Marlin lever actions

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Marlin lever actions

Post by rohan567 » 03 Mar 2015, 10:41 pm

So I want to get either a marlin 30-30 or 308 lever action.

If I was to get a 30-30 I would get an older one in good condition before Remington bought marlin and the started the s**ty made remlins but if I got a 308 them I would get a new 308mx.

Are these an good? Are they any better than an older good condition 30-30? Because they are about $1100 and a good old 30-30 is about $600-700 so is it worth the extra money?
rohan567
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Marlin lever actions

Post by Khan » 04 Mar 2015, 7:42 am

I will vouch for the old levers.

My Marlin is a pre-Remington takeover Model 1894 in 44 mag.

Accurate and never missed a beat, no problems.

If you found one in good condition with a good bore I'd give it a serious look.
44 Rem. Magnum Marlin Model 1894
.280 Rem. Browning X-Bolt Hunter
Khan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Korkt » 04 Mar 2015, 7:44 am

rohan567 wrote:Are these an good? Are they any better than an older good condition 30-30? Because they are about $1100 and a good old 30-30 is about $600-700 so is it worth the extra money?

For nearly twice the price I wouldn't buy one over a good condition original Marlin.

That's just a personal opinion.
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gregg » 04 Mar 2015, 7:48 am

rohan567 wrote:If I was to get a 30-30 I would get an older one in good condition before Remington bought marlin and the started the s**ty made remlins but if I got a 308 them I would get a new 308mx.

Are these an good? Are they any better than an older good condition 30-30? Because they are about $1100 and a good old 30-30 is about $600-700 so is it worth the extra money?

The problem these days, as you would have read by now, is it seems a bit of a lottery on what you get. There a professional and amateur reviews showing good groups and giving them praise, but also more people than you'd like saying they got a dud with accuracy or feeding problems.

I wouldn't completely discount the new ones, there are definitely ones that shoot but it's a consideration. Where the older ones have mostly a good reputation all around.
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by keg » 04 Mar 2015, 8:11 am

I own a shop and I can say marlin quality has fallen off. The last two I bought for the shop had a stiff action and the front sight was epoxied on tilted to the right on one of them. We put the bore sighter on and it was 6 inches off across our 35 foot long shop. We took the screw off the front sight and tried to remove it but beyond a good rap with a mallet it wouldn't come off. We didn't want to muck it up so we left it and was going to send it back since shipping is free from the wholesaler both ways on defective firearms. Lucky the next day a guy came in and wanted one and a scope so we made him a deal so we didn't have to screw with it.

Also I have heard there is a rumor from one of my wholesalers that marlin will no longer be making lever guns soon. For my money it is hard to beat the Henry rifles. They have about the best action on any lever gun I have owned or messed with.
keg
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by Mich » 05 Mar 2015, 12:27 pm

keg wrote:For my money it is hard to beat the Henry rifles. They have about the best action on any lever gun I have owned or messed with.

Good rifles :thumbsup:
Mich
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by GLS_1956 » 08 Mar 2015, 12:15 am

The quality of Marlin's lever actions is improving, rather drastically at that. Freedom Group/Remington/Marlin has bought new machinery and tooling, or so I have read. All I know is that at LGS and retailers who sell firearms, is that I have noticed better wood to metal fit, more even fit and finish on the metal as well. Lever action guns are labor intensive to make and the move in production didn't help with that.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Seik » 09 Mar 2015, 11:25 am

GLS_1956 wrote:The quality of Marlin's lever actions is improving, rather drastically at that. Freedom Group/Remington/Marlin has bought new machinery and tooling, or so I have read.

Lets hope.

It's sad to see the reputation of a brand like that go down.
Seik
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by newsteadvic » 09 Mar 2015, 2:24 pm

rohan567 wrote: 308 them I would get a new 308mx.

before thinking about hte 308 marlin express you should do some calling around stores for ammunition or brass, dies. Apparently it can be made from 307 or 444 brass with lots of steps.

You could get a Fin Wolf, BLR or win 88 in 308 but will be lookin at 1000-1500 for the BLR, 2-3000 for the Fin Wolf or Win 88. Savage 99 in 308 would also be an option.
newsteadvic
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Zilla » 10 Mar 2015, 10:00 am

$1,000 for a BLR!?!?

$1,600 - $2,000 depending on the model I think you'll find.

If you've got somewhere selling them for a grand gimmi the number! :lol:
Ruger M77 mark II Target Rifle 6.5mm Creedmoor - Redfield Revolution 4-12x40mm
Ruger 77/44 Rem Mag - Redfield Revolution 2-7x33mm
Marlin Model 1897 .22
Zilla
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles