Which 303

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Which 303

Post by Ade » 10 Jun 2015, 3:08 pm

As the title says. Trying to decided between a Jungle Carbine or normal 303. What's other people's ideas. Any model preference advantages etc? What's a long tom model 303? Fill me in please
Brno model 2 .22
Beretta silver pigeon 12 bore
I.Hollis and Sons 12 bore side by side hammers sidelock 2,5
Ade
Private
Private

Western Australia

Re: Which 303

Post by 1290 » 10 Jun 2015, 4:28 pm

there are generally 3 types of jungle carbines;
1] English made, based on no.4 actions known as no.5...
2] Aussie made based on no.1 action but I believe were always considered 'experimental'
3] cut down no4 and no1 rifles.....

every Aussie must have at least 1 lee Enfield... preferably a lithy.... just find one with a good barrel,
No.1 or Magazine-Lee-Enfields are the older ones, longer barrel versions, so many iterations, variations, long barrel, short barrel (SMLE) shorter barrel (JC)... you need to spend a night researching... volley sights, 5 round, 10 round, carbine, cavalry, mag cutoff, no cutoff... military issue, commercial, 2 groove, 5 groove, Aussie, English Canadian....Indian too!!.... aaaaahhhhhhhhhh.... so much info...
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 10 Jun 2015, 5:55 pm

To me the no 5's or jungle carbines as they're also known (more about that later) hold no appeal, My ideal .303 would have to be a no 1 simply because that's what was handed to our diggers, almost always british made and now australian made.

the no 4 rifles are thought to be the most accurate of the lot in my experience

I hope to own a decent lithgow one day (when i win lotto) but for now i have to make do with my Maltby no4
Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 10 Jun 2015, 6:22 pm

All reasonable offers considered stevo :unknown: :D :thumbsup:
number1markIIIstar.jpg
number1markIIIstar.jpg (26.81 KiB) Viewed 4979 times
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by aaronjo » 10 Jun 2015, 7:29 pm

Damn those look good!

Old skool antique rifles or modern full stock equivalent, it's like my 69 Corolla. Not as reliable, noisey, breaks down once in a while but always puts a smile on my face when I drive her!
Beretta 87 Target 22LR
Walther PPQ M2 9mm
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .223
aaronjo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Chronos » 10 Jun 2015, 9:28 pm

1290 wrote:All reasonable offers considered stevo :unknown: :D :thumbsup:
number1markIIIstar.jpg

If it's got matching numbers and a bayonet I'll give you $400, free shipping I course :friends:

:sarcasm:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 10 Jun 2015, 10:02 pm

aaronjo wrote:Damn those look good!

Old skool antique rifles or modern full stock equivalent, it's like my 69 Corolla. Not as reliable, noisey, breaks down once in a while but always puts a smile on my face when I drive her!

Don't kid yourself mate, they're as reliable as they come. It was in the design brief. :lol:

I ran some of the previous owners hand loads through it a few weeks ago, within 5 rounds of playing with the rear sight (has a singer style rear) I hit a 300 x 400 mm plate at 300m from a standing position, and ran 10 rounds through it as quick as I could at a 50m target without a second thought. It's beautifully efficient for a 70 year old rifle and feels great to shoot.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by David Brown » 11 Jun 2015, 10:14 am

Interesting timing.

I am sorting through my wife's fathers collection. Some we will keep and some we will not, and there is a .303 receiver and barrel, a new unfitted synthetic stock, some of the original timber. I think he was renovating a damaged original and going to use the synthetic bits.

There is a bolt and I assume it is otherwise fully there, so if any enthusiasts of 303's would like to know more, I will then offer it for sale to them. I have S/n and all the details at home.

By the way it has a bayonet. So apart from the stock, this would have been an original I assume. Anyway….drop me a line if anyone is after one.
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 11 Jun 2015, 10:19 am

PM sent :thumbsup:

Chronos

David Brown wrote:Interesting timing.

I am sorting through my wife's fathers collection. Some we will keep and some we will not, and there is a .303 receiver and barrel, a new unfitted synthetic stock, some of the original timber. I think he was renovating a damaged original and going to use the synthetic bits.

There is a bolt and I assume it is otherwise fully there, so if any enthusiasts of 303's would like to know more, I will then offer it for sale to them. I have S/n and all the details at home.

By the way it has a bayonet. So apart from the stock, this would have been an original I assume. Anyway….drop me a line if anyone is after one.
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by SendIt » 15 Jun 2015, 12:02 pm

bentaz wrote:I say just get one of each! Problem solved ;)

I like your style.
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Hatter » 07 Jul 2015, 10:08 am

I like the handling of the Carbines more.

Just personally.
30-06 Steyr 98 -- .243W Steyr Pro Varmint -- 32-20 WCF Winchester 1885 -- 223 Remington 700 5R
Hatter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by AusTac » 07 Jul 2015, 10:23 am

I'm in the same position mate, trying to find a nice no 4 mk 1 or mk 2 but some of the prices these days, just saw a mk 2 fazakerly go for $2600! Second hand
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Pilch » 07 Jul 2015, 2:31 pm

The originals are 30" barrel I think off the top of my head?

It is quite a bit to swing around.
Pilch
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by as1soldier » 07 Jul 2015, 5:20 pm

1290 wrote:there are generally 3 types of jungle carbines;
1] English made, based on no.4 actions known as no.5...
2] Aussie made based on no.1 action but I believe were always considered 'experimental'
3] cut down no4 and no1 rifles.....

every Aussie must have at least 1 lee Enfield... preferably a lithy.... just find one with a good barrel,
No.1 or Magazine-Lee-Enfields are the older ones, longer barrel versions, so many iterations, variations, long barrel, short barrel (SMLE) shorter barrel (JC)... you need to spend a night researching... volley sights, 5 round, 10 round, carbine, cavalry, mag cutoff, no cutoff... military issue, commercial, 2 groove, 5 groove, Aussie, English Canadian....Indian too!!.... aaaaahhhhhhhhhh.... so much info...

Don't forget Savage Arms, Fazakerley, BSA and Longbranch! ;)
Just wish ammo wasn't so damn expensive!
"Through the mud, the blood, to the green fields beyond."
as1soldier
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by KWhorenet » 07 Jul 2015, 8:46 pm

So I've been told by both Chronos and 1290 once I get the bug to get a .303 it is a 'slippery slope' and or 'affliction'.

Last night I found a model I have Buckley's and no chance of attaining, Experimental Rifle No.6 MkI and Mk I/1, then another in a similar vein and similar chance of attaining...Experimental Rifle No.1 Shortened and Lightened.

Tonight I find another model that I would like to buy, No.1 MkIII* HT
"for the true sniper version which was introduced towards the end of World War II. The designation “HT” indicates heavy barrelled with telescope"

So from just wanting one I now have a shopping list of 3 and probably fat chance of getting any of them for less than a kidney :crazy:
Something will pop up to tide me over in the mean time. Should get onto an old bloke I know in Tas who once loaned a couple of 303's of some designation and a free case of ammo to me and a mate to cull feral goats in the Derwent Valley. He used to have these sorts of rifles misplaced in sheds, cupboards and trunks all over his property (pre PAM).
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by chacka » 08 Jul 2015, 10:17 am

Pilch wrote:The originals are 30" barrel I think off the top of my head?

30", 25" and 19" for the carbine IIRC
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by as1soldier » 08 Jul 2015, 8:21 pm

I owned a jungle carbine about 20 years ago.............should have kept it. I nearly bought a Savage Arms 303 about 2 weeks ago, but the price of the ammo scared me off. Bit of a shame really. I love the old 303's....
"Through the mud, the blood, to the green fields beyond."
as1soldier
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Rakk » 10 Jul 2015, 11:04 am

chacka wrote:30", 25" and 19" for the carbine IIRC

30.2", 25.2" and 18.8" if you wan't to be real fussy.

(And yes I cheated and looked that up :lol:)
Rakk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Rakk » 10 Jul 2015, 11:05 am

as1soldier wrote:I nearly bought a Savage Arms 303 about 2 weeks ago, but the price of the ammo scared me off.

Is it that bad? I thought it had come around recently and was comparable to .308 for factory?

And reloading is not expensive of course.
Rakk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Norton » 13 Jul 2015, 2:11 pm

KWhorenet wrote:So from just wanting one I now have a shopping list of 3 and probably fat chance of getting any of them for less than a kidney :crazy:

There's a reason evolution gave us 2 kidneys :lol:
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by KWhorenet » 13 Jul 2015, 5:49 pm

Norton wrote:
KWhorenet wrote:So from just wanting one I now have a shopping list of 3 and probably fat chance of getting any of them for less than a kidney :crazy:

There's a reason evolution gave us 2 kidneys :lol:

My kidneys are safe, my liver regenerates quickly so harvesting pieces for the Body Parts trade will be on the cards. Sell a 3rd per year and retire.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Arth » 16 Jul 2015, 1:15 pm

Yeah I always sell a bit of spare liver when I need to pay the bills :lol:
Arth
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles