Storing rifle stock or muzzle up?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Storing rifle stock or muzzle up?

Post by Matt1 » 12 Jul 2013, 3:48 pm

Hi guys,

News to shooting and wondering what's best way to store rifles? Muzzle up or upside down?

Seems to be a bit of a debate on the subject? I'm new to shooting and don't want to muck up my new toy :D

Thanks.
Matt1
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Storing rifle stock or muzzle up?

Post by VICHunter » 12 Jul 2013, 4:01 pm

Muzzle down so any cleaning fluids etc. drain out of the gun and not into the action.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Blackened » 12 Jul 2013, 4:05 pm

VICHunter wrote:Muzzle down so any cleaning fluids etc. drain out of the gun and not into the action.

That's a lot of fluids you must be using :P
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 12 Jul 2013, 4:09 pm

The excess fluids thing is more of an issue if you live in tropical QLD or somewhere like that where you have to use a liberal amount to prevent rust etc. due to humidity.

I store mine muzzle down because I've seen a few recoil pads react badly with the carpet (or whatever it is) in the safes and they melt or go gooey.

Store muzzle down IMO. Prevent a few possible issues and there is no reason to store it the other way round. Better safe than sorry.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Drm » 01 Aug 2013, 9:53 pm

I like muzzle down for safety, rifle comes out of safe butt first and easy to look straight into the open breach (if bolt action). If stored butt down then you end up with the muzzle point toward you...
Drm
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by Aster » 02 Aug 2013, 11:16 am

Drm wrote:I like muzzle down for safety, rifle comes out of safe butt first and easy to look straight into the open breach (if bolt action). If stored butt down then you end up with the muzzle point toward you...

Not a bad point.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by Supporter » 02 Aug 2013, 11:53 am

Drm wrote:I like muzzle down for safety, rifle comes out of safe butt first and easy to look straight into the open breach (if bolt action). If stored butt down then you end up with the muzzle point toward you...

Yup, a muzzle in the face is not appreciate by most people ;)
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Octane » 02 Aug 2013, 1:25 pm

Supporter wrote:Yup, a muzzle in the face is not appreciate by most people ;)

Tell that to half the people in guns stores who when looking down the sight of a rifle usually look at another customer somewhere else in the shop :roll:
Octane
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Matt1 » 07 Aug 2013, 10:57 am

Octane wrote:
Supporter wrote:Yup, a muzzle in the face is not appreciate by most people ;)

Tell that to half the people in guns stores who when looking down the sight of a rifle usually look at another customer somewhere else in the shop :roll:

I've turned around to see someone doing that at me from across the store before :shock:
Matt1
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles