CZ 527 Varmint vs Tikka T3 Varmint vs Sako A7

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: CZ 527 Varmint vs Tikka T3 Varmint vs Sako A7

Post by aaronjo » 26 May 2015, 11:38 pm

Cough cough, friend is a licenced firearm dealer, cough, can hold for me, cough....

You can fill in the rest of the blanks, no names shall be mentioned...
Beretta 87 Target 22LR
Walther PPQ M2 9mm
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .223
aaronjo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by sandgroperbill » 26 May 2015, 11:42 pm

You lucky mug
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Hercl » 27 May 2015, 4:22 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:Its WA, remember?

The cursed land :lol:
What is this "too many rifles" you speak of?
Hercl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by aaronjo » 27 May 2015, 6:02 pm

I'm thinking one mag with 55gr for the smaller stuff and another mag with heavier rounds for anything bigger (within reason) that I might encounter, thus the 1/8 twist, a degree of flexibility.

Plus the heavier stuff works better for paper killing I hear...
Beretta 87 Target 22LR
Walther PPQ M2 9mm
aaronjo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 27 May 2015, 7:12 pm

aaronjo wrote:I'm thinking one mag with 55gr for the smaller stuff and another mag with heavier rounds for anything bigger (within reason) that I might encounter, thus the 1/8 twist, a degree of flexibility.

I reckon its better to just use the one load and learn its trajectory well, I couldn't imagine unloading a round or mag to swap to another one to shoot diff types of ferals, I'd rather put the time into taking a well placed shot myself.

But each to their own of course. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Franky » 27 May 2015, 7:27 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
aaronjo wrote:I'm thinking one mag with 55gr for the smaller stuff and another mag with heavier rounds for anything bigger (within reason) that I might encounter, thus the 1/8 twist, a degree of flexibility.

I reckon its better to just use the one load and learn its trajectory well, I couldn't imagine unloading a round or mag to swap to another one to shoot diff types of ferals, I'd rather put the time into taking a well placed shot myself.

Of Course
even if it is wrong. :thumbsup:
Sounds like a great idea I do it myself 55grn Vmax and 70Grn Speers works a treat out to 250m
A wise man told me once, "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."
Franky
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 27 May 2015, 7:33 pm

Franky wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

Of Course
Sounds like a great idea I do it myself 55grn Vmax and 70Grn Speers works a treat out to 250m

What can't you kill with a 55gn that you can with the 70gn at 250m?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Franky » 27 May 2015, 8:03 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Franky wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

Of Course

What can you can't you kill with a 55gn that you can with the 70gn at 250m?

Well it is very obvious that you know very little about Ballistics and would explain your need for a 204 rifle. :thumbsup: Let me enlighten you 55grn ballistic tips will blow up on thin skinned animals like rabbits and foxes and most important roo's.Were the 70 grain Speers push through larger animals ie:pigs goats and deer and will cause much more Hydrostatic shock normally killing the animal stone motherless dead. So my friend there is a huge difference between projectiles and powder charges for different game consider yourself educated. :mrgreen: Not all of us shoot rabbits and foxes you know
Last edited by Franky on 27 May 2015, 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Franky
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Franky » 27 May 2015, 8:13 pm

Here this might help you out Scott

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrostatic_shock
Franky
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Bosbefok » 27 May 2015, 8:20 pm

Was thinking of the FN TSR in 223. They are also around $1500. Anyone have any experience with these?
Winchester 250 .22lr
Remington 673 .243
Remington Cld .25-06
Ruger Hawkeye ll .308
Rossi .44 mag
Bosbefok
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by KWhorenet » 27 May 2015, 8:21 pm

mj.png
mj.png (56.54 KiB) Viewed 6775 times
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by aaronjo » 27 May 2015, 10:21 pm

Hey guys I say lets all play nice and just let the newbie (me) make my own choices and fall flat on my face miserably!

No need to argue at all.
Beretta 87 Target 22LR
Walther PPQ M2 9mm
aaronjo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 27 May 2015, 10:35 pm

Franky wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
Franky wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

Of Course

What can you can't you kill with a 55gn that you can with the 70gn at 250m?

Well it is very obvious that you know very little about Ballistics and would explain your need for a 204 rifle. :thumbsup: Let me enlighten you 55grn ballistic tips will blow up on thin skinned animals like rabbits and foxes and most important roo's.Were the 70 grain Speers push through larger animals ie:pigs goats and deer and will cause much more Hydrostatic shock normally killing the animal stone motherless dead. So my friend there is a huge difference between projectiles and powder charges for different game consider yourself educated. :mrgreen: Not all of us shoot rabbits and foxes you know

Shot placement my friend is the key to dropping any of the larger size animals with lighter cal/projectiles - plenty of large animals have been dropped with light fragile projectiles shot from cals like the 20cals (Deer, Pigs, Goats etc) just need to know how to shoot I guess :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by North East » 27 May 2015, 10:47 pm

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: ....and whether it's a legal calibre for the game selected.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 27 May 2015, 11:06 pm

North East wrote::thumbsup: :thumbsup: ....and whether it's a legal calibre for the game selected.

Yep that depends where you are - in NZ the shoot deer with 204, 222, 223, 22.250 etc with great success, here we aren't very good shots so we have to compensate with bigger cals :D

The humble little 222 was the go to cal for culling deer in NZ back in the day (no doubt still gets used by some), still gets used in Scotland for some of their Deer hunting too (Roe Deer from memory). :thumbsup:

I don't think they have Cal Restrictions in NSW for Deer, just recommendations from memory - Not that I bother chasing em anymore, too old and broken to be doing that caper these days, same with pigs and goats sadly (Although I'd happily roll em if they made the mistake of being in the open paddock) :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by North East » 27 May 2015, 11:18 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
North East wrote::thumbsup: :thumbsup: ....and whether it's a legal calibre for the game selected.

Yep that depends where you are - in NZ the shoot deer with 204, 222, 223, 22.250 etc with great success, here we aren't very good shots so we have to compensate with bigger cals :D

The humble little 222 was the go to cal for culling deer in NZ back in the day (no doubt still gets used by some), still gets used in Scotland for some of their Deer hunting too (Roe Deer from memory). :thumbsup:

I don't think they have Cal Restrictions in NSW for Deer, just recommendations from memory - Not that I bother chasing em anymore, too old and broken to be doing that caper these days, same with pigs and goats sadly (Although I'd happily roll em if they made the mistake of being in the open paddock) :D

I think here in Victoria they have over compensated for poor shooting practices. But I'll live that....I don't mind. Some people just have issues the recoil of a large calibre firearm. But I wouldn't go over .30-06 though....no need to. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 27 May 2015, 11:22 pm

North East wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

I think here in Victoria they have over compensated for poor shooting practices. But I'll live that....I don't mind. Some people just have issues the recoil of a large calibre firearm. But I wouldn't go over .30-06 though....no need to. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yeah it happens when pen pushers have to justify their existence - as we know shot placement is the key to a successful outcome. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 27 May 2015, 11:59 pm

110gr .308 from a .30-06 case would be legal where a hot loaded 140gr 243 is illegal?
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by North East » 28 May 2015, 12:40 am

sandgroperbill wrote:110gr .308 from a .30-06 case would be legal where a hot loaded 140gr 243 is illegal?

The .308 mix up would be legal on Fallow, Hog and Chital deer in Victoria. As would a .243.

It's illegal to shoot Sambar, Red and Rusa deer in Victoria with a .243....must be minimum .270.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 28 May 2015, 12:44 am

North East wrote:
sandgroperbill wrote:110gr .308 from a .30-06 case would be legal where a hot loaded 140gr 243 is illegal?

The .308 mix up would be legal on Fallow, Hog and Chital deer in Victoria. As would a .243.

It's illegal to shoot Sambar, Red and Rusa deer in Victoria with a .243....must be minimum .270.

They are a fair ol lump of a deer no doubt about it. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 28 May 2015, 12:54 am

My bad. I was trying to point out how simply applying a minimum caliber is a less than ideal approach.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by North East » 28 May 2015, 1:01 am

sandgroperbill wrote:My bad. I was trying to point out how simply applying a minimum caliber is a less than ideal approach.

It's not ideal but we live with it. Most people use a .30-06 and then they can clobber anything with it.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 28 May 2015, 1:56 am

Franky wrote:Here this might help you out Scott

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrostatic_shock

Thanks for the links Westy, I'll have a look at em one day. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by KWhorenet » 28 May 2015, 2:58 am

Franky wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
Franky wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
aaronjo wrote:

Never go full retard.png
Never go full retard.png (105.12 KiB) Viewed 6507 times
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Franky » 28 May 2015, 6:53 am

Thanks guys :thumbsup:
Franky
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by aaronjo » 28 May 2015, 5:20 pm

Any recommendations for factory ammo to get in 55gr and heavier for my rifle?

Not reloading yet...
Beretta 87 Target 22LR
Walther PPQ M2 9mm
aaronjo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Franky » 28 May 2015, 5:22 pm

Have you looked @ the new ADI Ammo pretty good and pretty cheap
Franky
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by aaronjo » 28 May 2015, 5:25 pm

It was funny when I brought in my Vortex 6.5-20x52 to the shop to measure up for rings and the owner said he bets I'll get rid of it in a jiffy and buy another scope!

Maybe I've bought a dud scope....
Beretta 87 Target 22LR
Walther PPQ M2 9mm
aaronjo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Monty » 01 Jun 2015, 11:11 am

Any chance he had "better" option there at the time he was suggesting you buy from him?

What a coincidence :lol:
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 01 Jun 2015, 12:06 pm

nothing wrong with vortex. from what I've heard, they're good clear scopes. He's either trying to make an extra sale, thinks the scope is too heavy or too cumbersome, or thinks maybe the magnification is a bit high for .223?
It should definitely prove a capable scope. Even if you do change the scope on that rifle, it will probably be so you can put that scope on another rifle :-)
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles