How much do you get stung on a switch barrel rifle

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

How much do you get stung on a switch barrel rifle

Post by saucy » 18 Feb 2015, 8:10 pm

If you're going to shoot a bunch of calibres I get buying a switch barrel rifle like the Blaser R8 as buying 1 expensive rifle and half a dozen barrels is cheaper than half a dozen whole rifles.

Reading the latest mag though and I see the R8 Pro which is a basic blued/synthetic combo is $4,340 advertised price. That's a tonne of money IMO.

I couldn't help thing that knowing overall with different barrels it can work out cheaper, do they add a grand or two to the rifle?

Not picking on Blaser here, it's just the ad I found.

Maybe just being pessimistic?
Sako L46 222 Remington
Savage 112 300 Winchester Magnum
Winchester 1886 45-70 (Goes here when I win the lottery :( )
saucy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: How much do you get stung on a switch barrel rifle

Post by Rossi » 18 Feb 2015, 11:18 pm

Better off getting a few different CZ rifles IMO.

Get yourself a:
- 452/453/455 in 22LR
- 527 in .223
- 527 Carbine in 7.62 x 39
- 550 in .30-06

Would probably work out cheaper than a Blaser
and you've got a set of 4 good rifles to boot.

Ain't nothin' wrong with the CZs. Probably the best price to quality ratio out there.

Of course this will take up more safe space and four PTAs will mean more paperwork + justifications......but hey, who's afraid of a little paperwork.....right?
Rossi
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 19 Feb 2015, 6:32 am

I'm a big fan of switch barrel rifles, in particular the Desert Tech HTI & SRS. I have .375 Cheytac, .416 Barrett & 50BMG for the HTI with .338 Lap & .308 Win for the SRS (300Win mag on order). The conversion kits run about $2800-$4000 each and come with a barrel, bolt & mag and can be changed over in a minute or 2. The major cost saver in this type of design is with optics as you only need the 1 scope and rings per chassis. If you were to build 3 separate rifles in the larger calibers that are equally accurate compared to the DTA HTI then you wouldn't get much change from $40k yet by using the DTA setup the cost is around $20k which is a massive saving.
The Sako Quad for rim fire shooters is another good example of switch barrel setup especially if you spend a few coins on the Lilja match barrels.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 19 Feb 2015, 6:46 am

Tell me Brett with all that changing of Barrels on them there rim fires do they hold their accuracy??? Also wouldn't the 100m zero say between a .22 and a .17hmr be a lot different??? Sounds a little like a huge pain in the ass to set them up each time :unknown: :unknown: :unknown:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 19 Feb 2015, 7:39 am

Westy wrote:Tell me Brett with all that changing of Barrels on them there rim fires do they hold their accuracy??? Also wouldn't the 100m zero say between a .22 and a .17hmr be a lot different??? Sounds a little like a huge pain in the ass to set them up each time :unknown: :unknown: :unknown:

I don't have the Sako Quad....yet :) On the DTA's I set zero at 200m then note how many clicks elevation / windage on the scope. Swapping calibers I just dial in the differentials from the previous caliber or because I use a Zero Stop scope I dial down to that then back up to the zero for each different caliber. The return to zero is generally .5 moa or less and nothing requiring any sighting in so not too difficult. By the time you unload, make safe, store your rifle, grab the next caliber, load and make ready I'm probably only a matter of seconds behind you after swapping barrels and resetting zero. I can do a barrel swap and re-zero in less then 2 minutes, do it several times and it's very quick.
I have a PTA for a rim fire in my bag but need to save a few more coins, bought a Mk5 Accumark .300 Weatherby Mag yesterday and made the mistake of checking out some pistols which resulted in the purchase of a Glock 17A Gen 4, also ordered a STI Trubor in 38 Super.
Will start a new thread on the Weatherby's when I get back from the bush with decent video and pictures. My first stop before picking up the Weatherby was to the chemist to get some steristrip band aids just to be prepared in the event of a "Weatherby Eyebrow".
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by teedo » 24 Feb 2015, 11:09 am

brett1868 wrote:I don't have the Sako Quad....yet :)

Too busy shooting your other 400 guns? :P :lol:
teedo
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Korkt » 28 Feb 2015, 11:30 am

If you buy just one barrel, a lot :P

If it's worth it or not depends entirely on how many calibres you end up with.

Could either be expensive or save you thousands over all.
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Jack V » 28 Feb 2015, 12:47 pm

Sako quad is a bit of a pain as the barrel has to pull up to come out so a low scope objective is a problem.
You don't have to spend huge money to have a switch barrel as opposed to a Quick detachable barrel . A bolt action can be made into a switch barrel by just telling your smith to not over tighten the new barrel and having the stock forend channel wide enough to allow the barrel to come right out .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Triang » 02 Mar 2015, 1:45 pm

Jack V wrote:Sako quad is a bit of a pain as the barrel has to pull up to come out so a low scope objective is a problem.

Always thought that was a mistake on the Sako Quad.
Howa Axiom .308 --- Nikko Stirling Nighteater 3-10x42
Ruger 77/357
Marlin 25N .22 --- Weaver Kaspa 3-9x40
Triang
Private
Private

Northern Territory

Post by Jack V » 02 Mar 2015, 3:40 pm

Yes mate a big mistake .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 02 Mar 2015, 7:32 pm

Before I got my Annie and was shopping for a .22lr I had in my mind the Sako Quad to get in .22lr for the range and .17hmr for hunting.

Scope removal was what killed it.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 02 Mar 2015, 10:03 pm

Lorgar wrote:Before I got my Annie and was shopping for a .22lr I had in my mind the Sako Quad to get in .22lr for the range and .17hmr for hunting.

Scope removal was what killed it.

That's the key point with most switch barrels,

say you're going pig hunting and decide you want to shoot the .308 barrel, you set it up, zero it. go out shoot some stuff with it. then you put it back in the safe.

a week later you are going to a mates place to clean up some foxes and want to shoot the .243 barrel, guess what you have to go to the range and zero it, or at least check it then you can go shoot stuff again,

it happens again and again and you never seem to have the right set up ready to go when you want to use it

now if you can afford a genuine switch barrel/multiple scope set up you won't have any of these issues but try and do it half a**ed and it'll be no end of frustration.

I have one action with three barrels, two scopes and two stocks. I have another action with two barrels, one stock and one scope but still can't ever seem to have the gun i want when i want it.

I also have a .308, one barrel, one scope, one stock. open the safe, grab the gun, grab a box of ammo and go shoot and i know exactly where it will hit first shot

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by banoob » 03 Mar 2015, 10:05 am

Chronos wrote:I also have a .308, one barrel, one scope, one stock. open the safe, grab the gun, grab a box of ammo and go shoot and i know exactly where it will hit first shot

Keep It Simple Stupid :D
Ruger Magnum Hunter 300 Win Mag
Meopta 6-18x50
banoob
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles