How old is too old to fire?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

How old is too old to fire?

Post by sally-bee » 10 Mar 2015, 3:17 pm

With older rifles is there a more or less accepted average as to how old is too old to fire?
sally-bee
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Re: How old is too old to fire?

Post by Noisydad » 10 Mar 2015, 4:47 pm

How looked after is it is probably a more appropriate question. In the Seymour Black Powder Club we have a club member using an Enfield Snider .577 rifle built in 1867 at our monthly comps and another using a 10 bore muzzle loading shotgun (in the clay target event) built in 1847. So the there are a couple of guns lasting two lifetimes! There wouldn't be to many tools that are 168 years old that can still be used for their original purpose!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Jack V » 10 Mar 2015, 5:25 pm

As long as the rifle action or lock is in good serviceable condition and fired with the appropriate type of loading or ammunition that stays within safe pressures then it should not matter . The basic Mauser 98 action on my long range gun is over 100 years old now and it's working fine with full power 243 and 30-06 loads.
I guess it comes down to how old is old and what condition is it in . To fire very old antique stuff you need to have a lot of knowledge about the subject first .
Trying to use modern ammunition pressures in old guns that were never designed to take such pressure is very unsafe .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Korkt » 12 Mar 2015, 10:18 am

Depends entirely on the treatment and condition of the particular firearm.

Plenty of 100+ year old guns gettting fired every day. Others that have corroded away to little more than messy paper weights that you wouldn't fire with a 30m piece of string.
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Mich » 12 Mar 2015, 10:20 am

Jack V wrote:Trying to use modern ammunition pressures in old guns that were never designed to take such pressure is very unsafe .

I've seen one or two mistakes here when people have swapped black powder for modern smokeless not fully comprehending the difference.

These rifles are no more.
Mich
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by sally-bee » 12 Mar 2015, 10:30 am

Hi guys,

I thought before asking this might be a 'how long is a piece of string' type question but wondered if there might be a point where the steel has just aged past where you'd be comfortable using it or something like that.

Makes sense though condition is everything.

Just curious for now anyway, no super old rifle I'm deciding about pulling the trigger on or anything :lol:
sally-bee
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Jack V » 14 Mar 2015, 7:38 am

Mich wrote:I've seen one or two mistakes here when people have swapped black powder for modern smokeless not fully comprehending the difference.

These rifles are no more.

I could well imagine .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Mar 2015, 8:24 am

Agree with all of above. If in doubt get it checked out.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sally-bee » 16 Mar 2015, 1:13 pm

I definitely would.

I shoot a new rifle which I trust to be working and safe.

I wouldn't know where to start with evaluating and antique if I ever got one. But that's getting ahead of things.
sally-bee
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Kipper » 21 Mar 2015, 8:02 am

I've seen a 200 year old flint lock fired :thumbsup:
Kipper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by lowb » 27 Mar 2015, 12:30 pm

Not at expert on this in any way but they can do various tests like the hardness of metals with an indenter. I suppose this kind of things could be applied to parts of the action or action end of the barrel to get some idea of the condition over all.

I don't know if that equipment is in the shop of an average gun smith though.
lowb
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Return to Centerfire rifles