Hankering for a big bore. 9.3x62 or 375 Ruger

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Hankering for a big bore. 9.3x62 or 375 Ruger

Post by 1290 » 08 May 2015, 5:44 pm

yoshie wrote:If you want a fun gun, what about a 45-70 or 444 marlin. Plenty for the biggest pig, more than enough recoil to put a smile on your face.

A fun gun is one that when you hand to a newbie to shoot (after sufficient instruction of course) ....

They have a shot then quickly hand it back to you... "want another shot?" "No, thats OK" :friends: :thumbsup:

Thats a priceless look, having experienced a memorable dose of Joules in the shoulder :D
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by headspace » 08 May 2015, 7:32 pm

The 9.3 is a cartridge that's fascinated me for a long time, but I never got around to doing anything about it. It's not all that far behind the 375 in delivering power, and there have been a lot of African big game shot with it. If you read the history behind Otto Bocks cartridge you will realise you're thinking about some real centre fire history. It will take Buff with authority, but as has been said, Sambar will succumb to it and it makes a very nice wild hog set up. Obviously I'm all for it. The Ruger African in that calibre is no longer imported, but there are Zastava's, Voere's and a few others to consider and the prices are reasonable. If you get one please go for a controlled round feed not a push feed, you should match the cartridge to the appropriate action. Mauser 98!
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by jeretilda » 08 May 2015, 9:33 pm

Yeah JD
That's why I went for the Zastava 9.3x62 in the end.
It's controlled round feed, poor mans Mauser you might say.
Will post some pics when it arrives.
John
Ruger 308W M77 RSI Int MKII w/ Leupold 1-4 X 20 VXII
Ruger 243W M77 RSI Int MKII w/ Leupold 2-7 X 32 VXI
Sako 223 L461 w/ Swarovski 4-12 X 50
Anschutz 1710 DKL w/ Leupold 6.5-20 X 40 VXIII
Anschutz 1518 Mannlicher w/ Leupold 3-9 X 33 EFR VXII
jeretilda
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by headspace » 09 May 2015, 8:35 pm

Good work mate, don't worry about the "poor man" tag Zastava make great rifles. You may find the action a little rough to start, but that's only because they saved money by not buffing it as much as some do. Just sit in front of the TV and work the action back and forth regularly and it will be nice and slick. Your wife will probably go nuts, but there's always a price to be paid. I think you'll be surprised by the accuracy of the rifle.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 09 May 2015, 9:24 pm

Poor mans smoor mans. :roll: ... the zastys are good rifles, they just cost you less than a CZ, who else makes amauser action? Ruger are cast as opposed to forged of the others...(tip; cast is cheaper to mass produce, forged is ahead strength wise, absolutely!)

Zastava has been producing these mauser actions for decades, and as a firearm producer, probablt Beretta is the only mob older!
I have a 60+ yr old zasty that shoots vees at 300m all day long if I do my part... seriously, dont associate the cheaper purchase price with a 'cheap' product....just dont, onlt the retailer will try to convince you to spend more :lol:

At the moment a certain unmentionable retailer is selling these for less thean $500!!! Seriously, this must be the deal of the year.

As far as rough action.... theyre MAUSERS!! designed for the trenches damn near 120 yrs ago....yet theyre still produced today in exactly the same design less the thumb cut out....
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by jeretilda » 09 May 2015, 10:41 pm

Yeah I saw the under $500 deal, but being in NSW there's +$50 post then +$100 transfer for a new gun. Plus, being on the wrong side of 40, I just can't do Tupperware stocks and stainless on a rifle.
I got one with a not too bad bit of walnut, deluxe dies, as a near new package.
Looking forward to smoothing up the action over the first state of origin game.
Last edited by jeretilda on 13 May 2015, 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
Ruger 308W M77 RSI Int MKII w/ Leupold 1-4 X 20 VXII
Ruger 243W M77 RSI Int MKII w/ Leupold 2-7 X 32 VXI
Sako 223 L461 w/ Swarovski 4-12 X 50
Anschutz 1710 DKL w/ Leupold 6.5-20 X 40 VXIII
Anschutz 1518 Mannlicher w/ Leupold 3-9 X 33 EFR VXII
jeretilda
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Seconds » 11 May 2015, 10:19 am

1290 wrote:As far as rough action.... theyre MAUSERS!! designed for the trenches damn near 120 yrs ago....yet theyre still produced today in exactly the same design less the thumb cut out....

They're tough! Not rough ;) :thumbsup:
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles