Savage Axis Advise.

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Savage Axis Advise.

Post by JamesD » 25 Oct 2013, 10:26 am

G'day

Had a mate ring me while ago and asked if I still hunt, I said yeah but haven't got any firearms anymore as I use my families ones when out west.

So anyway he said get yourself sorted as I've got half a dozen properties NTh West of your that have a pig and fox problem. No probs got myself a safe etc next is a rifle.

He has some old Ruger in .243, we went down the range the other week and as I shoot left handed, I was shooting off hand getting about 2 inch groups out too 200m.

So I need to set my self up reasonably cheap. I was having a look at the Savage Axis range as a knock about to start with obviously in .243.

Anyone here own or shot one? It's just for starters to keep the missus happy, seen them advertised for around $550.00 in left hand action. Which is reasonable in the eyes of The Finance Minister, aka the wife.

Thanks
JamesD
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Savage Axis Advise.

Post by Lorgar » 25 Oct 2013, 10:43 am

JamesD wrote:He has some old Ruger in .243, we went down the range the other week and as I shoot left handed, I was shooting off hand getting about 2 inch groups out too 200m.

If you're shooting 2" groups free hand with his old Ruger, I say buy that rifle off him.

It seems to agree with you :D

Can't say I'm a Savage expert so I'll leave that to someone else. But +1 for your calibre choice.

I have a Ruger Hawkeye in .243 and with 95gr Ballistic Tips it puts targets DOWN.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by JamesD » 25 Oct 2013, 11:14 am

Lorgar wrote:
JamesD wrote:He has some old Ruger in .243, we went down the range the other week and as I shoot left handed, I was shooting off hand getting about 2 inch groups out too 200m.

If you're shooting 2" groups free hand with his old Ruger, I say buy that rifle off him.

It seems to agree with you :D

Can't say I'm a Savage expert so I'll leave that to someone else. But +1 for your calibre choice.

I have a Ruger Hawkeye in .243 and with 95gr Ballistic Tips it puts targets DOWN.

Thanks mate, those groups came after about 8 or so rounds down range. The look on my mates face was priceless. I turn to him and say what do you expect I'm 38 and have been shooting since I was 6.
JamesD
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by sha » 25 Oct 2013, 11:36 am

Calibre is up to you but you can't fault an Axis I reckon.

Savage is my brand though so I'm a bit biased :lol:
Savage Axis The Definition of Accuracy

Savage 93 .22 WMR
Savage 93R17 .17 HMR
Savage 110FP .308 WIN
sha
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by grainweight » 25 Oct 2013, 11:40 am

You're after a sporter obviously so this isn't quite the same but...

My brother picked up his new Savage 300 win mag bench rifle few weeks ago.

Only one trip to the range to break it in, and a second for some shooting/testing but is right on 2" groups at 200m without any load development or proper testing yet.

+1 for it so far.
grainweight
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by JamesD » 25 Oct 2013, 12:26 pm

Thanks folks Axis it is, will look into the accutrigger as well. Now for all the PTA bullsh*t.

Thanks again.
JamesD
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Usurper » 25 Oct 2013, 1:10 pm

JamesD wrote:Thanks folks Axis it is, will look into the accutrigger as well. Now for all the PTA bulls**t.

One of the many joys of shooting :oops:
.308 CZ 550 American
.222 Tikka Varmint
.357 Mag Marlin 1894
Usurper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by TPCKRT » 26 Oct 2013, 1:18 pm

the axis in 243 is a good budget rifle. dad has one and the only mod was a timney trigger for it and that just made it 100x better.
Never Point Your Firearm At Something Your Not Willing To Shoot...
.177 - .22 - .204 - .300wm - 12g
Current Score:
7x Cats 65x Foxes 4x Fallow
TPCKRT
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Techc » 26 Oct 2013, 6:52 pm

Like my signature says, I have a Savage Model 12 FV.

Not .243 like you're after, but Savage is a winning rifle in my book.
.223 Remington Savage Model 12 FV
.308 Remington 700 SPS tactical
Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40mm
Techc
Private
Private

South Australia

Return to Centerfire rifles