New Howa .223 finally finished! Pics...

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: New Howa .223 finally finished! Pics...

Post by bigfellascott » 28 Apr 2015, 6:48 am

rsj223 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
Gwion wrote:
rsj223 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Sounds good Chrispy, tell me does the butt pad have the word Boyd's on it? it's a good looking stock alright, if it is a Boyds I hope they bring it back into production, I'd buy one happily. You'll have to ask who ever you got it from how long ago they bought it from Boyds and what it was called, I would be interested to know more about it.

Cheers mate and enjoy the Howso, they are a great little rifle for the $$.

It look like this type I think http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/ProductDe ... e-finished

Don't think so. The comb is much higher and the pistol grip more vertical on Chrispy's stock.

Yep completely diff, I've got a Prairie Hunter Stock and she ain't like that one, as G said the Pistol Grip is More Tactical and the Hemorrhoid is shorter and higher than mine.

I'd like to find out more about it to be honest, I like the look of it.

Found this wile looking for something I dont need but want http://www.ozgunsales.com/listing/29659 ... osted.html

Looks a lot like it hey. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by rsj223 » 28 Apr 2015, 12:17 pm

I might have to go past the shop for a feel, I just dont think I can get another one in the safe :problem:
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 28 Apr 2015, 12:44 pm

rsj223 wrote:I might have to go past the shop for a feel, I just dont think I can get another one in the safe :problem:

There's always room for one more. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Baldrick314 » 28 Apr 2015, 1:25 pm

rsj223 wrote:I might have to go past the shop for a feel, I just dont think I can get another one in the safe :problem:

You should look at new safes while you're at the shop too
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by rsj223 » 28 Apr 2015, 9:33 pm

bigfellascott wrote:

There's always room for one more. :D

I will have to put some in up side down, stock up , stock down :thumbsup:
No new safe just yet, a message to all that are starting out if you think on getting a 8 gun safe because its enough get a 20 :lol:
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Prettybird » 29 Apr 2015, 9:36 am

A rack on the inside of the door is often an overlooked resource for space ;)
Prettybird
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by chrispy88 » 04 May 2015, 3:24 pm

Spent some time at Apollo's place yesterday and this is how it shoots cheap Federal blue box soft points... Exclude the flyer (which was the cold shot/fouler) and that's a 1/2" MOA group at 100. I think it shocked him even more than it did me!
Attachments
Image-583595204.jpg
Image-583595204.jpg (78.94 KiB) Viewed 4777 times
Tikka T3 Lite SS .308 / VXII 3-9x40
Howa HB SS .223 / Viper PST 4-16x50
Savage Mk II BTVS .22LR / VXI 3-9x40
Lithgow Model 1 .22LR
Miroku MK10 Sporter 12g
W. W. Greener Martini action 12g
chrispy88
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 04 May 2015, 4:22 pm

Lovely - they can shoot alright! :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by eeckle » 05 May 2015, 9:28 am

You'll be threading the sale hole with some hand loads looking at that :D
eeckle
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Apollo » 05 May 2015, 2:18 pm

eeckle wrote:You'll be threading the sale hole with some hand loads looking at that :D

That is quite on the cards and my task for this week however the weather is not being kind with wild winds for load testing. Two bullets being tested will be Berger 55gr FB Varmint and Berger 70gr VLD Target. Powders ADI BenchMark 2 and AR2208 respectively.

The trigger on this Howa 1500 isn't too bad and light enough pull to be accurate but personally I don't like the free travel before sear release.

I thought my CZ 527's (mini Mauser) were a rough action, until I cycled a Howa..... :problem: Maybe it just needs more use to free it up a bit better and make things smoother but I don't know anything about Howa's.

Nice looking rifle and I agree with all the comments on the stock, it's a pretty good looking / performing outfit.

BTW....I spoilt him by letting him have a few shots out of a Stolle Custom Target Rifle...... :sarcasm:
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by chrispy88 » 06 May 2015, 10:47 am

I try to build a cheap rifle I can use to get into a bit of target shooting and he goes and lets me fire his 6.5x47 Stolle.

But of a low blow innit? :sarcasm: :lol:
Lithgow Model 1 .22LR
Miroku MK10 Sporter 12g
chrispy88
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 06 May 2015, 1:09 pm

Did Lindsay tell you how much farting around he does with his ammo to make em shoot that way and how much he has spent so he can shoot like that? Farken ****** - that's the slippery slope of shooting tiny groups, its always going to cost you a ****** to do especially if you want to be competitive at it and sadly the Howso won't be anywhere near competitive enough if you really want to go down that slippery slope. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by cooker » 06 May 2015, 1:48 pm

It sure does get more time consuming the more serious you get.
cooker
Private
Private

New Zealand

Post by chrispy88 » 06 May 2015, 4:04 pm

Yes, he showed me the reloading room and all the gear, he certainly puts a lot of work in.

He's working up some loads for it at the moment which will hopefully be ready for the Mudgee meet up in a week and a half and we'll see if it can compete at a factory class level. Might get lucky.

Even if it doesnt turn out to be competitive at factory I'll use it to develop my skills while I save the pennies and prepare for said slope.
Lithgow Model 1 .22LR
Miroku MK10 Sporter 12g
chrispy88
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 06 May 2015, 4:34 pm

chrispy88 wrote:Ok, guys, straight from the horse's mouth:

"It is a Boyds. It was an original package deal. Howa rifle, Boyds 'target' stock, and Nikko Nighteater 6-20x56 scope. Cant remember what year I bought it. Will look it up when I get home."

I made a mistake with regard to the scope that was in the package.
It was a Nikko 6-24 x 56
A much maligned scope by many, but I had it for quite a while before replacing it with a Zeiss Duralyt, and I found it to be quite good (for an economy scope)
After getting the Zeiss, I put the Nikko on a little .22 RF, and its still performing well.

For the guys still waiting for the date / year that I bought the package, I wont be home yet for another couple weeks.
I will look it up then.
:clap:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Gregg » 07 May 2015, 2:17 pm

Die Judicii wrote:I made a mistake with regard to the scope that was in the package.
It was a Nikko 6-24 x 56
A much maligned scope by many, but I had it for quite a while before replacing it with a Zeiss Duralyt, and I found it to be quite good (for an economy scope)
After getting the Zeiss, I put the Nikko on a little .22 RF, and its still performing well.

Zeiss Duralyt, now that's a nice scope.
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 21 May 2015, 12:15 pm

OK guys, I am back home finally,,,,, :clap: :clap: :clap:

Did the trip (1,750 klms) towing the tri axle trailer with S Series Valiant loaded on it in exactly 21 hours.
That included 2 fuel stops, and a 1/2 hr break for lunch.

Other than that the only time we stopped was for the 2 minutes or so that it takes each time to change drivers.

Well I said I would find the purchase date of the Howa Package deal ( the stock that this thread was started about ) and let all those curios know.

I purchased it new in December 2006

:thumbsup:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 21 May 2015, 1:42 pm

Cheers mate.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Apollo » 21 May 2015, 5:10 pm

BTW....there is one big problem with a Zeiss Duralyt, well perhaps the one I helped sight in for a friend....Bloody 1/3 MOA adjustments...just couldn't get it on centre so had to change the mounts to something that was windage adjustable... Nice optics like most Zeiss. Now if they stayed with 1/4 MOA or even better 1/8 MOA I'd have one tomorrow.

To the topic......

So, "chrispy88" was silly enough to let me play with his Howa after the blown ammo story. Don't know if the S&B Ammo is any good in other rifles but this lot has been pulled apart and dumped. Kept cases and bullets just in case.

I said I would try and give him something better and more reliable in the way of ammo. The Federal Factory wasn't too bad and much better than the S&B rubbish so the task started as I have mentioned.

Finally got some reasonable weather and fired the first initial test loads of home made ammo.

Who said Howa's could shoot.....!!!!!! :sarcasm:

Bloody cheap Howa...

Picture 003.jpg
Picture 003.jpg (692.28 KiB) Viewed 5264 times

Take a guess at a powder, bullet and primer and the best I could manage battling with a strange trigger was in the first test run a 0.323" group....100 metres, target squares are 1" and rings are 2" in the old measurements for this fella.

I suppose that will have to do for a starting point on one of the loads to fine tune.... :thumbsup:
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 21 May 2015, 7:49 pm

Nice one Lindsay :- so what projectile and primer did you end up using and what case prep if any? thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by CustomPC » 22 May 2015, 1:07 pm

Going back to the original post and the pictures of the rifle.

A few of us asked what the stock was.

Well our prayers have been answered because OSA have re-introduced that stock to the Australian Market in Nutmeg and Pepper colours for varmint profile barrels.

Their part numbers are HSTKHBLNSA & HSTKHBLPSA for nutmeg and pepper respectively.

There's a full page ad in the June 2015 Sporting Shooter.

There's also the Thumbhole stock and a more classically styled walnut stock.

I have deposit on one of the Walnut stocks at my dealer, well i did until i saw the ad. I just rang and will probably change my order to the Laminate if the prices are within cooee of each other.
CustomPC
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rsj223 » 22 May 2015, 1:20 pm

My LGS told me there was more sales coming up with laminate
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 22 May 2015, 2:54 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Nice one Lindsay :- so what projectile and primer did you end up using and what case prep if any? thumbsup:

Scott, thank you but there is more work to do yet. I am impressed with this Howa. The first I have ever seen and/or shot.

I don't scrimp on money for bullets as that I believe is the workhorse of any outfit be it Hunting, Varminting or Target shooting so they are 55gr Berger Flat Base Hollow Points as I think I mentioned earlier. The Primers I used were Remington 7 1/2 to make sure they stood up to loads up the high end and I did shoot ADI Maximum suggested loads, the top end were not accurate.

Case prep, none. They were 2nd hand bought once fired milserp cases I got a long time ago from HPGS and basically just FLS the lot. They are "CJ" head stamped which is Norinco... Chinese military stuff. I have heaps of various cases pretty much the same and that is my suggestion to use out in the field. For target I'm suggesting Chris buys some Lapua as I have and use.

BTW.... my CZ527 .223R I use 52gr Berger Flat Base or 30gr Berger Flat Base as they really perform in my rifle. I mean tiny group consistancy at high velocity.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Supporter » 22 May 2015, 2:58 pm

Apollo wrote:BTW....there is one big problem with a Zeiss Duralyt, well perhaps the one I helped sight in for a friend....Bloody 1/3 MOA adjustments...

I never got the 1/3 MOA adjustments either.

Just trying to be different? :unknown:
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Hercl » 22 May 2015, 3:06 pm

Supporter wrote:I never got the 1/3 MOA adjustments either.

My guess would be to reduce the mechanical complexity of it. Easier to make a precise, strong, quality scope when you don't have to deliver 1/8 clicks.

The Duralyt are after all a hunting scope and not a competition scope. 1/8 or even 1/4 adjustments aren't needed for that so they've prioritized other factors.

2c.
What is this "too many rifles" you speak of?
Hercl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 22 May 2015, 3:14 pm

Apollo wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Nice one Lindsay :- so what projectile and primer did you end up using and what case prep if any? thumbsup:

Scott, thank you but there is more work to do yet. I am impressed with this Howa. The first I have ever seen and/or shot.

I don't scrimp on money for bullets as that I believe is the workhorse of any outfit be it Hunting, Varminting or Target shooting so they are 55gr Berger Flat Base Hollow Points as I think I mentioned earlier. The Primers I used were Remington 7 1/2 to make sure they stood up to loads up the high end and I did shoot ADI Maximum suggested loads, the top end were not accurate.

Case prep, none. They were 2nd hand bought once fired milserp cases I got a long time ago from HPGS and basically just FLS the lot. They are "CJ" head stamped which is Norinco... Chinese military stuff. I have heaps of various cases pretty much the same and that is my suggestion to use out in the field. For target I'm suggesting Chris buys some Lapua as I have and use.

BTW.... my CZ527 .223R I use 52gr Berger Flat Base or 30gr Berger Flat Base as they really perform in my rifle. I mean tiny group consistancy at high velocity.

Thanks for that Lindsay - glad you like the Howa's mate, I've always found them to be great value for the $$ they cost, they can certainly be made to shoot very well with a few mods (trigger/decent stock/bedding etc) I wouldn't call them a Target Type Rifle but certainly capable of very good accuracy for hunting/varminting (which is what they are designed for of course).

The ol Bergers go alright, I still haven't tried any to be honest (got enough pills of all sorts to keep me going for years) but one day I might just buy some for a bit of fun and see how they go. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Die Judicii » 22 May 2015, 9:10 pm

Hercl wrote:

My guess would be to reduce the mechanical complexity of it. Easier to make a precise, strong, quality scope when you don't have to deliver 1/8 clicks.

The Duralyt are after all a hunting scope and not a competition scope. 1/8 or even 1/4 adjustments aren't needed for that so they've prioritized other factors.

2c.

Not being a purist, ie: Target shooter,,,,,,,
I cant see what the problem is as per Apollo's comment.

I use mine purely for hunting and varminting but nevertheless,,,, I got mine zeroed (easily) and without the need to change to windage type mounts.

As for 1/3, 1/4, or 1/8 adjustments I find that to be irrelevent as long as you can achieve your zero.

Also, I quote Apollo on the following.

"The trigger on this Howa 1500 isn't too bad and light enough pull to be accurate but personally I don't like the free travel before sear release."

I dont have any free travel on mine at all, so maybe there is something amiss on the one you mention.

Mine has a 2 1/2 lb pull and is a pleasure to use.

I might get shot down here, but I speak for my own experiences :thumbsup:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 22 May 2015, 9:25 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
Hercl wrote:

2c.

Not being a purist, ie: Target shooter,,,,,,,
I cant see what the problem is as per Apollo's comment.

I use mine purely for hunting and varminting but nevertheless,,,, I got mine zeroed (easily) and without the need to change to windage type mounts.

As for 1/3, 1/4, or 1/8 adjustments I find that to be irrelevent as long as you can achieve your zero.

Also, I quote Apollo on the following.

"The trigger on this Howa 1500 isn't too bad and light enough pull to be accurate but personally I don't like the free travel before sear release."

I dont have any free travel on mine at all, so maybe there is something amiss on the one you mention.

Mine has a 2 1/2 lb pull and is a pleasure to use.

I might get shot down here, but I speak for my own experiences :thumbsup:

Is your's the HACT Trigger or the earlier version? I've got both and both have been worked by the Ebay Guy - the HACT trigger is like a 2 stage trigger but I got that removed and made into a single stage just like the earlier version, both are good triggers once some polishing and spring work done to them, and they can be made to be very very light if you want em like that, mine are set for around 1.2lb from memory and can go lighter but I like em how they are, too light is a PITA as you just have to touch them and they go off (been there done that) just too hard to spotlight with like that. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by chrispy88 » 25 May 2015, 9:37 am

Being a late model Howa it has the 2 stage trigger, 1.5lb on the first stage, 0.5lb on the sear. The first 1.5lb is the free travel Lindsay is referring to. He wasnt a fan!

This is the first rifle I've owned with a 2 stage trigger and to be honest I don't really see the point either.
Lithgow Model 1 .22LR
Miroku MK10 Sporter 12g
chrispy88
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 25 May 2015, 9:59 am

chrispy88 wrote:Being a late model Howa it has the 2 stage trigger, 1.5lb on the first stage, 0.5lb on the sear. The first 1.5lb is the free travel Lindsay is referring to. He wasnt a fan!

This is the first rifle I've owned with a 2 stage trigger and to be honest I don't really see the point either.

You can get the 1st stage taken out if you want too (I had it done to mine) not because I didn't like it as such just that my other Howa Triggers were all single stage so figured I might as well keep em all consistent in their function. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles