My new Weatherby Vanguard S2's

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: My new Weatherby Vanguard S2's

Post by rsj223 » 15 May 2015, 6:26 pm

Took some time to get the scopes on but slowly getting some more movement of my arm, don't know until next Thur as to how much I can move it.
Attachments
20150512_192633 - Copy.jpg
20150512_192633 - Copy.jpg (245.94 KiB) Viewed 5707 times
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 16 May 2015, 6:17 pm

rsj223 wrote:Found them on ebay but where can I get them for that price.

Optics Planet sell them but looks like you have mounts already.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by rsj223 » 16 May 2015, 7:54 pm

I thought the one piece one's would get in the way when loading but I think thats wrong, I would now think the one piece has more beifits.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 16 May 2015, 7:57 pm

rsj223 wrote:I thought the one piece one's would get in the way when loading but I think thats wrong, I would now think the one piece has more beifits.

Nah their fine mate, most of my rifles have 1pce mounts and they generally have a cut out to suit the port so no real issues loading them at all. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Rocker » 18 May 2015, 1:56 pm

brett1868 wrote:That's one method I use for the hunting rifles but it's not accurate enough for the big guns. For them I use feeler gauges between the rail and scope to ensure perfect level as half a degree off vertical translates to a few feet off at ranges over 1000.

I'm sort of surprised no one has addressed that with some scope mount points and a square rail or something like that.

It would need to be high precision stuff but have something like a normal scope tube so you can fit it on normal ring mounts on anything, but also two points with a flat base. On a rifle with a rail and matching flat base rings you could just drop it on and know it's flat to within a thou or two.

:unknown:
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Tonit » 19 May 2015, 1:40 pm

Sound like it has some merit, no one would want to spear head the change though I'm sure. For short-mid range shooters would be a great option.

Round rings do the job fine really, just need some fiddling which in theory you should only have to do once or twice.
.22-250 Howa Thumbhole Varminter + Weaver Classic 4-20x50
.308 Howa Hunter + Weaver Classic 2-10x50
Tonit
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by rsj223 » 02 Jun 2015, 10:30 pm

Well fingers are crossed for this weekend as my arm has a fair bit more movement and need some testing on the new rifles, so started to clean the grease/oil and whatever is in there and found copper so they must have fired them to test but never cleaned them?
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 02 Jun 2015, 10:39 pm

rsj223 wrote:Well fingers are crossed for this weekend as my arm has a fair bit more movement and need some testing on the new rifles, so started to clean the grease/oil and whatever is in there and found copper so they must have fired them to test but never cleaned them?

Not unusual to find copper fouling, most rifles are proof fired in the factory with a few rounds prior to boxing. Would be too much work cleaning them so they're left dirty.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by rsj223 » 02 Jun 2015, 11:02 pm

Good to know thanks
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Bourt » 03 Jun 2015, 1:11 pm

brett1868 wrote:Not unusual to find copper fouling, most rifles are proof fired in the factory with a few rounds prior to boxing. Would be too much work cleaning them so they're left dirty.

Yup... Covered with grease before storage as you found though rsj223 to prevent any corrosion so it's nothing to worry about.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by rsj223 » 09 Jun 2015, 12:27 am

Well got out to try set them up the .308 shot the group in the pic with Federal 150gr as per there recommended ammo.
The .223 not as good and managed one group at 22mm c to c with recommended ammo Federal 55gr both of these at 100mtr
My big stuff up was a sore arm and a body that had been resting for about the last 5 weeks had a hard time moving so did dumb things like adjusting the scope to the left instead of right, even the cleaning became almost impossible with my arm.
I used Outback ammo as well in both with some of these pushing out to 2inch groups with the best around 1.1/2 but all good for hunting, will set up again when I get a chance at the local range.
I'm getting a feeling that the scope on the .223 could be the problem with grouping as this scope is on its second rifle and gets pretty much the same groups its this one I got very cheap http://www.tacticalscope.co.uk/nikko-st ... -915-p.asp So if anyone can explain to me how or if this scope is a problem please do so.
Attachments
20150607_134636 - Copy.jpg
Federal 150rg Soft point @100mtr
20150607_134636 - Copy.jpg (202.42 KiB) Viewed 5615 times
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Jun 2015, 12:48 am

Maybe try swapping the scope of the 308? that way you will soon work out if its the scope or just the ammo it doesn't like. I take it you adjusted the parallax to 100m? not sure how good those scopes are (only cheapies) so wondering if changing down the mag a bit might make the groups smaller or not?

If it was me I'd put the scope from the 308 on and using the same ammo that shot ordinary and see what happens.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by rsj223 » 09 Jun 2015, 12:55 am

Never thought of swapping could be worth a go, the Nikko gets very average on full zoom and never thought to try it on about 10x or so to see if it changes, thanks you have give me some simple things to try at the range.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Jun 2015, 1:57 am

Yeah try the basics and see how it goes, shouldn't take too much to suss out if its the scope or not.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by rsj223 » 09 Jun 2015, 11:37 am

Just one thing I noticed with the .308 the bolt was hard to lift when ejecting a round but easy without one?
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by wayward » 10 Jun 2015, 1:58 pm

rsj223 wrote:My big stuff up was a sore arm and a body that had been resting for about the last 5 weeks had a hard time moving so did dumb things like adjusting the scope to the left instead of right, even the cleaning became almost impossible with my arm.

I busted my collar bone a while ago and stupidly went to the range too early with it. :oops:

Won't be doing that again.
wayward
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by rsj223 » 10 Jun 2015, 3:43 pm

Still giving me grief.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 14 Jun 2015, 10:31 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Yeah try the basics and see how it goes, shouldn't take too much to suss out if its the scope or not.

Managed to get them out today, I put the Boyds stock on the 223 and it was not happy with that so swapped the scope but all the same, put the original stock on and done up the screws fairly firm (noticed they were finger tight when I swapped the stock) and back to the old scope and bingo all the un doing re doing seemed to help it.
So both shooting fine and under 1 inch at 100mtrs, now thats fixed need to find a new toy :lol:
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Jun 2015, 11:35 pm

Yeah those screw tensions can make a diff alright, I don't over tighten mine much at all (boyds stocks) and they seem to shoot better that way. :unknown: Anyway you've solved the mystery as to why it didn't shoot so all good :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bark » 15 Jun 2015, 8:55 am

bigfellascott wrote:Yeah those screw tensions can make a diff alright, I don't over tighten mine much at all (boyds stocks) and they seem to shoot better that way. :unknown:

Experience seems to vary a lot for the benefit (or lack thereof) of screw tensions.

A lot of guys just do 'finger tight' and have no problems, others have to use their torque screwdriver to get it perfect or they can see double the size groups when it's not right.

Bark
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Jun 2015, 9:03 am

Bark wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Yeah those screw tensions can make a diff alright, I don't over tighten mine much at all (boyds stocks) and they seem to shoot better that way. :unknown:

Experience seems to vary a lot for the benefit (or lack thereof) of screw tensions.

A lot of guys just do 'finger tight' and have no problems, others have to use their torque screwdriver to get it perfect or they can see double the size groups when it's not right.

Yeah you have to have a fiddle with em and see what works for your particular rifle, I remember helping a fella with one of those cheap savage 223's (can't remember the model now sorry) but it was putting in ordinary groups with handloads (around 2-3" groups from memory) so I said lets have a little fiddle with the actions screws so we loosened them up and did them back up hand tight and then shot a group, and we just kept doing it until the groups were around 20c piece in size and left it at that (that's the best way I can find to tune a rifle without going to a lot of effort or expense, been doing it using that simple method for years now and it does work from my experience, I don't own a torque wrench (probably should get one) that way I could do the same with one of them and have a record of what works for each rifle, but this way works fine for now. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Usurper » 15 Jun 2015, 9:48 am

I know Ruger specify how much torque to use on their Hawkeyes. I can't think of any other brands off the top of my head which have a specific setting mentioned. If it was that important to the other brands they'd mention it. You'd think...
.308 CZ 550 American
.222 Tikka Varmint
.357 Mag Marlin 1894
Usurper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by rsj223 » 15 Jun 2015, 11:33 am

So maybe I had them to tight for the Boyds :thumbsdown: now it looks like I got some more testing to do :drinks:
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 15 Jun 2015, 12:15 pm

rsj223 wrote:So maybe I had them to tight for the Boyds :thumbsdown: now it looks like I got some more testing to do :drinks:

Torquing too tight in an unbedded stock can cause stress in the action and effect the rifle's performance. Then again, screws settling into new/unbedded timber will cause some variation as well.

Keep it in the plastic stock for now if it's shooting good.

In the meantime, put some pillars in the boyds and full length bed the action. It's a fiddly job but a fun project and worthwhile.

Mine is pillar and full length bedded. Just crank the action screws evenly and she shoots straight.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by RDobber » 16 Jun 2015, 1:10 pm

Gwion wrote:Just crank the action screws evenly and she shoots straight.

That's all I've ever done with mine too :thumbsup:
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles