CZ 527 Varmint vs Tikka T3 Varmint vs Sako A7

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: CZ 527 Varmint vs Tikka T3 Varmint vs Sako A7

Post by North East » 28 May 2015, 12:40 am

sandgroperbill wrote:110gr .308 from a .30-06 case would be legal where a hot loaded 140gr 243 is illegal?

The .308 mix up would be legal on Fallow, Hog and Chital deer in Victoria. As would a .243.

It's illegal to shoot Sambar, Red and Rusa deer in Victoria with a .243....must be minimum .270.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 28 May 2015, 12:44 am

North East wrote:
sandgroperbill wrote:110gr .308 from a .30-06 case would be legal where a hot loaded 140gr 243 is illegal?

The .308 mix up would be legal on Fallow, Hog and Chital deer in Victoria. As would a .243.

It's illegal to shoot Sambar, Red and Rusa deer in Victoria with a .243....must be minimum .270.

They are a fair ol lump of a deer no doubt about it. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 28 May 2015, 12:54 am

My bad. I was trying to point out how simply applying a minimum caliber is a less than ideal approach.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by North East » 28 May 2015, 1:01 am

sandgroperbill wrote:My bad. I was trying to point out how simply applying a minimum caliber is a less than ideal approach.

It's not ideal but we live with it. Most people use a .30-06 and then they can clobber anything with it.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 28 May 2015, 1:56 am

Franky wrote:Here this might help you out Scott

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrostatic_shock

Thanks for the links Westy, I'll have a look at em one day. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by KWhorenet » 28 May 2015, 2:58 am

Franky wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
Franky wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
aaronjo wrote:
Well it is very obvious that you know very little about Ballistics and would explain your need for a 204 rifle. :thumbsup: Let me enlighten you 55grn ballistic tips will blow up on thin skinned animals like rabbits and foxes and most important roo's.Were the 70 grain Speers push through larger animals ie:pigs goats and deer and will cause much more Hydrostatic shock normally killing the animal stone motherless dead. So my friend there is a huge difference between projectiles and powder charges for different game consider yourself educated. :mrgreen: Not all of us shoot rabbits and foxes you know

Never go full retard.png
Never go full retard.png (105.12 KiB) Viewed 6468 times
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Franky » 28 May 2015, 6:53 am

Thanks guys :thumbsup:
A wise man told me once, "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."
Franky
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by aaronjo » 28 May 2015, 5:20 pm

Any recommendations for factory ammo to get in 55gr and heavier for my rifle?

Not reloading yet...
Beretta 87 Target 22LR
Walther PPQ M2 9mm
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .223
aaronjo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Franky » 28 May 2015, 5:22 pm

Have you looked @ the new ADI Ammo pretty good and pretty cheap
Franky
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by aaronjo » 28 May 2015, 5:25 pm

It was funny when I brought in my Vortex 6.5-20x52 to the shop to measure up for rings and the owner said he bets I'll get rid of it in a jiffy and buy another scope!

Maybe I've bought a dud scope....
Beretta 87 Target 22LR
Walther PPQ M2 9mm
aaronjo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Monty » 01 Jun 2015, 11:11 am

Any chance he had "better" option there at the time he was suggesting you buy from him?

What a coincidence :lol:
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 01 Jun 2015, 12:06 pm

nothing wrong with vortex. from what I've heard, they're good clear scopes. He's either trying to make an extra sale, thinks the scope is too heavy or too cumbersome, or thinks maybe the magnification is a bit high for .223?
It should definitely prove a capable scope. Even if you do change the scope on that rifle, it will probably be so you can put that scope on another rifle :-)
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by aaronjo » 01 Jun 2015, 12:29 pm

He didn't try to sell me another but just mentioned that he actually had a similar one to mine and used it once and sold it.

Back to an earlier question, anyone can recommend factory ammo for the Tikka Varmint 1/8 twist in 223?
Beretta 87 Target 22LR
Walther PPQ M2 9mm
aaronjo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by sandgroperbill » 01 Jun 2015, 12:36 pm

I don't have a tikka in .223, but I'll start with a couple of suggestions.
Try a Winchester bulk pack (50 pack of 55gr PSP), some OSA in game king and OSA in blitz king. .223 ammo with heavier pills is available, but a little more limited. Maybe also try some hornady superformance?
The Winchester bulk packs work well in my .223 1/8, and they're less than $1 a round. I also have some OSA and Aussie Outback, but haven't had a chance to try these, yet.
Grab a few boxes of different brands and see which your rifle likes most. Every rifle is different.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by sandgroperbill » 01 Jun 2015, 12:42 pm

As for the scope, the only reason I can think of is perhaps the magnification is too high? But that depends on what/where you hunt, ie, bush, open paddocks, etc. I run a 3-9x40 on my .223 and it works quite well, but I hunt in both very open areas as well as bush paddocks. I can't say I've heard anything bad about vortex.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 01 Jun 2015, 1:06 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:As for the scope, the only reason I can think of is perhaps the magnification is too high? But that depends on what/where you hunt, ie, bush, open paddocks, etc. I run a 3-9x40 on my .223 and it works quite well, but I hunt in both very open areas as well as bush paddocks. I can't say I've heard anything bad about vortex.

I can - mates got one of the PST I think it is and it was ordinary to look through on the high mag range, it tracked well but the high mag image was a bit like looking through a dirty window type thing, just wasn't right, he actually sent it back and they sent him a new one from memory and it wasn't any better either, he's not too happy about dropping $1k on a scope that's like that I can tell ya, its useable but not the best I'll put it that way.

The Meopta's seem to get a good rap but can have issues with bolt handle clearance due to the big arse ocular housing on em, the Zeiss Conquest aren't a bad scope either as are some of the Nikon range of scopes, Leupold seem ok, Swaro, Benders, Khales etc all good - I guess it comes down to what you want to spend and what its main intended purpose will be as to what brand/mag range/features you go with, for hunting I say keep it simple and for long range type thing go something of decent quality especially if you're fiddling with dials a lot.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 01 Jun 2015, 1:16 pm

Agree completely, I don't target shoot (at least not yet, maybe one day), I just hunt, so I like nice, clear, simple 4plex scopes that give a good clear picture at all magnifications.

As for choosing a scope, that's why I like to try before I buy. Check it out properly, look through it through the entire magnification range and make sure the eye relief is right for me.

It would really suck to drop a pile of money on something that just isn't quite right.

Shame about your mate's vortex. It's good to know and be aware of, though.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Franky » 01 Jun 2015, 1:33 pm

If you want the best scope on the market with the clearest glass for the $$$$$$ just go out and buy a Sightron- Japanese price with European glass quality.
At least do yourself a favour and check one out IMHO
Franky
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by aaronjo » 01 Jun 2015, 2:31 pm

When I first heard Swarovski made scopes I was like what?!?

Then I learnt that they're high end as well!
Beretta 87 Target 22LR
Walther PPQ M2 9mm
aaronjo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by south » 02 Jun 2015, 10:49 am

sandgroperbill wrote:As for the scope, the only reason I can think of is perhaps the magnification is too high? But that depends on what/where you hunt, ie, bush, open paddocks, etc. I run a 3-9x40 on my .223 and it works quite well, but I hunt in both very open areas as well as bush paddocks. I can't say I've heard anything bad about vortex.

A little extra magnification never bother me but having it there seems to get up some peoples nose who prefer less.

Just don't use it that high if you don't need :unknown:
south
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Gwion » 02 Jun 2015, 11:09 am

Trying to acquire a target with a scope up close can be a pain. Learnt that the hard way. Fixed 6x on my wife's 22lr and with a target 10m away and moving it's near impossible. 3-9x on my 223 and it's easier set at min than it is on the 4-12x on my 22lr.

New scope just ordered is 2.5-17.5x (for new rifle on it's way). Hopefully right for scrub shooting as well as longer range stuff.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bluerob » 02 Jun 2015, 11:48 am

Franky wrote:Have you looked @ the new ADI Ammo pretty good and pretty cheap

Their .308 stuff is pretty good I'm finding. They are using Sierra Match King, 165gn pills. Shoots great out of my Mark X/GRS stock.

Ammo for the T3, 1:8?

I've got the same rifle, also in a GRS stock. 1:8 twist also.

I'm finding that the Winchester Match ammo to be great, but ain't cheap. The steel cased Match ammo from Hornady is pretty good also. I think they are 65gn pills. Voldymort had them on special, but,......

Avoid buying Sellier & Bellot in their Match grade (comes in a red box). Absolute rubbish. Varying velocities and groups like a shotgun plus filthy dirty powder. Nice looking, but, don't work that well.

I'm reloading .223 with Nosler Custom Comps, 69 grain with Benchmark powder and getting very good results. I'm only target shooting.

Also, look at projectilewarehouse.com.au

They have some VLD pills in the 60+ gn pills. I'm yet to try these, but, they get a good report from mates that are using them.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Herdsman » 04 Jun 2015, 1:49 pm

Gwion wrote:Fixed 6x on my wife's 22lr and with a target 10m away and moving it's near impossible. 3-9x on my 223 and it's easier set at min than it is on the 4-12x on my 22lr.

Yeah 6x is too high.

3-4 at the bottom end is fine though, IMO.
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Jun 2015, 4:25 pm

So franky. What happens if 1 projectile shoots say 2" to the left at 100 mtrs as well as higher or lower. Wouldnt this be a recipee for poor projectile placement?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 20 May 2017, 10:38 pm

Comes down to money i think first rifle i purchased was a sako 85 timber varmint in 243 i can't stress enough how good of a gun they are. The one down side is when the time comes to buy something else you will have the "sako" curse and turn your nose at most other guns . I also have a tikka super varmint also a great gun but you can see that it is a compromise not in a big way but a little cheaper. I took my 243 hunting last month hit everything it was pointed at. However i was extremely over cautious not to mark it. End of the day match it to what you want to do.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles