7600 jamming

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

7600 jamming

Post by Gippsland-Prepper » 18 May 2015, 7:10 pm

Hi all,

I bought a second hand 7600 in 308, it seems in not to bad of nick. I ordered some 125gr TNT projectiles and brass to reload some low recoil ammo (bad shoulder and elbow). I loaded them as per advise from my local gun shop owner, I loaded them as per ADI spec's 125 GR. SIE SP C.O.L 2.700'', as they did not list spec's for the 125gr TNT's I bought,

All was looking good, loaded a few into the 10 shot KKK mag I bought and tried to feed a few rounds through the 7600, and I was getting more jams then anything, so tried the factory 4 shot mag, and it is about as bad.

I had a closer look at the rounds I loaded and they seem to be getting shorter, the bullet is being pushed in due to jamming when trying to feed them up the barrel! Did I get wrong advice to load these TNT' at a C.O.L 2.700''?

There is a listing for the 130 GR. SPR HP on ADI website at a C.O.L of 2.615". Could the 7600 be jamming due to the C.O.L being to long?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

GP
Marlin BL 30-30
Rem 7600 308
Custom FVSR 22LR
Gippsland-Prepper
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: 7600 jamming

Post by Gippsland-Prepper » 19 May 2015, 1:44 pm

I have found some one else that has/had the same problem. But I think I have fixed it. When the bolt moves the bullet out of the mag the point of the bullet catches just before it goes into the barrel, so I bent the lips on the KKK mag until it was at least 90% right feeding wise. I also pulled the barrel off as it seemed the previous owner was very slack in cleaning it, I cleaned everything, oiled everything, and polished anything that had sharp edges just before where the bullet guides to before it seats into the barrel, and it seems to work/feed 100%!

I am going to order a Lucky13 mag, as I want to insure it feeds correct all the time as I don't think these KKK are very well made.

GP

As found on the net.

( hi to everyone, i have just joined up and would like to say its good to have a forum such as this. ok, i recently bought a 7600 police in .308 and took it out for the first time pig hunting here in australia, now after probably 5 or so rounds, it jammed. the front of the projectile would hit the base of the feed ramp and jam. i cleared the round only to have it happen on a regular basis. i thought it may have been my non-genuine 10 shot mags, but it does it with the standard 4 round mag, even tried different ammunition with no luck. i took it back to the dealer and they have had it for 6 weeks, they dont know when it will be back. im hoping anyone may have some experience with this issue or be of some assistance, look forward to any help, thank.)
Marlin BL 30-30
Rem 7600 308
Custom FVSR 22LR
Gippsland-Prepper
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Bourt » 19 May 2015, 4:06 pm

Not sure about your problem but hopefully the mag is the issue and a new one will sort you out.

Welcome to the forum :)
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Gippsland-Prepper » 19 May 2015, 4:27 pm

Bourt wrote:Not sure about your problem but hopefully the mag is the issue and a new one will sort you out.

Welcome to the forum :)

I think the above info pretty well sheds enough light on the jamming issue, nothing to do as I first thought with the COL, but more a combination of bad feeing mag (factory 4 and KKK) and it being a second hand rifle that looked like it was never cleaned, the polishing of the area where the point of the bullet travels as it is being loaded into the barrel helped as.

And thx for the welcome. :D
Marlin BL 30-30
Rem 7600 308
Custom FVSR 22LR
Gippsland-Prepper
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Sav » 19 May 2015, 7:39 pm

I have issues with any ammo that's not Remington and I also have heard heaps of people have issues with kkk mags wild dogs are the ones to go for
Sav
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Gippsland-Prepper » 19 May 2015, 8:41 pm

Sav wrote:I have issues with any ammo that's not Remington and I also have heard heaps of people have issues with kkk mags wild dogs are the ones to go for

I got it working pretty good now, but it took some time bending the lips on the KKK mag, more or less trail and error. I think having a round nose bullet will help with feeding problems as the problem I had was with the TNT bullets, they are very very pointy and without tuning the mag it was useless ammo as the tip kept on hitting on that ramp that feeds into the barrel (might still reduce the angle on it in time), I think it is working OK now, but I am going to go bush in a few days and blow some holes in stuff, and see how the 7600 performs, based on that I will make up my mind about getting the Lucky13 mag, although I can't find much on it besides a YouTube clip.
Marlin BL 30-30
Rem 7600 308
Custom FVSR 22LR
Gippsland-Prepper
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles