A interesting No4 Mk1

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

A interesting No4 Mk1

Post by Varmtr » 18 May 2015, 1:24 am

Found this suposed to be built at SAF if so would be I think quite rare.

http://www.lprgunsmith.com/detail_images.asp?id=40
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: A interesting No4 Mk1

Post by tarnagulla » 18 May 2015, 6:28 am

I think you will find that only the barrel was made at Lithgow. AFAIK SAF Lithgow never seriously contemplated the tooling up that would have been necessary to manufacture the No4 action.
No time or money before WWII, and shiploads of no 1 MkIII* rifles stored afterwards...
tarnagulla
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Bourt » 18 May 2015, 10:58 am

tarnagulla wrote:AFAIK SAF Lithgow never seriously contemplated the tooling up that would have been necessary to manufacture the No4 action.

Would the manufacturing requirements be that difficult? I'd have though it was a pretty simple action for another arms manufacturer to replicate.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by 1290 » 18 May 2015, 12:51 pm

No Aussie number 4s, only ever no.1s, even the Aussie version of the jungle carbine was based on the no.1 action while the Brit was no.4 based.

Lithgow rifles never got up to 'N' prefix as far as I know..... its probably a British action....maybe BSA (you need to take it out of the stock)
so Brit rifle with a 1970's vintage 30 cal barrel.....
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Chickenhawk » 19 May 2015, 1:34 pm

tarnagulla wrote:I think you will find that only the barrel was made at Lithgow.

False advertising I saw :lol: :sarcasm:
Chickenhawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Chronos » 19 May 2015, 4:51 pm

1290 wrote:No Aussie number 4s, only ever no.1s, even the Aussie version of the jungle carbine was based on the no.1 action while the Brit was no.4 based.

Lithgow rifles never got up to 'N' prefix as far as I know..... its probably a British action....maybe BSA (you need to take it out of the stock)
so Brit rifle with a 1970's vintage 30 cal barrel.....

the key is in the numbers, the 1 means it's matlby, Fazakerley made actions start with a 2 and for 3 for Shirley actions

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles