The TIKKA Thread ~ Pre T3 for something different

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: EDIT: Almost Bought- Tikka M55 in 17rem

Post by effex » 07 Mar 2015, 1:23 pm

COLLECTOR 1 wrote:If I was having my time over again id still own them, great rifles and defiantly solidly made, unlike todays Tikka's

The plastic you're referring too?
effex
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Bought her

Post by KWhorenet » 07 Mar 2015, 7:27 pm

Well I met her today,

Once she was out of the dudes boot and the bag he carried her in;

first impression of the rich dark deep complexion from top to toe gave an instant warm n fuzzy, leered her up n down, fondled and checked out all her nooks and crannies along with her ample bonus goodies.

Was able to have a close inspection of deep inside before swiftly handed over the dowry.

* Original tube but surprisingly clean with more life left in it than I had got my hopes up for. Nothing has barely any wear really.
Will oil her up and clean her down tonight before giving her a solid work out. Will post some 'live action' picks tomorrow most likely.

For a cheap used hot 35ishhh year old from near Geelong she will serve me fine !! (Reminds me of my teens-twenties actually)
8-)
Last edited by KWhorenet on 07 Mar 2015, 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Re: EDIT: Paid for a cheap hot 35ish year old today named M5

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Mar 2015, 7:41 pm

Noice - I look forward to seeing how she goes mate, should be good I'd say. Don't forget the pics!!! :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Re: Bought her

Post by jordy » 08 Mar 2015, 10:24 am

KWhorenet wrote:Well I met her today

Was she as pretty as in her photo :lol:
jordy
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by chacka » 08 Mar 2015, 10:25 am

Pics :thumbsup:
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Mar 2015, 7:10 pm

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by KWhorenet » 08 Mar 2015, 7:14 pm

haha

here you go. haven't done any of my own but the wood work looks nicer in person than this pic. Stripping it down to clean it thoroughly. Will try and get use of a better camera too.
Attachments
Tikka M55 17 rem.jpg
Tikka M55 17 rem.jpg (33.92 KiB) Viewed 9425 times
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Mar 2015, 7:16 pm

Looks alright mate, it should come up nicely with a bit of a tidy up.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Chronos » 08 Mar 2015, 7:32 pm

Looks fantastic for the age mate, well done

I've just finished a rebarrel and a tidy up of an LSA55, even older but mine was an old workhorse, a full strip included some work to recut the checkering then pillar bedding and some danish oil. the bloody trigger is amazing. I gave it all a spray and closed the bolt then wound the adjustment screw all the the trigger broke. Wound it back in half a turn and it's a beautifully crisp 1 1/2lbs.

She was a mess but looks nice now, i'll see how it shoots before i commit to cerrakoting

Chronos

Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Mar 2015, 7:45 pm

She came up very nicely Steve, well done mate.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Chronos » 08 Mar 2015, 7:48 pm

bigfellascott wrote:She came up very nicely Steve, well done mate.

Thanks mate, i'll do a proper post when i get a butt pad fitted and finish the buff horn grip cap. Despite telling everyone in the wildcat thread here that there are no wildcats left i ended up doing one :crazy:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Mar 2015, 7:59 pm

Chronos wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:She came up very nicely Steve, well done mate.

Thanks mate, i'll do a proper post when i get a butt pad fitted and finish the buff horn grip cap. Despite telling everyone in the wildcat thread here that there are no wildcats left i ended up doing one :crazy:

Chronos

Yes it will look a lot nicer with a good butt pad on it, did you do the recutting of the Checkering yourself? the buff horn grip cap sounds like a nice touch too. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Pics from phone before clean

Post by KWhorenet » 08 Mar 2015, 9:38 pm

Nice one Chronos.

Is it time for a STICKY TIKKA thread for pre Sako/Beretta Tikka's only? :drinks:
Attachments
Tikka M55 small rust on barrel and mount area.jpg
Tikka M55 small rust on barrel and mount area.jpg (37.08 KiB) Viewed 9804 times
Tikka M55 left side view.jpg
Tikka M55 left side view.jpg (49.45 KiB) Viewed 9804 times
Tikka M55 butt.jpg
Tikka M55 butt.jpg (42.54 KiB) Viewed 9804 times
Tikka M55 bottom.jpg
Tikka M55 bottom.jpg (51.04 KiB) Viewed 9804 times
Tikka M55 barrel stamp.jpg
Tikka M55 barrel stamp.jpg (67.01 KiB) Viewed 9804 times
Tikka M55 action stamp.jpg
Tikka M55 action stamp.jpg (53.79 KiB) Viewed 9804 times
Tikka M55 package deal.jpg
Tikka M55 package deal.jpg (47.77 KiB) Viewed 9804 times
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by KWhorenet » 08 Mar 2015, 9:50 pm

Will see if I can get used to the old Redfield that's on it. If not it will be swapped out for a Zeiss HD5 3-15x42

I had a play with the Redfield and if I adjust the focus the objective bell has wobble in it which moves the reticle around until the locking ring is retightened. Don't like that much but once set and sighted in I wont be moving it I guess. Not for 22lr or 22 hornet ranges anyway.

Hey Chronos you don't have any spare UK SportsMatch Tikka mounts do you :lol:
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by KWhorenet » 08 Mar 2015, 10:23 pm

jordy wrote:
KWhorenet wrote:Well I met her today

Was she as pretty as in her photo :lol:

I'd say so yeah. Has a few little blemishes but I didn't want a safe queen anyway.

A good wash, bit of make up, some fresh lube and she will be good to go. Will mostly take her out at night anyway :lol:
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Re: STICKY TIKKA Thread ~ Pre T3 for something differe

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Mar 2015, 10:40 pm

That doesn't look to bloody shabby at all mate, I wouldn't worry too much about the rust etc, a good clean up and oil and it shouldn't present any real issues at all then, the stock looks in pretty good condition too going by the pics I can see, metalwork looks like its still in good nic too. I'd give the scope a run and see how it goes and if need be swap it out but its on there might as well give it a crack and see if its worth keeping or not hey. :thumbsup:

I look forward to hearing how she shoots next.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Chronos » 09 Mar 2015, 8:18 am

KWhorenet wrote:Will see if I can get used to the old Redfield that's on it. If not it will be swapped out for a Zeiss HD5 3-15x42

I had a play with the Redfield and if I adjust the focus the objective bell has wobble in it which moves the reticle around until the locking ring is retightened. Don't like that much but once set and sighted in I wont be moving it I guess. Not for 22lr or 22 hornet ranges anyway.

Hey Chronos you don't have any spare UK SportsMatch Tikka mounts do you :lol:

Yes mate, unopened.....how badly do you want them ;)

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Swarm » 09 Mar 2015, 11:18 am

KWhorenet wrote:Well I met her today,

Once she was out of the dudes boot and the bag he carried her in;

Awwww you didn't get to carry her over the threshold? :lol:
Sako 75 Hunter IV 6.5x55 SE with Leupold VX-3L 4.5-14x50mm
CZ 455 .22LR with Leupold VX-R 3-9x40mm CDS
Winchester 88 .284 Winchester
Swarm
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by KWhorenet » 09 Mar 2015, 11:43 am

Chronos wrote:
KWhorenet wrote:Hey Chronos you don't have any spare UK SportsMatch Tikka mounts do you :lol:

Yes mate, unopened.....how badly do you want them ;)
Chronos

haha just jokes (at this stage) as the reason I sold them was due to not having a Tikka :oops:
But time will tell once I start mucking about swapping scopes around here.

Swarm wrote:Awwww you didn't get to carry her over the threshold? :lol:

I had to wiki the 'Threshold' . Thought you meant breaking her in haha
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Re: The TIKKA Thread ~ Pre T3 for something different

Post by Jorge in Oz » 09 Mar 2015, 12:08 pm

Try Gold Coast Shooters I think they had olf Tikka steel mags for arounf the $90 mark. Here is their link. http://www.gcshooters.com.au/magazines.htm

I use to hunt reds in Qld with a Tikka LSA 65 in 270 Win. Best rifle I have owned, kicking myself for getting rid of it. It was so accurate.
“The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!”

22LR, 243W, 303-25, 6.5x55, 303-270, 8x57, 12G
Jorge in Oz
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by KWhorenet » 09 Mar 2015, 12:43 pm

Jorge in Oz wrote:Try Gold Coast Shooters I think they had olf Tikka steel mags for arounf the $90 mark. Here is their link. http://www.gcshooters.com.au/magazines.htm

I use to hunt reds in Qld with a Tikka LSA 65 in 270 Win. Best rifle I have owned, kicking myself for getting rid of it. It was so accurate.

Thanks for link and feedback on the LSA-65 / M65 I have my eyes open for one too.

That is a good price on the 22-250/243/308 metal mag btw. Anyone wanting one should snap that up.
:thumbsup:
They have at least 1 in stock. But none for 17rem/223/204
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Westy » 09 Mar 2015, 5:55 pm

I got one in 22-250 great rifle will post some pics later tonight, must of had it for over 20 plus years Tikka and Sako fan boy here!!!Always were and will be a quality act
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by heeple » 09 Mar 2015, 6:04 pm

Westy wrote:I got one in 22-250 great rifle will post some pics later tonight, must of had it for over 20 plus years Tikka and Sako fan boy here!!!Always were and will be a quality act

Just for kicks. What's your pick on new vs old Westy?

Much improved in 20 years?
Remingtion 700 XCR in 7mm-08
Winchester 94 in 30-30
Ruger 77/22 in 22LR
heeple
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Westy » 09 Mar 2015, 6:48 pm

heeple wrote:
Westy wrote:I got one in 22-250 great rifle will post some pics later tonight, must of had it for over 20 plus years Tikka and Sako fan boy here!!!Always were and will be a quality act

Just for kicks. What's your pick on new vs old Westy?

Much improved in 20 years?

Old was a nice rifle with all steel mag and all steel trigger guard the action isn't as smooth as the new t3's and it doesn't shoot as well as the new T3's IMHO... the trigger is crisp and I do like the wood finish on this rifle but it is a little on the heavy side!!!!!
It's like a good friend and I wouldn't sell it anytime soon but in saying that the over all package is a 1970's rifle and the new T3's in say a forester with the wood stock and roll over check piece are a better rifle IMHO.. People here hang s**t on them being plastic but mostly their talking Crap as they have know idea what their talking about!!! I have 6 Tikkas in the safe 5 T3s and the old 22-250 and to date haven't had to change the bolt shroud except by choice on any of the new ones and the Magazines have preformed perfect after 100's and even 1000's of rounds on one!!!!!
If you want a old style Tikka in a new rifle my suggestion is buy a Sako but IMHO their a lot of coin for something that still shoot no better than a $1000 Tikka
So in short I like the new T3 better but I'm not a Romantic @ heart :o :shock: 8-)
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by heeple » 10 Mar 2015, 9:48 am

Westy wrote:Old was a nice rifle with all steel mag and all steel trigger guard the action isn't as smooth as the new t3's and it doesn't shoot as well as the new T3's IMHO... the trigger is crisp and I do like the wood finish on this rifle but it is a little on the heavy side!!!!!

" a little on the heavy side!!!!!"

People knock the Tikka for the plastic but you can't say it doesn't help the weight :thumbsup:
Remingtion 700 XCR in 7mm-08
Winchester 94 in 30-30
Ruger 77/22 in 22LR
heeple
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Got new brass yeh!!!

Post by KWhorenet » 11 Mar 2015, 3:39 pm

The Tikka M55 17 Rem is booked in to get re-crowned (+ maybe remove worn rifling). Quoted $50 so wont be haggling or doing it myself.

Anyone want to buy a kidney?
Spendy couple of days, but I wont be needing brass, powder, primers, pills or cleaning gear for a while. Lucky I don't have kids I guess 8-)
Sticking with Benchmark 8208 for 17Rem (20 Prac when the barrel dies) and 30-30win. With LilGun for 22Hornet, I'm trying to stick to 2 powders that shouldn't disappear in a hurry fingers x'd

The book 'Centrefire Rifle Accuracy' by W. Hambly-Clark JNR. Got the last available copy of his last print run. Got speaking with him about a rifle I was looking at that had been re barrelled by him. Should be a good read from all accounts. I might even learn something too :)
Attachments
Sepndy day at the LGS thanks 17 Rem.jpg
Sepndy day at the LGS thanks 17 Rem.jpg (31.96 KiB) Viewed 8876 times
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Re: Got new brass yeh!!!

Post by melanie » 12 Mar 2015, 11:05 am

KWhorenet wrote:Lucky I don't have kids I guess 8-)

Thought you had a furbaby, wasn't there a big pooch in your avatar photo before?
melanie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by KWhorenet » 12 Mar 2015, 12:29 pm

melanie wrote:Thought you had a furbaby, wasn't there a big pooch in your avatar photo before?

You are right. I have one dependant needy child. Actually to be honest he has cost me as much as a few kids might lately with vet bills :x

But he wuvs me haha
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Octane » 12 Mar 2015, 2:49 pm

KWhorenet wrote:Actually to be honest he has cost me as much as a few kids might lately with vet bills :x

Breed related problems or just normal injury/sickness stuff?
Octane
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 12 Mar 2015, 2:51 pm

KWhorenet wrote:But he wuvs me haha

My girls likes giving hugs. With a 50m run up. And no brakes. :lol:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria