The TIKKA Thread ~ Pre T3 for something different

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: The TIKKA Thread ~ Pre T3 for something different

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Mar 2015, 10:00 pm

KWhorenet wrote:True, and next time I'm not using the ute tray as my bench either haha sat a cup of coffee on it today and a bit of wind was enough to buffer it around allot :| Another thing to cross off...oh yeah that's another 'ME' as the fault :lol:

:lol: :lol: might need to make ya self some sandbags, they seem to work alright for my needs. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Re: Got new brass yeh!!!

Post by Lorgar » 13 Mar 2015, 8:56 am

KWhorenet wrote:Mines now 7 so slowly grown out of that although he will get excited and jump tackle still. I did do a few face plants back in his younger years with his full run up and knee tackles especially when carrying firewood, bloody d**khead he was :D

My girl is only 2 still a few years of over-excitement in her. No drama with her health yet thankfully, she a cross so I tell my self that will keep her healthy. We'll see what the next few years bring I guess.

My most dramatic spill so far has been taking her for a run while riding the push-bike. She's fine doing it, runs along side at the same pace and I can tell her to heel/back for right/left corners and we get around fine.

Then there was the rabbit :lol:

We were going along a mottled concrete path just after sunrise so it was still pretty dim. Neither of us saw it until about 2 metres away as it blended in to the concrete well in the low light.

She was running on the left of the bike, rabbit realises we're coming at him and runs off the to the right. As soon as the movement alerts her to the rabbit she goes into high gear and overtakes me across the front of the bike and I hit the brakes as the leash goes into the forks/wheel.

*Weeeeeeeee* *crash* into a Telstra box :lol:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Lands seem to have grown taller with sharper edges :D

Post by KWhorenet » 13 Mar 2015, 3:57 pm

Well cleaning this Tikka barrel has had it's downs and ups :huh:

Lands seem to have grown taller with sharper edges haha more like the Grooves were filled !!

Last night:
Just did an oiled patch then dry for a look. Looked ok. Rifling not greatly pronounced but reasonable.

Scrubbed with Sweets 7.62 and CLP Break Free repeatedly.

Sweets 7.62, 5 times. Copper galore.
CLP scrub and soak. Dark crud flaking away around the throat (best I can describe without pictures... yeah yeah I know).
CPL scrub + heavy coat again to sit over night.

Today:
More black crud came away. Thinking it is baked on carbon/crap like glass. :thumbsdown:
Scrubbed with Sweets twice again. Using a plastic loop, more copper :lol:

Rinsed and patched dry
CLP scrub and it's soaking again. This is becoming a work in progress.

Found something odd with the mounts. One had two pointed grub screws, the other used longer flatter tipped grub screws? Either two were replaced or they are meant have one of each fitted, not paired like they were.
One mount also has a bent tensioner stud. Just straightening it gently.
Bent mount stud and odd grub screws.jpg
Bent mount stud and odd grub screws.jpg (28.54 KiB) Viewed 8050 times

Beer O'clock :drinks:
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Westy » 13 Mar 2015, 7:13 pm

That thing is going to a sweet shooter by the time your finished with her!!!! Good luck and can't wait to see the final product KW
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by RDobber » 14 Mar 2015, 9:38 am

No effort spared on checking it out :thumbsup:
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by KWhorenet » 14 Mar 2015, 11:03 am

I've never stripped and played this deep on any of my previous toys. It needed some TLC. Glad I persisted with the barrel. It looks like a different beast now with deep grooves and clear defined lands all of a sudden. Well two days on n off deep cleaning :shock:

Fixed the bent stud no worries. Still not sure about these grub screws. Not something google is good at helping me with :O
Two pointed and two flat (look like an after thought or lost replacements).
They are meant to push in against an angled post knob to lock the rings down to the bases and they can be adjusted for 'windage' / alignment. I'm thinking a laser bore sighter would help with aligning all this up with the scope dials both set to neutral.

If anyone has this type set up or seen it any advice on the grub screws in the above pic would be appreciated.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

5 days of cleaning/soaking twice daily...still removing cr

Post by KWhorenet » 16 Mar 2015, 4:50 pm

Any one ever bought old 2nd hand and bothered trying to clean the bore till it was spotless?

My daily routine: Patch out CLP till dry, Sweets 7.62 + clean. CLP + Nylon brush and sit 6 hours. Nylon brush, reapply CLP to soak rest of day. Patch out more crud from the grooves as seen by pattern on patch. CLP soak over night.

I can tell there is a huge difference from day 1 - 2 - 3 till today. The grooves are deeper beyond recognition. I have an endoscope/ bore-scope in the mail so will finally get to have a good look inside chamber and bore next week.

I may not be improving it or really achieving much but it is interesting to see what I initially thought was clean day 1 and how much gunk I have removed each day thereafter.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

TIKKA M65A lusting

Post by KWhorenet » 16 Mar 2015, 5:04 pm

On another note; I shouldn't even entertain the idea but I would like to acquire one of these from the UK...
Attachments
I want Tikka M65A 7.62 308.jpg
I want Tikka M65A 7.62 308.jpg (73.31 KiB) Viewed 6394 times
Tikka M65A 308.png
Tikka M65A 308.png (60.83 KiB) Viewed 6394 times
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Rocker » 18 Mar 2015, 11:01 am

Pointed for one mount, flat for the other?

Some subtle distance in front and back or something maybe?
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Re: TIKKA M65A lusting

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Mar 2015, 11:22 am

KWhorenet wrote:On another note; I shouldn't even entertain the idea but I would like to acquire one of these from the UK...

Interesting looking rifle mate, what sort of $$ are they going for?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by KWhorenet » 18 Mar 2015, 11:38 am

Rocker wrote:Pointed for one mount, flat for the other?

Some subtle distance in front and back or something maybe?

I think you nailed it from what I read. Pointed for the front and flat for the back. Allowed the front to have slack done up (no tension yet) and centered allowing movement while adjusting the rear alignment horizontally. Seems to be working.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Re: TIKKA M65A lusting

Post by KWhorenet » 18 Mar 2015, 11:56 am

bigfellascott wrote:
KWhorenet wrote:On another note; I shouldn't even entertain the idea but I would like to acquire one of these from the UK...

Interesting looking rifle mate, what sort of $$ are they going for?

Issued to UK Police as a potential urban sniper rifle (bit like the Tikka 22-250 here in Aus was)
Only 700 made ?. 100 destroyed? by police leaving hens teeth left.
The stock being adjustable for heigt is ok, BUT not sure how much it adjusts for length. Limit of 120 mm apparently...
http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resou ... ations.pdf
"New definitions have been added to Regulation 4F:
i. adjustable stock means a stock that may be adjusted by more than 120mm
Practical effect—stocks that were previously controlled as telescopic or collapsible stocks under the Regulations may no longer be controlled under Regulations, where the length of adjustment is less than 120mm.
PLEASE CORRECT ME IF THIS IS WRONG

Have seen bare rifle go from 800 - 1000 UK pounds. Getting one that hasn't been mismatched (wood, receiver, serial numbers) will be a test in it self.
Have feelers out in the UK now. One guy I'm in contact with who recently got one may be onto a couple more to sus out soon.

Mum keeps asking what I want for xmas/b'day and I always say no thanks... maybe this year ;)
Last edited by KWhorenet on 20 Mar 2015, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Mar 2015, 12:25 pm

Sounds interesting mate, I hope you find one. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Rocker » 20 Mar 2015, 12:18 pm

KWhorenet wrote:I think you nailed it from what I read. Pointed for the front and flat for the back. Allowed the front to have slack done up (no tension yet) and centered allowing movement while adjusting the rear alignment horizontally. Seems to be working.

Cool :)

Thought that sounded more likely than one on each end.
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

50 Shades of Grain...after Linseed Oiling

Post by KWhorenet » 21 Mar 2015, 6:12 pm

Should have started this a week ago but got the Dutch courage up to take to it with Super Fine steel wool and a Boiled Linseed Oil + Thinners 50/50 mixture. Once I started with the steel wool I thought WTF am doing :shock: but one coat and no more worries :thumbsup:

Tikka M55 17 rem.jpg
Before Steel Wool and Linseed Oiling
Tikka M55 17 rem.jpg (33.92 KiB) Viewed 5840 times

Tikka M55 17 rem Steel Wool and Linseed Oiling 1.jpg
Tikka M55 17 rem Steel Wool and Linseed Oiling 1.jpg (50.27 KiB) Viewed 5840 times

Different stages of drying. Different light angles and some colours really pop. A full chemical strip may have revealed more.

Tikka M55 Stock Linseed Oiling 3.jpg
Tikka M55 Stock Linseed Oiling 3.jpg (60.64 KiB) Viewed 5840 times

Tikka M55 Stock Linseed Oiling 1.jpg
Tikka M55 Stock Linseed Oiling 1.jpg (54.52 KiB) Viewed 5840 times

Tikka M55 Stock Linseed Oiling 7.jpg
Tikka M55 Stock Linseed Oiling 7.jpg (35.13 KiB) Viewed 5840 times
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Mar 2015, 7:14 pm

That's lovely mate, she came up a real treat!! :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by KWhorenet » 21 Mar 2015, 7:24 pm

Took a heap (not all) of the old shellac type stuff off. Was tempted to use the steel wool and thinners first to clean but wasn't game.
Smoothed up nice though and I was pretty shocked once I slathered the oil mix on and ragged in.
Instantly came up glowing in the sun, was almost a romantic moment

Cant wait to oil her up again :silent:
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Mar 2015, 7:38 pm

:lol: :lol: Isn't it nice when you can polish ya wood! :lol: :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Rippah » 22 Mar 2015, 6:40 pm

Timber came up great :thumbsup:
Remington 700 CDL 35 Whelen
Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50
Remington Model 12 .22LR
CZ Ring neck 12G
Rippah
Private
Private

Queensland

TIKKA M55 17 Rem - born again shooter

Post by KWhorenet » 04 May 2015, 2:55 pm

Finally got around to finishing the tidy up and sorted out the issues with bolt face damage, surface rust, cleaning up the stock and sorting out the mounts and scope and finally stopped cleaning the damned bore. Was a good process and exercise but the worst thing I did was bore scope it with magnification and a cheapo scope :shock: I thought I was looking at the moon surface. Patch out and up to the light with eyes only and she's good to go :lol:

Next toy to play with is a MagnetoSpeed Sporter Chronograph and XFR Adaptor Kit to plug into upload data.

Anyhow as Scott asked ages ago; 'how does it shoot?'

Good enough to aerate more mangy foxes :thumbsup:

2015-05-03_17.17.41.jpg
2015-05-03_17.17.41.jpg (35.9 KiB) Viewed 4543 times

2015-05-03_17.20.12.jpg
4 fouling shots + 2 sighters
2015-05-03_17.20.12.jpg (18.93 KiB) Viewed 4543 times

2015-05-03_17.20.27.jpg
75m cold barrel group. 1 minute of fox lobotomy
2015-05-03_17.20.27.jpg (13.64 KiB) Viewed 4543 times
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Boatman » 05 May 2015, 9:58 am

1 minute of fox lobotomy

:lol: :D :thumbsup:
Boatman
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: 5 days of cleaning/soaking twice daily...still removin

Post by bluerob » 05 May 2015, 10:53 am

KWhorenet wrote:Any one ever bought old 2nd hand and bothered trying to clean the bore till it was spotless?

My daily routine: Patch out CLP till dry, Sweets 7.62 + clean. CLP + Nylon brush and sit 6 hours. Nylon brush, reapply CLP to soak rest of day. Patch out more crud from the grooves as seen by pattern on patch. CLP soak over night.

I can tell there is a huge difference from day 1 - 2 - 3 till today. The grooves are deeper beyond recognition. I have an endoscope/ bore-scope in the mail so will finally get to have a good look inside chamber and bore next week.

I may not be improving it or really achieving much but it is interesting to see what I initially thought was clean day 1 and how much gunk I have removed each day thereafter.

But some stuff called "Lead Away." There's similar products. Kleenbore make it and so does Birchwood Casey.

I'll wet patch my pistols (and rifles) with bore solvents (including Sweets). Dry patch until clean.

Now, run a lead remover patch like the brands I mentioned. You'll think that you've never cleaned your bore. This stuff (lead remover cloth) is unbelievable.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Streamline » 05 May 2015, 12:01 pm

There's definitely a huge divide in the strengths of some of our cleaning products.
Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker 30-06SPR
Sako M591 .243WIN
CZ ZKM 452 .22LR
Streamline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles