What don't you like about Tikkas?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: What don't you like about Tikkas?

Post by chrispy88 » 05 Mar 2015, 8:38 am

Only annoying thing is not being able to top load the magazine through the breech. Just means when hunting if you chamber a round but don't fire, you have to drop the mag out, eject the round and load it back into the mag. Not a big deal by any means if you ask me but some guys take issue with it.

I can't fault them, nothing like them on the market for the same money.
Tikka T3 Lite SS .308 / VXII 3-9x40
Howa HB SS .223 / Viper PST 4-16x50
Savage Mk II BTVS .22LR / VXI 3-9x40
Lithgow Model 1 .22LR
Miroku MK10 Sporter 12g
W. W. Greener Martini action 12g
chrispy88
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by KWhorenet » 05 Mar 2015, 9:20 am

another option if its push feed is to not load it back into the mag, wait till mag is empty and simply place in and chamber it.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Lorgar » 05 Mar 2015, 10:10 am

chrispy88 wrote:Only annoying thing is not being able to top load the magazine through the breech. Just means when hunting if you chamber a round but don't fire, you have to drop the mag out, eject the round and load it back into the mag. Not a big deal by any means if you ask me but some guys take issue with it.

That's my pet peeve on it as well. Love being able to top load the internal box mag on my Ruger.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Hucka » 05 Mar 2015, 10:10 am

KWhorenet wrote:another option if its push feed is to not load it back into the mag, wait till mag is empty and simply place in and chamber it.

They are push feed :thumbsup:
Hucka
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by KWhorenet » 05 Mar 2015, 10:28 am

Does anyone have info on old model Tikka's regarding model/serial number/date of manufacture references? Even unofficial records?

I'm trying but not found much at all apart from generic info on models, history of the company pre Sako/Beretta using the Tikka Old Models site and the Google Books preview of 'Rifles of The World' by John Walter.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Mar 2015, 11:36 am

I don't think you can single feed the 223 either, you need some "Bobsled" thing to make em work as a single feed which requires pulling the mag apart to install the bobsled thingy, ask Westy he knows about em.

The mag system is what lets them down IMO and too much plastic on them for my liking - other than that they are a good rifle.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by handofcod » 05 Mar 2015, 1:19 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I don't think you can single feed the 223 either, you need some "Bobsled" thing to make em work as a single feed which requires pulling the mag apart to install the bobsled thingy, ask Westy he knows about em.

The mag system is what lets them down IMO and too much plastic on them for my liking - other than that they are a good rifle.

Never had a problem single feeding my 223 but I got the plastic sled just in case. The plastic mag is a bit of a let down though. On the positive side, it's very lightweight.
CZ452 22lr | Remington 5R Milspec in .223 | Tikka Hunter in 300wsm | Ruger Scout in .308
handofcod
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Mar 2015, 1:25 pm

handofcod wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:I don't think you can single feed the 223 either, you need some "Bobsled" thing to make em work as a single feed which requires pulling the mag apart to install the bobsled thingy, ask Westy he knows about em.

Never had a problem single feeding my 223 but I got the plastic sled just in case. The plastic mag is a bit of a let down though. On the positive side, it's very lightweight.

Makes me wonder why someone designed the bobsled for them then mate :unknown: So what's the procedure for single loading them? Do you just drop it in and close the bolt on it or do you actually have to put it in the chamber and then close the bolt?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by RDobber » 05 Mar 2015, 2:38 pm

bigfellascott wrote:The mag system is what lets them down IMO and too much plastic on them for my liking - other than that they are a good rifle.

Can't say I love the plastic, but it helps keep things light and works so I guess you can't really complain.
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Monty » 05 Mar 2015, 2:41 pm

KWhorenet wrote:Does anyone have info on old model Tikka's regarding model/serial number/date of manufacture references? Even unofficial records?

Try this on for size.

Old Sako rifle manufacturing dates
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by KWhorenet » 05 Mar 2015, 3:56 pm

Thanks Monty, I didn't think to look at the Sako page. For most people that will help

but of course for the Tikka LSA M55 and M55 being the oldest ones I was looking for are missing. Thanks Murphy :P
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Westy » 05 Mar 2015, 4:35 pm

Not a thing wrong with them "BEST RIFLE" on the market for the money others wish theirs was a Tikka!!!!!
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Baldrick314 » 05 Mar 2015, 5:45 pm

My problem with Tikka's is the fanboys :lol:
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 05 Mar 2015, 5:50 pm

That s**ty plastic cocking shroud. Cracks as soon as an angel farts in heaven.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by KWhorenet » 05 Mar 2015, 5:59 pm

Warrigul wrote:That s**ty plastic cocking shroud. Cracks as soon as an angel farts in heaven.

So they can make aluminium ones to sell as aftermarket :D Got to love engineering a fail into production and a remedy as an aftermarket upgrade lol
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Mar 2015, 6:03 pm

Baldrick314 wrote:My problem with Tikka's is the fanboys :lol:

Ah most of em are alright, some get a tad precious though :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Mar 2015, 6:09 pm

chrispy88 wrote:Only annoying thing is not being able to top load the magazine through the breech. Just means when hunting if you chamber a round but don't fire, you have to drop the mag out, eject the round and load it back into the mag. Not a big deal by any means if you ask me but some guys take issue with it.

Westy will be up you for that comment about the crappy mag design :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by RoginaJack » 05 Mar 2015, 6:22 pm

Yep, \
1. Don't come with a 10 shot mags as standard and replacement mags cost more than 100 + rounds of ammo.
2. The plastic bolt shroud!
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 05 Mar 2015, 6:28 pm

What i don't like about tikkas is the guys who've never owned one telling everyone how all the plastic stuff breaks, every hamfisted home gunsmith complaining about the "soft" recoil lugs and every guy that buys a .223 or .243 and complains the butt pad is too hard :lol:

I've put over 10,000 rounds through 3 T3's i've owned (varmints in .223, 7-08 and a .308 hunter stainless fluted), our club rifles (T3 lites .223 12" twist) have had more like 15,000 rounds each through them. never seen a broken trigger guard, bolt shroud or magazine.

yes, the plastic bolt shroud can break, particularly if you drop it on the concrete or twist it like it's the cap on a VB throwdown :lol:

yes, the recoil lugs are aluminium but if you take action out of the stock you need to seat it back over the recoil lug correctly and tension the screws correctly the recoil lug will be fine for the life of the barrel

yes, if you buy a anything with an -06 or WM at the end you will probably fit a limbsaver

yes, all T3's are built on the same length action, albeit with different bolt stops that limit bolt travel to cartridge length but they all still weigh less than a short action howa, savage or remmington with the same barrel profile.

Chronos

EDIT: oh wait, there was an issue way back with some 5 shot mags, a mate had one that wouldn't take more than a couple of rounds, i split the mag halves and found a little burr on the plastic that was catching the follower, a trim with a blade fixed that pretty quick
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Combat_Wombat » 05 Mar 2015, 6:37 pm

Pretty sure Tikka owners are the new cross fitters or vegans. How do you know that they own one? Because they won't stop f****ng talking about it hahahaha
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blu333 » 05 Mar 2015, 6:45 pm

What problems do you guys have when yop feeding your tikkas? Like where does it get hung up? I top feed my .223 at the range all the time because the only allow single shot and I've never had a problem :S
12G Pardus LAX12 Marine 20"
12G Adler A110
12G Winchester 101 O/U
.308 Rem 7600P - Leupold Vx1 3-9x40mm
.308 Rem 700 VSFII - Nightforce 8-32x56mm
.223 Tikka Super Varmint - Leupold VX2 6-18x40mm
.22LR CZ 455 Bushnell 4-12
.22 Winchester Air Rifle
Blu333
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Mar 2015, 7:20 pm

Combat_Wombat wrote:

Pretty sure Tikka owners are the new cross dressers or vegans. How do you know that they own one? Because they won't stop f****ng talking about it hahahaha

Fixed the typo mate :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Warrigul » 05 Mar 2015, 7:22 pm

Chronos wrote:What i don't like about tikkas is the guys who've never owned one telling everyone how all the plastic stuff breaks, every hamfisted home gunsmith complaining about the "soft" recoil lugs and every guy that buys a .223 or .243 and complains the butt pad is too hard :lol:

yes, the plastic bolt shroud can break, particularly if you drop it on the concrete or twist it like it's the cap on a VB throwdown :lol:

yes, the recoil lugs are aluminium but if you take action out of the stock you need to seat it back over the recoil lug correctly and tension the screws correctly the recoil lug will be fine for the life of the barrel

Nope, the shrouds break easily and far short of the point where it could be called abuse, I can personally attest to that. However I have never bothered replacing it on any of the four I have owned.

I have seen a damaged recoil lug from a .300WM and the action had never been disturbed from new(or so I have been told) so at this stage I believe recoil lugs to perhaps be an issue in larger calibres though I have had no issues(so far) in any I own/have owned and the one instance I have seen will not stop me buying one in 300wm soon to replace the ruger (only seeing something once is not a trend).

I know of no issues with magazines etc. They are a top rifle.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by chrispy88 » 06 Mar 2015, 7:22 am

Combat_Wombat wrote:

Pretty sure Tikka owners are the new cross fitters or vegans. How do you know that they own one? Because they won't stop f****ng talking about it hahahaha

We don't look that bad, do we?!?! :wtf: You know how to insult a bloke!
Lithgow Model 1 .22LR
Miroku MK10 Sporter 12g
chrispy88
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by chrispy88 » 06 Mar 2015, 7:27 am

bigfellascott wrote:

Westy will be up you for that comment about the crappy mag design :D

Now I feel like I'm waiting outside the school principal's office... I didn't do it! :unknown:
Lithgow Model 1 .22LR
Miroku MK10 Sporter 12g
chrispy88
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 06 Mar 2015, 7:40 am

Combat_Wombat wrote:

WoW this from a guy who openly admits to owning a Remington a Rossi a Howa and a Savage FUVK ME!!!!You don't have a Mossberg under the bed by chance do you???? :clap: :silent: :clap:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Westy » 06 Mar 2015, 7:45 am

Blu333 wrote:What problems do you guys have when yop feeding your tikkas? Like where does it get hung up? I top feed my .223 at the range all the time because the only allow single shot and I've never had a problem :S

They don't know s**t from Clay here Blu333 never could afford one so they bag what they don't understand!!!!!!
And here's a word from them now

http://youtu.be/gROO7xSTxfY

Well said Scott :lol: :o :D
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Mar 2015, 8:17 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by flap » 06 Mar 2015, 10:50 am

Only complaint is I don't have more :D
Sako A7 .270 Win
Tikka Lite .22-250 Rem
flap
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by RDobber » 06 Mar 2015, 10:53 am

Combat_Wombat wrote:Pretty sure Tikka owners are the new cross fitters or vegans.

Woah now!! Careful there before you offend someone :lol:
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles