New Rifle - Tikka T3 Hunter Stainless Fluted .243

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

New Rifle - Tikka T3 Hunter Stainless Fluted .243

Post by Sam45 » 09 Feb 2015, 6:03 pm

Hey guys,

Would like to get some view points on this set up. New here and still waiting for my licence darn it :crazy: Been 12 weeks today. QLD love it lol. I am looking at a Tika T3 Hunter stainless, fluted in .243. Was thinking of matching it up to a Leupold VX-R 4-12 X 40. Will be my main hunting rifle and omly one for a while as the cost is up there. I have spoken to a few gun shops in regards to the above.

Would be great if I could get some pro's and cons on this set up. Not just from the salesman.

Thanks in advance. :drinks:
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: New Rifle

Post by Baldrick314 » 09 Feb 2015, 7:35 pm

Welcome :)

I've only ever heard good things about Tikka, don't have one myself but I would definitely consider one for my next rifle.

I don't like 243 as a calibre, it seems to me to have an inordinate amount of muzzle blast and I don't find them a pleasant calibre to shoot but they are an effective cartridge on medium game and plenty of guys swear by them. I much prefer the 308, it will take the same game and perhaps larger, supports heavier projectiles and I find it more pleasant to shoot.

I'm a big fan of leupold optics and think you'll be happy with that scope.

What kind of hunting do you normally do? What game would you mostly be after?
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by North East » 09 Feb 2015, 7:54 pm

Sam45 wrote:Hey guys,

Would like to get some view points on this set up. New here and still waiting for my licence darn it :crazy: Been 12 weeks today. QLD love it lol. I am looking at a Tika T3 Hunter stainless, fluted in .243. Was thinking of matching it up to a Leupold VX-R 4-12 X 40. Will be my main hunting rifle and omly one for a while as the cost is up there. I have spoken to a few gun shops in regards to the above.

Would be great if I could get some pro's and cons on this set up. Not just from the salesman.

Thanks in advance. :drinks:

I wouldn't give a stuff whether it's a .243 or .30-06. Tikka do work no matter what the cost...any caliber. And they just happen to be reasonably cheap.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Westy » 10 Feb 2015, 6:24 am

Hi Sam that sounds like a great around rifle and scope package right there and will be effective on all things here in Queensland... A lot of guys use a 243 as a one stop shop and it will work great especially with some Leopold glass on top.... good luck with the tikka their great shooters and good hunting
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Sam45 » 10 Feb 2015, 7:07 pm

Baldrick314 wrote:Welcome :)

I've only ever heard good things about Tikka, don't have one myself but I would definitely consider one for my next rifle.

I don't like 243 as a calibre, it seems to me to have an inordinate amount of muzzle blast and I don't find them a pleasant calibre to shoot but they are an effective cartridge on medium game and plenty of guys swear by them. I much prefer the 308, it will take the same game and perhaps larger, supports heavier projectiles and I find it more pleasant to shoot.

I'm a big fan of leupold optics and think you'll be happy with that scope.

What kind of hunting do you normally do? What game would you mostly be after?

Fair enough on the calibre. First rifle so i would like to learn a little before i go buying a cannon :lol: Will be looking at the .308 next. Scope wise i think it's good value for money. I have read up a lot on the scopes and the price point was right for me. As for the hunting it will be feral's some deer for eating :) Maybe pigs... foxes,Roo's down in NSW on a friends property ( Cattle ) Rabbitt's, or maybe nothing at all and just a camp fire for s**t's and giggles.

Westy wrote:Hi Sam that sounds like a great around rifle and scope package right there and will be effective on all things here in Queensland... A lot of guys use a 243 as a one stop shop and it will work great especially with some Leopold glass on top.... good luck with the tikka their great shooters and good hunting

Yer from what i have read it seems to be on the mark. :)

North East wrote:I wouldn't give a stuff whether it's a .243 or .30-06. Tikka do work no matter what the cost...any caliber. And they just happen to be reasonably cheap.

Yep good accuracy out of the box :drinks:
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Feb 2015, 7:21 pm

She'll do the job fine mate, enjoy it. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Re: New Rifle - Tikka T3 Hunter Stainless Fluted .243

Post by RDobber » 11 Feb 2015, 9:58 am

Can't go wrong with a Tikka mate.

.243 is a great first calibre. Load light fast cartirdges for busting bunnies and foxes and 500m. Load up some heavy pills for game hunting. Check your legal regs and there are minimum calibres for Red, Rusa and Sambar deer in some states.

.243 will let you take Chital, Fallow and Hog, and is plenty for goats and pigs too so it still does plenty. Just check QLD regs on the bigger deer species.
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Lorgar » 11 Feb 2015, 10:11 am

I have the Hunter Stainless Fluted in 7mm-08, shoots like this ;)

Sam45 wrote:Fair enough on the calibre. First rifle so i would like to learn a little before i go buying a cannon :lol:

On the subject of calibre, I previously had a .243 and .308 for similar reasons as you've suggested. But I'd suggest you take a look at the 7mm-08

Basically the .308 was the game rifle carried by me and the .243 was the varmint/small game rifle. .243 also served as a lower recoil option for the girlfriend to carry while we were out. Victoria has the minimum cal laws mentioned above which created the issue of .243 not being legal for the larger 3 deer which was annoying.

I've since sold the .243 and the .308 is a backup only, 7mm-08 is my do it all now.

I have 2 regular loads for mine. A 120gr load which is the 'low recoil' load for mucking about at the range and the GF enjoys shooting it, and I have a 140gr load for hunting anywhere I could run into a large deer.

It might sound similar to the .308 (which it is) but I could never get light pills (110gr - 125gr) to shoot anywhere near that accurately in my .308. I had to shoot 150gr - 165gr for best performance. The 7mm loves the 120gr though and felt recoil is significantly less that the heavier pills in a .308. The 140gr shoot great too obviously.

With the two loads I have a light recoil option in the 120gr, the 140gr don't hit real hard anyway, and with the two I'm legally able to hunt everything Australia wide.

Hope that's worth something to you.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 11 Feb 2015, 3:18 pm

Nothing wrong with a TIKKA - great rifle and great value.

Here's a group at 100yds. - factory ammo. Yep, I pulled the last (5th) shot!

I'd choose a 30.06 over a 308. Overall, I think that the '06 is a far better performer.

shoot.01a.jpg
5 rounds, 100yds. L to R breeze & slight mirage.
shoot.01a.jpg (371.64 KiB) Viewed 7279 times
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Sam45 » 11 Feb 2015, 6:17 pm

Awesome stuff guys, thanks heaps for the detailed replies and loads for the various pills. Well some good news sort of, the decision has been made and it (my answer ) is on the way.... Not sure how they give you the answer lol. They must just send out the licence lol as they would not tell me over the phone. With the Deer here in QLD, I may be wrong, I think it's ok with the .243.

NSW and Vic IIRC is a minimum of .270. So much info to digest which is great. I will still grab the .243 and go from there. Once I have that sorted and saved some more $$$ I will step up.

Again lads, thanks heaps for the info. Really appreciated :drinks:

Oh, and darn that is some good shooting on those targets. :thumbsup:
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Baronvonrort » 11 Feb 2015, 7:35 pm

It depends on which species for Deer,smaller ones are ok Sambar might need something bigger.

The 243 is a good round,lots of high BC projectiles shoots flat and hits pretty hard,nothing I have hit with it has got back up.

I agree with Lorgar on the 7mm-08 for a bigger gun instead of the 308, the 7mm-08 wallops harder than a 308 or 30-06 at 500 -1000 yards and does it with less bullet drop and windage thanks to much higher BC projectiles.

The 7mm-08 hits harder than a 308/3006 is more accurate and does it with less recoil.

If you need something bigger again a 7mm Remington magnum.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by North East » 11 Feb 2015, 7:57 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:It depends on which species for Deer,smaller ones are ok Sambar might need something bigger.

The 243 is a good round,lots of high BC projectiles shoots flat and hits pretty hard,nothing I have hit with it has got back up.

I agree with Lorgar on the 7mm-08 for a bigger gun instead of the 308, the 7mm-08 wallops harder than a 308 or 30-06 at 500 -1000 yards and does it with less bullet drop and windage thanks to much higher BC projectiles.

The 7mm-08 hits harder than a 308/3006 is more accurate and does it with less recoil.

If you need something bigger again a 7mm Remington magnum.

You wont get me shooting anything smaller than a 30-06 in 180g.....no way.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by VICHunter » 13 Feb 2015, 9:29 am

Because it's not enough to down the Chital, you have to turn them to soup! :lol:

:D
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by jake84 » 17 Apr 2015, 8:44 am

out of what ive got I LOVE MY TIKKA
jake84
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Gregg » 17 Apr 2015, 12:01 pm

Sam45 wrote:With the Deer here in QLD, I may be wrong, I think it's ok with the .243.

NSW and Vic IIRC is a minimum of .270. So much info to digest which is great. I will still grab the .243 and go from there. Once I have that sorted and saved some more $$$ I will step up.

Just triple check regarding the QLD calibre laws if you do go hunting for larger game before the next rifle but other than that it sounds like you're on a good path.

Both Tikka and Leupold are affordable quality options.
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by handofcod » 17 Apr 2015, 2:07 pm

Had two Tikka hunters, both shoot under an inch at 100m. I would have every confidence that your Tikka Hunter will be a shooter too!

243 sounds like a good choice, 260rem would be my choice for a bit more versatility but factory ammo is quite a bit more expensive. A 7mm08 will be legal for Sambar down here in Vic if you ever plan on making the trip.
CZ452 22lr | Remington 5R Milspec in .223 | Tikka Hunter in 300wsm | Ruger Scout in .308
handofcod
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Sam45 » 17 Apr 2015, 7:00 pm

I decided to go with the .308 Tikka Laminate Stainless. Pick it up Tuesday. Ammo ready and range awaiting. Then off to Stanthorpe to a mates place to see if we can find some deer.
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Browning » 17 Apr 2015, 10:40 pm

Good choice on the .308 mate... Can't go wrong.. Next rifle get yourself a tikka 22-250.. Perfect pairing of two different calibres.. 250 for bunnies, foxes and roos. 308 for anything bigger and you can use the magazine from each gun on the other one as a backup...(of course you won't mix em up though lol)
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sam45 » 18 Apr 2015, 6:21 am

Browning wrote:Good choice on the .308 mate... Can't go wrong.. Next rifle get yourself a tikka 22-250.. Perfect pairing of two different calibres.. 250 for bunnies, foxes and roos. 308 for anything bigger and you can use the magazine from each gun on the other one as a backup...(of course you won't mix em up though lol)

Cheers mate, I was talking to my mate last night and he said exactly the same thing. He has a 22-250 and loves it. Looks like i will have to put in another PTA :lol: Yes i thought the .308 would give me the top end for Pigs, goats and the like. I hope i don't mix em up.
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Streamline » 20 Apr 2015, 8:48 am

Sam45 wrote:Cheers mate, I was talking to my mate last night and he said exactly the same thing. He has a 22-250 and loves it. Looks like i will have to put in another PTA :lol: Yes i thought the .308 would give me the top end for Pigs, goats and the like. I hope i don't mix em up.

The guns or the pigs and goats? :lol:

You definitely don't want to chamber and in correct round in any rifle. .308 and 22-250 and cartridges are completely different though, you couldn't mistake one for the other looking at them.

The cartridge name is printed on the rifle as well if you ever really get lost. (not that you would).
Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker 30-06SPR
Sako M591 .243WIN
CZ ZKM 452 .22LR
Streamline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Sam45 » 20 Apr 2015, 7:09 pm

Streamline wrote:
Sam45 wrote:Cheers mate, I was talking to my mate last night and he said exactly the same thing. He has a 22-250 and loves it. Looks like i will have to put in another PTA :lol: Yes i thought the .308 would give me the top end for Pigs, goats and the like. I hope i don't mix em up.

The guns or the pigs and goats? :lol:

You definitely don't want to chamber and in correct round in any rifle. .308 and 22-250 and cartridges are completely different though, you couldn't mistake one for the other looking at them.

The cartridge name is printed on the rifle as well if you ever really get lost. (not that you would).

:lol: 22-250 is one fat round, no mistaking it for a .308. or vice-versa :thumbsup: If i did, i should give it up.
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 20 Apr 2015, 9:22 pm

and if you think a 243 is loud just wait till you let a 250 rip it is a lot sharper
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 21 Apr 2015, 4:23 pm

Sam45 wrote: :lol: 22-250 is one fat round, no mistaking it for a .308. or vice-versa :thumbsup: If i did, i should give it up.

I have to be careful with mine.

I have a .308 backup which was once my primary rifle. Now I use my 7mm and I resized all my .308 brass to .284 for it.

So the base of all my 7mm ammo is stamped .308 Winchester and the different in projectile width is 0.024" so it's not really visible to the eye :crazy:

I'm just glad the Nosler BTs come with colour coded tips :lol:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Sam45 » 21 Apr 2015, 6:27 pm

Lorgar wrote:
Sam45 wrote: :lol: 22-250 is one fat round, no mistaking it for a .308. or vice-versa :thumbsup: If i did, i should give it up.

I have to be careful with mine.

I have a .308 backup which was once my primary rifle. Now I use my 7mm and I resized all my .308 brass to .284 for it.

So the base of all my 7mm ammo is stamped .308 Winchester and the different in projectile width is 0.024" so it's not really visible to the eye :crazy:

I'm just glad the Nosler BTs come with colour coded tips :lol:

:crazy: Darn that would not be good :P

Well here she is! Picked it up today :D

New Tikka.jpg
New Tikka.jpg (125.94 KiB) Viewed 6429 times
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Boatman » 21 Apr 2015, 6:59 pm

She looks real perty like :D
Boatman
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by wade06 » 11 Nov 2016, 11:30 am

My Tikka T3 Lite Stainless 243 should be here later next week. :D

I will be buying factory ammo as I don't shoot a centrefire enough to justify reloading.... will keep the shells just in case.
Obviously the ideal way to get the best factory ammo is to but a box of everything and test it but I wouldn't mind a starting point.

What 243 projectile weight and type do you like best for hunting?
I will be mostly be shooting foxes, wild dogs and smaller deer. Searching the web, a lot of people are getting best results using 75-85gr in the T3.

I will probably start with two types of ammo and stick with the best one if it shoots well enough. Thanks :thumbsup:
Walnut Lithgow La101 .22LR - Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42
Tikka T3 Lite .243W - Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 11 Nov 2016, 1:55 pm

I 1st put PPU ammo through my Tikka 243w Lite to run it in at the range and got Gold Coast Reloads to reload them with 75gr. Speer H.P. for feral dogs - the 95gr were too severe on 'em. Keep these for Fallow deer or try the100gr. The 95gr/100gr should handle goats and pigs with well placed shots.

Good hunting.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by wade06 » 12 Nov 2016, 1:38 pm

Thanks Rogina. I didn't actually realise that companies did reloads. Might give them a try if postage isn't too difficult. $30 per 20 is pretty good.
I'm probably leaning towards something like an 85gr BTSP to cover everything from foxes up to small deer.

Still interested if anyone else has factory 243 ammo that works well.
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 12 Nov 2016, 2:25 pm

No problems and I feel reasonably confident that the 85Gr. will handle foxes OK. :clap: The Speer 75Gr. HPs just about turn 'em inside out.
Cheers
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by wade06 » 12 Nov 2016, 4:22 pm

Ideally I would have a 58gr round for foxes/dogs and a 100gr round for deer/small pigs... will see what happens :D
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles