What don't you like about Tikkas?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: What don't you like about Tikkas?

Post by Mick280 » 23 Mar 2015, 9:08 pm

Crap Rings (Get rid of them)
Crap Mag (Put up with it)
Otherwise , The best piece of timber I have seen on a rifle for the price.
Will shoot thumb nail groups all day with 70g Ballistic Tips & 90g Accubonds (Well under minute of deer)
Use it more than anything else I own.
Not enough Lever Gunsll
Mick280
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by KWhorenet » 23 Mar 2015, 9:28 pm

Mule wrote:Had a 50mm nighteater on the t3 30-06 and was having trouble getting the zero right

100 yards couldnt hit a barn 500 yards 2inch group.

That's some impressive 500 yard group. Is it repeatable or the best so far?

I'd need a 300 yard barrel vice mounted for that :lol:
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Chronos » 24 Mar 2015, 9:58 am

RDobber wrote:C'mon, you can't blame using too bigger scope on the rings :lol:

2" and 500m with the right ones shows it, dunno how you turned that into a complaint.

Kind of have to agree, a nikko scope for s start and a 50mm scope in low factory rings is asking for trouble.

I've run factory rikka alloy rings on a few rifles, 7-08 shooting up to 175gr pills and currently a .308 and never have I had any issues I could blame in the factory rings. Probably shot 3,000 rounds with the factory rings on the 7-08 with a VX2.

As long as the rings are torqued evenly am happy to use them on a mid weight cartridge, if I was moving up to a magnum Id definitely fit steel warne rings

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by JOY » 24 Mar 2015, 10:17 am

Are Warne Rings any good?
JOY
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Mick280 » 24 Mar 2015, 10:53 am

Warne Rings are good , I have them on my T3.
But as others have said , The factory rings work fine on low - mid cal stuff.
The only reason I changed mine was that I spent decent coin on good glass for it and the factories look a bit cheap and nasty !
Not enough Lever Gunsll
Mick280
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by beerd » 25 Mar 2015, 7:48 am

Bidgee wrote:Action too short to get the most out of magnums.

How does a longer action give you 'more' out of a magnum cartridge?
beerd
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by horter » 25 Mar 2015, 7:50 am

Mick280 wrote:The only reason I changed mine was that I spent decent coin on good glass for it and the factories look a bit cheap and nasty !

They are a bit of a drop compared to the rest of the rig.
Ruger Hawkeye All Weather in .30-06
Sako L61R 7mm Rem Mag
Sako L461 Vixen .222 Rem
Savage 42 combination 22 WMR/410 bore
horter
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Bidgee » 25 Mar 2015, 10:52 am

beerd wrote:
Bidgee wrote:Action too short to get the most out of magnums.

How does a longer action give you 'more' out of a magnum cartridge?

The short mag length on the Tikka means you have to stuff the bullet back into the case so you can mag load. Try seating a 200 or 220gn in a 300WM to work through a Tikka mag and you'll take up a lot space meant for powder. If you cant load a magnum to magnum performance I dont see the point.

On the other hand I've used Tikkas in 7mm08 and .223 and they go OK but I'll stick to my Remmys.
Bidgee
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by beerd » 25 Mar 2015, 1:08 pm

Yep I know the issue with Tikka mags being too short for the desired COAL.
beerd
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by meathunter » 26 Mar 2015, 2:56 pm

Great thread!

I own two Tikka T3s (Plastic/SS) they are very accurate (but so are my $600 zastava's at half the price)

I will share my opinions but please don't let this hinder anyone's purchase as they are a great hunting rifle, but don't kid yourself thinking you've ''basically purchased a Sako''

They are not top loading. The ugly looking polymer magazine is single stack and tends to loosen up when it's seated in the rifle with time. This has happened to both my T3s after 50-60 rounds.A flush-fitting magazine would be ideal too, and don't loose them in the bush as they're not cheap! The polymer bolt shroud & trigger guard. The long action, regardless of calibre and I also don't like a 2-position safety. 3 position is ideal for the field, as you can lock the trigger but work your bolt.

If you visualise a Tikka T3 with a much larger ejection port, stainless steel hinged floor plate and 3 position safety, that is a perfect hunting rifle to me, CRF or not. Too bad i'm a lefty as these options exist in RH configuration by other brands...
meathunter
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Yelp » 26 Mar 2015, 2:58 pm

Baldrick314 wrote:My problem with Tikka's is the fanboys :lol:

Read my mind :lol:
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by melanie » 26 Mar 2015, 2:59 pm

meathunter wrote:Great thread!

Good because people can say what they don't like about things without a stupid argument breaking out like happens on other forums :thumbsup:
melanie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Chronos » 26 Mar 2015, 3:11 pm

meathunter wrote:Great thread!

I own two Tikka T3s (Plastic/SS) they are very accurate (but so are my $600 zastava's at half the price)

I will share my opinions but please don't let this hinder anyone's purchase as they are a great hunting rifle, but don't kid yourself thinking you've ''basically purchased a Sako''

They are not top loading. The ugly looking polymer magazine is single stack and tends to loosen up when it's seated in the rifle with time. This has happened to both my T3s after 50-60 rounds.A flush-fitting magazine would be ideal too, and don't loose them in the bush as they're not cheap! The polymer bolt shroud & trigger guard. The long action, regardless of calibre and I also don't like a 2-position safety. 3 position is ideal for the field, as you can lock the trigger but work your bolt.

If you visualise a Tikka T3 with a much larger ejection port, stainless steel hinged floor plate and 3 position safety, that is a perfect hunting rifle to me, CRF or not. Too bad i'm a lefty as these options exist in RH configuration by other brands...

I won't comment on the other points you've made because they gave been covered but tell me more about the "The ugly looking polymer magazine is single stack and tends to loosen up when it's seated in the rifle with time. "

As I've said before I've shot thousands of rounds through mine (.223, 7-08, .308) but I've never heard of this.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by meathunter » 26 Mar 2015, 3:20 pm

Hey Chronos,

When I insert the magazine into the rifle (loaded or unloaded) they wobble slightly side to side. It is more a nit pick concern than anything else, it just seems odd as they were firmly seated to begin with once upon a time when they were new rifles. I will inspect further.
meathunter
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by chrispy88 » 27 Mar 2015, 9:23 am

I'm up to about 250 rounds through my .308 and the mag still fits like a finger in a bum.
Tikka T3 Lite SS .308 / VXII 3-9x40
Howa HB SS .223 / Viper PST 4-16x50
Savage Mk II BTVS .22LR / VXI 3-9x40
Lithgow Model 1 .22LR
Miroku MK10 Sporter 12g
W. W. Greener Martini action 12g
chrispy88
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by portph » 04 Apr 2015, 4:56 pm

Only thing I don't like's their plastic stock.
Tikka T3 Lite in 300 Win Mag
Tikka T3 Hunter in 243 Winchester
portph
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by jake84 » 16 Apr 2015, 3:30 pm

I have to say out of all my guys i love my 22-250 Tikka T3 stainless steel huntsman ive done some upgrades to it but i have to say its Bang for Buck .
i've taken mine hunting plenty of times and the range is amazing cannot fault the gun at all .
jake84
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by stefo » 17 Apr 2015, 7:57 am

absolutely love my T3 .308m cant say a bad thing about it. its actually lighter than my LA101 Crossover .22 !
stefo
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Lyam » 17 Apr 2015, 11:24 am

I can't say I like the synthetic models. That stock combined with the plastic mags, trigger guard, colt cap etc. make them feel cheap IMO.

They feel solid enough with a timber stock though and they're obviously a proven rifle. Got myself a timber one.
Ruger 77/22 + Bushnell Banner 3.5-10x36
Tikka T3 Forest 270 Win + Swarovski Z3 3-10x42
Lyam
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by jake84 » 17 Apr 2015, 11:46 am

Yeah myself personally I don’t like synthetic.
They don’t feel personal and well made at all that’s just my opinion .
jake84
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Macca » 20 Apr 2015, 1:10 am

the issue i found with my tikka (.223) was the mag. i bought a 1:8 rate of twist so when i started making my own rounds with 69grn + bullets they wouldn't fit in the the factory mag. i would have thought buying i high rate of twist they would have expected you to use larger grains rather than the standard 55grn bullet...?

the plastic trigger guard looks sweet, is strong as it ever needs to be, is lighter and will never rust so i was fine with that.
best bolt action ive ever felt with stainless free floated barrel makes it my no.1 gun.
:)
Macca
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Boatman » 20 Apr 2015, 6:26 pm

Macca wrote:the issue i found with my tikka (.223) was the mag. i bought a 1:8 rate of twist so when i started making my own rounds with 69grn + bullets they wouldn't fit in the the factory mag. i would have thought buying i high rate of twist they would have expected you to use larger grains rather than the standard 55grn bullet...?

Magazine length gimping COAL is always a complaint for Tikkas.
Boatman
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles