Varminter

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Varminter

Post by Ding89 » 02 Mar 2015, 7:22 pm

Hi all,

The attached ad has prompted me to think more seriously about a small bore centre fire. I'm looking for one rifle to take game that a 270 would be significant overkill for like bunnies and foxes. It'll also get a fair bit of use at the range.

I'm thinking a 22-250, 220 swift, or 204 ruger but have zero experience with all of them. I understand they're not the most economical but I'm keen enough for the speed for it to be worth it.

Can you also let me know what you think of the rifles chambered for cartridges?

As for the deal in the ad I don't know much about howa or Tasco. They both seem good budget options, what do you think? Thanks in advance.

Screenshot_2015-02-09-14-25-25.jpg
Screenshot_2015-02-09-14-25-25.jpg (32.16 KiB) Viewed 4282 times
Model 70 270Win VX3 4.5-14x40
Model 70 375H&H
Rem 7600 police 308Win
Beretta 687 silver pigeon V 12ga
Ding89
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Varminter

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Mar 2015, 8:50 pm

G'day Ding,

I run a few Howa's myself, I usually buy the Barreled actions and import Boyds stocks for them. They are a good solid rifle (not light) and for me that's not an issue as I usually spotlight or park and whistle foxes or shoot bunnies over warrens etc. I can't comment on the latest round of Tascos but the old Jap stuff worked well and was reliable.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Ding89 » 03 Mar 2015, 7:23 am

Thanks Scott, I'm not. Once red about the weight either. How is accuracy out of the box? Other than accessories, have you needed to do anything specific to them? I have read a lot of folks getting trigger jobs.
Model 70 375H&H
Rem 7600 police 308Win
Ding89
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 03 Mar 2015, 7:44 am

The triggers are usable out of the box, I like mine light so this requires a bit of work (springs, polish etc) so I send them off to the Ebay Trigger Guy - they are lovely once Glen does his magic to them.

Mine are all standard other than the trigger work, I also open up the barrel channels slightly to ensure they are free floating (boyds stocks) accuracy has been fine out of the box so to speak but I reload so can get them to shoot a lot better (which is generally the case with any factory rifle).

When I first got the 204 Howa I was using factory ammo (rem 32gn and Fed 32gn) and both shot very well indeed and I was able to head shoot bunnies out to 250m off the side of a hill (standard factory trigger at that stage) so accuracy was fine for me. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by BBJ » 03 Mar 2015, 10:33 am

Ding89 wrote:I'm looking for one rifle to take game that a 270 would be significant overkill for like bunnies and foxes. It'll also get a fair bit of use at the range.

I'm thinking a 22-250, 220 swift, or 204 ruger but have zero experience with all of them. I understand they're not the most economical but I'm keen enough for the speed for it to be worth it.

Do you want pelts from the foxes or rabbits for meat?

22-250 Rem and 220 swift are still going to over kill for either if you want to recover anything from them. They're .22's yes, but as an example both the 22-250 and 220 will launch a 50gr bullet just shy of 4,000fps.... Enough to turn a rabbit into a fine paste.

Same for pelts, damage would likely be unacceptable if you want to do anything with them.

Since you mentioned 'overkill' I'd lean towards the .204
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by Chickenhawk » 03 Mar 2015, 10:34 am

BBJ has mostly covered it.

If you just want them gone, any will do. The bigger cartridges will just do it with more spectacular result :lol:

.204 if you want to bring home some dinner.
Chickenhawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 03 Mar 2015, 11:18 am

BBJ wrote:Do you want pelts from the foxes or rabbits for meat?

22-250 Rem and 220 swift are still going to over kill for either if you want to recover anything from them. They're .22's yes, but as an example both the 22-250 and 220 will launch a 50gr bullet just shy of 4,000fps.... Enough to turn a rabbit into a fine paste.

Same for pelts, damage would likely be unacceptable if you want to do anything with them.

Since you mentioned 'overkill' I'd lean towards the .204

Sadly the 204 tends to put big holes in skins too :lol: You can muck around with loads and projectiles to find one that will minimise pelt damage or you could just go a 17Rem - you might get lucky and find a decent one on a shelf 2nd hand but more than likely would end up being a custom job which I guess defeats the purpose of buying a cheap varminter but I guess its an option available, just depends on the $$$ and whether its worth it or not.

Skins aren't worth much these days sadly, you might get $15 to $20 for a real good one.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 03 Mar 2015, 12:52 pm

223 not a option at all??????
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Ding89 » 03 Mar 2015, 2:14 pm

Absolutely nothing wrong with 222 or 223, I'm just fascinated with these high velocity cartridges.

Not concerned about pelts but I take everyone's points though.

I know tikka v howa has more or less been done to death but are there any differences of note in these particular calibres? What do folks use for scopes on their varmint rifles? I'm don't want to break the bank but don't see the point of a rifle j can't hit anything with.
Model 70 375H&H
Rem 7600 police 308Win
Ding89
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 03 Mar 2015, 3:03 pm

The 220 swift will probably be harder to find ammo for (always exceptions to that) performance wise between them all, the 220 should be a better killer out further I guess, the 22.250 kills well at long ranges too, the 204 is probably slightly flatter shooting and still kills well.

The last lot of 204 factory ammo I bought cost around $40 for a box of 20 so not the cheapest to run, the 22.250 was around $18 for a box of 20 not sure what a box of 220's cost but no doubt expensive.

On my 222 Howa I have a 12x fixed Leupold M8, the 22.250 Howa wears a 6.5-20x50 Zeiss Conquest and the 204 has a 3-9x50 Nikon Prostaff - they all work and have been used for daylight and night time shooting short and long distances - for the price the little Nikon is a good buy - I like 50mm objectives personally and all new scope purchases will have a 50mm min.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 03 Mar 2015, 5:21 pm

Tikka Vs Howa it's been done to death all right but last Saturday night @ around 12 0clock it happened again ???? I shoot Tikka and the mate shoots howa and we were working a cull permit on a mates farm under light of course he's top feeding his howa and I'm magazine feeding the tikka as normal both using 223's when Arnold Ziffald runs along the fence and into the light he panics and jams his gun I quickly change magazines from 55 grn serrias to the other mag with 70Grn Speers in a wink of a eye and Arnold is no more 1/2 way through the fence!!!The driver (the owner ) asks Neil what the hell happened he said I bought a Howa!!!!!!! :lol: :o :lol:

Bring it!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :sarcasm:

He is going to give the howa to his son josh and is now buying a 1-8 Tikka this week true story :thumbsup: :mrgreen: :thumbsup:

Howa are a awesome rifle but IMHO Tikka's have the edge but you pay for it!!!!! :friends: :friends: :friends:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Ding89 » 03 Mar 2015, 6:23 pm

Haha, great story. Having said that, the deal above includes a conversion kit. Do I still have to load through the top of the gun or is the magazine removable?
Model 70 375H&H
Rem 7600 police 308Win
Ding89
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by zook60 » 03 Mar 2015, 6:50 pm

Ding89 wrote:Haha, great story. Having said that, the deal above includes a conversion kit. Do I still have to load through the top of the gun or is the magazine removable?

That Howa kit is removable magazine that is not top loadable just like the tikka. Your better off with a rifle that you can top load when spotlighting in my opinion. Just buy a standard Howa varmint and get a better quality scope.
zook60
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by yoshie » 03 Mar 2015, 7:03 pm

A heavy barreled 223 Howa with a few inches cut off the barrel in a plain Jane plastic stock and one of those plastic mag extenders that takes you up to 9 rounds is perfect for spot lightin'. You should be head shooting everything so no need for bullets over 40gr
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by 1290 » 03 Mar 2015, 7:27 pm

Westy wrote:Tikka Vs Howa it's been done to death all right but last Saturday night @ around 12 0clock it happened again ???? I shoot Tikka and the mate shoots howa and we were working a cull permit on a mates farm under light of course he's top feeding his howa and I'm magazine feeding the tikka as normal both using 223's when Arnold Ziffald runs along the fence and into the light he panics and jams his gun I quickly change magazines from 55 grn serrias to the other mag with 70Grn Speers in a wink of a eye and Arnold is no more 1/2 way through the fence!!!The driver (the owner ) asks Neil what the hell happened he said I bought a Howa!!!!!!! :lol: :o :lol:

Bring it!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :sarcasm:

He is going to give the howa to his son josh and is now buying a 1-8 Tikka this week true story :thumbsup: :mrgreen: :thumbsup:

Howa are a awesome rifle but IMHO Tikka's have the edge but you pay for it!!!!! :friends: :friends: :friends:

Westy, as always, good for a yarn :thumbsup:

As far as your mate buying a Tikki this week, I call Bulldung!! you're NOT in victoria, in case you didnt know :lol: :lol: what you meant was; he's contemplating a purchase this week, WILL purchase in a month or 2 when his PTA comes through

I know, you're moving to the 'promised land'.....thats ok.

but as far as varmintin' goes, there's no rule that says you need a 22 cal.... you can use us 24,25,26,even a 30, what you DO need is a relatively FLAT shooting cartridge.... 25-06 seem good for purpose! And vrminters need a savage!! :drinks:
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Westy » 03 Mar 2015, 8:13 pm

Here they all are, everyone who fell into the Howa Trap^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :lol: :D :o
Here in QLD 7 DAY turn around on PTA's bet it'll be here next week money went down today
Never wanted or will be a VICHEAD!!!!
Only thing worse would be coming from GELONG!!!!!! :silent: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 03 Mar 2015, 8:46 pm

I'm bitterly disappointed in my Howa's - bloody things keep killing s**t! and I don't have to worry about loosing my mag at a servo like some Plastikka owners have :lol: :sarcasm: :drinks: still piss myself laughing about that one Westy. :D :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by headspace » 03 Mar 2015, 8:54 pm

Sometimes it sounds like going hunting with Westy is a cross between Mardi Gras and some other life changing experience. I looked at the Tikka's but bought a HOWA!
I like to have a top feed and a floorplate, not that funny little letter box slot on the top of a Tickler. When's the next trip W?
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 03 Mar 2015, 9:33 pm

headspace wrote:Sometimes it sounds like going hunting with Westy is a cross between Mardi Gras and some other life changing experience. I looked at the Tikka's but bought a HOWA!
I like to have a top feed and a floorplate, not that funny little letter box slot on the top of a Tickler. When's the next trip W?
JD

I would have said most of the people he hunts with are idiots going by the s**t them seem to get em selves into :lol: this latest one couldn't even drop a round in and shoot what ever the hell it was they were shooting at :unknown: last fella nearly got himself shot because he couldn't use a rifle with a floor plate apparently :unknown: you might want to look elsewhere for shooting buddies Westy - ya scraping the bottom of the barrel by the sounds of it. :lol: :sarcasm:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by PaWNTANK » 03 Mar 2015, 9:40 pm

I usually use my 1887 loaded with slugs for hunting small game like rabbits and foxes. It turns them into giblets which I then soak in bleach and sell onto fast food chains who deep fry them and market them as chicken nuggets.
But seriously, the Howa is fine, Although I would be dubious about the Tasco scope, I've not heard too many good things about recent models.
Marlin XT-22 Varmint
Howa 1500 Varmint .308 WIN
Remington 700 TAC 21 30-06 SPRG
Boito Reuna 12G
Gamo Cadet .177
PaWNTANK
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Westy » 04 Mar 2015, 7:01 am

I love you Big fella
Last edited by Westy on 04 Mar 2015, 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Mar 2015, 7:05 am

Sadly Westy I will have to decline mate, I don't hunt with idiots, give one of your mates the gig, they do. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 04 Mar 2015, 7:14 am

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'm still feeling the love Baby :evil: :o :twisted:
Last edited by Westy on 04 Mar 2015, 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Mar 2015, 8:59 am

Westy wrote:^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Is that all you got??? Well Good luck Bucko

You love it! :D have a good one mate. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by becks » 04 Mar 2015, 1:11 pm

Are you two seriously at each other or making jabs as mates?

It's hard to tell....
Howa Ranchland 7mm
Remington 7600 pump-action .243
Martin XT-22
becks
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Mar 2015, 1:40 pm

I can't speak for westy but I'm certainly laughing my arse off when I post replies to him - he's great fun as he reacts like a feral, which is very entertaining to me :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks:

Cheer up Westy - lifes to short mate to be pissed off with everyone all day every day, have a happy pill and live life happy. :D :drinks:

P.S. We better stop, this aint our thread.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Return to Centerfire rifles