New rifle in an interesting calibre - 300 Blackout

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

New rifle in an interesting calibre - 300 Blackout

Post by trumpychris » 15 Feb 2015, 7:03 pm

For a while now I've been very interested in tinkering with the 300 Blackout cartridge. Ive got no shortage of .223 brass in the reloading room so Ill be spending some time making cases in the not too distant future.
I subscribe to a big shop in Brisbane's mailing list and a particular rifle caught my attention. A Ruger American Ranch in 300BLK. The price is right (under $600) and shoots sub moa with quality ammo. You only live once and a gun in the safe is better than money in the bank. It will be here at the end of March (if the yank's west coast port strike gets resolved.)

Ill be buying a CBE mould that will drop 195gr hollowpoints for subsonic loads. So this leads me to a question. Do any of you have experience with lightweight (around 110 -130gr) commercial .30cal projectiles? I need to develop a supersonic load and I have zero experience with lightweight bullets. This will end up becoming my go to gun for shooting all types of critters out west, especially goats and pigs.

Cheers
President - Law Abiding Firearm Owners Inc. - lafo.com.au

Guns = Way too many to list
Favourite Rifle = Parker Hale 1861 Enfield Musketoon .577
Favourite Handgun = Ruger SR1911 .45acp
trumpychris
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: New rifle in an interesting calibre

Post by Baldrick314 » 15 Feb 2015, 7:54 pm

Speer 130's go good. I shot some of the Federal factory loads with them I while back. They were accurate and performed well on pigs
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 16 Feb 2015, 7:34 am

But the haters are going to hate what they don't understand :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm:
Enjoy your new rifle
Cheers Westy
Last edited by Westy on 14 Mar 2015, 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Lorgar » 17 Feb 2015, 2:59 pm

trumpychris wrote:Do any of you have experience with lightweight (around 110 -130gr) commercial .30cal projectiles?

Not in .300 AAC but some when firing from a .308.

I'll say for he 110gr that I could never get decent accuracy out of them.

A mate bought a bunch of different pills that weight trying to find a low-recoil hand load for his wife to shoot in his .308 Win.

At 100m we were getting 3" - 4" groups in his Scout and my Hawkeye. That was the best we could do. Also did some loads for a laugh in a .300 Win Mag Tikka. Wouldn't shoot for s**t either.

With 150gr loads things snapped down to 3/4".

Maybe it'll be different in a subsonic load, but trying a couple of different bullets were all too inaccurate in 3 different rifles.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Tiiger » 24 Feb 2015, 8:05 am

trumpychris wrote:Do any of you have experience with lightweight (around 110 -130gr) commercial .30cal projectiles? I need to develop a supersonic load and I have zero experience with lightweight bullets. This will end up becoming my go to gun for shooting all types of critters out west, especially goats and pigs.

Data is available for that from ADI. 110gr pills around 2,100fps. 130gr pills around 2,000fps.

Plenty of bullet choice... Hornady 110gr V-Max, 110gr SP, 125gr SST, 130gr SP... Any brand will have similar offerings.

Sierra, Nosler etc.
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Korkt » 24 Feb 2015, 8:36 am

trumpychris wrote:I need to develop a supersonic load and I have zero experience with lightweight bullets.

It's no different to any heavy projectile load you've worked up.

Don't go straight to max load, watch for signs of any pressure issues, just the usual deal.
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: New rifle in an interesting calibre - 300 Blackout

Post by Jack V » 24 Feb 2015, 10:15 am

The Emperor has no clothes !!
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 24 Feb 2015, 1:11 pm

Some interesting ballistics, looks to be a capable round and being 30cal should be cheap and cheerful to reload for. At least it's another club for the bag to use a golfing expression.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/300_AAC_Blackout_(7.62%C3%9735mm)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Mich » 25 Feb 2015, 10:52 am

Jack V wrote:The Emperor has no clothes !!

Nah they're just invisible :mrgreen:
Mich
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by wrenchman » 25 Feb 2015, 11:28 am

good luck with that strike
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by south » 25 Feb 2015, 2:42 pm

Just asking.. But won't light pills in a little case like the 300 AAC be pretty soft?

I thought the idea was heavy sub-sonics which didn't go super far but still hit hard at modest range.
south
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Westy » 25 Feb 2015, 2:56 pm

Yep no effect at all those 110 Grn's
Attachments
deer 3.jpg
deer 3.jpg (127.48 KiB) Viewed 6098 times
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Westy » 25 Feb 2015, 3:06 pm

Yep no effect at all those 110 Grn's
Attachments
Boar 3.jpg
Boar 3.jpg (50.8 KiB) Viewed 6097 times
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by lole » 25 Feb 2015, 7:39 pm

Westy's sarcasm aside... :P

South, if you look up the ADI load data for the you'll see the light 110gr you can be fired at over double the velocity of heavier projectiles like the 200gr - 220gr.

With so much extra velocity they actually do more damage and the heavier ones.

A lot of the why 300AAC was developed was to be used with a suppressor, and you would use the heavy subsonics here. Using the 110gr at 2,000fps you'd still have the ballistic crack which would defeat the purpose of the suppressor. Not that any of that means anything here in Aus that but's how it came out.

For hunting here without suppression 110gr are fine.
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 25 Feb 2015, 10:01 pm

Just think of it as your 223 firing a 110 grn pill ,no felt recoil @ all and stops most things out to 150m!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Seik » 26 Feb 2015, 2:53 pm

Westy wrote:stops most things out to 150m!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Which is plenty for the a lot of hunters, regardless of what the .300 win mag fan boys say :lol:
Seik
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sender » 02 Mar 2015, 8:28 am

Dunno why some people bitch out the 300 AAC so hard.

Works fine for some. If it doesn't do what you want don't buy one :unknown:
Sender
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by meawls » 03 Mar 2019, 10:38 am

Seems like an old thread ... but time to stoke it up?! Bought one (sorry - got one for my birthday!!) last week in Ruger American Ranch with Bushnell AR scope customised to AAC. Reloads super easily and cheap as chips. First loading attempt using Speer 130gn HP varmints over 5.5 of trailboss yielded 0.64 inch groups at 54 metres (odd distance ... but just happens to be the length of our little range), bugger all recoil, nil tumbling. Velocity a pretty consistent 980 FPS over the Caldwell chrony ... earmuffs optional. In fact every test group from 4.5 - 6 gns of trailboss printed in a similar pattern ... with the whole mishmash fitting into a blob not much bigger than a pingpong ball.

If this ain’t the happiest lil 30 cal for the wife and kids ...

Hoo boy am I gonna have some fun working up some loads for this interesting little cartridge! And at the end of the day ... isn’t this what it’s all aboot!,
meawls
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 03 Mar 2019, 11:38 am

Who in bris is selling them at that price ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 03 Mar 2019, 11:52 am

Blr243 wrote:Who in bris is selling them at that price ?

I just picked up the Ruger American Ranch with illuminated reticle scope for $799.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 03 Mar 2019, 11:54 am

meawls wrote:Seems like an old thread ... but time to stoke it up?! Bought one (sorry - got one for my birthday!!) last week in Ruger American Ranch with Bushnell AR scope customised to AAC. Reloads super easily and cheap as chips. First loading attempt using Speer 130gn HP varmints over 5.5 of trailboss yielded 0.64 inch groups at 54 metres (odd distance ... but just happens to be the length of our little range), bugger all recoil, nil tumbling. Velocity a pretty consistent 980 FPS over the Caldwell chrony ... earmuffs optional. In fact every test group from 4.5 - 6 gns of trailboss printed in a similar pattern ... with the whole mishmash fitting into a blob not much bigger than a pingpong ball.

Hoo boy am I gonna have some fun working up some loads for this interesting little cartridge! And at the end of the day ... isn’t this what it’s all aboot!,

Picked up one myself mate, looking forward to seeing how it goes. I intend on using the Speer 130gn HP too, although I am going to use AR2205. Have you tried 2205 or just the trail boss loads you mentioned mate?
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 03 Mar 2019, 1:14 pm

Thanks Jim. The one I have ordered is a Remington. A bit late really for me to be shopping around when I already have email approval of my pta It’s good to have blokes sharing advice on these things in particular trying to get correct bullet performance in the heavy subsonic range and ensuring we get stable flight
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 04 Mar 2019, 10:07 am

meawls wrote:Seems like an old thread ... but time to stoke it up?! Bought one (sorry - got one for my birthday!!) last week in Ruger American Ranch with Bushnell AR scope customised to AAC. Reloads super easily and cheap as chips. First loading attempt using Speer 130gn HP varmints over 5.5 of trailboss yielded 0.64 inch groups at 54 metres (odd distance ... but just happens to be the length of our little range), bugger all recoil, nil tumbling. Velocity a pretty consistent 980 FPS over the Caldwell chrony ... earmuffs optional. In fact every test group from 4.5 - 6 gns of trailboss printed in a similar pattern ... with the whole mishmash fitting into a blob not much bigger than a pingpong ball.

Nice gotta be happy with that mate! That combo must be almost as cheap as you can get for (jacketed) 30cal plinking?

My el-cheapo (but very accurate) 30cal plinking load is a Berry’s 150gr plated pill over a full case of TB in the 308 bolt gun.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 04 Mar 2019, 10:58 am

If you've got a surplus of . 223 brass; why not neck them up to 25 cal and give that a go for something different or just get a 30/30?
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 04 Mar 2019, 11:35 am

Yep the Speer 130’s have been fairly cheap as of late.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Jeff303 » 04 Mar 2019, 6:09 pm

Try 125gn nosler ballistic tips. Were pure evil on pigs out of my 30-06. Zippered em.
Plenty hard enough. Apparently work well at lower velocities too
Jeff303
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by meawls » 04 Mar 2019, 10:31 pm

in2anity wrote:Nice gotta be happy with that mate! That combo must be almost as cheap as you can get for (jacketed) 30cal plinking?

My el-cheapo (but very accurate) 30cal plinking load is a Berry’s 150gr plated pill over a full case of TB in the 308 bolt gun.

From memory they were $29 per hundred. Just ordered the 500 pack of Speer TNT’s averaging $27 per 100 from memory. Interesting about the Berry’s ... they’re copper plated yes??
meawls
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by meawls » 04 Mar 2019, 10:41 pm

JimTom wrote:Picked up one myself mate, looking forward to seeing how it goes. I intend on using the Speer 130gn HP too, although I am going to use AR2205. Have you tried 2205 or just the trail boss loads you mentioned mate?

I had a supply of 2205 left over from previous escapades but shot the lot off as I never thought I’d need it again ... you know how you get that awful ... “hell I don’t need any more guns” thought!! All I have in the place that suits the AAC is TB ... so TB it’ll be!! I’ll keep you up to date as the load development unfolds. I’ve ordered a 500 pack of the Sierra 125gn TNT’s ... so it’ll be interesting to see how they go. Let’s know how the 2205 pans out hey! :thumbsup:
meawls
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by meawls » 04 Mar 2019, 10:45 pm

Jeff303 wrote:Try 125gn nosler ballistic tips. Were pure evil on pigs out of my 30-06. Zippered em.
Plenty hard enough. Apparently work well at lower velocities too

I've always had a soft spot for Nosler gear … but the sad reality is that they are a few cents shy of 3 times the price of the Speer/Sierra cheapies I've managed to get hold of lately Jeff. Mind you a decent piggin' trip usually = no expense spared on gear …. so ya just never know!! :lol:
meawls
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 05 Mar 2019, 12:03 am

meawls wrote:
JimTom wrote:Picked up one myself mate, looking forward to seeing how it goes. I intend on using the Speer 130gn HP too, although I am going to use AR2205. Have you tried 2205 or just the trail boss loads you mentioned mate?

I had a supply of 2205 left over from previous escapades but shot the lot off as I never thought I’d need it again ... you know how you get that awful ... “hell I don’t need any more guns” thought!! All I have in the place that suits the AAC is TB ... so TB it’ll be!! I’ll keep you up to date as the load development unfolds. I’ve ordered a 500 pack of the Sierra 125gn TNT’s ... so it’ll be interesting to see how they go. Let’s know how the 2205 pans out hey! :thumbsup:

Will do mate. It will be a few weeks until I get the chance but will post results.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles