Bringing Lee Enfield Over From UK

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Bringing Lee Enfield Over From UK

Post by grizzly » 07 Jun 2015, 7:19 am

Hi All,

I'm moving to Sydney from the UK at the end of the year and looking to bring my Lee Enfield with me. I'm thinking of getting a dealer here to hold it and send it over when I have joined a club and have all the paperwork, licence etc. in place. I bought it mint and unfired a couple of years ago and it's doubled in value in the UK since so don't really want to let it go. Also has some sentimental value being a Pom so would be great to bring it with me.

Does anyone know of any ranges in Sydney that would be suitable to join to get my CAT B licence? I quite like informal clubs, nothing too serious, just a good group of people that get together and shoot for fun. Maybe the odd bit of gong shooting etc.

This is my current range:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq7t2geSxXc

I also want to get into IPSC pistol but I understand you guys tend to seperate your disciplines and clubs. Is that correct? e.g.. one club for rifle and another for pistol?

Thanks,

Grizzly
grizzly
Recruit
Recruit

United Kingdom

Re: Bringing Lee Enfield Over From UK

Post by 1290 » 07 Jun 2015, 3:39 pm

Fazakerley? No.2 huh....Nice.

You know we have plenty of enfields here? :lol: :thumbsup: Probably a great deal easier to offload it over there and pick up a nice example here..... but if its sentimental then go for it. Send an email to Customs to confirm, but I think without a licence in Aus, with PTA and import permit, might be a bit of an ordeal...

Maybe get it sent over to a local licence holder then transfer to yourself once you're set up...
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 07 Jun 2015, 4:05 pm

grizzly wrote:Hi All,

I'm moving to Sydney from the UK at the end of the year and looking to bring my Lee Enfield with me. I'm thinking of getting a dealer here to hold it and send it over when I have joined a club and have all the paperwork, licence etc. in place.

I also want to get into IPSC pistol but I understand you guys tend to seperate your disciplines and clubs. Is that correct? e.g.. one club for rifle and another for pistol?

Thanks,

Grizzly

You can bring it in yourself if you have a license,permit to acquire and a B709 for customs,customs will seize it a dealer will have to pick it up and register it for you before handing it over to you,my LGS charges $200 to pick up from customs no difference for 1 or 2 guns.

The best thing might be to contact Police here and see if you can apply for a license and permit to acquire for a gun you already own to bring it with you when you migrate here,is the LE registered to you in the UK?
www.police.nsw.gov.au/services/firearms

If you came here as a tourist for a hunting safari you could bring your Cat B gun here for hunting,check out international permits and then ask them why you have to wait when you wouldn't have to if you came here for a hunting safari. :mrgreen:

Category H license for pistols,read police link for more details.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by grizzly » 07 Jun 2015, 7:29 pm

1290 wrote:Fazakerley? No.2 huh....Nice.

You know we have plenty of enfields here? :lol: :thumbsup: Probably a great deal easier to offload it over there and pick up a nice example here..... but if its sentimental then go for it. Send an email to Customs to confirm, but I think without a licence in Aus, with PTA and import permit, might be a bit of an ordeal...

Maybe get it sent over to a local licence holder then transfer to yourself once you're set up...

Yeah No.4 Mk2 Faz. I knew you guys had quite a few in circulation but I've heard they are hard to come by in unfired mint condition. At least in the UK they are hard to come by, my dealer imported mine back from the states in it's original wrapper. He has a business partner in Australia so I was hoping he could do a dealer to dealer transfer then I pickup once I've got my paperwork sorted. http://www.efdrifles.com
Last edited by grizzly on 07 Jun 2015, 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grizzly
Recruit
Recruit

United Kingdom

Post by grizzly » 07 Jun 2015, 7:36 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:
grizzly wrote:Hi All,

I'm moving to Sydney from the UK at the end of the year and looking to bring my Lee Enfield with me. I'm thinking of getting a dealer here to hold it and send it over when I have joined a club and have all the paperwork, licence etc. in place.

Thanks,

Grizzly

You can bring it in yourself if you have a license,permit to acquire and a B709 for customs,customs will seize it a dealer will have to pick it up and register it for you before handing it over to you,my LGS charges $200 to pick up from customs no difference for 1 or 2 guns.

The best thing might be to contact Police here and see if you can apply for a license and permit to acquire for a gun you already own to bring it with you when you migrate here,is the LE registered to you in the UK?
http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/services/firearms

If you came here as a tourist for a hunting safari you could bring your Cat B gun here for hunting,check out international permits and then ask them why you have to wait when you wouldn't have to if you came here for a hunting safari. :mrgreen:

Category H license for pistols,read police link for more details.

Thanks for the info. Yeah it's on my licence in the UK. I did have a quick look at the licence, PTA and import process. I'll have another look and contact NSW Police to see if there is anyway round it but I have a feeling dealer to dealer then wait before I get my CAT B and PTA would be the best option. Don't want to push my luck and get deported in my first week ; ) Useful to know how much your local dealer charges to pickup :thumbsup:
grizzly
Recruit
Recruit

United Kingdom

Post by pomemax » 08 Jun 2015, 9:11 pm

If you going to Sydney SSAA range at ST Marys western suburbs is the go open from 10am till 10 pm apart from sunday 6pm
a 50meter indoor range to get you started they have a pistol club there too so you can do ipsc when you jump through all the hoops to get Handgus (H) on your licence .
you need to join SSAA https://membership.ssaa.org.au/forms/join Being a member of ssa is justifiable reason to have a firearms licence in nsw just for some reading they do have safes for hire at the club, may be best way till you get sorted out with your own. join ssaa do the saftey training course then get licence then import your 303 would be easy way if you have someone you trust in uk that can hold on their licence
The other point is they are a Gun shop im not 100% sure but I think they can pick up from customs if you need them to http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resou ... s_001.pdfo .
I know when we came over dad sold all his started new here dont forget the pta and imports are for Australian licence holders .Not for imigrants it may be different you may is you have a valid UK Licence you can get a temp licence same as when we go to NZ look into that
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by grizzly » 09 Jun 2015, 7:02 am

pomemax wrote:If you going to Sydney SSAA range at ST Marys western suburbs is the go open from 10am till 10 pm apart from sunday 6pm
a 50meter indoor range to get you started they have a pistol club there too so you can do ipsc when you jump through all the hoops to get Handgus (H) on your licence .
you need to join SSAA https://membership.ssaa.org.au/forms/join Being a member of ssa is justifiable reason to have a firearms licence in nsw just for some reading they do have safes for hire at the club, may be best way till you get sorted out with your own. join ssaa do the saftey training course then get licence then import your 303 would be easy way if you have someone you trust in uk that can hold on their licence
The other point is they are a Gun shop im not 100% sure but I think they can pick up from customs if you need them to http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resou ... s_001.pdfo .
I know when we came over dad sold all his started new here dont forget the pta and imports are for Australian licence holders .Not for imigrants it may be different you may is you have a valid UK Licence you can get a temp licence same as when we go to NZ look into that

Thanks for the info Pomemax. That would be a good fix to start off - pistol, rifle and getting my 303 imported. Do you have to join SSAA to get a licence? Or do I just need to join any club that is affiliated with SSAA? I do prefer shooting outdoors though so was looking at joining Blacktown or St Ives pistol club then thinking of finding a service rifle club that shoots outdoors or maybe at the Anzac range.

Good point about the licensing. I need to look into that as I may be able to bypass some requirements as an immigrant.
grizzly
Recruit
Recruit

United Kingdom

Post by Seconds » 10 Jun 2015, 10:36 am

grizzly wrote:Do you have to join SSAA to get a licence? Or do I just need to join any club that is affiliated with SSAA? I do prefer shooting outdoors though so was looking at joining Blacktown or St Ives pistol club then thinking of finding a service rifle club that shoots outdoors or maybe at the Anzac range.

To get a license and firearms here you need to provide a "genuine reason" which can be target shooting or hunting with an approved club. The SSAA is an approved target shooting club and approved hunting club so covers you for both.

It's not the only way but probably the easiest to cover yourself for both activities.
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Old Fart » 10 Jun 2015, 10:37 am

Beauty of a rifle you have there.
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - .270 Winchester Short Magnum
Uberti 1873 Short Rifle - .45 Colt
Winchester Model 70 Coyote Varmint - .22-250 Remington
Old Fart
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Utcherd » 23 Jun 2015, 2:32 pm

grizzly wrote:That would be a good fix to start off - pistol, rifle and getting my 303 imported.

Just FYI takes about a month for your longarm license and waiting period for first longarm.

Takes 9 months I think for pistol license in most states, so you won't be starting with pistol :|
Utcherd
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by AusTac » 23 Jun 2015, 9:37 pm

Totally off topic but that's a cracking rifle you have there mate, good luck and keep her safe
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by pomemax » 23 Jun 2015, 11:06 pm

Yer is just a way of having a reason to have a licence joining ssaa by the way i looked up your club in uk you shot that 303 ok lol long live youtube haha blacktown or st ives is ok but limited in hours compared to st marys not sure if they have storage at the clube like st marys $30 a month at st marys for rifle and $39 for pistol but thats a long way of yet for you.
SSAA have other Ranges in sydney too Silverdale goes out to 200 meters (Far western satalite sub )
and they are trying to get back in to malabar out to 800 (eastern sub)
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Wes » 30 Jun 2015, 10:56 am

AusTac wrote:Totally off topic but that's a cracking rifle you have there mate, good luck and keep her safe

Pretty sure this is a shooting forum so you're roughly on topic :lol:
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles