What don't you like about Rugers

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: What don't you like about Rugers

Post by Warrigul » 30 Mar 2015, 8:07 am

Chronos wrote:
you don't need a 3p safety with a DBM :thumbsup:

Chronos

You don't necessarily need a 3 position safety with a ruger centerfire either but it is nice to be able to chamber and extract a loaded round with the safety engaged, something that isn't an option with many other rifles. (I could be wrong, four of my rifles are out on loan at the moment so I can't check).
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Mar 2015, 8:30 am

That's it in a nutshell, 3 position safeties allow the bolt to still be operated and the trigger mechanism prevented from operating, most of my Howa's have the 3 position safety as well (not that I bother with safeties as I pretty much only load when I spot something to shoot. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Chronos » 30 Mar 2015, 9:12 am

Warrigul wrote:You don't necessarily need a 3 position safety with a ruger centerfire either but it is nice to be able to chamber and extract a loaded round with the safety engaged, something that isn't an option with many other rifles. (I could be wrong, four of my rifles are out on loan at the moment so I can't check).

Yes mate, I understand the benefits of a 3p safety but it wouldn't stop me buying a rifle. my point is the main purpose of it it to allow you to unload the magazine on an internal magazine (blind) rifle where the only way to do so is to cycle them out of the mag, into the chamber and then extract and eject them. Once you add a floor plate or a DBM this function is no longer a necessity. A feature of the original mauser action? yes. I have a K98 Israeli and a ruger M77 and have had to empty the blind mag (on the K98) at the range but the range is always hot so again no need for the safety. However if I was hunting with a loaded mag, empty chamber (on the K98) and I got back to the car and wanted to unload the rifle the 3p safety would be used to cycle the gun empty in a "safe" manner, nothing that couldn't be done with the gun pointed in a safe direction anyway. Hinged floorplate rifles (Ruger M77, Rem 700,) and DBM(Tikka, Sako, CZ or Weatherby)? No need to cycle the bolt.

Like BFS I never use nor rely on a safety, the chamber is empty until I'm ready to fire, if I chamber a round and it's not needed I simply extract it. No need to engage the safety then extract.

Chronos

Edit: Clarified for those who need it clarified
Last edited by Chronos on 30 Mar 2015, 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by RDobber » 30 Mar 2015, 1:06 pm

Chronos wrote:you don't need a 3p safety with a DBM :thumbsup:

I understand that, it's just a design feature I like.
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Warrigul » 30 Mar 2015, 1:08 pm

Chronos wrote:Yes mate, I understand the benefits of a 3p safety butting wouldn't stop me buying a rifle. my point is the main purpose of it it to allow you to unload the magazine on an internal magazine (blind) rifle where the only way to do so is to cycle them out of the mag, into the chamber and then extract and eject them. Once you add a floor plate or a DBM this function is no longer a necessity. A feature of the original mauser action? yes. I have a K98 Israeli and a ruger M77 and have had to empty the blind mag at the range but the range is always hit so again no need for the safety. However if I was hunting with a loaded mag, empty chamber and I got back to the car and wanted to unload the rifle the 3p safety would be used to cycle the gun empty in a "safe" manner, nothing that couldn't be done with the gun pointed in a safe direction anyway. Floorplate rifles and DBM? No need to cycle the bolt.

Like BFS I never use nor rely on a safety, the chamber is empty until I'm ready to fire, if I chamber a round and it's not needed I simply extract it. No need to engage the safety then extract.

chronos

Rugers(well mine does) and howas have a magazine release catch that allows you to empty the magazine quite easily and safely without cycling the action.

Geez, I will be totally stuffed, I was sure all M77 rugers had hinged floorplates that allow you to easily unload, my .223 ultralite and all the Mk2's I have handled definately do and they have all been a breeze to empty. Well you learn something new every day, I knew some ruger M77 safeties were only two position but I didn't know some were blind magazined.

I honestly thought you had no idea what you were talking about, but seeing as you were only able to unload your ruger magazine with the bolt then it must be true and thank you for enlightening me. Please show me a picture where this is demonstrated as I am keen to see one.

Military mausers have difficult to remove floorplates- on purpose but they are not the subject of today's topic.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by BBJ » 30 Mar 2015, 1:27 pm

Chronos wrote:Like BFS I never use nor rely on a safety, the chamber is empty until I'm ready to fire, if I chamber a round and it's not needed I simply extract it. No need to engage the safety then extract.

Standard for any experience shooter I think.

Can't say I know anyone who actually uses the safety.
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Return to Centerfire rifles