77 varmint the xbolt and perhaps the Cz or maybe a tikka.

My 2c.

I have a M77 and a Tikka Fluted Hunter in the Forest stock.

I like a lot about the Ruger, but for what it's worth I'd go a Tikka again if I bought another rifle.

Just shoots better than the Ruger. Bit lighter too which is a plus.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles