Savage axis mk|| 223

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Savage axis mk|| 223

Post by Littleforest » 25 Apr 2015, 7:54 pm

I recently purchased a savage axis in 223. It's the mk|| with the accu trigger, and once I got it home and broke it in, and started to test accuracy, i was majorly disappointed. The best I got was about 45mm at 100m with federal power shok varmint 55g. I shot a few different types and weights, but this was the best. Reading forums from the US, most really talk this rifle up and suggest it achieves sub MOA reasonably easy ( 29mm @ 100m). I played around with action screw tensions to no benefit. I ordered a boyds laminated stock and fitted it today and put rounds down range. Well what a mistake that was. The groups blew out to 150mm. The barrel is floating, with no contact any where, and no contact under the barrel nut. The front of the action only contacts at the very bottom. I'm looking for more info, should I bed the action and if so how do I ( or do i ) bed the rear of the action as the contact plate is pivoting along with the trigger mechanism. Do I just bed the front. Do I play around with the action screw torque. Screws are currently set at 35 in lbs as recommended by savage and boyds.all advice is welcome!!!!!

Cheers guys
Littleforest
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Savage axis mk|| 223

Post by foxshoota » 26 Apr 2015, 7:39 am

Gday, i had an original Savage Axis in .223 and .243 I found them both extremely accurate for cheap rifles. I used Varmint X in the .223 and cheap 80 grainers all made by winchester
foxshoota
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Apr 2015, 10:01 am

You must be very frustrated. No expert here but, put original stock back on, check the manual for the order screws should be tightened, sometimes it matters. Obvious, ensure barrel is clean and double check all scope related screws. (But does not sound like a scope issue, do it anyway) try more ammo brands. Reloading your own ammo. At the end of the day reloading always gets a better result, well thats been my experience. Good luck with the new toy. Ps I like that style of trigger.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 26 Apr 2015, 11:35 am

As a member of the brotherhood of the barrel nut....or maybe just a nut... I would never recommend an Axis as they were designed with manufacturing 'efficiencies' the degrade the potential... yes, you will get a good shooter, also an ordinary one..

I would much rather a standard 110/10 action, the Stevens 200 was the go-to entry level Savage model, which was dumped on by dealers simply, in my opinion, because they could achieve a much better margin on anything else....on a 900 or 1500 or 2400 dollar rifle....hence your 'advised' to get something better 'if you can'....

With your axis, the barrel should free-float basically from the front mount, (which is moved to the stock in the Axis from the barrel/action in the savage+stevens) barrel nut and barrel.
When torqueing the stock, hand tighten the stock mounting screws, sit the on firm base vertically with muzzle up, tap the stock while holding the barrel and tighten with downward pressure on the barreled assembly. This will firmly seat it in the stock s it doesnt move in recoil. front then rear screws...IMO

The front of the action/barrel should be free just as the rear of the action (the tang) so that the stock doesnt touch the tang.

Did you buy the rifle brand new or slightly used?? Did someone let-go a lemon perhaps??
You may need to spend time finding an optimum load.... if you're keeping the rifle that is...
I would prefer a used Stevens 200 in 223Rem, but for some strange reason you rarely find them on the used market :unknown:
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Apr 2015, 6:09 pm

"When torqueing the stock, hand tighten the stock mounting screws, sit the on firm base vertically with muzzle up, tap the stock while holding the barrel and tighten with downward pressure on the barreled assembly. This will firmly seat it in the stock s it doesnt move in recoil. front then rear screws...IMO"

Thats how I do it too.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Timb0 » 26 Apr 2015, 6:49 pm

Might be a stupid question, but have you checked your scope mount screws?
Marlin XT22 .22lr, Ruger M77/22 .22wmr, Rem 7615 .223, Ruger M77 .223, Weatherby MarkV .243, Rem 700 VLS .243, Kimber Montana .270, Weatherby MarkV .270Wby mag, Rem 700 .308, Khan ATac 12ga.
Timb0
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Apr 2015, 7:20 pm

Yeh, I mentioned scope screws too. To be sure to be sure. Lol
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Timb0 » 26 Apr 2015, 7:51 pm

Oldbloke, your device has gone from doubles to triples!
Marlin XT22 .22lr, Ruger M77/22 .22wmr, Rem 7615 .223, Ruger M77 .223, Weatherby MarkV .243, Rem 700 VLS .243, Kimber Montana .270, Weatherby MarkV .270Wby mag, Rem 700 .308, Khan ATac 12ga.
Timb0
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by 6mmdasher » 26 Apr 2015, 8:20 pm

I bought a savage axis in 30/06 just for the action to make a 257 ackerly imp. I decided to shoot a couple of rounds through the 30/06 barrel to get a couple of cases to use to headspace the 30/06 barrel incase I decided to put it back into the action. i was very surprised to find that they all went into a very small group @ 50 yds using the package 3-9 bushnell scope supplied ! With the Maddco 257 ack barrel they all go throuh the same hole @ 100yds. I did free float the barrel in the poxy plastic stock in the Mil and work the trigger a bit!
22lr, 22br,6mm br,30br, 6mm PPC,6mm dasher, 6mm superLR, 260 rem, 257 rob ack imp,7 x 57 ack imp,308 win,30/06 ack imp, 32/20, 44/40, 444 marlin,12.14 x 42mm
6mmdasher
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Apr 2015, 8:22 pm

Yep, looks it. Just getting my point across. :lol:
No wonder the internet is so slow in my street. :unknown:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Monty » 26 Apr 2015, 9:23 pm

Is the internet particularly slow in your area OldBloke?

That could be part of the issue with the dupe posts for me to pass along. Some connection issues causing the double ups maybe.?
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Apr 2015, 9:46 pm

Monty wrote:Is the internet particularly slow in your area OldBloke?

That could be part of the issue with the dupe posts for me to pass along. Some connection issues causing the double ups maybe.?

Yep, known to be poor and unreliable speeds. Tne local telsra exchange is beyond hope. . A long wait for the nbn too. Also effected by wet weather.
I noticed a while back that if there are 2 posts I get an option to delete the second one. So if I notice it I delete. But strangely only effects the tablet, but its processor is slower than the laptop. Perhaps the combination? Or perhaps just the tab 2. Perhaps ask one of the others what they operate with. To be sure. :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by FuzzyM » 26 Apr 2015, 10:59 pm

How many brands of ammo have you tried in it?
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Monty » 27 Apr 2015, 11:32 am

Thanks Oldbloke.

I'll stick the info in the notes to be looked into.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by NuZo » 27 Apr 2015, 11:37 am

Hey Guys,

I have an Axis in 308. It didn't like factory ammo very much, but with reloads it shoots VERY well! my axis is my stalking gun, it's bloody light and being stainless it won't mind the rain as much. For $500 new, it's bloody good bang for buck!

Cheers,

Nuzo
Attachments
axis.jpg
axis.jpg (79.15 KiB) Viewed 3047 times
Subscribe to Australian Shooting Channel on Youtube! - https://www.youtube.com/c/AustralianShootingChannel
Like Australian Shooting Channel on Facebook! - https://www.facebook.com/AustralianShootingChannel
NuZo
Private
Private

-

Return to Centerfire rifles