My new Weatherby Vanguard S2's

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: My new Weatherby Vanguard S2's

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Jun 2015, 11:35 pm

Yeah those screw tensions can make a diff alright, I don't over tighten mine much at all (boyds stocks) and they seem to shoot better that way. :unknown: Anyway you've solved the mystery as to why it didn't shoot so all good :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bark » 15 Jun 2015, 8:55 am

bigfellascott wrote:Yeah those screw tensions can make a diff alright, I don't over tighten mine much at all (boyds stocks) and they seem to shoot better that way. :unknown:

Experience seems to vary a lot for the benefit (or lack thereof) of screw tensions.

A lot of guys just do 'finger tight' and have no problems, others have to use their torque screwdriver to get it perfect or they can see double the size groups when it's not right.

:unknown:
Bark
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Jun 2015, 9:03 am

Bark wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Yeah those screw tensions can make a diff alright, I don't over tighten mine much at all (boyds stocks) and they seem to shoot better that way. :unknown:

Experience seems to vary a lot for the benefit (or lack thereof) of screw tensions.

A lot of guys just do 'finger tight' and have no problems, others have to use their torque screwdriver to get it perfect or they can see double the size groups when it's not right.

:unknown:

Yeah you have to have a fiddle with em and see what works for your particular rifle, I remember helping a fella with one of those cheap savage 223's (can't remember the model now sorry) but it was putting in ordinary groups with handloads (around 2-3" groups from memory) so I said lets have a little fiddle with the actions screws so we loosened them up and did them back up hand tight and then shot a group, and we just kept doing it until the groups were around 20c piece in size and left it at that (that's the best way I can find to tune a rifle without going to a lot of effort or expense, been doing it using that simple method for years now and it does work from my experience, I don't own a torque wrench (probably should get one) that way I could do the same with one of them and have a record of what works for each rifle, but this way works fine for now. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Usurper » 15 Jun 2015, 9:48 am

I know Ruger specify how much torque to use on their Hawkeyes. I can't think of any other brands off the top of my head which have a specific setting mentioned. If it was that important to the other brands they'd mention it. You'd think...
.308 CZ 550 American
.222 Tikka Varmint
.357 Mag Marlin 1894
Usurper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by rsj223 » 15 Jun 2015, 11:33 am

So maybe I had them to tight for the Boyds :thumbsdown: now it looks like I got some more testing to do :drinks:
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 15 Jun 2015, 12:15 pm

rsj223 wrote:So maybe I had them to tight for the Boyds :thumbsdown: now it looks like I got some more testing to do :drinks:

Torquing too tight in an unbedded stock can cause stress in the action and effect the rifle's performance. Then again, screws settling into new/unbedded timber will cause some variation as well.

Keep it in the plastic stock for now if it's shooting good.

In the meantime, put some pillars in the boyds and full length bed the action. It's a fiddly job but a fun project and worthwhile.

Mine is pillar and full length bedded. Just crank the action screws evenly and she shoots straight.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by RDobber » 16 Jun 2015, 1:10 pm

Gwion wrote:Just crank the action screws evenly and she shoots straight.

That's all I've ever done with mine too :thumbsup:
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles