New Rifle - Tikka T3 Hunter Stainless Fluted .243

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: New Rifle - Tikka T3 Hunter Stainless Fluted .243

Post by wade06 » 21 Nov 2016, 10:42 am

RoginaJack wrote:I 1st put PPU ammo through my Tikka 243w Lite to run it in at the range and got Gold Coast Reloads to reload them with 75gr. Speer H.P. for feral dogs - the 95gr were too severe on 'em. Keep these for Fallow deer or try the 100gr. The 95gr/100gr should handle goats and pigs with well placed shots.

Good hunting.

Gold Coast Reloads looked pretty good. Reloaded 243 rounds were about $30 per 20 + postage. Certainly no dearer than cheaper factory ammo.
I sent an email and didn't hear back. Called GCR and told them what I was after, they said they would email me postage costs & details... never heard back.

Going to start with factory ammo instead. 243 Tikka 90gr soft points are about $100 per 50. Will see how they go on deer and foxes and go from there.
Will keep the empty cases just in case I do reload. The gun comes with 243 dies.
Walnut Lithgow La101 .22LR - Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42
Tikka T3 Lite .243W - Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Nov 2016, 4:20 pm

I did a trigger mod to mine today, I went to the local fastener place and bought a grub screw slightly shorter than the 10mm one that is standard on them and I honed that down (Hex head end) until it was around 7mm I guess (didn't measure it) but the slot for the allenkey was gone put it that way, then screwed it in until it just cleared the screw that mounts the trigger to the action, then I reinstalled the trigger to the action and tested and it worked a treat, I tested the pull weight using my pan tensioner tester and it was breaking around 1.5lb consistently so that will do nicely (feel slightly lighter than the max I could get out of it standard @ around 2lb) I was going to order a YoDave spring kit for it but no need now.

I also did a heap of diff bump tests including banging the stock on the floor, pushing hard on the bolt shroud, banging the action and slamming he bolt home fast/hard and also tested the safety (not that I use those) anyway all good, I'll give it a test in the field and go from there if it needs any adjustments but pretty sure it will be fine.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by wade06 » 21 Nov 2016, 6:41 pm

:thumbsup:
Walnut Lithgow La101 .22LR - Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42
Tikka T3 Lite .243W - Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal