CMC Mountaineer

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

CMC Mountaineer

Post by Ade » 26 Jan 2015, 10:25 am

Any got info on these?

Who makes em, what are they like etc.

Thanks.
Brno model 2 .22
Beretta silver pigeon 12 bore
I.Hollis and Sons 12 bore side by side hammers sidelock 2,5
Ade
Private
Private

Western Australia

Re: Cmc mountineer

Post by headspace » 26 Jan 2015, 10:57 am

They are a Howa barrel and action I'm pretty sure, not too sure about the stock or who made it though.
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Re: Cmc mountineer

Post by Korkt » 29 Jan 2015, 2:34 pm

headspace wrote:They are a Howa barrel and action I'm pretty sure, not too sure about the stock or who made it though.

Made by Howa all round AFAIK.

Imported from direct from how just stamped as CMC Mountaineer.

It's been a good few years since I've seen one though so could have changed.
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: CMC Mountaineer

Post by Gregg » 29 Jan 2015, 2:39 pm

Had a 22-250 20 years ago as an all-purpose varmint rifle.

Bought second hand already floated and fully bedded, don't know how the out of the box accuracy was but bedded it shot well enough for pest control out to 200m.

Only complaint is the trigger wasn't what you'd call crisp. Trip to the smith fixed that though and it was a good worker. :thumbsup:
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Jan 2015, 3:27 pm

Yep CMC Mountaineer is made by Howa for the Commercial Marketing Company hence the CMC on the action. I believe they had connections to the Oberon area of NSW hence the reference to Oberon on the action also. Got one in 222 HB which is a great little shooter indeed and the reason why I own 3 Howa's. :thumbsup:

The Barreled Action now sits in a Boyds Thumbhole Stock

Shoots well too.

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Jack V » 29 Jan 2015, 6:31 pm

I have a CMC Australian Mountaineer 223 , 1 of 500 celebration rifle by Howa and it is a good shooter also . The yanks are just starting to discover the Howa's accuracy and it will not be long before the price goes up . So get one while you can. You can buy a new barrelled action cheaper and put it in a better stock like bigfellascott has done.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by yoshie » 29 Jan 2015, 7:16 pm

They were the rifle before Howa 1500 and Weatherby Vanguard, and the state's they also were sold as Smith and Wesson 1500. There was a few slight differences between the Mountaineer and the 1500/Vanguard but they all take the same scope bases and fit in the same stocks. There bolt was a bit different and the trigger on the early Mountaineers was different. All made in Japan.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by deye243 » 29 Jan 2015, 9:34 pm

also known as the smith & wesson mod 1500

i need glasses :oops:
Last edited by deye243 on 30 Jan 2015, 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Jan 2015, 10:34 pm

CMC also had Brno Mod 2's I think it was named after them too. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Jan 2015, 10:54 pm

deye243 wrote:also known as the smith & wesson mod 1500

Also known as the Mossberg 1500 as well :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Jack V » 30 Jan 2015, 12:35 pm

bigfellascott wrote:CMC also had Brno Mod 2's I think it was named after them too. :thumbsup:

I think what was going on was CMC would have them made by Brno and then get them at a special price if CMC covered any warranty issues.
Brno or CMC or both would require the guns be stamped CMC so that gun shops etc. would now which was which .
I remember when a certain gun shop was buying them for $70 and selling them for $350 odd . but you never got a Brno warranty , the shop covered the warranty such as it was.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Jan 2015, 1:03 pm

Jack V wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:CMC also had Brno Mod 2's I think it was named after them too. :thumbsup:

I think what was going on was CMC would have them made by Brno and then get them at a special price if CMC covered any warranty issues.
Brno or CMC or both would require the guns be stamped CMC so that gun shops etc. would now which was which .
I remember when a certain gun shop was buying them for $70 and selling them for $350 odd . but you never got a Brno warranty , the shop covered the warranty such as it was.

You could be right Jack, not that the warranty side would worry me much, I'd imagine most firearms with warranty issues would have been sorted here anyway (I couldn't imagine too many being set back to country of origin for repairs unless they were major).

I'd imagine the Commercial Marketing Co would have approached Brno or who ever the importer was and ordered XYZ number and in doing so a deal would have been struck to have the CMC logo etc stamped on them in the manufacturing process somewhere along the the line, no doubt the same thing happened with the Howa line too. :thumbsup:

I think a similar thing happens today with some scopes.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Jack V » 31 Jan 2015, 10:25 am

I think the difference was that with a Brno warranty , Brno paid for it to be fixed here by a qualified gunsmith or if necessary gave you a new gun through the official importer . With a dealer warranty the official importer and Brno wash their hands of that gun and the dealer pays someone to fix it , possibly a qualified gunsmith and maybe just a cripple with a big hammer out the back of the shop . Even factory warranties can be iffy but I think I prefer to pay the extra money and buy one that has come in through the official importer . I was with a mate once that spent $ 15 000 cash in a certain gunshop. Well he organised a good discount two Brno Mod 2's and a Brno 308 free. We thought we were doing fairly good until the deal was over and the owner admitted he only paid $ 70 for the model 2's and $200 for the 308.
That was a long time ago though .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 31 Jan 2015, 11:33 am

$70 for a Brno Mod 2, I though I was doing well at $180 for a new one (came with Jap Tasco and Mounts) :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Jack V » 31 Jan 2015, 2:26 pm

bigfellascott wrote:$70 for a Brno Mod 2, I though I was doing well at $180 for a new one (came with Jap Tasco and Mounts) :D

$70 wholesale direct . $180 retail , you did very well and that must have ben a long time ago .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 31 Jan 2015, 3:14 pm

Jack V wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:$70 for a Brno Mod 2, I though I was doing well at $180 for a new one (came with Jap Tasco and Mounts) :D

$70 wholesale direct . $180 retail , you did very well and that must have ben a long time ago .

Yeah mate she was indeed a long time ago. :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by sha » 01 Feb 2015, 12:08 pm

Bloody good shooting BFS :thumbsup:
Savage Axis The Definition of Accuracy

Savage 93 .22 WMR
Savage 93R17 .17 HMR
Savage 110FP .308 WIN
sha
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 01 Feb 2015, 12:34 pm

sha wrote:Bloody good shooting BFS :thumbsup:

Not too shabby for a 35yr ol rifle hey. :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bourt » 03 Feb 2015, 2:34 pm

Shooting 2c coins when you got it hey :D
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 03 Feb 2015, 2:40 pm

Bourt wrote:Shooting 2c coins when you got it hey :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by mad » 25 Mar 2016, 7:33 am

hi guys just joined. curious what would be considered a reasonable 2nd price for 1 of these CMCs. Chasing a 223 on a tight budget and have seen 1 advertised but due to not knowing much about the CMC brand google lead me to this forum where there seems to be a wealth of knowledge. appreciate any help thanks.
mad
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 25 Mar 2016, 12:35 pm

mad wrote:hi guys just joined. curious what would be considered a reasonable 2nd price for 1 of these CMCs. Chasing a 223 on a tight budget and have seen 1 advertised but due to not knowing much about the CMC brand google lead me to this forum where there seems to be a wealth of knowledge. appreciate any help thanks.

Made by Howa so whatever a Howa sells for 2nd hand (mind you I reckon they were better finished back then) got one myself and its a beautiful little rifle and very bloody accurate (I won't be selling it ever!)
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by GLS_1956 » 26 Mar 2016, 12:51 am

Howas are nice guns, admittedly the ones I've seen have had Smith&Wesson or Weatherby stamped on them as well, but there is no complaint about the quality. I do believe that Howas are now imported into the USA under their own flag as well.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Mar 2016, 5:33 am

GLS_1956 wrote:Howas are nice guns, admittedly the ones I've seen have had Smith&Wesson or Weatherby stamped on them as well, but there is no complaint about the quality. I do believe that Howas are now imported into the USA under their own flag as well.

Yeah they used to make a lot of firearms for quite a few manufacturers (all the same just with the companies name stamped on the receivers) they used to even make parts for Sakos at one stage and the Howa Action was based on one of theirs (my L461AI Sako and my Howa's look very similar in the action and floor plate design) :lol:

Howa even made an exact copy of a Sako L61R which resulted in a lawsuit and them parting ways! :lol:

https://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=529911
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 26 Mar 2016, 1:23 pm

What's that howie chambered in 22rimfire??
The mag cutout should be a bit more serious;

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 27 Mar 2016, 5:01 am

Both 222 mate :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by inventurkey » 21 Apr 2016, 9:58 am

After market trigger on the top one there?
Savage Axis Stainless in .308
Tikka Lite .22-250 Rem
inventurkey
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Apr 2016, 2:15 pm

inventurkey wrote:After market trigger on the top one there?

No mate both standard factory jobbies - that have been tuned by the Ebay Trigger Guy :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by franc » 10 Jun 2016, 1:46 pm

He's really grabbed that market.

Must be making a damn good living tinkering with triggers.
Remington 700. .308 Winchester.
franc
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Jun 2016, 2:09 pm

franc wrote:He's really grabbed that market.

Must be making a damn good living tinkering with triggers.

Glen does a fantastic job on triggers and an excellent price and very quick turnaround too. He's done my Sako and all my Howas and will get all my trigger work in the future.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles