M70 featherweight .22-250 won't shoot under 2" group

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: M70 featherweight .22-250 won't shoot under 2" group

Post by Gwion » 21 Jul 2015, 8:44 am

MalleeFarmer wrote:The Stock is bedded on the recoil lugs around the action screws and the barrel is free floated from the factory. FNH did a very nice job of them .....

If by the the above you mean to say that it is point bedded rather than fully bedded; and if (by your other posts) it is also very tight in that point bedding; it is sounding more and more like classic bedding issues caused from, a/ action 'hanging up' during battery, &/or, b/ stress in the action from not being correctly set into the bedding in the first place.

Find someone who can rebed it properly for you, or learn to do it yourself:
http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowled ... tions.html
Read the page linked above (all the way down) and watch the vids. The goo costs about $30 posted and to do it properly takes 2-3 sessions of 2-3 hours at a time. I have bedded my rifle into two stocks now. It shoots 0.5MOA on average. All i did was follow instructions.

Hope you get it sorted soon.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Re: M70 featherweight .22-250 won't shoot under 2" group

Post by rummer » 27 Jul 2015, 10:46 am

Oldbloke wrote:If the bedding is that bad, sounds like warrenty to me. Perhaps ph the vic consumer affairs? Could write a letter to winchester stating u do not believe it is up to the quality standards you expected. The consumer act states goods need to be up to a feasonable standard. Perhaps worth a try if u are up for about $200 to have the bedding rectified.

It would have to be repaired under warranty anyway I'm pretty sure.

Now that it's been paid for for a third party to fix I think he's out of luck.

How many hours wasted does it cost you at consumer affairs too :(
Tikka T3 Laminated - 270 Win
Ruger 77/17 - 17 HMR
rummer
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles