What don't you like about Rugers

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

What don't you like about Rugers

Post by squirrelhunter » 27 Mar 2015, 10:58 am

Following two good topics recently, the what don't you like about Tikkas and the what don't you like about Howas topics thought I'd start one for Ruger as an owner of one.

As far as magazines go, the internal box mags of the Hawkeye are good, the steel mags of the Scout are real bastards when you get them.

I had to load and cycle about 150 rounds or something just to get it to smooth out so it wasn't a pain in the ass to load. It's fine now but if you were loading a dummy round in a shop or had only used a new one it's something that could put you off.
Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308
Bushnell 3-9x 40mm - Multi-X
squirrelhunter
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: What don't you like about Rugers

Post by bigfellascott » 27 Mar 2015, 11:30 am

Not so much a dislike but the rough action (smooths up with use) and the trigger is crap (but quick and easy to make it a very good one) with a spring change and a quick hone and polish, other than that its a good honest hunting rifle (not benchrest accuracy) but the wife hasn't missed a thing with it so far so can't be too shabby.

It's got a good internal mag system (love them) and not one bit of plastic anywhere other than the pistol grip cap. :D one solidly built rifle ready for hard use.

Oh yeah forgot to mention its got one big arse heavy duty extractor system - as for control feed or push feed I don't honestly care either way just so long as they work I'm happy. :D
Last edited by bigfellascott on 27 Mar 2015, 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Combat_Wombat » 27 Mar 2015, 12:14 pm

I can see this becoming a push feed vs controlled pretty quickly :P
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by meathunter » 27 Mar 2015, 12:32 pm

squirrelhunter wrote:
the steel mags of the Scout are real bastards when you get them.

Are the polymers better feeding? Are the scout magazines top load capable while inserted in the rifle? I've never held one to be able to inspect. Is the trigger guard of polymer?
meathunter
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by cala90 » 27 Mar 2015, 12:50 pm

The only issue I had with my Ruger American 22lr was the rotary magazine when I first got it. Wouldn't feed bullets (looked as though the spring inside was buggered). Took it back on the Monday and he replaced the magazine on the spot. Other than that, I love it! :D
Ruger American 22LR
Howa 1500 Varmint Fluted 223
Webley & Scott 912 12G
cala90
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Farmjer » 27 Mar 2015, 1:34 pm

meathunter wrote:Are the scout magazines top load capable while inserted in the rifle? I've never held one to be able to inspect. Is the trigger guard of polymer?

Mags are not top loadable while inserted.

Trigger guard is steel.
Farmjer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Lorgar » 27 Mar 2015, 1:41 pm

My 2c...

Pros
Like the controlled feed (not trolling, don't bite)
Like the internal box mag and top loading.
Like that there is no plastic - Paid for with the weight though.
Walnut and laminate stocks are both good quality.
Took more work to find an accurate load than other rifles I've developed for but eventually got 3/4" out of my .308 and .243 Hawkeyes.

Cons
A bit heavier than I'd like, the scout in particular.
Every Ruger I've seen/used had contact points along the barrel and needed properly floating.
Triggers are a bit clunky and not adjustable.
Their synthetic stocks are just awful.... IMO.
Factory recoil pads are crap, feels like getting hit with tyre tread.

Scott nailed it....

bigfellascott wrote:one solidly built rifle ready for hard use.

That's what they're for.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by meathunter » 27 Mar 2015, 2:45 pm

Farmjer wrote:
meathunter wrote:Are the scout magazines top load capable while inserted in the rifle? I've never held one to be able to inspect. Is the trigger guard of polymer?

Mags are not top loadable while inserted.

Trigger guard is steel.

Not glass-reinforced nylon?
meathunter
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by jeretilda » 27 Mar 2015, 9:13 pm

Nothing.
I love them.
Top loading mags, push feed fans love the tang safety versions, while Mauser fans love the Mk II's.
Solid, dependable, great scope ring system and accurate.
Always cheap on the second hand market too. Shhh...
Every one I see up for sale I try to justify the possible use of that calibre in the paddock.
I'd like to venture into the No. 1 territory too!
John
Ruger 308W M77 RSI Int MKII w/ Leupold 1-4 X 20 VXII
Ruger 243W M77 RSI Int MKII w/ Leupold 2-7 X 32 VXI
Sako 223 L461 w/ Swarovski 4-12 X 50
Anschutz 1710 DKL w/ Leupold 6.5-20 X 40 VXIII
Anschutz 1518 Mannlicher w/ Leupold 3-9 X 33 EFR VXII
jeretilda
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 27 Mar 2015, 10:20 pm

The things I don't love is the loss of my Mini 14 back in the dark times. Great rifle, took many pigs, rabbits and several dogs with it. Best semi auto of its time in my opinion and when coupled with a 30 round mag delivered exceptional firepower. The other is my mates Ruger Gunsight Scout with the boat paddle stock, one of the very few rifles that bruise my shoulder so I can't say I love their recoil pads.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by handofcod » 28 Mar 2015, 7:17 am

Really like the safety and the fact the scout comes with spacers for LOP.

The steal 5 shot mag that came with mine is great, no rattle. The 10 shot polymer mags are better.

Buttpad is super soft but a bit catchy on certain fabrics. Gets caught up sometimes shouldering it. From memory the trigger is adjustable and I quite like it for what it is.

The action takes a bit of braking in and I wouldn't say it's particularly good but definitely 'good enough'.
CZ452 22lr | Remington 5R Milspec in .223 | Tikka Hunter in 300wsm | Ruger Scout in .308
handofcod
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 28 Mar 2015, 9:24 am

handofcod wrote:Really like the safety and the fact the scout comes with spacers for LOP.

The steal 5 shot mag that came with mine is great, no rattle. The 10 shot polymer mags are better.

Buttpad is super soft but a bit catchy on certain fabrics. Gets caught up sometimes shouldering it. From memory the trigger is adjustable and I quite like it for what it is.

The action takes a bit of braking in and I wouldn't say it's particularly good but definitely 'good enough'.

Thought it was a "what you DON"T like about Rugers" thread :lol:

I can take or leave the CRF, I've shot plenty of mausers and it's a good system with stripper clips, not so great with scoped rifles because each round needs to be loaded into the mag rather than push feed where you can simply "throw" it in and close the bolt

I don't like the trigger, it's not woeful from the factory but it's heavier than i'd like on a hunting gun and models with non adjustable you're stuck with it unless you swap springs as BFS said or you swap it out for a Dayton

It's heavy, I haven't weighed it side by side with my other rifles but i should just as reference

I can't complain about the synthetic stock, it does the job and the factory recoil pad does it's job as well

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Oneshot270 » 28 Mar 2015, 10:20 am

I just never liked the look or working of the bolt actions. I have a couple of friends who have them but I know a lot more who have had them and then sold them later to buy a Remington, Winchester, Sako or Tikka. The early synthetic stocks weren't too flash and kicked a bit it larger calibres. I miss the little 10/22 for plinking though.
"One shot one kill"
Remington 700 ADL .270 WIN Burris 3-9x40
1917 BSA No1 Mk3 .303 Brit
Marlin 336CS 30-30 WIN Redfield 2-7x33
Remington 700 SPS .223 Bushnell 4-16x40
CZ452 .22LR Nikko Stirling 6x40
Mossberg 395 12ga
Boito O/U Nickel 12ga
Oneshot270
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by meathunter » 28 Mar 2015, 12:01 pm

Oneshot270 wrote: I know a lot more who have had them and then sold them later to buy a Remington, Winchester, Sako or Tikka.

I can understand for a Sako or Winchester Model 70 as they're top-shelf beauties, but what were their specific reasons? If Ruger hawkeyes came with close enough consistent accuracy like Tikka, I know which one i'd rather own.
meathunter
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Farmjer » 29 Mar 2015, 6:36 pm

meathunter wrote:Not glass-reinforced nylon?

Regular steel or stainless on the Rugers I've handled.
Farmjer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by RDobber » 29 Mar 2015, 6:42 pm

handofcod wrote:Really like the safety and the fact the scout comes with spacers for LOP.

Also like the Ruger 3-position safety, would prefer it over the Tikka 2-position if I'm honest.

Dislikes - The action/feeding seems a bit sticky at times.
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Chronos » 29 Mar 2015, 6:45 pm

RDobber wrote:Also like the Ruger 3-position safety, would prefer it over the Tikka 2-position if I'm honest.

Dislikes - The action/feeding seems a bit sticky at times.

you don't need a 3p safety with a DBM :thumbsup:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bunnybuster » 29 Mar 2015, 11:11 pm

I don't like what happened to my 10/22 a bloody hoplophobe stole it,and I didn't like missing out on a number 1 as I was too tardy to grab a bargain, :crazy:

and I am less than chuffed with my 223,as I bought a skinny barrel when I should have bought a heavy :( ,apart from that my Rugers are great,reliable

firearms and the scope mounts are probably equal to,if not the best around. :thumbsup:

Be Safe BB
bunnybuster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Warrigul » 30 Mar 2015, 8:07 am

Chronos wrote:
you don't need a 3p safety with a DBM :thumbsup:

Chronos

You don't necessarily need a 3 position safety with a ruger centerfire either but it is nice to be able to chamber and extract a loaded round with the safety engaged, something that isn't an option with many other rifles. (I could be wrong, four of my rifles are out on loan at the moment so I can't check).
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Mar 2015, 8:30 am

That's it in a nutshell, 3 position safeties allow the bolt to still be operated and the trigger mechanism prevented from operating, most of my Howa's have the 3 position safety as well (not that I bother with safeties as I pretty much only load when I spot something to shoot. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Chronos » 30 Mar 2015, 9:12 am

Warrigul wrote:You don't necessarily need a 3 position safety with a ruger centerfire either but it is nice to be able to chamber and extract a loaded round with the safety engaged, something that isn't an option with many other rifles. (I could be wrong, four of my rifles are out on loan at the moment so I can't check).

Yes mate, I understand the benefits of a 3p safety but it wouldn't stop me buying a rifle. my point is the main purpose of it it to allow you to unload the magazine on an internal magazine (blind) rifle where the only way to do so is to cycle them out of the mag, into the chamber and then extract and eject them. Once you add a floor plate or a DBM this function is no longer a necessity. A feature of the original mauser action? yes. I have a K98 Israeli and a ruger M77 and have had to empty the blind mag (on the K98) at the range but the range is always hot so again no need for the safety. However if I was hunting with a loaded mag, empty chamber (on the K98) and I got back to the car and wanted to unload the rifle the 3p safety would be used to cycle the gun empty in a "safe" manner, nothing that couldn't be done with the gun pointed in a safe direction anyway. Hinged floorplate rifles (Ruger M77, Rem 700,) and DBM(Tikka, Sako, CZ or Weatherby)? No need to cycle the bolt.

Like BFS I never use nor rely on a safety, the chamber is empty until I'm ready to fire, if I chamber a round and it's not needed I simply extract it. No need to engage the safety then extract.

Chronos

Edit: Clarified for those who need it clarified
Last edited by Chronos on 30 Mar 2015, 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by RDobber » 30 Mar 2015, 1:06 pm

Chronos wrote:you don't need a 3p safety with a DBM :thumbsup:

I understand that, it's just a design feature I like.
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Warrigul » 30 Mar 2015, 1:08 pm

Chronos wrote:Yes mate, I understand the benefits of a 3p safety butting wouldn't stop me buying a rifle. my point is the main purpose of it it to allow you to unload the magazine on an internal magazine (blind) rifle where the only way to do so is to cycle them out of the mag, into the chamber and then extract and eject them. Once you add a floor plate or a DBM this function is no longer a necessity. A feature of the original mauser action? yes. I have a K98 Israeli and a ruger M77 and have had to empty the blind mag at the range but the range is always hit so again no need for the safety. However if I was hunting with a loaded mag, empty chamber and I got back to the car and wanted to unload the rifle the 3p safety would be used to cycle the gun empty in a "safe" manner, nothing that couldn't be done with the gun pointed in a safe direction anyway. Floorplate rifles and DBM? No need to cycle the bolt.

Like BFS I never use nor rely on a safety, the chamber is empty until I'm ready to fire, if I chamber a round and it's not needed I simply extract it. No need to engage the safety then extract.

chronos

Rugers(well mine does) and howas have a magazine release catch that allows you to empty the magazine quite easily and safely without cycling the action.

Geez, I will be totally stuffed, I was sure all M77 rugers had hinged floorplates that allow you to easily unload, my .223 ultralite and all the Mk2's I have handled definately do and they have all been a breeze to empty. Well you learn something new every day, I knew some ruger M77 safeties were only two position but I didn't know some were blind magazined.

I honestly thought you had no idea what you were talking about, but seeing as you were only able to unload your ruger magazine with the bolt then it must be true and thank you for enlightening me. Please show me a picture where this is demonstrated as I am keen to see one.

Military mausers have difficult to remove floorplates- on purpose but they are not the subject of today's topic.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by BBJ » 30 Mar 2015, 1:27 pm

Chronos wrote:Like BFS I never use nor rely on a safety, the chamber is empty until I'm ready to fire, if I chamber a round and it's not needed I simply extract it. No need to engage the safety then extract.

Standard for any experience shooter I think.

Can't say I know anyone who actually uses the safety.
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Return to Centerfire rifles