What don't you like about Howa's

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: What don't you like about Howa's

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Mar 2015, 3:04 pm

Seconds wrote:At least a good rifle you only have to buy once.

Over the years it works out to be pretty cheap 'per shoot' if you look at using it in those terms.

I'm still shooting my 36yr old Howa that only cost $400 - shoots fine too, never given any issues ever, I just drag it out, take aim and shoot, brilliant little rifle for the $400 investment, that's ($11 per year so far to own over that 36yr period) as an example say a Sako @ $2200 purchase price over the same 36yr period will cost cost $61 per year or around 5 times more expensive to own over the same period - now which ones really is "cheaper per shot" :D

A couple of groups from about 3yrs ago - not too bad for an inexpensive rifle

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Seconds » 18 Mar 2015, 9:13 am

bigfellascott wrote:that's ($11 per year so far to own over that 36yr period) as an example say a Sako @ $2200 purchase price over the same 36yr period will cost cost $61 per year or around 5 times more expensive to own over the same period - now which ones really is "cheaper per shot" :D

Hey now.... Back off my Sako fella :P
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Mar 2015, 9:21 am

Seconds wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:that's ($11 per year so far to own over that 36yr period) as an example say a Sako @ $2200 purchase price over the same 36yr period will cost cost $61 per year or around 5 times more expensive to own over the same period - now which ones really is "cheaper per shot" :D

Hey now.... Back off my Sako fella :P

Just correcting a misconception that buying cheap isn't as economical over time - clearly in my case it has been - its costing you around 5 times as much to shoot stuff as it cost me :D
Last edited by bigfellascott on 18 Mar 2015, 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by JOY » 18 Mar 2015, 9:23 am

But why is it cost him 5 times as much is his rifle better than yours or is it more expensive for his Ammo?
JOY
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 18 Mar 2015, 9:33 am

Quote: "I'm still shooting my 36yr old Howa that only cost $400 - shoots fine too, never given any issues ever, I just drag it out, take aim and shoot, brilliant little rifle for the $400 investment, that's ($11 per year so far to own over that 36yr period) as an example say a Sako @ $2200 purchase price over the same 36yr period will cost cost $61 per year or around 5 times more expensive to own over the same period - now which ones really is "cheaper per shot" :D "

Going by your math are you saying a Sako was $2200 36 years ago? I doubt it.

Oranges to oranges would make a better comparison. Mayb someone could tell us what a sako L461 cost back in the day because they're still sorth around $1K

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Mar 2015, 9:52 am

Chronos wrote:Quote: "I'm still shooting my 36yr old Howa that only cost $400 - shoots fine too, never given any issues ever, I just drag it out, take aim and shoot, brilliant little rifle for the $400 investment, that's ($11 per year so far to own over that 36yr period) as an example say a Sako @ $2200 purchase price over the same 36yr period will cost cost $61 per year or around 5 times more expensive to own over the same period - now which ones really is "cheaper per shot" :D "

Going by your math are you saying a Sako was $2200 36 years ago? I doubt it.

Oranges to oranges would make a better comparison. Mayb someone could tell us what a sako L461 cost back in the day because they're still sorth around $1K

Chronos

Not saying that at all Steve, just pointing out that the cheap option isn't a bad thing at all (36yrs on and still doing a fine job and costing SFA to do the same job as an expensive rifle does). :thumbsup:

Don't know what a L461 cost back then mate sorry, I do know they are overpriced now IMHO (I've got one sitting in the safe at the moment I don't use), my latest Howa cost $780 with Nikon Scope/DNZ 1pce mounts, boyds stock - so over the same 36yr period it will cost me $21 per year or 3 times cheaper than the Sako @ say $2200 over the same period. So for me it works out to be a more economical option.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Mar 2015, 10:21 am

JOY wrote:But why is it cost him 5 times as much is his rifle better than yours or is it more expensive for his Ammo?

It's a Sako so you pay a premium for the name - is it worth 5 times as much, nup not IMHO it ain't.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Seconds » 18 Mar 2015, 2:32 pm

JOY wrote:But why is it cost him 5 times as much is his rifle better than yours or is it more expensive for his Ammo?

We're just joking about averaging the cost of the rifle out over the years. Not the ammo

A new Howa is about $600.

A new Sako Hunter is about $2,300.

$600 divided by 10 years, or $2,300 divided by 10 years. Works out more expensive to shoot the Sako 'per year' if you follow.

Ammo is not more expensive for a more expensive rifle.

As for for the Sako being "better" than a Howa, that's not quite a fair description as they're a bit apples and oranges.

Both are safe, accurate firearms. The Sako would be better described as having a higher level of craftsmanship.

For instance Howa will come with a synthetic, or laminate stock. A Sako will come with a high grade walnut stock. There are other 'feel' and 'quality' aspects too.

The best thing I can suggest is next time your at your local gun store ask to have a look at a Sako. It will be obvious what I'm talking about once you hold one ;)

If you just want to get a bullet through a bullseye though, they will both do that.
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by buster » 18 Mar 2015, 2:35 pm

Sako are expensive but make BEAUTIFUL rifles.

This is a favourite :arrow: Sako 85 Bavarian Carbine

Mossberg MVP Varmint .223 Rem
Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40

Howa 1500 Stainless .308 Win
Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40
buster
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Mar 2015, 3:17 pm

It all comes down to the level of finish you want in a rifle I guess, some like pretty walnut etc and a few other refinements and are happy to pay a huge premium to have it, some are happy with basic type finish with all intensive purposes still function and perform the same just not with the finesse of the more expensive stuff - most rifles these days seem to be made fairly well and shoot well regardless of price point, which is good cos I ain't interested in paying through the nose to shoot a fox or rabbit etc. :D

People buy things for many and varied reasons, some on the cool factor, the look at me factor, I'm a tight arse factor etc - buy whatever category you fit into and enjoy it.

One of the best things that appeal to me about Howa's is if I damage a stock somehow it won't cause me to go into a meltdown knowing its going to cost a ****** to replace it, $200 see's a new Boyds on it within a week or so, something like a Sako or other euro stock will cost you a ****** more than that and no doubt be waiting a fair while for it also. Lots of add on parts too if that's ya thing and don't generally cost a lot either.

As I said buy what works for you and your budget/tastes etc - I'm sure you'll be happy regardless of the Price.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gwion » 18 Mar 2015, 4:38 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
One of the best things that appeal to me about Howa's is if I damage a stock somehow it won't cause me to go into a meltdown knowing its going to cost a ****** to replace it, $200 see's a new Boyds on it within a week or so, something like a Sako or other euro stock will cost you a ****** more than that and no doubt be waiting a fair while for it also. Lots of add on parts too if that's ya thing and don't generally cost a lot either.

As I said buy what works for you and your budget/tastes etc - I'm sure you'll be happy regardless of the Price.

I ended up getting a Howa (even though i really wanted a Sako) because it fit my budget and had a reputation for shooting very well once tuned up a bit. My first groups with factory Rem PSP55 and an 'ebay trigger dude" trigger fix were around an inch, maybe 1.2. Adjusted torque: down to reliably under an inch (practice helped too). Bedded it: 0.7-0.8". Learnt to hand load: 0.7-0.5". New stock, bedded, pillars, one piece DNZ mount/rings, torqued well, 0.6-0.4" at 100m, (depending on the day and how I am shooting). All this for a total build cost of just on a grand (sans scope only). It's a good reliable, accurate rifle with a couple of very minor detractions (as mentioned the tiny screw holding the bolt release leaver being one).

I'm still lusting after a Sako one day (or maybe a Steyer, or maybe a Sauer or maybe....), but it wont be a knock around, chuck it in the ute, bang it down on a fence post for a rest type rifle; which my Howa is, even though i've grown very fond of it.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Seconds » 19 Mar 2015, 12:53 pm

Gwion wrote:I'm still lusting after a Sako one day (or maybe a Steyer, or maybe a Sauer or maybe....), but it wont be a knock around

I did the same for years.

In the end thought f*** it. You only live once.

Sold my others and spent the bigger money to have one really nice rifle go-to rifle that will last me forever.
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles