22-250 barrel life?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: 22-250 barrel life?

Post by Apollo » 12 Mar 2014, 9:17 pm

From Thales (ADI or Australian Munitions). The ADI AR2206 has not been manufactured for a number of years when it was discontinued from further production. Supplies may be available as "old stock".

Why switch to AR2208 and not AR2206H if as you say AR2206 is still available..???

The accuracy of a 22-250 calibre after 15,000 rounds would probably be fine at 25 yards.....!!!! 150 empty primer packets, about time to have a clean out.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 13 Mar 2014, 6:23 am

Apollo wrote:From Thales (ADI or Australian Munitions). The ADI AR2206 has not been manufactured for a number of years when it was discontinued from further production. Supplies may be available as "old stock".

Why switch to AR2208 and not AR2206H if as you say AR2206 is still available..???

The accuracy of a 22-250 calibre after 15,000 rounds would probably be fine at 25 yards.....!!!! 150 empty primer packets, about time to have a clean out.

I see what you mean by know-alls, do you really need to write that? f*** wit
Member-Deleted

Post by Chronos » 13 Mar 2014, 7:17 am

Jaso calling someone a f**kwitt is totally uncalled for, particularly coming from someone who just yesterday in this thread wrote

"Easy chief, don't take it to personally. There only opinions & comments. Some seem like know-alls but there just putting there opinion on here like you did. Go grab a beer & relax it's just a forum."

Fir the record, I don't think anyone here believes a 22-250 could be considered accurate after in excess if 15,000 rounds. That's .222 territory and as varmtr said earlier in this thread around 3,000 rounds is realistic for the 22-250

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 13 Mar 2014, 8:49 am

Chronos wrote:
Fir the record, I don't think anyone here believes a 22-250 could be considered accurate after in excess if 15,000 rounds. That's .222 territory and as varmtr said earlier in this thread around 3,000 rounds is realistic for the 22-250

Chronos

If it were still accurate he probably wouldn't have had to stop and rebarrel it at 15,000.

FWIW I load for a 22-250 that was Re chambered and crowned at 8000 (was still accurate but starting to go off), it is at 10,000 plus and still fine for culling. It isn't a hot load by any stretch of the imagination. I have no idea what the end barrel life of this rifle will be.

15,000 is definately getting every millisecond's worth and it probably was a few thousand overdue for a barrel but still doing the job, not common but definately possible.

Some people seem to think that as soon as a rifle won't shoot 1/2" groups at 500m that a barrel is knackered for hunting when in reality a 2" group at 100 will easily kill most animals.

Apollo should have either apologised or shut up.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Chronos » 13 Mar 2014, 9:28 am

Warrigul wrote:If it were still accurate he probably wouldn't have had to stop and rebarrel it at 15,000.

FWIW I load for a 22-250 that was Re chambered and crowned at 8000 (was still accurate but starting to go off), it is at 10,000 plus and still fine for culling. It isn't a hot load by any stretch of the imagination. I have no idea what the end barrel life of this rifle will be.

15,000 is definately getting every millisecond's worth and it probably was a few thousand overdue for a barrel but still doing the job, not common but definately possible.

Some people seem to think that as soon as a rifle won't shoot 1/2" groups at 500m that a barrel is knackered for hunting when in reality a 2" group at 100 will easily kill most animals.

Apollo should have either apologised or shut up.

My post was not meant to question anyone's claims of how many rounds they could get out of a barrel, simply to get the thread back on topic and help the op with his question

"how long is the barrel life for a 22-250 in general?"

By "in general" I assume he doesn't mean the extreme maximum but approximately how many rounds could a 22-250 barrel retain most if its accuracy.

As I have said earlier in this thread I have no experience shooting the cartridge so I will refrain from suggesting a number again but I do have a friend who's rem 700 wouldn't hold a 5" group at 100m and it had many less than 3,000 rounds through it (hand loads) and was duly rebarreled in .243

As fit the other subject that's for the mods to decide but one forum member calling another a FW is not desirable no matter what the "discussion"

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 15 Mar 2014, 8:07 pm

Well Here's what I think needs to happen!!!!!

Everyone time for a
Attachments
group-hug.jpg
group-hug.jpg (37.96 KiB) Viewed 8517 times
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by chacka » 16 Mar 2014, 11:28 am

Well that's not what I expected to find here...
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Return to Centerfire rifles