Need to buy my rifles AGAIN!

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Need to buy my rifles AGAIN!

Post by aaronjo » 18 May 2015, 8:16 pm

Well to cut a long story short, my order of a Howa .243 and a CZ452 .22LR has been cancelled and my money refunded.

Since I have to now repurchase my rifles again I'm thinking should I still stick with the .22lr and .243 combo for a good spread of hunting capability or maybe a different combo?

In WA and I guess majority of hunts will be pests like rabbits and foxes with the occasional goat/pig. Was considering a .223 and .308. Overkill for rabbits but will gimme a bit more range for foxes and the .308 will be more than enough for goats/pigs.

Who knows, I might head up North for a camel with the .308 one day...

Thoughts?
Beretta 87 Target 22LR
Walther PPQ M2 9mm
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .223
aaronjo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Re: Need to buy my rifles AGAIN!

Post by Chronos » 18 May 2015, 9:05 pm

What the???

that's a bit strange, anyway

it's hard to make an argument against the combo...so I won't :lol:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by aaronjo » 18 May 2015, 9:08 pm

Which combo Chronos?

.22 & .243 or .223 & .308?!?
Beretta 87 Target 22LR
Walther PPQ M2 9mm
aaronjo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 18 May 2015, 9:16 pm

Personaly I would drop the 243
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 18 May 2015, 9:33 pm

aaronjo wrote:Which combo Chronos?

.22 & .243 or .223 & .308?!?

"I'm thinking should I still stick with the .22lr and .243 combo for a good spread of hunting capability "

.22lr for rabbits, foxes and cats out to 50m and .243 for foxes and cats out to 300m then pigs and medium deer out to 200m

if you ended up with a shotty you could swap the .22lr for a 17HMR and stretch the range out to 200m on little furry things

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by aaronjo » 18 May 2015, 9:41 pm

Aarrgghh!!!

This forum is tempting me to spend more money. Never really considered a shotty coz I reckon it's range is so limited (not bagging them in any way, just my newbness).

So possibly a shotty for close work, 17hmr for little teddy bear like things to about 150-200m and a (.243, .270, .308, 6.5x55) for bigger stuff?

Honestly, the more I learn the harder it gets to make choices....
Beretta 87 Target 22LR
Walther PPQ M2 9mm
aaronjo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Chronos » 18 May 2015, 9:52 pm

aaronjo wrote:Aarrgghh!!!

This forum is tempting me to spend more money. Never really considered a shotty coz I reckon it's range is so limited (not bagging them in any way, just my newbness).

So possibly a shotty for close work, 17hmr for little teddy bear like things to about 150-200m and a (.243, .270, .308, 6.5x55) for bigger stuff?

don't let me influence you mate, look at my sig line, there's still a few gaps there i'd like to fill.... :thumbsup:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by aaronjo » 18 May 2015, 10:05 pm

There's a gap?!?
Beretta 87 Target 22LR
Walther PPQ M2 9mm
aaronjo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by KWhorenet » 18 May 2015, 10:21 pm

Chronos wrote:

don't let me influence you mate, look at my sig line, there's still a few gaps there i'd like to fill.... :thumbsup:

Chronos

Bloody hell Chronos,

How does your credit card sleep at night knowing you are soooo under gunned and have such gaping gaps visible :unknown:

I think the only way is up and much wider for your cals
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Chronos » 18 May 2015, 10:34 pm

KWhorenet wrote:
Chronos wrote:

Chronos

Bloody hell Chronos,

How does your credit card sleep at night knowing you are soooo under gunned and have such gaping gaps visible :unknown:

I think the only way is up and much wider for your cals

:lol: :lol: :lol: no credit cards here mate, learned that lesson long ago :thumbsup:

the truth is you'll always want something else to play with. many of us started out saying "i just want a do it all gun" but you soon find other interests.

there's a few rifles i've sold i regret and a few i'd still like to own but it takes time to put the money together.

Chronos

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by aaronjo » 19 May 2015, 1:11 am

Considering a 17hmr and .308 and my new potential purchase. Can still do what my original setup can but better I hope.

But seriously I can't really go wrong can I?

Worse case I'll just need to buy more guns to fill in the gaps (new term that I'm just loving, thanks Chronos).
Beretta 87 Target 22LR
Walther PPQ M2 9mm
aaronjo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by David Brown » 19 May 2015, 8:35 am

There are SO MANY good rifles available these days, it is bordering on ridiculous.

My suggestion is this….and to keep them all the same so you are familiar with the mechanics. Ruger American's. They shoot REALLY well, and are very well supported and the price is amazing.

Get one in .22LR for bunnies. Get a .223 for the mid range and a .308 or whatever you really want for the bigger work. They have an excellent combo deal with a Redfield Revolution mounted for the centre fires. If you want a fancier scope take the Redfield off and mount it n the .22. http://www.ruger.com/products/americanR ... odels.html
http://www.ruger.com/products/americanR ... odels.html

Now we could do the same in the Weatherby Vanguards which are on special at the moment, or the Tikka T3 series, or……or……or…….another dozen or so more!

So many good choices. But these are good bang for buck.
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by sandgroperbill » 19 May 2015, 10:33 am

Ruger americans are excellent rifles, even ignoring the price, they are still excellent rifles. The redfield scopes are pretty good, too (I purchased one of these combos as they felt just right for me. Fit my shoulder, felt completely natural, excellent action and excellent trigger. I was quite prepared to pay a lot more for a new rifle than i wound up paying, but i got an excellent rifle for very cheap).
Imho, don't worry about the .17, go the .22. Ammo costs more for the .17, especially if you are getting a .223
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by rsj223 » 19 May 2015, 2:23 pm

My 3 minimum, .22, .223, .308 one down side to this is 2 lots of cleaning equipment, the .17 to me is a great thing and if money was not a problem I would swap out the .22 for this
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by David Brown » 19 May 2015, 3:24 pm

Two lots of cleaning gear? Nahhh just the tips and they are a few bucks worth…..$30 covers it. You screw/unscrew enough during cleaning so a different tip makes bugger all difference.

Of course if you had to clean a lot of them you could just set up rods and leave them all set up. And actually the cost of doing that actually makes sense!

you have just encouraged me to expend some cash at the LGS ;-)
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 19 May 2015, 3:36 pm

David Brown wrote:Two lots of cleaning gear? Nahhh just the tips and they are a few bucks worth…..$30 covers it. You screw/unscrew enough during cleaning so a different tip makes bugger all difference.

Of course if you had to clean a lot of them you could just set up rods and leave them all set up. And actually the cost of doing that actually makes sense!

you have just encouraged me to expend some cash at the LGS ;-)

Good luck cleaning a 22lr, 223 and a 308 with the same cleaning rod.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by FuzzyM » 19 May 2015, 5:54 pm

I use an otis kit for my .22 and .223.
Got a remington knockoff of an otis kit cheap for the 303.
Prefer the simple pull through method.
But that's just me.

Got a couple of bore snakes too.

Incidentally, my 30 caliber fittings fit on my otis pull through cable with a small adapter.
So if you consider an otis cable to be a cleaning rod, then I can do all three with it Chronos ;)

Incidentally, I own three similar calibers to what you are after.
I use the .22 thew most as it's quiet and cheap. But I am in the outer suburbs of Melbourne.
I prefer the .223 for hunting foxes humanely.
Haven't got one yet though :(
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by David Brown » 20 May 2015, 12:02 am

I must have lots of luck. Or I am using the wrong words. Different tips same rod…..for my 22 cals and .30 cals.

With a collection like you have you could need more gear than me!

So where am I going wrong ?
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 20 May 2015, 6:16 am

David Brown wrote:

I must have lots of luck. Or I am using the wrong words. Different tips same rod…..for my 22 cals and .30 cals.

I just mean you'll need a rimfire rod to ckead a .22, chances are that rod will flex excessively when cleaning a .308 rubbing against the bore and potentially causing damage to the lands, throat and even rifling further down the bore. This is why you must use a bore guide whenever possible. U have a universal one but it won't fit in my .204.

I have s few rods, a .20 cal rod for the .204R. These have a different thread as the tips are smaller. I also have a couple of stainless and carbon fibre .22 rods for .223, .243 and 6mm then .30cal rods for the 7mm, .308 and .338.

I prefer stainless rods but they can get bent.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by fawksel » 22 May 2015, 11:48 am

David Brown wrote:I must have lots of luck. Or I am using the wrong words. Different tips same rod…..for my 22 cals and .30 cals.

Typically you'd get a larger diameter rod for the .30 cal so there is less flex it in, like Chronos said.

Pro shot for example do a .22 cal rod and a .27 cal one designed for .270 and up barrels.
Marlin 1894 .44 Magnum
Remington 770 Stainless Camo .270 Win
Mossberg 802 Plinkster 22LR
fawksel
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Bosbefok » 03 Jun 2015, 11:19 am

If I had to start again.... 22lr or 22mag (maybe get Cz 455 and have both plus 17hmr!!). Then 270win (great for anything from foxes, goats or camels...) These two make a great combo. When it is time to expand .223rem and a 30-06 to round things out nicely!!
Winchester 250 .22lr
Remington 673 .243
Remington Cld .25-06
Ruger Hawkeye ll .308
Rossi .44 mag
Bosbefok
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by lole » 03 Jun 2015, 1:25 pm

Bosbefok wrote:If I had to start again.... 22lr or 22mag (maybe get Cz 455 and have both plus 17hmr!!). Then 270win (great for anything from foxes, goats or camels...) These two make a great combo. When it is time to expand .223rem and a 30-06 to round things out nicely!!

I see you've got a bit of a collection in your signature there.

You could always move on a few of them (if you can bare to part with them :lol:) and get the 223 and 30-06.

Swap the Ruger .308 for the 30-06 and the .243 for the .223? Your 25-06 will cover you for what the .243 did obviously.

2c :)
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bosbefok » 03 Jun 2015, 3:03 pm

lole wrote:
Bosbefok wrote:If I had to start again.... 22lr or 22mag (maybe get Cz 455 and have both plus 17hmr!!). Then 270win (great for anything from foxes, goats or camels...) These two make a great combo. When it is time to expand .223rem and a 30-06 to round things out nicely!!

I see you've got a bit of a collection in your signature there.

You could always move on a few of them (if you can bare to part with them :lol:) and get the 223 and 30-06.

Swap the Ruger .308 for the 30-06 and the .243 for the .223? Your 25-06 will cover you for what the .243 did obviously.

2c :)

Nah bud, I'm still trying to fill the "gap" between my .243 and the 25-06...
Winchester 250 .22lr
Remington 673 .243
Remington Cld .25-06
Ruger Hawkeye ll .308
Rossi .44 mag
Bosbefok
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Baronvonrort » 03 Jun 2015, 5:55 pm

If you want to eat free range duck for dinner you need a shotty, not a good idea to aim a centrefire/rimfire at the sky who knows where it could land if you miss.

You could probably drop the .22lr/17hmr and use trail boss in a .243w for a lower velocity option if you reload and are keen.
If I could only have 2 centrefire it would be a .223 and 7mm-08,i would still need a rimfire and shotty so I reckon 4 is about the minimum number.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 03 Jun 2015, 6:44 pm

Just to chuck the cat in amongst the canaries,,,,,,,,,

As for combinations that would make your mouth water,,,,, how about the following (dream) possibility ????

Akkar put out the "Akkar 3"

A triple barrelled 12g.

Wouldnt it be great to be able to choose your own combo such as,, 12g / .223 / 30/06

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 04 Jun 2015, 1:14 pm

Wouldnt it be great to be able to choose your own combo such as,, 12g / .223 / 30/06

Ask and you shall receive :)

http://www.baikalcanada.com/rifles_combo_94.htm

How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 04 Jun 2015, 2:17 pm

brett1868 wrote:

Ask and you shall receive :)

http://www.baikalcanada.com/rifles_combo_94.htm

They truly are a nice looking F/arm.

However,, my DREAMTIME fantasy was for the AKKAR triple barrel piece to have a similar combination to 12g / .223 / 30/06 all in the one F/Arm

:crazy: :twisted:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by SendIt » 04 Jun 2015, 4:12 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Wouldnt it be great to be able to choose your own combo such as,, 12g / .223 / 30/06

Put me down for one :thumbsup:
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 04 Jun 2015, 7:59 pm

However,, my DREAMTIME fantasy was for the AKKAR triple barrel piece to have a similar combination to 12g / .223 / 30/06 all in the one F/Arm

Sighting would be interesting but not impossible. I know there's a survival type 12Ga take down combo on the market that can take barrel inserts for .357, 44Mag, and I think 22LR, 22WMR & 17HMR. Providing the action on the Akkar is strong enough I'm sure a barrel insert could be machined up for it legalities aside that is. I even have a design in mind for it, machine the rear of the insert with same dimensions as 12Ga then use screw in choke type inserts to support the muzzle but not restrict fore / aft movement during recoil. Simple spring type extractor coupled to existing extractor solves the loading / unloading problem.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 04 Jun 2015, 8:57 pm

Everyone needs a 22lr. Even my wife has one!

17hmr... about as expensive to shoot as reloading for 223rem.

My personal solution to this problem is the 22lr, 223short (wildcat), 7mm08rem, 12g (then a 223rem and a 410 and probably a 284win when money allows).

22lr = up to fox size game out to 50m or so
223short = up to roo (head shot) sized game out to 200 (cheaper to run, quieter and even lower charge than 223rem)
7-08 = pigs. goats, up to sambar sized game out to 300 (mostly a lot closer) and club fclass
12g = snakes, things in trees and pests in the bush.

then (but only if i find myself with money to splurge) ...
223rem because i enjoy shooting it and i want a Lithgow Crossover 102 in left hand
410 because "the wife needs it" (it is a ladies gun, after all)
284win because it has more range and heavier bullet choice than the 7-08 for f-class

Just playing along because the OP is obviously not confused enough already! :drinks:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles