First/New firearm!!!

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: First/New firearm!!!

Post by Arth » 16 Jun 2015, 1:50 pm

Lanox is for both cleaning and protection.

Some aren't. Some use one thing for cleaning and then a different oil after for protection. Can be because of different stock wants something different or personal preferences or whatever the case may be.

I'm sure Seconds was just saying - Yes, do the stock the same as you did the rest of the gun. Don't skip it.
Arth
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Seconds » 16 Jun 2015, 2:01 pm

Yeah mate.
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Tiger650 » 16 Jun 2015, 2:19 pm

Just a word of caution when cycling the rifle to run the action in.
Do not ever dry fire a rimfire gun, I shall explain.
Without a cartridge rim in place the firing pin will eventually peen the edge of the chamber so as to displace metal into the chamber, you will get feeding issues and especially extraction issues.
You do not want to dry fire a centrefire either, with nothing to stop the tip of the firing pin it will stretch and eventually separate.
Not familiar with the JW 15 but you can quiet probably de-cock by squeezing the trigger and easing the bolt handle down.
NEVER ON A LOADED ROUND [Not yelling but buggered if I can do bold print]
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by NukeBOMB88 » 16 Jun 2015, 3:59 pm

Tiger650 wrote:Just a word of caution when cycling the rifle to run the action in.
Without a cartridge rim in place the firing pin will eventually peen the edge of the chamber so as to displace metal into the chamber, you will get feeding issues and especially extraction issues.
You do not want to dry fire a centrefire either, with nothing to stop the tip of the firing pin it will stretch and eventually separate.
Not familiar with the JW 15 but you can quiet probably de-cock by squeezing the trigger and easing the bolt handle down.

Yeah the JW-15e does de cock if you do that
Ruger M77 Mkii VT .204
Jw-15e .22
Winchester Model 37a 12ga
Beretta Silver pigeon pump action 12ga
Howa 1500 .223
Howa 1500 .30-06
NukeBOMB88
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by joker » 16 Jun 2015, 11:46 pm

Tiger650 wrote:Just a word of caution when cycling the rifle to run the action in.

You saved me from asking that question lol.

Just the other day I was thinking about if it would be bad to squeeze the trigger with no ammo in the chamber.

But I guess you answers that for me. Cheers mate for the advice :drinks:
joker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by joker » 16 Jun 2015, 11:49 pm

Also thank you arth and seconds ;)
joker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria